The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

As far as I can see there have been no charges laid as of yet. The Vancouver Sun story of his apology states:

He has not been charged, nor have police said he is being investigated.

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1Pgj30G3I

In this case he went on camera himself.

These sorts of cases may result in a re-examination of how the no publication rules under the YCJA may not fit the current technology.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/242742--the-bay-serves-free-breakfast-for-clean-up-volunteers

"Incidentally, the plywood walls of comments that cover the store windows will be coming down on Monday, and turned over to the City of Vancouver."

Hopefully, they're not just going to trash them away. These pieces of wood are now historical.

Once he is before the courts and dealt with under the YCJA no further information will be published unless he is charged with a serious offence such as arson, the Crown elects to seek an adult sentence and the judge imposes one. And then only once he has been sentenced as an adult.

The real story behind the "Riot Kiss" photograph.

Vancouver-riot-kiss-coupl-001.jpg

From photographer Richard Lam's perspective:

The serene photo image of a couple lying on the ground and kissing during the Canucks riot in Vancouver that’s gone viral on the Internet gives lie to the chaos beyond the empty street around them.

“It was scary,” said Vancouver freelance photographer Richard Lam, who shot one of the most talked-about photographs of the thousands shot the night Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup. “There were so many things going on, it was sensory overload.

“Police were reading the riot act, they had Arwen (rubber bullet) guns, there was a guy running at the police, tear gas was deployed, the guy got pepper-sprayed, bottles were flying, a mannequin leg flew past my head,” said Lam, who was hired to shoot the game for Getty Images and later ventured into the riot just as it was getting dark.

Lam found himself stuck between impulsive and potentially hostile looters and riot police swinging batons. He bolted when the officers charged, corraling him and others down the street.

He looked back to see a woman on the ground, not far from a raging fire and the looters smashing windows at the Bay, and assumed she was hurt. He said he was relieved to see someone, a stranger he thought, go to her aid.

“Oh, nice, there’s someone helping her,” he said he thought at the time while snapping their photo.

He first shot the couple in the middle of the empty road – images which turned out to be out of focus – before reframing the shot with the riot officer in the foreground and the line of police in the background.

“Just to have that juxtaposition,” he said.

The couple were eventually identified as Scott Jones, 29, of Australia and his Vancouver girlfriend, Alexandra Thomas, an environmental engineer. She told CBC News she had been pushed down by police, and Jones said he was comforting her.

“She was a bit hysterical afterwards, obviously, and I was just trying to calm her down,” Jones, a bartender and budding actor and standup comedian told CBC News.

It wasn’t until after Lam had dropped off his memory cards full of photos to his editors without viewing them and a colleague commented on the shot of the couple “kissing” that Lam became aware of what he had captured.

He zipped back into the editing suite for a quick look, then grabbed a bite after a day that had begun at 5:30 a.m. and returned to his Richmond home he shares with his wife and young son, for some much-deserved rest at 2:30 a.m.

The first call about the photo came at 8 a.m. from National Public Radio in the U.S.

“He asked me if I realized what was going on and told me the photo was the third most popular item on the Internet,” recalled Lam, who freelanced for Canadian Press for eight years and worked off and on for the Vancouver Sun for 10 years until earlier this year. “I was definitely at a loss for words.”

He received so many calls from media from around the world, he eventually had to defer all interview requests to Getty Images, whose offices worldwide were also deluged by calls.

Lam said his wife had thought the photo might have been photoshopped “because it looked almost too perfect.”

Some commenters online had the same thought and others questioned whether the photograph had been staged, a suggestion which “irritated” Lam because it would have been impossible during the mayhem.

“Literally, it was 10 seconds earlier that police came running at us,” he said, adding he was more concerned about rioters trashing his equipment. “I was trying not to get attacked.”

Nor was there time for him or his editors, who also had been working since early morning, to correct anything on the shot.

“They were waiting for me to come back with the photos,” he said. “They wanted to go home.”

But he laughed at the images he saw online of the couple being photoshopped into photos, including one where they were being held aloft by the Boston Bruins captain in place of the Stanley Cup.

Lam met with the couple, who granted a few media interviews before refusing all other requests, including offers from the U.S. networks to fly them to New York to appear on their morning shows, global exposure a U.S. celebrity agent estimated at $10 million.

Jones told CBC the couple doesn’t need the extra stress and were going to follow through on their plans to travel to California before moving to Australia.

“When I talked to them they were freaking out,” said Lam. “They were caught completely off-guard. They weren’t prepared for the media circus. I told them it was completely up to them whether or not they would talk to the media.”

“They’re very grounded,” he said. “They wanted to enjoy their holiday.”

He said the couple, who didn’t realize their embrace had been beamed around the world until the next day and were overwhelmed by their instant celebrity, nonetheless loved the photo.

Lam was aware others were likening the photo, the rights to which are owned by Getty Images, to the iconic shot by Alfred Eisenstaedt of an American sailor kissing a nurse on VJ Day to mark the momentous end of the Second World War, Aug. 14, 1945, in New York’s Times Square.

“It’s hard for me to comprehend everything that has happened,” he said. “We’ll have to see if it passes the test of time.

“I just always remember what my mentor (at CP, Chuck Stoody) told me, that’s it’s all fishwrap the next day,” he said.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Viral+Riot+Kiss+fame+catches+Vancouver+photographer+subjects+surprise/4970431/story.html#ixzz1PhNHb12y

And the couple's story of how they came to be there. There is a video at the CBC link noted below.

Scott Jones says he was just trying calm his girlfriend down after they both had been hit by Vancouver police when the now-famous photos of them lying in the street and kissing was taken in the midst of Wednesday night's riot.

"They started beating us with the shields, like trying to get us to move," Jones told CBC News in an exclusive television interview Friday.

"We weren't being aggressive towards [police] or anything like that. But eventually they passed over us. And that's when we were on the ground. She was a bit hysterical afterwards, obviously, and I was just trying to calm her down," said Jones, 29, an Australian who's been in Canada for six months.

Alex Thomas said she wasn't sure how she fell, although a witness has told CBCNews.ca [
that the Canadian woman was hit first by rioters and then pushed over by riot police trying to clear the street after rampant vandalism and looting spread through the downtown streets following the Vancouver Canucks' Game -7 Stanley Cup loss to the Boston Bruins.

"Tripped up? I'm not sure. I was starting to get really frightened because I'd never experienced anything like that before, and it's really scary," Thomas told CBC News. "I was upset, and I fell down, and didn't really know exactly what was happening."

Jones said they had been trying to get out of the downtown area but found themselves on a street filled with police in riot gear.

Photos gone viral

"They were literally charging at us and we tried to run away," he said.

Neither Thomas nor Jones blames the police for what happened, but understand they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"[The police] were doing their job," Thomas said.

Jones has been working as a bartender and trying to break into acting and standup comedy. At least one of his comedy routines has been posted on YouTube.

Following the Canucks' loss to the Boston Bruins, images of the kissing couple surrounded by riot police were splashed around the world.

On Twitter, Facebook and other social media, there was early speculation that the picture was staged. CBC.ca immediately launched a search to uncover the identity of the two.

Hannah Jones, Scott's sister from Perth, told CBC News earlier Friday in an email that the man in the pictures is her brother, and he recently started dating Thomas, a former student at the University of Guelph in Ontario.

The two are overwhelmed by all the coverage the picture has gotten, she said, fielding calls from media around the world.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/06/17/vancouver-kissing-couple.html

There is a tough talking new Sheriff in town and she's avowing to get them varmints. OOOPS scratch "Sheriff" given that the BC government has hamstrung the court system by cutting back the sheriff's services to the point that accused are not being tried due to concerns over courtroom security.

There is a tough talking new Sheriff Marshall in town and she's avowing to get them varmints. Here is what Marshall Christy (aka BC Premier Christy Clark) had to say about how her government will deal with them and she vows to get them thar dad gum sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croakers. (Blazing Saddles reference - authentic frontier gibberish by Gabby Hays)

“Those days a slap on the wrist for these kind of people are over. I want to see an end to that revolving door of justice. I want the people who are responsible for this and who were perhaps responsible for causing trouble during the Olympics ... I want them to see the inside of a jail cell.”

“I want to say this to those people who were involved in this: we will catch you. There is a mountain of evidence out there against you and it is coming into police every single day. It is coming in and we are going to find you, we are going to charge you and we are going to prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law. And when we have done that we are going to make sure you don’t find your way back on to the streets of Vancouver again to do this to our city.”

“Yes, it was property crime, but it was crime that affected our own belief in our society, our sense of a civil society. It affected every single person in our city and our belief in who we are. I think people have a huge appetite to make sure that this city belongs to us, not to those guys.”

The province will pay for the entire investigative and prosecutorial program. Clark said the attorney-general and solicitor generals’ departments have been asked for methods to speed up prosecution so that the courts don’t get clogged with cases, especially since they are already backlogged with serious crime cases involving murder and sexual assault.

(Marshall Christy) Clark was asked if the province will have to hire back sherriffs to help speed up the court cases.

“Well, it’s possible. We may have to some things specifically to get these sets of cases through the courts. There is the broader question of the sherriffs, which we are working at resolving,” she said. “In addition to that we are trying to find ways to speed these specific cases through the court system.”

We want them off the streets of the city and we need to send a message to people that Vancouver is not the kind of a place where you can get away with this kind of thing.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Premier+Clark+wants+jail+time+rioters/4966722/story.html

I think the Marshall then added a "dad gummit" for emphasis.

And you know that these people being outted on facebook for saying "The Riots were awesome" actually set stuff on fire? Actually got into a fight? The point is, this vigilante justice is NOT justice.

So someone who kicked in a window or took a $300 purse or flipped a car deserves to have their future destroyed for one drunken mistake? Instead, you'd rather destroy their lives? Right, make them live on E.I. for 6 months and cost tax payers MORE money... that makes sense...

So no one here has downloaded $100,000 worth of music/movies from torrents? Oh right, big music and movie companies make millions so it's ok... but London drugs, they need our help.

Maybe you've been a model citizen your entire life Deb, but most people haven't - most of us make mistakes. I'm not saying they should be given anonymity, or get off scott free - I'm saying we have no right to impose our own mob justice on them and wreck the lives and careers of teens who got drunk and made a mistake. They should be punished, they should have to pay their dues, but not by us. That's why we have the police, the courts and a government.

This is all just about vengeance because everyone is angry. This isn't about justice.

Archived