b3.

Nicklas Jensen Talk

Hey Canuck World

Nicklas Jensen was Vancouvers 29th pick overall this year in the NHL draft. He is listed at 6'2 202 pounds on the Canucks homepage, however on eliteprospects.com he is listed at 6'3 187 pounds. He was born in his hometown of Herning, Denmark in March of 1993. Jensen is a prospect wh although he was only drafted this past year, however I believe he is not too far off from being NHL ready.

Nicklas Jensen has already spent time playing professional hockey with full grown men and has succeeded at it. At age 16 he made the jump from playing in a junior Danish leauge to playing in the top Danish hockey leauge with full grown men and managed to put up 12 goals and 14 assists for a total of 26 points in 34 games played, earning Rookie of the Year honors.

Secondly, this kid is built for the NHL. At 18 years of age, although exact facts are sketchy, He is almost 6'3 and over 200 pounds. At 18 he has the size of a 24 year old NHL regular. Jensen has been described as power forward and since he has spent time playing against men much large and stronger then himself, he has already learned how to use his size to his advantage, which is something that is rare in European born players.

My final reason is how quickly Nicklas has adjusted to the North American game. In just this past year, Jensen has come to Canada from Denmark, learned English, learned to play in a smaller arena where everything is quicker, you dont have nearly as much time to think, and the game is rougher. However, not only did this kid "adjust", he succeeded! In his first season play in the OHL with the Oshawa Generals he put up 29 Goals and 29 Assists for 58 Points in 61 Games. There is no doubt that if he had played a second season in the OHL and if scouts knew more about him, he would have been ranked alot higher in the draft then what he was.

The Danish NHL hockey player is something that we are only starting to see in the past 10 years. Currently there are only six active Danish grown hockey players who have spent time in the NHL and they are all under 27 years of age. The line of Jensen, Schroeder, and Pinnizotto was just a taste of what I believe is to come from this kid. The goal he scored last night, although the shot was weak and kind of luck, was a product of knowing how to control the puck under pressure and knowing how to use his size to his advantage. Jensen rode and rolled off of two Calgary checks become spinning around to throw a wrister on net, probally hoping for a rebound. If Jensen has the same heart and soul of our very own Jannik Hansen, there is no doubt that we will all be seeing him in the NHL very soon and could end up being that Power Forward we've craved since Bertuzzi left. Buckle up Canuck fans because in the next two years this team will be filled with some Danish Delight!

Thanks for the break down. I'm also excited to see Jensen play! It's great to see another Danish player with good draft pedigree and lots of talent. That's the beauty of being big at a young age, it gives him an edge over other players like Hodgson and Schroeder who don't have a whole lot of size. I like your time line of two years for him to be making an appearance with the Canucks in Vancouver. Gives him a little bit of time. Hopefully he continues to impress.

Cheers,

Ramone

While this may look like a rehashed Shirokov thread, remember one thing: Sergei is 5'9-10 and almost 26. Jensen is 18, and 6'3-4. He looked big out there, too. It's a lot easier for bigger players who are stronger on the puck to make it to the NHL than these small guys. I'd agree with the Shirokov comparison if it wasn't for the physique diference. Hodgson and especially Schroeder, have the same problem.

It wasn't just his (some might say) fluky goal last night or his 2 points. Nicklas Jensen, at 18, has what Hodgson and Schroeder have struggled with - NHL size and skating ability combined. He also knows where to be and understands the North American game. I know it's early and he's a winger, but after one game, if anyone is going to be around in Ryan Kesler's absence, it should be someone who can handle himself physically as well as all the other intangibles. Certainly, Cody or Jordan could step up at some point and claim the job, but based on one game and Jensen's physical attributes, he has to be the frontrunner to make this team right now.

At any rate, 10-15 games should be worth a try and if it doesn't work, the Nucks can always send him down. I'd like to see Cody Hodgson on the 2nd line as well, but I still think he needs to take skating lessons from Geoff Sanderson, another guy who had skating problems early in his career and worked on it until he was as fast as anyone. Size is still very much a part of the NHL game, as the rules don't seem to have helped many speedsters to any great degree (unless they have a set up man), and while Jensen might need to visit a few more greasy all you can eat buffets in town (I can suggest a few), he still seems to be strong enough to play at this level, at least on a temporary basis until Kesler gets back.

Certainly, we'll need more games to see if all this holds up, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

all i gotta say is HELL NO,had to edit and add more cause this is just so stupid. look at our roster and tell me why the F*** he would make the team. shorthouse said it best for the goal. "put it on goal and SOMETIMES itll go in" lucky shot bad save PERIOD.btw i Am certinly questioning your hockey knowledge

Edited by j-to-the-r.o.c
  • Upvote 1

The Canucks are following the Red Wings system in the sense that they are developing players much longer then other teams usually do. That's why Detroit always has success in their prospect pool and development. Jensen won't have a shot at making the team until he's 20.

all i gotta say is HELL NO,had to edit and add more cause this is just so stupid. look at our roster and tell me why the F*** he would make the team. shorthouse said it best for the goal. "put it on goal and SOMETIMES itll go in" lucky shot bad save PERIOD.btw i Am certinly questioning your hockey knowledge

I didn't realize your opinion was so important. I'll remember for next time. You can make personal attacks all you want, but you obviously weren't reading my post. I said clearly that he'd be worth a look as a temporary fix for our injuries. Nothing more. I never said he'd be a season long solution. Name-calling is so 1999.

Jensen is not going to make the team no matter how good he looks in preseason. He especially needs to gain more strength to endure the rigors of a full season. This was one preseason game against lesser players. It will be a lot more physical and a lot more intense.

I can't even see Jensen getting the nine games. Don't get me wrong, I like him and I think he'll be a great player. But sending him back to Oshawa will be much better for him.

Let our players develop properly. Lots of young players' careers are ruined because they're rushed. I haven't heard of one that was derailed by patience.

He won't make the team.

His 9 games? Well, he probably won't get 9 but if Samuelsson, Raymond, Bitz, Kesler AND Malhotra are ALL out and Nolan or Begin DON'T make the team, then maybe he'll play a few games until one of the injured players come back or GMMG makes a trade/signing.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Sturm - Hodgson - Jensen

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Oreskovich - Lapierre - Duco

?? It's highly doubtful that situation would arise though.

I am really happy Gillis drafted him. He has everything we want, speed,size and skill. He won't make the team though. I am looking forward to watching him at the World Juniors!

No I just don't see Jensen making the team when Cody and a few others will be given a crack at making the team before he does. Jensen would have a much better time developing with his JR team for the next 1-2 years and then getting some ice time with the Wolves.

Jensen's advantage over Hodgson and Schroeder, and Shirokov before him, is that he possesses the tools to play a bottom 6 role while he develops, like Kesler and Burrows before him. Don't be surprised if Jensen makes the team at a younger age than Hodgson and Schroeder do.

• Upvote 1

Jensen is too young to play in the AHL you need to be 20

That's only true if you were drafted from the CHL (which Jensen was) and if your CHL team is currently playing their regular season/still active in their postseason. Players drafted from european leagues, the NCAA, or minor hockey (like BCHL) can play in the AHL at any time. and even then once your CHL team is eliminated/regular season is over, you can play in the AHL.

Jensen's advantage over Hodgson and Schroeder, and Shirokov before him, is that he possesses the tools to play a bottom 6 role while he develops, like Kesler and Burrows before him. Don't be surprised if Jensen makes the team at a younger age than Hodgson and Schroeder do.

i'd be surprised, since you can get established nhl quality 4th liners for cheaper than Jensen, and they want him to develop into a skilled forward, not a 4th line grinder. Besides, Kes didn't play in the NHL until he was 21, and burrows didn't play in the nhl until he was 24. I don't see why Jensen would be put into a 4th line situation to develop before those ages. ideally, we'd see him in a year or 2 (or 3) on the 3rd line

Maybe if by bottom six you mean 'third line'. Nicklas won't be starting his career on the 4th line, but he does have the ablitiy (just like Hodgson..) to be a decent 2-way player on the 3rd.

But then again if AV is our coach he'll probably stick him on the 4th anyway much like Grabner playing with Rypien in the playoffs after being on pace for 20 goals and playing hard in the regular season.

I'm stoked about this kid. He's the complete package. Now if we can somehow get Lars Eller then we can have a whole Danish line!

I'm stoked about this kid. He's the complete package. Now if we can somehow get Lars Eller then we can have a whole Danish line!

If Lars can take the next step, it would actually be a pretty cool duo of Eller the playmaker and Jensen the snipe.

I think people shouldn't be so quick to write Jensen's chances of sticking off so quickly. Yes, he's a long shot, but to say he has absolutely zero chance is off base. Take Jeff Skinner as an example. Now I realize that the Hurricanes are a different situation in that there was more opportunity there, then there is here, for a rookie to crack the lineup. However not many people expected Skinner to stick because he wasn't a strong skater (or that was one of the biggest knocks against him) and he's pretty small.

Now I know people are fixated on who's going to get the 2nd line center job, but also remember that there is an audition right now for one of the wings on the 2nd line as Raymond is out for a while yet. Jensen has looked good and yes, I do realize that there is a danger into putting too much stock into a players performance during the pre-season, but if Jensen continues to play very well, it couldn't hurt at all to give him his 9 games and see how it goes.

I understand that we want to develop prospects properly (though we haven't done such a hot job with Hodgson), but if a guy shows he can play and play at a high level at the NHL level, regardless of age, he should stick if he's outplaying other players that are vying for the same position. So don't write his chances off so quickly

No.

Let him go play in the OHL and let him learn to completely dominate and become a game changer.

He still needs to develop his defensive game to an NHL level and mature further physically.

Let him get his feet wet then sent him to junior.

We dont want to rush our prospects when they arent ready and our lineup is full (kyle turris anyone).

And after his junior season is over we can bring him in to play the last few games of the regular season and soak up a long playoff run as a black ace.

I dont want to see Jensen for at least another year or two.

Dont get me wrong i love this kid. I think he's going to be a great player for us.