The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

b3.

Connauton or Granani  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On a complete OT sidenote to everything being discussed, I think it's interesting that we're likely moving from Winnipeg (once called the "Chicago of the North") to Chicago. The two cities share a history as midwestern transportation hubs, have similar architectural styles (of the older buildings), have many commonalities in residents' ethnic heritage, a similar social culture/values, similar weather/seasons (cold winters, hot summers, windy), and have many cross-border connections.

Winnipeg: Chicago of the North:

http://www.grouptour...php?recid=47710

http://ourrant.ca/ma...o-of-the-north/

http://www.midwestwe...g_manitoba.html

So, the prospects will already be quite used to things, should they move to Chicago. In a way, Chicago is like a much-larger (and much more awesome, if you like big cities) version of Winnipeg (although my Chi-town friends will probably be mad at me for saying this). There are a lot of families from European backgrounds who have relatives in both cites (especially the Poles, Ukrainians, and Italians) and the Winnipeg-Chicago connection goes back pretty far.

Totally non-hockey post but I just thought it was kinda interesting to go from "Chicago of the North" to the real Chicago.

EDIT: typos

I gotten an email from Chicago Wolves whom I subscribe to and of ocurse, the announcement about the afflilation agreement.

It's for two years and yes, I'm from Chicago area. No, I'm not invading here as I know there may be some cross registered fans among the fan forums around the world. In Chicago Wolves forum, we do have fans from Rockford and Milwaukee even Grand Rapids signed up and trade some teasing and ribbing along with some information shared with each other.

Now...yes, Chicago Wolves is focused on making money and also develop the players to their best ability. We have a Turner Cup and Calder Cup in our trophy room earned in last 17 years since the inception in 1994. Wolves' rivarly with the Moose has been good but not among the best. The best was with Rockford IceHogs and Milwaukee Admirals. Manitoba and Chicago has been playing each other since days of old IHL.

Changes foreseen....players with 2 way contracts with Atlanta will report to St. John's while those under contracts with Vancouver will report to Chicago. Those do not have NHL contract, just a contract with the AHL club remains behind. Therefore, we will see a different lineups with chemistry likely to be figured out.

We do have hockey teams here in Chi-town besides your enemy, Blackhakws (winks) . There's ECHL team, Chicago Express that would start their first season this fall and is not afflilated with any AHL team yet. The Express replaces defunct UHL team, Chicago Hounds.

The players like Haydar and Krog, they're core of the team and had a down year previous season after placing first in West Division last year and has good coach that I do not know whether he would remain or be replaced. The reason for the down year is that we do not have good goalies and the defense is not sparkling despite having the SAME group of players from last year that won the division.

After reading some of the messages here, I do agree that it's "temporary" considering that it's only two years and perhaps Vancouver would be able to connect with Abbsortford or buy Portland franchise and relocate it to BC or Alberta. Chicago Wolves would seek a NHL team that would be interested in having short travel time to shuttle the players back and forth and able to send scouts to monitor player development process and look around college hockey leagues nearby.

Until then, I'm here and not baring the fangs but welcome you all!

7 Pages worth of content I don't think this has been discussed:

With the switch, how do all our players transfer to the team? ie: Baumgardner, Schroeder, hodgson, Lack etc. Do they all have to tryout for the new team or...?

or is it like the HA did to other motorcycle gangs and do a "patch over" and the guys just "become" wolves?

7 Pages worth of content I don't think this has been discussed:

With the switch, how do all our players transfer to the team? ie: Baumgardner, Schroeder, hodgson, Lack etc. Do they all have to tryout for the new team or...?

or is it like the HA did to other motorcycle gangs and do a "patch over" and the guys just "become" wolves?

Well, they would get on a plane and arrive in Chicago and start playing with their new team.

They are Canucks' property, so they play for any team that we assign them to. Now that the Wolves are Canucks' affiliate, we assign them there.

if the Canucks owned players all get on a plane and go to Chicago, what are they transferring to St Johns? coach and GM? where do they get players from?

The Manitoba Moose franchise relocated to St. Johns, and is Winnipeg's farm team so they [Winnipeg] can send their eligible contracted players to play there.

To those who are knowledgeable on our prospects, please list the Canuck prospects you think will be in the Wolves roster. Thanks!

Current contracted players:

• Anton Rodin
  • Jordan Schroeder
  • Bill Sweatt
  • Aaron Volpatti
  • Steven Anthony
  • Cody Hodgson
  • Stefan Schneider
  • Kevin Connauton
  • Yann Sauve
  • Eddie Lack

When Alex Friesen, and Darren Archibald get signed they should end up playing for the Wolves as well.

Thanks Bieksa3! How about Euros like Andersson the Dman and Froshaug? Is Grenier and the Swede 7th rounder eligible? I guess the FA signing Erixon would be in?

Well Peter Andersson was loaned to Orebro of the SEL, so he will play there this year. We don't have Froshaug under a contract, so until then, he will continue to play in Norway. Grenier should return to the Q, to play for Halifax. Tommernes is under contract with Frolunda for one more season, and I'm not to familiar with the transfer agreement.

Now, the Vets. Are there any signed by the Canucks like Rosa and Baummer?

Baumgartner will be an UFA come July 1st, and we didn't have Rosa under contract, the Moose did.

Well Peter Andersson was loaned to Orebro of the SEL, so he will play there this year. We don't have Froshaug under a contract, so until then, he will continue to play in Norway. Grenier should return to the Q, to play for Halifax. Tommernes is under contract with Frolunda for one more season, and I'm not to familiar with the transfer agreement.

Baumgartner will be an UFA come July 1st, and we didn't have Rosa under contract, the Moose did.

Archived