b3.

Nicklas Jensen | RW/LW

Very pleased to announce the signing of our first round selection, Nicklas Jensen from the 2011 draft.

This is a great start to his professional career.

EDIT: the first tweet was spelled incorrectly (Niklas vs Nicklas), so it was tweeted again by GMMG.

Edited by elvis15

when was the last time our first round pick wasn't signed in the year he was drafted (outside of those players that were attending the NCAA)?

Uh, the Canucks haven't even signed him to a contract yet. Jensen isn't even pencilled in as a possible roster player for at least 2 years.

What about now?

• Upvote 1

he's not going beyond 9 games this season. we're not going to burn a year off his ELC with all the NHL level talent we already have

Who would he displace? Sturm, Samuelsson, Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, or Daniel? Cuz he sure isn't going to be held back to toil on the 4th line.

Even if one of the aforementioned got hurt, Pinzonutto and Mancari both looked as good as Jensen, had more experience, and wouldn't have their upside sabotaged by giving them 4th-line minutes and/or healthy scratches.

Guest Dasein

he's not going beyond 9 games this season. we're not going to burn a year off his ELC with all the NHL level talent we already have

I'm going to go even further and say that he's not going to even get 9 games...Not to worry.

Jensen will be cut after the back-to-back games this weekend. At the very latest, he'll get one more game after the this weekend, but I don't see it happening.

We're going to be reducing our roster to carry only one roster after this weekend, meaning that we're only going to have around 30 guys kicking around, and we'll start playing our regulars in the last 3 games to get them ready for the season.

No room for Jensen.

Edited by Dasein

I'm going to go even further and say that he's not going to even get 9 games...Not to worry.

Jensen will be cut after the back-to-back games this weekend. At the very latest, he'll get one more game after the this weekend, but I don't see it happening.

We're going to be reducing our roster to carry only one roster after this weekend, meaning that we're only going to have around 30 guys kicking around, and we'll start playing our regulars in the last 3 games to get them ready for the season.

No room for Jensen.

Sedin

Sedin

Burrows

Jensen

Hodgson

Samuelsson

Sturm

Malhotra

Hansen

Higgins

Oreskovich

Lapierre

Nolan

Begin

Pinner

Duco

Mancari

Schroeder

Edler

Ballard

Bieksa

Hamhuis

Salo

Alberts

Rome

Sulzer

Parent

Sauve

Luongo

Lack

With Kesler + Raymond + Bitz all injured, I think Jensen be close to final cuts.

Guest Dasein

Sedin

Sedin

Burrows

Jensen

Hodgson

Samuelsson

Sturm

Malhotra

Hansen

Higgins

Oreskovich

Lapierre

Nolan

Begin

Pinner

Duco

Mancari

Schroeder

Edler

Ballard

Bieksa

Hamhuis

Salo

Alberts

Rome

Sulzer

Parent

Sauve

Luongo

Lack

With Kesler + Raymond + Bitz all injured, I think Jensen be close to final cuts.

Ugh, why do you make me do this...Hold on. I'll come up with my 35 (without Kesler, Raymond, Bitz) and see if Jensen should be included.

• Upvote 1

Ugh, why do you make me do this...Hold on. I'll come up with my 35 (without Kesler, Raymond, Bitz) and see if Jensen should be included.

I just needed some attention?

It's only 30 though, and I think they'll want Nicklas to get as much pro experience as possible. It's pretty easy just to keep him around for pre-season.

Edit: 31 I forgot Schneider.

Edited by Thomas Gradin

I think these will be the lines to start the year:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Sturm-Hodgson-Samuelson

Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen

Mancari-Lapierre-Oreskovich

and then when everyone comes back healthy. (Hoping Raymond will be able to play again)

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Sturm-Kesler-Samuelson

Raymond-Malhotra-Hansen

Higgins-Lapierre-Oreskovich

Edited by Cult of Personality

I think these will be the lines to start the year:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Sturm-Hodgson-Samuelson

Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen

Mancari-Lapierre-Oreskovich

and then when everyone comes back healthy. (Hoping Raymond will be able to play again)

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Sturm-Kesler-Samuelson

Raymond-Malhotra-Hansen

Higgins-Lapierre-Oreskovich

I don't think Mancari will start in the NHL, but you never know.

I'm hoping Nolan or Begin can show they can keep up. Otherwise, Pinizzotto might be the one to stick.

Pinizzotto - Lapierre - Nolan might happen too, with Oreskovich playing 13th forward.

I don't think Jensen will make the Canucks this year.

IMO the chance of Jensen making the team is zero. He will take another year in the juniors and then a year or 2 in the AHL before he makes the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Jensen will make the Canucks this year.

IMO the chance of Jensen making the team is zero. He will take another year in the juniors and then a year or 2 in the AHL before he makes the Canucks.

Never know, might pull a Skinner.

By that I don't mean hit 60 points as an 18 year old, but rather surprise the world and join in on the regular season

Guest Dasein

1. H Sedin

2. D Sedin

3. Burrows

4. Sturm

5. Hodgson

6. Samuelsson

7. Higgins

8. Malhotra

9. Hansen

10. Pinizzotto

11. Lapierre

12. Oreskovich

13. Hamhuis

14. Bieksa

15. Ballard

16. Edler

17. Alberts

18. Salo

19. Luongo

20. Schneider

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Opening Day Roster^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

21. Mancari

22. Rome

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Press Box Players^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

23. Schroeder*

24. Sweatt*

25. Archibald*

26. Rodin

27. Anthony

28. Friesen

29. Tanev*

30. Sauve*

31. Connauton*

32. Sulzer

33. Parent*

34. Erixon*

35. Polasek

36. Lack*

37. Nolan

38. Begin

39. Jensen

40. Corrado

All those guys are going to be playing in the AHL/ECHL for the Canucks, get cut from the team (Nolan, Begin), or return to their junior teams (Friesen, Polasek as overagers, Jensen, Corrado). The ones with a * next to their names are guys that I think will stick around. And that adds up to 30 with the regular 22 man roster that I proposed.

The guys with * are all players who have either played a year in the NHL/AHL or SEL (with the exception of Archibald), and are projected to play for the Wolves upon being cut. We have enough guys in that category that will benefit more at the immediate moment from sticking around the team than Nicklas Jensen.

That's why I feel he will be cut after the back-to-back games this weekend. I guess we could keep him around just so he can practice with the team and cut him after all the preseason games end, but he won't be seeing more game time after this weekend IMO.

Edited by Dasein

Guest Dasein

Never know, might pull a Skinner.

By that I don't mean hit 60 points as an 18 year old, but rather surprise the world and join in on the regular season

If Jensen isn't on pace to hit 60, he's not even going to get a glance.

You can't just send Jensen down to the minors, as he would have to go back to junior. He played very well with Schroeder and Pinizotto last night. And why would you put Jensen centering a line between Alex Bolduc who is a centerman, and Tanner Glass.

Yeah COHO didnt have the best linemates last night but he played well. I could see COHO, Jensen and Schroeder all make it, IF Manny isn't starting the year. We would be without 3 top 9 players. They could fill the void.

LOL read what he said properly

On merit u can make an arguement, but on the role hes going to be playing (prob 4th line) is it worth it to burn of a year of eligibility? Its not a knock on his talent, i've actually been very impressed with Jensen, hes looking more confident every single game, fact is, its going to be hard to crack the lineup if everybody is healthy. If he did, u have no arguements with me, but I do feel hes done enough to at least warrant a "hmmmm maybe lets try him for 9 games"

It wasn't just his (some might say) fluky goal last night or his 2 points. Nicklas Jensen, at 18, has what Hodgson and Schroeder have struggled with - NHL size and skating ability combined. He also knows where to be and understands the North American game. I know it's early and he's a winger, but after one game, if anyone is going to be around in Ryan Kesler's absence, it should be someone who can handle himself physically as well as all the other intangibles. Certainly, Cody or Jordan could step up at some point and claim the job, but based on one game and Jensen's physical attributes, he has to be the frontrunner to make this team right now.

At any rate, 10-15 games should be worth a try and if it doesn't work, the Nucks can always send him down. I'd like to see Cody Hodgson on the 2nd line as well, but I still think he needs to take skating lessons from Geoff Sanderson, another guy who had skating problems early in his career and worked on it until he was as fast as anyone. Size is still very much a part of the NHL game, as the rules don't seem to have helped many speedsters to any great degree (unless they have a set up man), and while Jensen might need to visit a few more greasy all you can eat buffets in town (I can suggest a few), he still seems to be strong enough to play at this level, at least on a temporary basis until Kesler gets back.

Certainly, we'll need more games to see if all this holds up, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Beware,

the Hodgson fanboys throw tantrums when anyone suggests he earn his spot.

Or that someone else may out play him for it.

Edited by terrible.dee
  • Upvote 1