The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

The Vancouver Sun has now linked to Camille Cacnio's original attempt at an apology (rife with justifications and excuses for inexcusable conduct) as well as the edited version.

One of the comments said it quite well:

Looking at the original and then the edited version of her posted "apology" it's obvious that someone told Camille that her original apology was actually not an apology at all. It got slammed on line for obvious reasons and she edited most of the excuses and contempt she was showing for those she was actually apologizing to. Her original one was genuinely her and the edited version was what she was told to do quickly...are you now going to say you were drunk when you wrote the original Camille?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/student+apologizes+online+looting+Vancouver+store/4977321/story.html#Comments#ixzz1PsiBG8rE

RIOT INVESTIGATION – FACT SHEET

June 20, 2011

Vancouver Police have received approximately 3500 emails, including tips, from the public at robbery@vpd.ca.

Some of these emails include:

53 with videos attached

676 with links to YouTube

708 with images attached

1011 with hyperlinks to other social media sites other than YouTube (mostly Facebook)

344 emails contain only text

280 Crime Stoppers tips received

900 additional emails have been received by the VPD Public Affairs Section. These will be reviewed for content and those with tips or information will be forwarded to robbery@vpd.ca

To date, 12 people have turned themselves in to Vancouver Police and three others to police in outside jurisdictions.

Charges

A total of 117 people have been arrested for a variety of offences, including breach of the peace, public intoxication, breach of probation, assault, mischief, theft, possession of stolen property and obstructing a peace officer.

Many charges are pending, however, formal charges have been recommended in the following cases:

Twenty year-old Edgar Ricardo Garcia of Burnaby is charged with aggravated assault stemming from an incident where two men were stabbed in the 700 block of Hornby Street on June 15.

Twenty-seven year-old Joshua Lyle Evans of Calgary is charged with possessing a weapon dangerous to the public peace. This stems from the same incident in the 700 block of Hornby Street.

A 21 year old man from Ladner with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of mischief and participation in a riot. He is alleged to have broken a rear tail light and rear window of a green pick-up truck parked in the 300 block of West Georgia Street.

A 19 year old man from Surrey, with no previous criminal convictions, is facing charges of break and enter, theft and participation in a riot, stemming from an incident in the 700 block of West Georgia Street. It is alleged that he entered the Hudson’s Bay Company and stole a Coach purse.

A 17 year old youth from Maple Ridge with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of participation in a riot and of arson for allegedly lighting a police car on fire in the 100 block of West Georgia.

An 18 year old man from Delta with no previous criminal convictions is facing a charge of mischief and participating in a riot for allegedly kicking a hole through the window of the Budget Rental Car office located in the 400 block of West Georgia.

A 20 year old man from Maple Ridge with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of mischief and participating in a riot after allegedly breaking a window of the Bank of Montreal located at Homer and West Georgia.

A 22 year old man from Burnaby, with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of assaulting a peace officer, break and enter, mischief and participation in a riot stemming from an incident at Library Square where he allegedly threw a water bottle at the police, broke a window and then entered a building.

http://vpdreleases.icontext.com/2011/06/20/riot-investigation-fact-sheet/

<P><BR>edited - maybe too strong choice of words.<BR> <BR>I agree that those responsible should be harshly punished. However, I get annoyed by all the self-righteousness exhibited on these boards.<BR><BR>I think that there should be more weight placed on how to avoid future riots - and I'm sure there will be much discussion on this. </P>

I care because we have failed as a society. We have failed to implement programs and systems that can help people like Camille, who I knew from high school, do the right thing in a setting like 6/15. Our teachers, parents, and coaches failed to discipline the youth correctly, so they would know (when tested with a trial like 6/15) what the right thing to do is, and how to do it.

If they do it again, it's because all of us failed yet again to set up a system where we can prevent something like this from happening. If they do it again, it's going to cost businesses and the public more dollars to recover.

So why not change the culture then? I don't believe that saying the riot is a result of "mob mentality" and then leaving it at that is a good enough answer. If we want to prevent this from being a regular occurrence whenever the Canucks make the finals (and i hope that's very frequent), when we gotta find a psychological solution that explains mob mentality as well as "solves/cures" it.

I agree though - a very good way to stop this is to hammer down on the inciters, and do it right at the start.

There's a carryover effect from what literally 10000s of internet strangers say, to media and pop media, which affects the inner circles that the accused affiliates with (parents, employers, friends). This inner circle is very powerful, and like what we saw in the case of Nathan Kotylak, parents can push a child to publicly admitting guilt.

So yes..I believe that some stranger on the internet has the ability to make or break them.

Read what Camille Cacnio wrote. Like someone else said, it just makes her fight back and say some really stupid things. In terms of speaking with the public, she has the same skills as Roberto Luongo.

So what about the posters? What difference did they make? If we had a thread like that here, where Camille is the OP and then there's all this trash talking going on afterwards, those posters become trolls. Which is what the posters are. They're just trolls who have no life, just like the rioters. Wasting time on the internet to send hateful messages, trying to get a reaction out of them and then they feel better about themselves. Unhealthy.

It's crazy, Most of these people doing these crimes are roughly in their late teens and mid 20's, The justice system needs to throw the book at these idiots and make a example out of these fools.

Also need to look into our educational system, How does a UBC student and a potential Olympian end up in this predicament? , I was no angel when I was younger but man, lighting a car on fire?..what if it blew up and killed people?, Apologies are such a easy way out. I hope these idiots get it in the worse way, Because everyone not from Vancouver is painting us with the same brush.

The Vancouver Sun has now linked to Camille Cacnio's original attempt at an apology (rife with justifications and excuses for inexcusable conduct) as well as the edited version.

One of the comments said it quite well:

Looking at the original and then the edited version of her posted "apology" it's obvious that someone told Camille that her original apology was actually not an apology at all. It got slammed on line for obvious reasons and she edited most of the excuses and contempt she was showing for those she was actually apologizing to. Her original one was genuinely her and the edited version was what she was told to do quickly...are you now going to say you were drunk when you wrote the original Camille?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/student+apologizes+online+looting+Vancouver+store/4977321/story.html#Comments#ixzz1PsiBG8rE

It's crazy, Most of these people doing these crimes are roughly in their late teens and mid 20's, The justice system needs to throw the book at these idiots and make a example out of these fools.

Also need to look into our educational system, How does a UBC student and a potential Olympian end up in this predicament? , I was no angel when I was younger but man, lighting a car on fire?..what if it blew up and killed people?, Apologies are such a easy way out. I hope these idiots get it in the worse way, Because everyone not from Vancouver is painting us with the same brush.

Anybody calling for stiff jail sentences or any such punishment is living in denial this is BC and Vancouver court system people will plead guilty and only have to pay fines for what they have done and maybe some will get community service only if they cant afford good lawyers.

I say that's her character being revealed moreso than the situation that she has put herself in.

I think your perspective of trolling is much different than the ones established by CDC. In this case, if posters are still talking about Camille and doing so in a civil manner with no intent to provoke other posters, that's not trolling, but merely posting.

Thus far, all I've seen are posts, not troll-posts.

Guest Voucer

I hear some people made some crude comments about the riot on their Facebook accounts and were fired from their jobs subsequently.

I mean, if you're going to say something stupid, do it on a message board.

:frantic:

Archived