#1351 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:50 AM

Dear 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup Rioters,

Please stop saying you're sorry. Stop posting YouTube videos begging for forgiveness. Stop writing letters asking that society cut you some slack and leave you alone.

While you were drunk and flipping cars, I was driving with all of my emergency equipment on to get into Vancouver. While you were throwing anything you could get your hands on at the police, I was pressure testing my APR and standing in the middle of the tear gas. While you and thousands of others disgraced Vancouver and its surrounding population, I stood shoulder to shoulder with a couple hundred men and women, whom I trust my life with, ready to address your indiscretions.

You came up to me like you owned the streets in your drunken stupor, thrust your middle fingers in my face and shouted obscenities; I didn't snap you in half.

Actions speak louder than words.

You started "harmless" fires. You torched other men and women's cars whom you'd never met and never did you wrong. You assaulted firemen as they arrived to try and deal with your "mistakes". You took limited, valuable emergency resources away from good people who needed them. You endangered more lives by tying up emergency services than you ever considered.

You started fights. You stabbed people you'd never met because they somehow made you angry. You gave men and women trying to protect property life altering concussions. You brought paramedics into the tear gas and exhausted them trying to save people they'd never met.

You showed up to hospital emergency rooms crying because you'd been exposed to tear gas. You got obnoxious and demanded to be treated like you were somehow dying. You knew it was a riot, you chose not to leave, you chose to stick around and breathe the tear gas in. You took nurses and doctors away from people who needed their care to live. People they'd never met but work tirelessly to save. You demanded to be treated as if you were better than the rest of society.

You'd tell me that the emergency services personnel I speak of are paid to do this job and chose to be there. You're right. We give a damn about people we've never met and property that isn't ours, that's why we do what we do. You disgust us.

What brought a tear to my eye, after the gas had cleared, was standing in the middle of an intersection at about 3am the only people I'd seen for the last 30 minutes were other police officers, until a shop keeper brought us a case of water. Then I saw a random person with a broom clearing the sidewalk. I had a duty to respond, the citizens of Vancouver immediately afterward could have just left it up to those paid to deal with it. They didn't just stand by, they came out in force and cleaned up after your indiscretions. Everyone I saw that early morning thanked me, I was only doing my job. I have the utmost respect for all of the people from Vancouver and the surrounding areas that came downtown and volunteered to clean up after you.

You owe Vancouver and the surrounding population more than mere words. Don't you dare ask for our forgiveness without taking responsibility. You can't fix life altering injuries with an "I'm Sorry". You can't repay someone's car loan with a YouTube video. You ask that people leave you and your family alone but you offer no way to replace priceless losses.

You'll sleep soundly in your bed tonight because men and women like me will always be there to deal with your poor choices. You have no idea how fortunate you are, even after we arrest and charge you. Even though you disgust me, if you call for me in the middle of the night I'll respond. I'll protect your life and property because it's right and it's what I do.

The evening of June 15, 2011 fellow emergency services personnel, my brothers and sisters, left our families at home and while grossly out numbered stood to fight. The morning of June 16, 2011 the true heroes emerged to volunteer their time and restored my faith in humanity.

Actions speak louder than words. What are you going to do about that?

— a police officer from the suburbs, who was called in to serve and protect on that night; a proud Vancouverite.

http://riot2011frontlines.tumblr.com/post/6860088383/please-stop-apologizing-a-police-officers-letter-to

Edited by Super19, 25 June 2011 - 01:51 AM.

Posted Image

#1352 Justin.

Justin.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:35 AM

^Well-said. Although my previous experiences with the VPD have always been positive, I never have had as much an appreciation/love for them as I did after the riot.

The kissing couple annoys me. Kind of wishing the story would just go away now, but YT doesn't seem to want to forget. Edit: HOLY CRAP a million views in a day?! :shock: :blink: HOW? Wishing this fame had happened to actual heroes in the riot instead of this pair who did nothing but be a nuisance.

Edited by Justin., 25 June 2011 - 03:04 AM.

#1353 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

These rioters could have the best apology, like an outstanding apology, like some of you claim the one guy who is gay' claim he had a good apology. Sure, he didn't blame anyone but himself, but he trashed your city. Your city. And you let up because he apologized - not before he was caught, after. And yet people let up on him, which is exactly what he's aiming for.

Many more, when later identified, will compile an apology. One probably well written because most of these rioters are going, have gone, and are soon going to school, or university. Or just get one written for them because of their parents affording lawyers and such. And yet - people say "Now that's a good apology", well really, it's not. They trashed, and destroyed a city for no reason, an apology is hardly enough. Grades mean nothing when you lack a vast knowledge of something that's more important - common sense. Which clearly, all of these people lack.

Hard to believe this happened 10 days ago, seemed like yesterday my favorite city was being ruined, as I watched on TV. In mere tears watching this unfold. Good to see people getting caught, and being identifed, and thank god they lack that common sense, or common knowledge - to not cover up their faces when rioting. And then the idiots that posted on Facebook bragging about. I wish I could send these people a 'Thank You' card, for turning themselves in, when they didn't even expect to be caught.

You could have the best apology...ever, but that'll hardly do anything in your favor from my point of view. Stupid enough to riot, stupid enough to loot, and stupid enough to turn themselves in, man I sure love people who lack common sense!

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#1354 Aixtek

Aixtek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:18 AM

I'm all for public shaming, but when it turns into hate speech that's when it becomes as bad as the actions of the ones being shamed. racist, homophobic, and misogynistic comments take it way too far and should not be tolerated.

Where is the line drawn? Public shaming on the internet has zero controls/regulations/laws... It'll probably be another 10 years before the laws catch up with the after math of this riot.

Not sure if this was posted in this thread, but in case there are some of you who aren't aware: Boston has rioted several times in the last 7 years. These riots have actually resulted in 3 deaths. They took extra precautions during game 7.
Maybe this is what Vancouver will have to do the next time we make it to the finals? It's a bit sad, really, but obviously a necessary step to prevent something like this from happening again.

What really annoys me is that riots relating to sports events happen ALL the time ALL OVER THE WORLD, yet Vancouver has been shamed to no end. I know that more is expected of the city of Vancouver after hosting the Olympics, but sheesh.

We're the only ones who are shammed over this now - no one else in the rest of the world even remembers. Since we rioted over losing the cup, Lebanon, Northern Ireland and India have rioted... Peru rioted twice...

Hopefully our scars heal soon.

#1355 Justin.

Justin.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:13 AM

^Vancouver riot videos have not stopped trending on Youtube yet. Just saying. I WISH people would just forget and move on already.

#1356 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

^Vancouver riot videos have not stopped trending on Youtube yet. Just saying. I WISH people would just forget and move on already.

I disagree.

We moved on, forgot the lessons of the 1994 riot and look what followed.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" ~ philosopher George Santayana from Life of Reason I
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#1357 Justin.

Justin.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

I disagree.

We moved on, forgot the lessons of the 1994 riot and look what followed.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" ~ philosopher George Santayana from Life of Reason I

That's true, but I meant everyone outside of Vancouver BC (and maybe Alberta, of course they'll never forget). Every time I log into YT there's a new riot video trending.

Edited by Justin., 25 June 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#1358 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

That's true, but I meant everyone outside of Vancouver (and maybe Alberta, of course they'll never forget). Every time I log into YT there's a new riot video trending.

I have no problem with that.

Vancouverites should be embarrassed by what went on and perhaps should be reminded continuously that we have suffered a national and international black eye.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#1359 Justin.

Justin.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:46 AM

I have no problem with that.

Vancouverites should be embarrassed by what went on and perhaps should be reminded continuously that we have suffered a national and international black eye.

That seems so unfair to the people who didn't partake in it :( I hardly think the morons who rioted that night feel embarrassed/ashamed about it unless it was their face in the video.

#1360 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

Where is the line drawn? Public shaming on the internet has zero controls/regulations/laws... It'll probably be another 10 years before the laws catch up with the after math of this riot.

We're the only ones who are shammed over this now - no one else in the rest of the world even remembers. Since we rioted over losing the cup, Lebanon, Northern Ireland and India have rioted... Peru rioted twice...

Hopefully not. This should be remembered and we need to ensure it does not happen again.

I have no problem with public shaming.

You are mistaken about laws not applying to on-line behaviour. If posters go over the top then there are criminal and civil laws and the common law that apply to cyberspace. If you make threats then you can be charged under the Criminal Code. If you defame as person, then you can be sued. There is a fundamental misunderstanding about the internet not being subject to law - the law does apply.

And that has been so for years. See the report commissioned by the Government of Canada THE CYBERSPACE IS NOT A “NO LAW LAND” - A STUDY OF THE ISSUES OF LIABILITY FOR CONTENT CIRCULATING ON THE INTERNET
http://southhill.vsb...ch/cyberlaw.pdf

One of the more active area of law recently is what is referred to as "cyber libel". Toronto lawyer David Potts is recognized as an international legal expert on cyber libel:
http://www.cyberlibel.com/

Also see Internet Defamation:
http://www.law.ualbe...tdefamation.php

#1361 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

^Well-said. Although my previous experiences with the VPD have always been positive, I never have had as much an appreciation/love for them as I did after the riot.

The kissing couple annoys me. Kind of wishing the story would just go away now, but YT doesn't seem to want to forget. Edit: HOLY CRAP a million views in a day?! :shock: :blink: HOW? Wishing this fame had happened to actual heroes in the riot instead of this pair who did nothing but be a nuisance.

I appreciated that even though the cop felt SO emotional, on the job the cop remained rational. That's doing your job well.

They annoy me too lol, the picture isn't even that good (no hate) and it certainly doesn't deserve this much attention.

*and i have no idea how that video blew up the way it did -_-

Edited by Super19, 25 June 2011 - 11:19 AM.

Posted Image

#1362 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

Riot couple gone SUPER Viral! 1+ million hits in only one day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mtURc7mkUg

Guess they should have left the area when police told them to, eh?

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#1363 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,705 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:33 PM

I can easily tell you that the hockey world does not forget. People were telling us about 94 even back in May when the Canucks were playing SJS.

Do you think Chicago fans and Boston fans will forget 6/15? Doubt it.

#1364 Creepy Crawler

Creepy Crawler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

Riot couple gone SUPER Viral! 1+ million hits in only one day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mtURc7mkUg

I'm actually impressed at how well they pushed the mob, I lived right downtown back in 94 and watched some of the rioting and the riot police weren't as good as this. They practically cut the riot time down to 3 hours when it was 7-8 hours back in 94 and the crowd was far more hostile than this.
Posted Image

#1365 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

That seems so unfair to the people who didn't partake in it :( I hardly think the morons who rioted that night feel embarrassed/ashamed about it unless it was their face in the video.

I knew you'd say something like this. You're so quick to throw away your unity as a city to feel better about yourself. That's all this is. The people who didn't riot wanting to feel better about themselves by comparing themselves to the rioters.

It's such a selfish thing. The fact is, the people who rioted weren't anarchists out west. They were Vancouverites just like us. And it hurt me to see them on the streets because I'm a Vancouverite too. It's not to say we can't blame them for what they did, but should we NOT feel embarrassed as a whole? It's guilt by association, but we're talking about YOUTUBE here.

One thing I'm not happy about is that nobody's talking about the tens of thousands who went downtown the next morning and helped clean up the city. I DO believe they deserve the extra exposure, JUST like the rioters. I'm not that selective of the image I want on Youtube. But I do want an accurate one.

These rioters could have the best apology, like an outstanding apology, like some of you claim the one guy who is gay' claim he had a good apology. Sure, he didn't blame anyone but himself, but he trashed your city. Your city. And you let up because he apologized - not before he was caught, after. And yet people let up on him, which is exactly what he's aiming for.

Many more, when later identified, will compile an apology. One probably well written because most of these rioters are going, have gone, and are soon going to school, or university. Or just get one written for them because of their parents affording lawyers and such. And yet - people say "Now that's a good apology", well really, it's not. They trashed, and destroyed a city for no reason, an apology is hardly enough. Grades mean nothing when you lack a vast knowledge of something that's more important - common sense. Which clearly, all of these people lack.

Hard to believe this happened 10 days ago, seemed like yesterday my favorite city was being ruined, as I watched on TV. In mere tears watching this unfold. Good to see people getting caught, and being identifed, and thank god they lack that common sense, or common knowledge - to not cover up their faces when rioting. And then the idiots that posted on Facebook bragging about. I wish I could send these people a 'Thank You' card, for turning themselves in, when they didn't even expect to be caught.

You could have the best apology...ever, but that'll hardly do anything in your favor from my point of view. Stupid enough to riot, stupid enough to loot, and stupid enough to turn themselves in, man I sure love people who lack common sense!

You're not coming off as a real tool. Either be part of the shaming group, or not be part of it. Don't make a post like this, because it doesn't send any message. They rioted, they screwed up. Obviously they're going to have to pay the price. But are you suggesting they don't do damage control? Are you suggesting they DON'T apologize (because apparently, it makes no difference to you)? Why are you criticizing them for the apologies and NOT the riots?

Please don't go on these self-righteous rants anymore. Don't use the riots as an opportunity to lift yourself above the others. It's a grand waste of time. If you have the time to write posts in order to feel morally superior to others, why don't you walk the walk and do some volunteering in the community or something?

Some of these rioters went to school. Some of them are spoiled, some of them are not. Some of them are educated, and some are not. But for those who ARE educated, for those who ARE spoiled, what can they do about it? I mean, if you have a PHd in English, are you not going to try and write a good apology? Or are you going to try and be really stupid about it? Now you're attacking individuals based on their socio-economic backgrounds?

Edited by Ki Sung Yong, 25 June 2011 - 01:36 PM.

Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#1366 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I knew you'd say something like this. You're so quick to throw away your unity as a city to feel better about yourself. That's all this is. The people who didn't riot wanting to feel better about themselves by comparing themselves to the rioters.

It's such a selfish thing. The fact is, the people who rioted weren't anarchists out west. They were Vancouverites just like us. And it hurt me to see them on the streets because I'm a Vancouverite too. It's not to say we can't blame them for what they did, but should we NOT feel embarrassed as a whole? It's guilt by association, but we're talking about YOUTUBE here.

One thing I'm not happy about is that nobody's talking about the tens of thousands who went downtown the next morning and helped clean up the city. I DO believe they deserve the extra exposure, JUST like the rioters. I'm not that selective of the image I want on Youtube. But I do want an accurate one.

Agreed one hunnit percent. It is so unfair the way the media handled this... it wasn't proper at all.

You're not coming off as a real tool. Either be part of the shaming group, or not be part of it. Don't make a post like this, because it doesn't send any message. They rioted, they screwed up. Obviously they're going to have to pay the price. But are you suggesting they don't do damage control? Are you suggesting they DON'T apologize (because apparently, it makes no difference to you)? Why are you criticizing them for the apologies and NOT the riots?

Please don't go on these self-righteous rants anymore. Don't use the riots as an opportunity to lift yourself above the others. It's a grand waste of time. If you have the time to write posts in order to feel morally superior to others, why don't you walk the walk and do some volunteering in the community or something?

Some of these rioters went to school. Some of them are spoiled, some of them are not. Some of them are educated, and some are not. But for those who ARE educated, for those who ARE spoiled, what can they do about it? I mean, if you have a PHd in English, are you not going to try and write a good apology? Or are you going to try and be really stupid about it? Now you're attacking individuals based on their socio-economic backgrounds?

IMO, if you want to be in the good you'd forgive them. By shaming them, you give them your own dose of justice. Both are fine. just shows two different sets of character.
Posted Image

#1367 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

IMO, if you want to be in the good you'd forgive them. By shaming them, you give them your own dose of justice. Both are fine. just shows two different sets of character.

He is doing neither. He's using this as an opportunity to say that he's better than the others.

I'm starting to think he's a spoiled brat. Maybe I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but I can tell.
Posted Image

#1368 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

First off; thanks for saying I'm not coming off as a tool, but you you rant on about my post. I wasn't trying to send a message, and apparently you think so. If so, whom am I sending a message too? You? Everyone in the thread? Well, no one, this wasn't a 'message sending' post. Did I say they should get off the hook? Did I say they should not do community service? An apology doesn't make a difference for me. The only real reason they're apologizing is because they were caught red-handed, and identified. They wouldn't be making an apology right now, if they weren't caught. I'm criticizing them for both the riots and apologies, not one or the other, but the apologies are weak because they're only doing it because they are 'sorry', and this isn't 'like them'.

How is saying apologies aren't enough from my personal opinion, putting myself above these rioters? The fact I wasn't in the riot, puts me above these morons anyways. I don't know how I'm feeling 'morally superior' because I made that post saying apologies aren't enough for me, and people are letting these rioters off the hook a bit more saying "Welp, at least he apologized, I give him props". You give him props for apologizing AFTER he was caught and then identified? Wow, ok then. If I lived in Vancouver, I'd definitely be down there helping clean up because I'd rather not have a city looking like that. Ever. It's embarrassing living in BC, and being labelled as a hooligan because of the few bad apples that did this. If I lived in Vancouver, I'd be there.

A well written apology doesn't make us forget what this person did to a great city because they got caught up in 'mob mentality'. You'd think most graduated students, or students going to school, would think rioting is a bad decision. They proved me wrong. Sure, they're going to write a well written apology, but do you think most people will care? It's worth a shot, and it obviously works on some people but people aren't happy until the rioter actually does something besides right a letter consisting of 'I'm not that type of person', 'I'm not like that'.

Soory if I 'put myself above these rioters' when saying an apology is not enough for me. :rolleyes:

#1369 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

He is doing neither. He's using this as an opportunity to say that he's better than the others.

I'm starting to think he's a spoiled brat. Maybe I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but I can tell.

So I'm a spoiled brat because I'm not shaming them, or letting up on them because of a written apology that was made after they were caught?

My parents aren't doctors, nurses and all that jazz, and I'm definitely not rich either. But apparently, wanting more then a written apology makes me a spoiled brat. Makes sense...

Edited by Bryan McCabe.24, 25 June 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#1370 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

First off; thanks for saying I'm not coming off as a tool, but you you rant on about my post. I wasn't trying to send a message, and apparently you think so. If so, whom am I sending a message too? You? Everyone in the thread? Well, no one, this wasn't a 'message sending' post. Did I say they should get off the hook? Did I say they should not do community service? An apology doesn't make a difference for me. The only real reason they're apologizing is because they were caught red-handed, and identified. They wouldn't be making an apology right now, if they weren't caught. I'm criticizing them for both the riots and apologies, not one or the other, but the apologies are weak because they're only doing it because they are 'sorry', and this isn't 'like them'.

Apologies DO make a difference for me, IMO. Imagine how ape everyone would go if no one apologized? And also, it does better for salvage. If i kicked your door, and paid you back for it, but i never said im sorry, you'd think im a jerk. Doesn't matter if i paid you back... that was just me paying for what i did... if i say sorry and pay you back, and you forgive me, we have a healthier environment. nawmsayin? And you're not in the position to judge them, they could actually be sorry. Now they just need to have the book thrown at them for the crimes they did and i expect us moving forward. But that hasn't been done yet. And is that their fault that they haven't been punished yet? no. for all i know, some of these rioters could be doing a better job in restoring vancouvers rep than you and i, while we are shaming them, they could be doing something productive in restoring vancouvers name. That doesn't mean that they run away from their punishment, it just means that they are sorry. and we aren't forgiving them?
Just sayin how and apology does make a difference imo.

How is saying apologies aren't enough from my personal opinion, putting myself above these rioters? The fact I wasn't in the riot, puts me above these morons anyways. I don't know how I'm feeling 'morally superior' because I made that post saying apologies aren't enough for me, and people are letting these rioters off the hook a bit more saying "Welp, at least he apologized, I give him props". You give him props for apologizing AFTER he was caught and then identified? Wow, ok then. If I lived in Vancouver, I'd definitely be down there helping clean up because I'd rather not have a city looking like that. Ever. It's embarrassing living in BC, and being labelled as a hooligan because of the few bad apples that did this. If I lived in Vancouver, I'd be there.

If you were trying to mean that, then i don't see anything wrong in that. But what i think you're saying is that you don't need/want the apologies. You're too good for them because they mean nothing to you.

A well written apology doesn't make us forget what this person did to a great city because they got caught up in 'mob mentality'. You'd think most graduated students, or students going to school, would think rioting is a bad decision. They proved me wrong. Sure, they're going to write a well written apology, but do you think most people will care? It's worth a shot, and it obviously works on some people but people aren't happy until the rioter actually does something besides right a letter consisting of 'I'm not that type of person', 'I'm not like that'.

Soory if I 'put myself above these rioters' when saying an apology is not enough for me. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#1371 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Because they HAD to apologize. The alternative of not doing anything would have been worse. You're being incredibly unfair to them right now. You're not blaming them for rioting, you're blaming them for getting caught and trying to put out the fire? They have lives too, and their lives aren't over just because they were out that night. They NEED damage control and they need to get their s*** together. In any instance, it starts with a forced apology.

Tiger Woods. The backlash would have been bigger had he NOT apologized for his conduct. Obviously, he wouldn't have said anything had he not been caught, but it's all about trying to repair his public image. It's not about the apology. That's just one of the things you do.

A well-written apology is just that. A well-written apology. It may or may not be more real than those who did not write term papers for their apologies. Which is the point: it doesn't matter. They're just writing like that because they CAN. Because they have the ability to write or they have others who can do it for them. That's it! They have that asset, so why not use it? And more importantly, why are you roasting them for their background? A well-written apology is no different from a Chinese int'l student who writes his letter in Chinese. In the end, it's just a letter. It doesn't matter whether it's real or it's not (although if it's not, you're in danger of getting villainized, like the UBC girl), it's just them trying to fix their image. You CANNOT blame them for that. You can blame them for going out downtown that night. You can blame them for bragging about it on facebook. But what's the point of attacking them for writing a simple, stupid apology? If it's really that little of a factor as you claim, nobody's going to care. But it obviously matters a lot to you.

I don't give them props for anything. Them apologizing after getting caught is what anybody else would do. You can't hate on them for not wanting to go to jail either. That's what makes you self-righteous. If I went to the riots and stole some pants, but there was zero evidence, I'm not sure I'd come out and admit it. I can't tell because I've never been in that position. You can't either, so why are you making a post suggesting that these people are somehow WORSE individuals for apologizing after getting busted. That's generally what happens. In the real world, almost NOBODY apologizes straight out. So I'm not going to judge, and neither should you.

So I'm a spoiled brat because I'm not shaming them, or letting up on them because of a written apology that was made after they were caught?

My parents aren't doctors, nurses and all that jazz, and I'm definitely not rich either. But apparently, wanting more then a written apology makes me a spoiled brat. Makes sense...

hehehehehe
Posted Image

#1372 VanJets

VanJets

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

Giving them credit for apologizing is ridiculous. They're trying to save face and deserve absolutely no sympathy.

Simply put, they apologized because they got caught. They are not sincerely sorry for their actions, or else they'd be downtown Thursday morning cleaning up.
Posted Image

#1373 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

I also blame the social media sites for their mob mentality... it isnt helping us.

Organizing the clean up the day after was fantastic, and so is idetifying the rioters and making them feel ashamed to a point. other than that, i think everyone should just su with their self righteous bullcrap. i dont really understand how its making things any better?!
Posted Image

#1374 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

Because they HAD to apologize. The alternative of not doing anything would have been worse. You're being incredibly unfair to them right now. You're not blaming them for rioting, you're blaming them for getting caught and trying to put out the fire? They have lives too, and their lives aren't over just because they were out that night. They NEED damage control and they need to get their s*** together. In any instance, it starts with a forced apology.

Tiger Woods. The backlash would have been bigger had he NOT apologized for his conduct. Obviously, he wouldn't have said anything had he not been caught, but it's all about trying to repair his public image. It's not about the apology. That's just one of the things you do.

A well-written apology is just that. A well-written apology. It may or may not be more real than those who did not write term papers for their apologies. Which is the point: it doesn't matter. They're just writing like that because they CAN. Because they have the ability to write or they have others who can do it for them. That's it! They have that asset, so why not use it? And more importantly, why are you roasting them for their background? A well-written apology is no different from a Chinese int'l student who writes his letter in Chinese. In the end, it's just a letter. It doesn't matter whether it's real or it's not (although if it's not, you're in danger of getting villainized, like the UBC girl), it's just them trying to fix their image. You CANNOT blame them for that. You can blame them for going out downtown that night. You can blame them for bragging about it on facebook. But what's the point of attacking them for writing a simple, stupid apology? If it's really that little of a factor as you claim, nobody's going to care. But it obviously matters a lot to you.

I don't give them props for anything. Them apologizing after getting caught is what anybody else would do. You can't hate on them for not wanting to go to jail either. That's what makes you self-righteous. If I went to the riots and stole some pants, but there was zero evidence, I'm not sure I'd come out and admit it. I can't tell because I've never been in that position. You can't either, so why are you making a post suggesting that these people are somehow WORSE individuals for apologizing after getting busted. That's generally what happens. In the real world, almost NOBODY apologizes straight out. So I'm not going to judge, and neither should you.

I'm not blaming them for apologizing, they were obviously going to do it when caught. I've said, how many times now, that an apology is expected but it's not enough. That was my point. Then you blew this up, saying I'm belittling them, I'm a spoiled brat for saying an apology means little to me. Of course they're going to address a public apology, they're not going to just get caught, and not say sorry. One thing that makes me mad, is some excuses mad up, and saying they're deeply sorry. Are they only sorry for their future now? And the fact they got caught, and are now apologizing. Yeah, you're sorry my ***.

Whatever. You blew up my post bigger then you shouldn't have made it, when I said an apology means little to me because it's pretty much guaranteed they apologize after they get caught and identified.

hehehehehe

Stay classy.

#1375 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Giving them credit for apologizing is ridiculous. They're trying to save face and deserve absolutely no sympathy.

Simply put, they apologized because they got caught. They are not sincerely sorry for their actions, or else they'd be downtown Thursday morning cleaning up.

This was basically my point, but then one poster blows it up into a bigger matter, not even needed. Think the people that went downtown prepared for a riot that get/got caught are going to be sorry deep down? Hardly.

They got caught, and are all of a sudden deeply sorry. Yeah, why not let rioters off the hook, seems fair for vandalizing, and ruining a city all from a apology....

Edited by Bryan McCabe.24, 25 June 2011 - 03:21 PM.

#1376 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm not blaming them for apologizing, they were obviously going to do it when caught. I've said, how many times now, that an apology is expected but it's not enough. That was my point. Then you blew this up, saying I'm belittling them, I'm a spoiled brat for saying an apology means little to me. Of course they're going to address a public apology, they're not going to just get caught, and not say sorry. One thing that makes me mad, is some excuses mad up, and saying they're deeply sorry. Are they only sorry for their future now? And the fact they got caught, and are now apologizing. Yeah, you're sorry my ***.

Whatever. You blew up my post bigger then you shouldn't have made it, when I said an apology means little to me because it's pretty much guaranteed they apologize after they get caught and identified.

Stay classy.

Yes!!! That's exactly what they're doing!! People are selfish, and that's what happens! It's practically human nature! People will say sorry to avoid further conflict or further damage to their self-image. It is neither good or bad. It says something about how humans behave, but that definitely was NOT what we were talking about.

They could be deeply sorry. They're probably not. But they're not just going to sit there and watch the flames fan out. They're just trying to put out the fire. That does not deserve credit nor does it deserve condemnation.

I give them credit for being predictable and doing what anyone else would have done in that situation. In other words, I give them credit for... not really doing anything special. They apologized because they got caught. Nobody's actually giving credit to them for that. It's just how the system works.

This was basically my point, but then one poster blows it up into a bigger matter, not even needed. Think the people that went downtown prepared for a riot that get/got caught are going to be sorry deep down? Hardly.

They got caught, and are all of a sudden deeply sorry. Yeah, why not let rioters off the hook, seems fair for vandalizing, and ruining a city all from a apology....

So you clearly are NOT "whatever" on this. You're still dwelling on it. Get over it. Try to look back to public figures like Tiger or Michael Vick and see how well the apology worked. Not really. So to suggest that the rioters will be so quickly forgiven is a very ignorant statement. Their online apology pages have been breeding grounds for hate comments. They are NOT forgiven.

Edited by Ki Sung Yong, 25 June 2011 - 03:33 PM.

Posted Image

#1377 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

Try to look back to public figures like Tiger or Michael Vick and see how well the apology worked.

Do people care enough about Tiger's private marital matters to need an apology in the first place?

#1378 VanJets

VanJets

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

Yes!!! That's exactly what they're doing!! People are selfish, and that's what happens! It's practically human nature! People will say sorry to avoid further conflict or further damage to their self-image. It is neither good or bad. It says something about how humans behave, but that definitely was NOT what we were talking about.

They could be deeply sorry. They're probably not. But they're not just going to sit there and watch the flames fan out. They're just trying to put out the fire. That does not deserve credit nor does it deserve condemnation.

I give them credit for being predictable and doing what anyone else would have done in that situation. In other words, I give them credit for... not really doing anything special. They apologized because they got caught. Nobody's actually giving credit to them for that. It's just how the system works.

So you clearly are NOT "whatever" on this. You're still dwelling on it. Get over it. Try to look back to public figures like Tiger or Michael Vick and see how well the apology worked. Not really. So to suggest that the rioters will be so quickly forgiven is a very ignorant statement. Their online apology pages have been breeding grounds for hate comments. They are NOT forgiven.
[/size][/font]

"How the system works"

No it isn't. Like I said they're sorry they got caught. I don't sympathy when a human being willfully commits a crime. Whether it's murder or rape or destruction of public property and theft. A crime is a crime, some more sever than others...yes. But in the end they're criminals.
Posted Image

#1379 Justin.

Justin.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

It hurt and angered me to see my city getting trashed; I don't care if they were Vancouverites or not. I don't want to be associated with them and it has nothing to do with my own self-esteem :rolleyes: I would disown my own friends if they did such a thing.

It's also a pipe dream to think the non-violent stuff would garner as much interest. That's what annoys me about that kissing couple and the fact that they got famous; I watched their interview and they were whining about "excessive force" by VPD or whatnot, and it pisses me off that it'll likely give people a negative perception of our police when they were heroes that night.

#1380 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

It hurt and angered me to see my city getting trashed; I don't care if they were Vancouverites or not. I don't want to be associated with them and it has nothing to do with my own self-esteem :rolleyes: I would disown my own friends if they did such a thing.

It's also a pipe dream to think the non-violent stuff would garner as much interest. That's what annoys me about that kissing couple and the fact that they got famous; I watched their interview and they were whining about "excessive force" by VPD or whatnot, and it pisses me off that it'll likely give people a negative perception of our police when they were heroes that night.

Change your perspective on things and you'll realize that they just said what they said, and nothing more. They were asked how it went down, and they're just describing it. It's not like they went out and complained about it. I think you've been influenced by the fact that you don't like their 15 minutes of fame. Oh well.

I thought after the 2011 cup playoffs, you would have learned your lesson on what the media can do, and how to approach it.

"How the system works"

No it isn't. Like I said they're sorry they got caught. I don't sympathy when a human being willfully commits a crime. Whether it's murder or rape or destruction of public property and theft. A crime is a crime, some more sever than others...yes. But in the end they're criminals.

What you said is true. But I don't see why you disagree with me. They are criminals, so they're saying sorry. Is it because they got caught? Probably, but it shouldn't matter. More importantly, we should be indifferent to it, not get angrier at them for doing it. That's stupid.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.