b3.

Nicklas Jensen Talk

The commentators are saying Yensen. So does that settle it?

yup. though they have been wrong before, i don't think this is one of those times.

In some of the pro leagues, the commentators will travel with the team. That gives the players the chance to tell them how their name should be pronounced. It only becomes an issue on national broadcasts when someone else is calling it that differences and difficulties in pronouncing a players name occurs. Don Cherry and Bieksa/Bieska is one. I've also heard different BBC Match of the Day announcers call the same player different ways.

Jensen played well lastnight. He made some pretty nice passes out there. Hopefully he keeps it up

Jensen looked really good with the puck. Has some pretty nice dangles and pin-point pass on the backhand.

Yes, he looked very comfortable from what I saw, and he looked like he had an eye for offence.

Got some real skill there and could really handle the puck. Not afraid to go into the corners and dig for the puck. Would obviously like to see him be more physical but hopefully that comes with time and coaching.

I think he's trying too hard to be a set-up guy in this tourney. He's had some opportunities to take it hard to the net and been looking pass the whole way. Hope he plays this morning and shows some of that goal scoring instinct.

From Jensen's blog on the homepage:

Question: How do you pronounce your last name?

It’s pronounced Yensen in Danish but I find it weird when the Canadians say Yensen so Jensen’s fine.

So basically we were all right, can be pronounced any way

From Jensen's blog on the homepage:

Question: How do you pronounce your last name?

It's pronounced Yensen in Danish but I find it weird when the Canadians say Yensen so Jensen's fine.

So basically we were all right, can be pronounced any way

That's exactly what I said.

Even he thinks English people sound stupid when they try and pronounce it the Danish way.

Guest Dasein
Young Jensen takes things one day at a time

PENTICTON — The thought almost makes Nicklas Jensen’s head spin.Starting on Saturday at Rogers Arena he’ll be skating alongside a couple of Art Ross winners, one also a Hart winner the other a Ted Lindsay winner.

And an Olympic gold-medal goalie.

As well as the team that won the President’s Trophy and came within a game of winning the Stanley Cup.

Just think how overwhelming it would be if a Selke winner was able to make it to camp, too.

“It’s pretty hard to imagine, I’m kind of speechless when you ask me about that,” the 18-year-old Jensen said Thursday after the Canucks-hosted Young Stars tournament ended. “Obviously that’s been my dream since I was a little kid, to play in the NHL, and now I’m finally going to be on the ice with some big, big names.

“It’s kind of weird to be talking about playing in the NHL right now.

“It’s going to be huge and I’m really looking forward to it.”

There were some pleasant surprises at the Young Stars tournament: Power forward Darren Archibald might be a force in the NHL some day; defenceman Frankie Corrado has some great wheels; goalie Karel St. Laurent came seemingly out of nowhere (the Surrey Eagles, actually); winger Anton Rodin had flashes of brilliance; defenceman Adam Polasek was solid at both ends of the rink.

But it’s always the current year’s first-round pick that all eyes fall on and Jensen didn’t disappoint.

“Jensen looked extremely good, very strong, good skater, good hands,” said assistant GM Laurence Gilman.

The Dane knows he’ll be returning to Oshawa in the OHL, which in a way is a tremendous advantage in that it affords him the opportunity to go out and work his butt off and enjoy the experience without the pressure of trying to make the big club.

He’s got the one-day-at-a-time down pat — they seem to teach that at the peewee level these days — but it’s pretty hard for his mind not drift to Tuesday, when he’ll be suiting up with a Canucks crest on his chest for the first time against bona fide NHLers.

“You can’t look too much ahead, it would be too much, so just focus on the day you’re having and do your best every day, showing what you’ve got,” he said.

“I’m not going to be disappointed if I don’t make the Vancouver team, but I’m going to go out there with the mindset that I could make the team.”

Craig MacTavish, behind the Canucks bench for the Young Stars tournament, thinks the Canucks got a bargain at No. 29 in the June draft.

“You’ve got to be happy with him and that draft choice, for sure,” MacTavish said. “He’s got a high skill level and he’s strong on the puck, which is important.”

NOTES: Several skill players at Young Stars should benefit from playing with NHL linemates and defence partners, namely Yann Sauve, Kevin Connauton, Bill Sweatt and Jordan Schroeder. None exactly set the world on fire in Penticton. “When young players like this get to skate with bona fide NHL players, they’re going to get a far greater opportunity to show how skilled they are,” Gilman said.

twitter.com/gmacsports

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Young+Jensen+takes+things+time/5410434/story.html#ixzz1Y5T2QkyC

• Upvote 1

^ Jensen said in his blog he doesn't want canadiens saying "yensen" because it's weird.

So "Jensen" is what everyone should call him

^ Jensen said in his blog he doesn't want canadiens saying "yensen" because it's weird.

So "Jensen" is what everyone should call him

I, as a Danish-Canadian, always pronounce Scandinavian names in the Scandinavian way, the same with any other languages, if I don't know how to pronounce it, then I'll find out. So I'm just sticking with "Yensen".

It wasn't just his (some might say) fluky goal last night or his 2 points. Nicklas Jensen, at 18, has what Hodgson and Schroeder have struggled with - NHL size and skating ability combined. He also knows where to be and understands the North American game. I know it's early and he's a winger, but after one game, if anyone is going to be around in Ryan Kesler's absence, it should be someone who can handle himself physically as well as all the other intangibles. Certainly, Cody or Jordan could step up at some point and claim the job, but based on one game and Jensen's physical attributes, he has to be the frontrunner to make this team right now.

At any rate, 10-15 games should be worth a try and if it doesn't work, the Nucks can always send him down. I'd like to see Cody Hodgson on the 2nd line as well, but I still think he needs to take skating lessons from Geoff Sanderson, another guy who had skating problems early in his career and worked on it until he was as fast as anyone. Size is still very much a part of the NHL game, as the rules don't seem to have helped many speedsters to any great degree (unless they have a set up man), and while Jensen might need to visit a few more greasy all you can eat buffets in town (I can suggest a few), he still seems to be strong enough to play at this level, at least on a temporary basis until Kesler gets back.

Certainly, we'll need more games to see if all this holds up, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

• Upvote 2

i stopped reading after you called his goal fluky.

• Upvote 1

i stopped reading after you called his goal fluky.

Do you know what brackets are used for? It's called playing devil's advocate. I don't personally believe that, but I was giving creedence to another opinion. But - point taken.

• Upvote 1