The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

I just went by Granville and Georgia before coming to work and checked out the Bay and London Drugs. The Bay's windows have been boarded up, but there is LOTS of broken glass behind them. Repairs and clean up are already taking place in London Drugs.

I didn't see any people the general public (ie. the Facebook group) other than the workers helping out the clean up.

I was not at the downtown fan zone on game 7 but i did notice suspicious elements in the crowd in game 5. a couple of guys stood in front of us carrying a bag full of baseball bats and a luggage holding probably something not good. one of them was wearing an anarchy shirt. of course i can't say they were planning a riot if things go wrong but you can't help but wonder what the hell are they doing with a bag of baseball bats watching a hockey game. i certainly cant believe they got through into the fan zone with those items. its a shame what happened yesterday and i am so ashamed of these so-called fans. i hope each and everyone of them get the punishment they deserve.

seriously, did people not see this coming?

there was going to be a riot. win or loose.

the truck in front of canada post was intensionally put there for this reason.

but like someone mentioned, this whole thing was started by non canuck fan.

possibly the same idiots from olympic protest.

i mean why would anyone bring that black face covering thing to see a game.

Taken from http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/realscoop/archive/2011/06/16/vancouver-police-want-your-riot-video-and-photos.aspx

CITIZEN PHOTOS/TIPS

The response from the public wanting to help the police identify the individuals involved in last night’s criminal activity has been overwhelming. We are grateful for everyone’s help and have included instructions below for anyone wanting to anonymously share videos with our investigators. We appreciate your assistance in getting this information out to the public.

For photos, please send them to robbery@vpd.ca

To anonymously upload videos to the VPD, please upload them to youtube as private videos and share them with robbery@vpd.ca

Here are the instructions on how to do this:

1. Sign in to your YouTube account and upload the video.

2. Once the video has finished uploading, click the Account link located (at the top-right of any page ).

3. Next, click the Uploaded Videos link. Click and choose the video you want to send to us. Then, click the Edit button.

4. Under the Broadcasting and Sharing Options section (on the left-hand side of the page towards the bottom) you'll see Privacy options. Click the little black arrow / triangle to expand and see all your privacy options (if it’s not already open and you cannot see your privacy options).

5. If the video is set to Private, you'll see a section to enter an email. Enter robbery@vpd.ca in this section.

6. Click on Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

For more information visit:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=157177

Constable 1920 Lindsey Houghton

Media Relations Officer

For a moment last night, I thought we might loose with dignity. Giving Thomas and Lucic standing ovations. Only 15 minutes later, I see the these riots. It's a down right shame that a hand full of these fools, went out to the game last night only to cause chaos. The group of idiots who looted, burned and destroyed for the sake of a loss, have put a black mark not only on the city but on the Canucks Franchise. I wish that I could take part in the cleanup today to show what true Canuck fans are like.

no excuses for canucks fan and vancouverites. this was a riot by the fans, the people, not 'organized' hooligans. all the idiots taunting cops and throwing debris were in canuck gear, some of it vintage crap from the 90s.

a black eye on all of canada.

This is overdone nonsense.

The riot was stoked by an organized group. Of course a few drunks will join in, but I don't see this happening without the planning and guidance of a group of rioters. It's happened before here and in other cities, and it will happen again. And it's not exactly hard to find Canucks gear in this city.

The 'embarrassment' and 'shame' surrounding these riots is pathetic. A few cars were torched, some random looting. and a few people were unfortunately hurt. It was a small scale riot (in a first world country, after a hockey game), and at the end of the day most of us are going to work and moving on like it never happened. I can't believe anyone is taking it seriously. Vancouver is a great place, and we shouldn't be hanging our heads over petty crap like this.

The VPD went into this saying 'No repeat of '94'.

Immediately once the thing began they we're overwhelmed, took them hours to get 700 RCMP into DT. Those RCMP should have been there to begin with but VPD's too cocky to ask for help even though it makes complete sense. What did they expect with people getting hammed and stoned from noon.

I was there for the 94 riots. I was a young thug and after the game a bunch of us hopped on the bus from east Van straight to downtown. We smashed windows and looted stores on Granville, Robson. We were big Canuck fans and young and dumb. We were 18 years old and looking to vent our frustrations. We were tear gassed and pushed down block to block. We have great stories of that riot for years to come. Oh how dumb we were!!!!!!!!

Seeing this footage really brought me back there. I seen myself in those young punks. Its a shame but this is the real Vancouver. I grew up in Vancouver and this is the same element I have seen all my life here. I come from a crappy family and poor Vancouver school systems which will continue to produce this element for years to come. Thank god I smartened up in my earlier twenties as many of my same friends from the 94 riots are dead , incarcerated or have evolved into drug dealers still to this day.

The Vancouver police did a very poor job. There was clearly not enough of them and took very poor preventative measures on contrary to what the police will tell you. There were 8000 police during the Olympics and less than 10 percent of that there before this riot broke out. It was destined to fail, the writing was on the wall. The Olympic crowd in which i was in was very international and the police and military presence was ever so apparent unlike this riot. The police will never admit fault for this but it is clear they were out manned by the rioters by far.

Where do we go from here? Next time their might be an inkling of a riot the police have to nip it in the bud. Much more police presence is needed and even military presence is needed. Look how they deal with hooligans in Europe. They over staff the authorities and employ crowd traffic control before the event even starts, they line up and protect shops and keep crowds moving. This is another epic failure of Vancouver city police.

This is overdone nonsense.

The riot was stoked by an organized group. Of course a few drunks will join in, but I don't see this happening without the planning and guidance of a group of rioters. It's happened before here and in other cities, and it will happen again. And it's not exactly hard to find Canucks gear in this city.

The 'embarrassment' and 'shame' surrounding these riots is pathetic. A few cars were torched, some random looting. and a few people were unfortunately hurt. It was a small scale riot (in a first world country, after a hockey game), and at the end of the day most of us are going to work and moving on like it never happened. I can't believe anyone is taking it seriously. Vancouver is a great place, and we shouldn't be hanging our heads over petty crap like this.

"Unruly, booze-fuelled mobs also broke into Sears at Robson and Howe. One looter managed to break into Chapters bookstore, but apparently no one bothered entering."

like the rioters read anyway

Archived