Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

Speculation

• Please log in to reply
1495 replies to this topic

Poll: Connauton or Granani (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Which defenceman has more upside,or do You think will be a more valuable Defenceman in the future ?

1. 22 yr old Connauton (167 votes [84.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.34%

2. 25 yr old Gragnani (31 votes [15.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

On a complete OT sidenote to everything being discussed, I think it's interesting that we're likely moving from Winnipeg (once called the "Chicago of the North") to Chicago. The two cities share a history as midwestern transportation hubs, have similar architectural styles (of the older buildings), have many commonalities in residents' ethnic heritage, a similar social culture/values, similar weather/seasons (cold winters, hot summers, windy), and have many cross-border connections.

Winnipeg: Chicago of the North:

http://www.grouptour...php?recid=47710
http://ourrant.ca/ma...o-of-the-north/
http://www.midwestwe...g_manitoba.html

So, the prospects will already be quite used to things, should they move to Chicago. In a way, Chicago is like a much-larger (and much more awesome, if you like big cities) version of Winnipeg (although my Chi-town friends will probably be mad at me for saying this). There are a lot of families from European backgrounds who have relatives in both cites (especially the Poles, Ukrainians, and Italians) and the Winnipeg-Chicago connection goes back pretty far.

Totally non-hockey post but I just thought it was kinda interesting to go from "Chicago of the North" to the real Chicago.

EDIT: typos

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME, 27 June 2011 - 10:21 AM.

#122 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

Oh yeah, it's finally official:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=567430

And the Wolves announced via Twitter a little while ago.

EDIT: I'm hearing it's a two-year commitment.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME, 27 June 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#123 Wolves94

Wolves94

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:46 AM

I gotten an email from Chicago Wolves whom I subscribe to and of ocurse, the announcement about the afflilation agreement.

It's for two years and yes, I'm from Chicago area. No, I'm not invading here as I know there may be some cross registered fans among the fan forums around the world. In Chicago Wolves forum, we do have fans from Rockford and Milwaukee even Grand Rapids signed up and trade some teasing and ribbing along with some information shared with each other.

Now...yes, Chicago Wolves is focused on making money and also develop the players to their best ability. We have a Turner Cup and Calder Cup in our trophy room earned in last 17 years since the inception in 1994. Wolves' rivarly with the Moose has been good but not among the best. The best was with Rockford IceHogs and Milwaukee Admirals. Manitoba and Chicago has been playing each other since days of old IHL.

Changes foreseen....players with 2 way contracts with Atlanta will report to St. John's while those under contracts with Vancouver will report to Chicago. Those do not have NHL contract, just a contract with the AHL club remains behind. Therefore, we will see a different lineups with chemistry likely to be figured out.

We do have hockey teams here in Chi-town besides your enemy, Blackhakws (winks) . There's ECHL team, Chicago Express that would start their first season this fall and is not afflilated with any AHL team yet. The Express replaces defunct UHL team, Chicago Hounds.

The players like Haydar and Krog, they're core of the team and had a down year previous season after placing first in West Division last year and has good coach that I do not know whether he would remain or be replaced. The reason for the down year is that we do not have good goalies and the defense is not sparkling despite having the SAME group of players from last year that won the division.

After reading some of the messages here, I do agree that it's "temporary" considering that it's only two years and perhaps Vancouver would be able to connect with Abbsortford or buy Portland franchise and relocate it to BC or Alberta. Chicago Wolves would seek a NHL team that would be interested in having short travel time to shuttle the players back and forth and able to send scouts to monitor player development process and look around college hockey leagues nearby.

Until then, I'm here and not baring the fangs but welcome you all!

#124 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,659 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

I wonder who the coach will end up being, Kirk Muller ended up signing with Nashville to coach the Milwaukee Admirals.
Posted Image

#125 Guest_Voucer_*

Guest_Voucer_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Somebody needs to change the name of this section.

#126 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Yeah. Calling Bieksa3. Please change the name to Canuck Prospects and Chicago Wolves. :frantic:
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#127 kennedy08

kennedy08

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

7 Pages worth of content I don't think this has been discussed:

With the switch, how do all our players transfer to the team? ie: Baumgardner, Schroeder, hodgson, Lack etc. Do they all have to tryout for the new team or...?

or is it like the HA did to other motorcycle gangs and do a "patch over" and the guys just "become" wolves?

Edited by kennedy08, 27 June 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#128 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

7 Pages worth of content I don't think this has been discussed:

With the switch, how do all our players transfer to the team? ie: Baumgardner, Schroeder, hodgson, Lack etc. Do they all have to tryout for the new team or...?

or is it like the HA did to other motorcycle gangs and do a "patch over" and the guys just "become" wolves?

Well, they would get on a plane and arrive in Chicago and start playing with their new team.

They are Canucks' property, so they play for any team that we assign them to. Now that the Wolves are Canucks' affiliate, we assign them there.

#129 kennedy08

kennedy08

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Well, they would get on a plane and arrive in Chicago and start playing with their new team.

They are Canucks' property, so they play for any team that we assign them to. Now that the Wolves are Canucks' affiliate, we assign them there.

Makes sense! Thanks for the clarification! I assumed it wouldnt be difficult but had no idea!

#130 2 Sedins 1 cup

2 Sedins 1 cup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

The Wolves have a rivalry with Rockford right..... looks like we are REALLY gearing for a long rivalry with the Hawks :P
Posted Image
rk17

Quote me on this. The Flames will win their Second Stanley Cup before the Canucks win their first. :P

Sometimes people shouldn't have their opinions heard.

Led Zeppelin is overrated.

#131 Schreque

Schreque

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

The Wolves have a rivalry with Rockford right..... looks like we are REALLY gearing for a long rivalry with the Hawks :P

if the Canucks owned players all get on a plane and go to Chicago, what are they transferring to St Johns? coach and GM? where do they get players from?

#132 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,659 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

if the Canucks owned players all get on a plane and go to Chicago, what are they transferring to St Johns? coach and GM? where do they get players from?

The Manitoba Moose franchise relocated to St. Johns, and is Winnipeg's farm team so they [Winnipeg] can send their eligible contracted players to play there.
Posted Image

#133 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

To those who are knowledgeable on our prospects, please list the Canuck prospects you think will be in the Wolves roster. Thanks!

#134 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,659 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

To those who are knowledgeable on our prospects, please list the Canuck prospects you think will be in the Wolves roster. Thanks!

Current contracted players:
  • Anton Rodin
  • Jordan Schroeder
  • Bill Sweatt
  • Aaron Volpatti
  • Steven Anthony
  • Cody Hodgson
  • Stefan Schneider
  • Kevin Connauton
  • Yann Sauve
  • Eddie Lack
When Alex Friesen, and Darren Archibald get signed they should end up playing for the Wolves as well.
Posted Image

#135 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Bieksa3! How about Euros like Andersson the Dman and Froshaug? Is Grenier and the Swede 7th rounder eligible? I guess the FA signing Erixon would be in?

#136 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

Now, the Vets. Are there any signed by the Canucks like Rosa and Baummer?

#137 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

isnt Grenier only 19 and going back for a 20 year old overage chl season?

the mooseheads just traded for him expecting him to???...........

Yes, the Halifax Mooseheads did trade for him thinking he'll be back for one more season. I expect he'll be sent back for his overage year.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#138 BlackOut

BlackOut

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

:)

#139 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,659 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:11 PM

Thanks Bieksa3! How about Euros like Andersson the Dman and Froshaug? Is Grenier and the Swede 7th rounder eligible? I guess the FA signing Erixon would be in?

Well Peter Andersson was loaned to Orebro of the SEL, so he will play there this year. We don't have Froshaug under a contract, so until then, he will continue to play in Norway. Grenier should return to the Q, to play for Halifax. Tommernes is under contract with Frolunda for one more season, and I'm not to familiar with the transfer agreement.

Now, the Vets. Are there any signed by the Canucks like Rosa and Baummer?

Baumgartner will be an UFA come July 1st, and we didn't have Rosa under contract, the Moose did.
Posted Image

#140 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:16 PM

Well Peter Andersson was loaned to Orebro of the SEL, so he will play there this year. We don't have Froshaug under a contract, so until then, he will continue to play in Norway. Grenier should return to the Q, to play for Halifax. Tommernes is under contract with Frolunda for one more season, and I'm not to familiar with the transfer agreement.

Baumgartner will be an UFA come July 1st, and we didn't have Rosa under contract, the Moose did.

I don't know how many times I heard Bob Mackenzie talk about this at the draft but here's the rundown:

As per the transfer agreement:

The Canucks have up until July 15 to sign him; if the Canucks do, then Tommernes can report to Canucks camp and compete.

If Tommernes does not make the Canucks, then he would be assigned back to Frolunda.

If Tommernes doesn't sign with the Canucks before July 15, then he will play in Frolunda ( and this is the more likely scenario.
Posted Image

#141 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,659 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

I don't know how many times I heard Bob Mackenzie talk about this at the draft but here's the rundown:

As per the transfer agreement:

The Canucks have up until July 15 to sign him; if the Canucks do, then Tommernes can report to Canucks camp and compete.

If Tommernes does not make the Canucks, then he would be assigned back to Frolunda.

If Tommernes doesn't sign with the Canucks before July 15, then he will play in Frolunda ( and this is the more likely scenario.

All right, thanks for the explanation.

I think he will play in Frolunda as well, hopefully Frolunda has a better year this season. Also Peter Andersson is going to play in the Allsvenskan this season, he had poor numbers in the Elitserien for Frolunda last year, and he didn't fair much better in the Allsvenksan too.
Posted Image

#142 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:53 PM

All right, thanks for the explanation.

I think he will play in Frolunda as well, hopefully Frolunda has a better year this season. Also Peter Andersson is going to play in the Allsvenskan this season, he had poor numbers in the Elitserien for Frolunda last year, and he didn't fair much better in the Allsvenksan too.

No worries - Bob Mackenzie would say it EVERY time a swedish player was drafted.

I feel like I can hear it in my sleep.
Posted Image

#143 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,659 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:08 AM

No worries - Bob Mackenzie would say it EVERY time a swedish player was drafted.

I feel like I can hear it in my sleep.

Sort of like Pierre McGuire's naming of every players father or relative that played in the NHL and stating what team they played for and how they were a good guy. Oh let's not forget that he will give them a nickname like Danny if their first name is Dan and if it happens to be a foreign name he will try and pronounce it like it is in the native language?
Posted Image

#144 hockey21383

hockey21383

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

Than where does all the people that are on the Chicago Wolves go? do they stay their. I think they should leave and make room for CANUCKS PROSPECTS only

#145 willhouse

willhouse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:22 AM

Than where does all the people that are on the Chicago Wolves go? do they stay their. I think they should leave and make room for CANUCKS PROSPECTS only

They go to whatever teams that owns their rights wants them to go. In most cases since Atlanta was the previous NHL club for the wolves all the prospects will go to the new Winnipeg farm team, the St. Johns (insert team name here)

#146 willhouse

willhouse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:28 AM

Well here's to a new relationship with the Chicago Wolves. Hopefully our prospects develop into studs and the team wins Calder trophies!

#147 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,659 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

The players who had contracts with the Chicago Wolves stay with the Wolves, which is currently two players. The players that had contracts with the Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets are going to their new affiliate in St. Johns.
Posted Image

#148 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,659 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:47 AM

@Squeak
Just read an article that Laurence Gilman and the Canucks think Tommernes can step into the American League. Whether he was implying this year or not.
Posted Image

#149 G50

G50

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:58 AM

Hello.

Original 1994 Chicago Wolves fan here, It's going to be interesting having the Canucks as the Parent Club.B)

Hopefully the 2 teams can work well together, and have a good relationship for the time together.

Edited by G50, 28 June 2011 - 02:06 AM.

#150 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:14 AM

@Squeak
Just read an article that Laurence Gilman and the Canucks think Tommernes can step into the American League. Whether he was implying this year or not.

Hmmm...

I got nothing then, maybe the rules I listed dont apply because of Tommernes age

Edit: i found the article you were refering to... I guess due to his age the rules that Bob said dont apply

Edited by Squeak, 28 June 2011 - 02:22 AM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.