The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

Good news is that thousands of volunteers are going downtown to clean up the mess of last night's despicable act. Lots of photos have been added onto Facebook of people cleaning up the mess.

From the looks of it, downtown is looking much better. Of course, the broken windows will take some time to replace but the streets are pretty much clean!

Well done, these are true Canuck fans. :towel:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Post-Riot-Clean-up-Lets-help-Vancouver/215683225132481#!/pages/Post-Riot-Clean-up-Lets-help-Vancouver/215683225132481

4) Alcohol and big screens don't cause these things alone. If you want to have big screens, you need to build a fence around them and control everyone who wants to join the party. No weapons, bottles or other dangerous items should be allowed. Actually, I can't believe that a well-organized country like Canada has no such thing as a security check on viewing parties... Alcohol should only be sold within the zones, not more than two cups per customer at once.

Seems this riot is making headline news around the world - not the black eye this beautiful city needed. I agree with one poster earlier that the rioters were probably not true hockey fans, but it's a sad reflection on the great community of Vancouver, who the world saw through a different lens last year during the Olympics. Be glad this riot happened AFTER the Olympics and not before....if it had to happen at all.

Hard to believe there were over 150 injuries and millions in damage, all because of a handful of idiots: http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/vancouver-riots-overturn-cars-set-fires-boston-bruins-canucks-stanley-cup-finals-game-7-061511?gt1=39002

You are completely right about the need for security checks to get into these zones. If people don't want to be searched, they can leave. Otherwise, you cannot exclude the troublemakers from getting in. However, these zones should be alcohol free because people should be able to go to these events with their families and I know a lot who did not dare go downtown due to worries about the potential for trouble.

I'm not gonna read 377 posts... but here is my view. I was there last night.

I'm a die hard fan for almost 8 years now. I watched all 7 finals games DT. One thing everyone should know....

ATLEAST %75 of the DT viewing population is complete bandwagon fans with no hockey knowledge. These guys bought jerseys just for the playoffs... I'm also positive %95 of the rioters consisted of these guys or people that didn't know the FIRST thing about hockey. I guarantee you 20% of the crowd was just watching their first or second hockey game. THATS IT.

Real Canucks fans didn't riot. These guys had no reason to be frustrated... they didn't know sh**... they didn't know how we were done unfairly by the NHL in the previous games... and series... and years! They're only reason was to get drunk. I also know for a fact people saying things like... who cares about hockey I like soccer (or w.e other sport) lets just go looting/rioting.

THIS RIOT WAS NOT A REFLECTION ON ANY TRUE FAN.

Yeah I also heard the girl in the kiss photo was hurt (stabbed?) and her BF was trying to comfort her. There is at least one other picture of the two of them taken from above from an apartment with a few people standing there looking at them.

I did search and did not see a similar topic, if I missed it I apologize.

The riot was disconcerting. The most disturbing part, of course was that people were injured. A secondary concern after the safety of our fellow citizens has been that our town, our team and our fanbase has been tarnished by the actions of a few.

As we have done on these boards in the past, let's turn this into as much of a postive as we can. Many people already have done so by helping to clean up or by signing the plywood boarding up broken windows with messages of support and protest against the violence. Those actions are great, please keep it up.

For those who can afford to do it, please consider making a donation to Canuck Place and dedicating it expressly to the Honour of the Spirit True of Canucks Fans. That true spirit is giving, helpful and community focussed, not destructive and petulant. I know some people have already donated today in response to the ugliness of last night. I have done so, but let's try to make it a statement and show how true Canucks fans act!

Canuck Place

If Canuck Place isn't your preferred charity, donate anywhere, but do it in Honour of the Spirit of True Canuck Fans.

Regards

N.

Archived