b3.

Nicklas Jensen Talk

It seems logical that a centre would replace Kesler in his absence, no?

True, but if Jensen is plays the way he did last night all preseason and Hodgson continues to look mediocre, you have to go with the best player available to you. This team could use a power forward, too. Is Cody particularly good in the faceoff circle?

Edited by surfer53

Guest Dasein

True, but if Jensen is plays the way he did last night all preseason and Hodgson continues to look mediocre, you have to go with the best player available to you. This team could use a power forward, too. Is Cody partically good in the faceoff circle?

Have Alex Bolduc centering Jensen with Tanner Glass on the other wing and try to score against Kipprusoff first before you lay judgement that Hodgson had a "mediocre" night.

Because that's pretty much what Hodgson did centering Mike Duco and Victor Oreskovich - and he almost scored.

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 4

Have Alex Bolduc centering Jensen with Tanner Glass on the other wing and try to score against Kipprusoff first before you lay judgement that Hodgson had a "mediocre" night.

Because that's pretty much what Hodgson did centering Mike Duco and Victor Oreskovich - and he almost scored.

True. Like I said, we're 2 games into preseason. Let's see what happens. I just like Jensen physically as a player.

Be careful, guys who look good in the beginning of preseason won't necessarily look good by the end of it. Then there is a big jump from end of preseason to the regular season, and another increase in competition after the first 20 or so games. The playoffs see another rise in level of play, and it just goes up from there the deeper you go.

We are building our team for the playoffs, we are not the Oilers.

Besides, management has made it clear they want our prospects to not just be ready for the NHL, but to be as ready as they can possibly be for the NHL, it would be very dismissive to assume Jensen can't do anything to get more NHL ready, he is young and there is every reason to believe he has room to get better before making the jump.

I will admit Jensen has looked good so far, so just be happy to know we have a good player coming our way in a few years, and leave it at that for now, whilst enjoying some awesome preseason action.

Edited by LostViking
  • Upvote 3

Jensen could use a few years on the Wolves to really be ready, will help him make the NHL. He is not ready yet..

You can't just send Jensen down to the minors, as he would have to go back to junior. He played very well with Schroeder and Pinizotto last night. And why would you put Jensen centering a line between Alex Bolduc who is a centerman, and Tanner Glass.

Yeah COHO didnt have the best linemates last night but he played well. I could see COHO, Jensen and Schroeder all make it, IF Manny isn't starting the year. We would be without 3 top 9 players. They could fill the void.

At most I could see him getting 4 or 5 games then being sent back to junior but even that is unlikely.

I can see Nicklas Jensen getting 9 games with the team this year before being sent back to junior, but I don't see him sticking with the team for the entire season.

True, but if Jensen is plays the way he did last night all preseason and Hodgson continues to look mediocre, you have to go with the best player available to you. This team could use a power forward, too. Is Cody particularly good in the faceoff circle?

You might want to look at some of the later posts in the Jensen thread:

yes, he only needs a contract to play in the regular season. even if they sign him, which they most likely will, his contract can slide/not count against our contract totals if we send him back down to the CHL this season within 9 games.

He does need a contract yet, and with us very close to the 50 contract limit, there's no guarantee he gets one when we need a center more. It won't stop Gillis if he is absolutely fantastic, but if they don't use someone like Hodgson or Ebbett to fill in as a center then they're likely to sign Begin so that'll be one more contract gone.

They'll likely let him develop in Junior anyways, especially since one of his opportunities is his long-term conditioning needing some work. Let him polish off the rough edges in Junior and come back another year wiser before we rush him in after preseason.

<br />It wasn't just his (some might say) fluky goal last night or his 2 points. Nicklas Jensen, at 18, has what Hodgson and Schroeder have struggled with - NHL size and skating ability combined. He also knows where to be and understands the North American game. I know it's early and he's a winger, but after one game, if anyone is going to be around in Ryan Kesler's absence, it should be someone who can handle himself physically as well as all the other intangibles. Certainly, Cody or Jordan could step up at some point and claim the job, but based on one game and Jensen's physical attributes, he has to be the frontrunner to make this team right now. <br /><br />At any rate, 10-15 games should be worth a try and if it doesn't work, the Nucks can always send him down. I'd like to see Cody Hodgson on the 2nd line as well, but I still think he needs to take skating lessons from Geoff Sanderson, another guy who had skating problems early in his career and worked on it until he was as fast as anyone. Size is still very much a part of the NHL game, as the rules don't seem to have helped many speedsters to any great degree (unless they have a set up man), and while Jensen might need to visit a few more greasy all you can eat buffets in town (I can suggest a few), he still seems to be strong enough to play at this level, at least on a temporary basis until Kesler gets back. <br /><br />Certainly, we'll need more games to see if all this holds up, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.<br />
<br /><br /><br />cody is like a moose in a china store he just don,t really fit in so how long are we going to say that he is great come on he,s slow not strong on the puck move him and move on l say

Are you people even serious? Of course he's a solid prospect, but c'mon, his chances of starting the season or joining the team within the first 40 games is absolutely zero. The Canucks definitely want bring the kid up right, and in the NHL is just not realistic, this year, way too many ahead of him at this point. Silly to even talk about this. Go Canucks!

Edited by KenCanuck

id like to see jensen crack the line up, but he needs to put on 10-15 pounds before he is resdy. if he can do that for next years training camp, & with samuelsson a UFA, you gotta like his chances of making it for next year.

Hey Canuck World

Nicklas Jensen was Vancouvers 29th pick overall this year in the NHL draft. He is listed at 6'2 202 pounds on the Canucks homepage, however on eliteprospects.com he is listed at 6'3 187 pounds. He was born in his hometown of Herning, Denmark in March of 1993. Jensen is a prospect wh although he was only drafted this past year, however I believe he is not too far off from being NHL ready.

Nicklas Jensen has already spent time playing professional hockey with full grown men and has succeeded at it. At age 16 he made the jump from playing in a junior Danish leauge to playing in the top Danish hockey leauge with full grown men and managed to put up 12 goals and 14 assists for a total of 26 points in 34 games played, earning Rookie of the Year honors.

Secondly, this kid is built for the NHL. At 18 years of age, although exact facts are sketchy, He is almost 6'3 and over 200 pounds. At 18 he has the size of a 24 year old NHL regular. Jensen has been described as power forward and since he has spent time playing against men much large and stronger then himself, he has already learned how to use his size to his advantage, which is something that is rare in European born players.

My final reason is how quickly Nicklas has adjusted to the North American game. In just this past year, Jensen has come to Canada from Denmark, learned English, learned to play in a smaller arena where everything is quicker, you dont have nearly as much time to think, and the game is rougher. However, not only did this kid "adjust", he succeeded! In his first season play in the OHL with the Oshawa Generals he put up 29 Goals and 29 Assists for 58 Points in 61 Games. There is no doubt that if he had played a second season in the OHL and if scouts knew more about him, he would have been ranked alot higher in the draft then what he was.

The Danish NHL hockey player is something that we are only starting to see in the past 10 years. Currently there are only six active Danish grown hockey players who have spent time in the NHL and they are all under 27 years of age. The line of Jensen, Schroeder, and Pinnizotto was just a taste of what I believe is to come from this kid. The goal he scored last night, although the shot was weak and kind of luck, was a product of knowing how to control the puck under pressure and knowing how to use his size to his advantage. Jensen rode and rolled off of two Calgary checks become spinning around to throw a wrister on net, probally hoping for a rebound. If Jensen has the same heart and soul of our very own Jannik Hansen, there is no doubt that we will all be seeing him in the NHL very soon and could end up being that Power Forward we've craved since Bertuzzi left. Buckle up Canuck fans because in the next two years this team will be filled with some Danish Delight!

• Upvote 2

Hey Canuck World

Nicklas Jensen was Vancouvers 29th pick overall this year in the NHL draft. He is listed at 6'2 202 pounds on the Canucks homepage, however on eliteprospects.com he is listed at 6'3 187 pounds. He was born in his hometown of Herning, Denmark in March of 1993. Jensen is a prospect wh although he was only drafted this past year, however I believe he is not too far off from being NHL ready.

Nicklas Jensen has already spent time playing professional hockey with full grown men and has succeeded at it. At age 16 he made the jump from playing in a junior Danish leauge to playing in the top Danish hockey leauge with full grown men and managed to put up 12 goals and 14 assists for a total of 26 points in 34 games played, earning Rookie of the Year honors.

Secondly, this kid is built for the NHL. At 18 years of age, although exact facts are sketchy, He is almost 6'3 and over 200 pounds. At 18 he has the size of a 24 year old NHL regular. Jensen has been described as power forward and since he has spent time playing against men much large and stronger then himself, he has already learned how to use his size to his advantage, which is something that is rare in European born players.

My final reason is how quickly Nicklas has adjusted to the North American game. In just this past year, Jensen has come to Canada from Denmark, learned English, learned to play in a smaller arena where everything is quicker, you dont have nearly as much time to think, and the game is rougher. However, not only did this kid "adjust", he succeeded! In his first season play in the OHL with the Oshawa Generals he put up 29 Goals and 29 Assists for 58 Points in 61 Games. There is no doubt that if he had played a second season in the OHL and if scouts knew more about him, he would have been ranked alot higher in the draft then what he was.

The Danish NHL hockey player is something that we are only starting to see in the past 10 years. Currently there are only six active Danish grown hockey players who have spent time in the NHL and they are all under 27 years of age. The line of Jensen, Schroeder, and Pinnizotto was just a taste of what I believe is to come from this kid. The goal he scored last night, although the shot was weak and kind of luck, was a product of knowing how to control the puck under pressure and knowing how to use his size to his advantage. Jensen rode and rolled off of two Calgary checks become spinning around to throw a wrister on net, probally hoping for a rebound. If Jensen has the same heart and soul of our very own Jannik Hansen, there is no doubt that we will all be seeing him in the NHL very soon and could end up being that Power Forward we've craved since Bertuzzi left. Buckle up Canuck fans because in the next two years this team will be filled with some Danish Delight!

• Upvote 2

Be careful, guys who look good in the beginning of preseason won't necessarily look good by the end of it. Then there is a big jump from end of preseason to the regular season, and another increase in competition after the first 20 or so games. The playoffs see another rise in level of play, and it just goes up from there the deeper you go.

We are building our team for the playoffs, we are not the Oilers.

Besides, management has made it clear they want our prospects to not just be ready for the NHL, but to be as ready as they can possibly be for the NHL, it would be very dismissive to assume Jensen can't do anything to get more NHL ready, he is young and there is every reason to believe he has room to get better before making the jump.

I will admit Jensen has looked good so far, so just be happy to know we have a good player coming our way in a few years, and leave it at that for now, whilst enjoying some awesome preseason action.

Shirokov is an good example

Not a chance he'll make the team. Won't even get 9 games.

He's far better off going straight to the OHL after the pre-season.

If Jensen makes it to the final pre season game along with Hodgson then expect these 2 to play together hopefully. I think they can both make each other better and I expect to see him either making the team or being one of the last cuts on the team.

"as well as other intangibles"

Do tell.

Furthermore, that statement also reveals how you simply want to see Jensen in the lineup, without a real valid excuse.