The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

Morality is the eye of the beholder. Hitler and his Nazi regime thought they were morally right in their atrocities.

I'm not arguing for moralities sake, I'm arguing to make sure the Anarchists don't win in the end.

I know you neg'd me, but I'm not going to waste my -1's on you.

my only concern about the e-mob lynching going on is the complete lack of due process.

Esp. the ones that is simply based on a single photograph or a facebook posting...ppl post stupid things on fb all the time and it doesn't mean they actually did anything.

Although if there is obvious video evidence, then by all means...

my only concern about the e-mob lynching going on is the complete lack of due process.

Esp. the ones that is simply based on a single photograph or a facebook posting...ppl post stupid things on fb all the time and it doesn't mean they actually did anything.

Although if there is obvious video evidence, then by all means...

These people will be afforded the luxury of due process...but, in the meantime, the people who've been tagged with this riot simply through the association of living here have every right to vent their anger verbally. Remember, we're only using words and not kicking in their windows.

Those posing/smiling in front of acts of arson and violence, while not committing any actual crimes, still own a little embarrassment for looking like absolute tools and deflecting that back to the entire city. Two options at that point: get the hell out of there or do your part to help. The "audience" didn't help the situation, as it's difficult for police to determine who's involved and who's not when a crowd gathers to watch. So, in their innocence,they certainly didn't help matters any.

1. Freedom of information and speech has a line - we are all welcome to our opinions, but these "online vigilantes" HAVE had a PHYSICAL effect on those they feel are responsible for what happened.

2. Sure, they didn't kick the perpetrators in the teeth, sure they didn't burn cars or smash the windows of their home - but they have gotten people fired, expelled and who knows what else.

3. But I don't want to see a witch hunt happen, and I don't want to see young, drunk, stupid teens have their life wrecked for one mistake. I do NOT want to see the Anarchists win. Justice needs to prevail, but not a mob justice.

-1 me all you want. Someone needs to say this.

1. You need to clarify this...unless you know of vigilante acts where violence has been used, I fail to see this. Physical effects? How, exactly?

2. Again, your statement "THEY have gotten people fired, expelled...." is false. You can't place the responsibility of this in the wrong hands. "We" don't have the power or authority to dismiss these people and the people making these decisions will (or at least should) do so by considering many things, including prior history and behavior.

So "we" have done nothing of the sort (had people fired/expelled) - it's between the employers/administrators & the employees/students. And, if a boss/administrator feels it's warranted, then that's something beyond what the general public has control over.

3. I agree, for the most part. People with their own agendas/issues will transfer that over to a witch hunt mentality. But, if one act can wreck a "young, drunk stupid teen's" life, then they likely should have been responsible enough to recognize that beforehand and protected against it. The people who were simply caught up in it will likely have a slap on the wrist and move on. For others who were more involved, well, one simple act CAN change your life forever and that's the risk you take when you act irresponsibly.

Well.... what an unfortunate end to a great playoff run by the Canucks.

I am trying to interpret these events, and I have to explain all of this, but these events

of the last few days have been very depressing and enervating.

First of all, I was really upset by the inappropriate negativity towards Vancouver and the Canucks

in the media during the Boston series. It seemed like an inexplicable smear campaign. As an expat

living in an international community who has traveled to many countries, and lived in several places,

I think I have maintained a pretty informed and reasonably objective perspective on the people of greater

Vancouver who are Canuck fans. I think a lot of this was irresponsible "journalism", and I worried that

all of that negative stuff might contribute to a disturbance.

Like everyone else, I was shocked and depressed by the morons I watched on the internet, and there is more

and more and more.

I am very interested in the part social media played in these events.

I am generally wary of facebook, although my friends insist it has very positive uses.

First, these people who famously participated in the riot seemed to care more about there cyber life than their real

lives?! This has shocked everyone. As a result, many appear to have incriminated themselves.

As the riots were going on, people used social media to organize the clean up of Vancouver.

Very impressive. Well done!

They also used social media to post pictures of the offenders, and name the people involved. Very helpful

to the police, although this information could have been sent directly to the police.

1. People are impatient these days, and we want information "now". I also was very interested in the information

provided about people who were recognized committing acts of violence, destruction, and/or mischief.

2. People wanted to use social media to "shame" people. This is the part I'm having trouble interpreting.

Is this mob mentality part 2? There is a huge difference between doing civic duty and reporting information

and casting judgement on people publically.

This use of social media is intriguing- it has served a useful purpose, and also often seems shockingly

mean spirited.

Quite frankly, I do not think it is moral for the public to persecute individuals, to encourage harassment

of their families by providing telephone numbers and addresses, or to otherwise try to ruin their lives.

Giving information is one thing.

The courts will decide who has committed crimes and appropriate punishment for them.

I am as disgusted by many comments I have read on the internet about the people identified in pictures

as I am by the rioters, and people making these comments have had time to "think" about what they are

doing.

The new paradigm?

I think it's great that the kid who had the full ride scholarship for water polo has been kicked off the team.

If I ran a company I would fire them as well. It's the owners right to run the company how they want (which is sometimes the problem with unions).

Morality is the eye of the beholder. Hitler and his Nazi regime thought they were morally right in their atrocities.

I'm not arguing for moralities sake, I'm arguing to make sure the Anarchists don't win in the end.

I know you neg'd me, but I'm not going to waste my -1's on you.

This use of social media is intriguing- it has served a useful purpose, and also often seems shockingly

mean spirited.

Quite frankly, I do not think it is moral for the public to persecute individuals, to encourage harassment

of their families by providing telephone numbers and addresses, or to otherwise try to ruin their lives.

Giving information is one thing.

The courts will decide who has committed crimes and appropriate punishment for them.

Yes I do agree with on apologize to the stores owners but I also think apologizing to team and managment is need by the rioters maybe by letter to the team it did make our team look bad with wearing the team jersney.

^^so these people get to destroy our city and now they get to meet our players in person?! DREAM ON! laugh.gif

these guys are dbags and criminals. They don't deserve to be around our players. :) They need to go do some community work, grow up and treat others with respect.

edit: also, the people they need to apologize to are the owners of the stores they looted/vandalized, car owners of the cars they lit on fire/destroyed and the rest of the city. These idiots should be paying for the peoples property that they destroyed. That's how you say sorry, not by apologizing to a hockey team.

Archived