b3.

Nicklas Jensen Talk

5,338 posts in this topic

like the pick. he's got the tools to be a very good nhl player. at camp I would have him room with kesler and if some of kesler's work ethic could rub off on him we could be looking at a very scary player in a few years.

He seems like a solid pick, but there's only one thing I'm worried about. He's rumoured to take shifts off, not play as hard as he could because he's tired or not as motivated. Hopefully when he meets the team and Kesler, Burrows, and Hansen show him the value of giving his all, every shift, every night, he'll turn into a spectacular player.

He seems like a solid pick, but there's only one thing I'm worried about. He's rumoured to take shifts off, not play as hard as he could because he's tired or not as motivated. Hopefully when he meets the team and Kesler, Burrows, and Hansen show him the value of giving his all, every shift, every night, he'll turn into a spectacular player.

They say that about a lot of young players. Could be a variety of reasons. Not being pushed by coaches, not being challenged enough on the ice, ect.

Often these things take care of themselves.

I said it in the other thread in Canucks Talk, but it could be quite helpful to have Hansen to help him transition. They could room together and Hansen could teach him work ethic and hitting and maybe learn a little himself about how to finish a play!

Hansen teaching someone how to finish? :lol:

He'd be killer to have Hansen's work ethic though. I hope it rubs off on Jensen

No, he said Hansen could learn a little something about finishing a play from Jensen. :P

I have NHL 11 for ps3 and it never breaks down the potential for Offence, Defense, and Athleticism. Unlike NHL 10, it just gives me a simple A, A-, B, B- etc potential overall :(

? Yeah it does, right click on a player and in the top right hand part it will tell you.

do you guys think he will play for the nucks next season? i hope so even though hes 18 and could use afew years in AHL

do you guys think he will play for the nucks next season? i hope so even though hes 18 and could use afew years in AHL

I don't really think that is realistic. Jensen is going to need a few years to develope his game.

He'll almost certainly be going back to Junior next year. He's not old enough for the AHL and I'd be VERY surprised if he manages to stick on the big club straight off the bat.

From what I've seem and read about him so far I am very impressed. He's got size and skill, and skates pretty well for a big guy. Work ethic can be learned and implemented. He's young and is sure to fill out and expand his game. I'm very happy with this pick, though I am surprised we managed to get him.

he's still a couple years out, but he has the potential to be great. I can't wait to see how he performs next season in the OHL.

Most of our picks this year to go along with Arichibald are big guys who take it to another level in the Playoffs.

? Yeah it does, right click on a player and in the top right hand part it will tell you.

lmfao wow, i harsh goofed it. I didn't know you can scroll through the info like that

No, he said Hansen could learn a little something about finishing a play from Jensen. :P

Thanks, One one two. That was my intent that Hansen could learn from Jensen about finish although I can see how it'd be unclear.

I had pretty much the same post in the other thread but worded it to be more clear:

I wasn't too sure about him as I was interested in someone like Jenner this far down the draft, but he is an interesting prospect. The first thing I thought was when he makes it here, perhaps he'll room with Hansen and they can teach each other their strengths: Hansen can teach him work ethic and hitting while Jensen can teach him goal scoring/finishing.

No immediate impact from the sounds of things (didn't expect it) but could develop nicely.

Edited by elvis15

Thats not actually what he said, but what he meant, lol

did anyone else get the feeling when he was interviewing that he looks and sounds a lot like naslund. some of his goals look like nazzy's a few years ago.

i wonder if when gillis interviewed him he got chills

imo the resembelence is uncanny

Didn't know anything about Jensen before the Canucks drafted him. I was looking at the players rated around the 29th position. He is the type of prospect I was hoping for in the first round - a skilled power forward. Sounds like Jensen has the right mindset to become a good NHLer.

did anyone else get the feeling when he was interviewing that he looks and sounds a lot like naslund. some of his goals look like nazzy's a few years ago.

i wonder if when gillis interviewed him he got chills

imo the resembelence is uncanny

Personally, I think his scouting report is much more akin to:

ASSETS: Is versatile, solid at both ends of the ice and great along the boards. Has underrated moves and a nose for the net.

FLAWS: Takes so much punishment in front of the opposing goal that he is prone to injury. Isn't a great passer, either.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Power forward.

http://www.letsgowings.com/profiles/franzen_johan.php

ASSETS: Skates very well for a big forward and always drives the net with authority. Is versatile, solid at both ends of the ice and great along the boards. Has underrated moves and a nose for the net. Creates space for his linemates.

FLAWS: Takes so much punishment in front of the opposing goal that he is prone to injuries and wear & tear. Needs to improve his passing ability. Could intimidate opponents better if he were more aggressive physically.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Very good scoring winger with size.

http://www.forecaster.ca/sportsplus/hockey/player.cgi?3802

The knock on Franzen has been his sporadic play and playing below his capability (obviously not an issue once the tougher playoff style of game rolls around).

Jensen has a sizeable frame and the natural hockey qualities that scouts look for - soft hands, great shot, and a good hockey sense. Jensen lacks that elite top end speed but is capable of finding time and space with his slick hands and elusive playing style. It took Nicklas a while to adjust to the CHL game but he eventually impressed when he notched 11 goals and 8 assists in just twelve January games. The former Rookie of the Year in the top Danish League projects to become a top-6 scoring forward with 30+ goal scoring upside.

Scout’s Honour:

-NHL Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards,

“Nicklas has adjusted very well to the OHL. His puck-handling and play-making ability are excellent. He has an excellent wrist shot that he gets off quickly.

- Oshawa Generals GM and coach Chris DePiero,

“He’s starting to take off, certainly after Christmas, after he returned from the World Junior B pool and spending some time at home, since he’s been back he’s been on fire. It’s renewed confidence for him. He’s proving that the accolades coming his way are well deserved. They feed off each other (Lucas Lessio, Andy Andreoff and Nicklas Jensen). It’s not the pretty passing plays, it’s the little touch passes. They utilize their size and their quickness. Their puck protection is excellent. … They have a chemistry, the three of them. It’s been kind of neat.”

- Kirk Luedeke of B2011DW,

He’s a long strider who covers a lot of ground with a powerful push, but needs to keep the feet moving. He can really rip it, too- scores more than a few goals from the outside with laser release and ability to pick corners. So, while he brings some real impressive talents and abilities to the mix, Jensen has to keep his compete levels at a higher level. How far will he drop in the draft? Our guess is not too far past 20 if at all because he is such a talented player that a team is likely going to believe they can reach and keep motivated…If Boone Jenner’s motor was installed inside this kid, he’d be a top-three pick- no kidding. Big upside with this one, but some bust potential as well.”

- HockeyProspect.com’s 2011 NHL Draft Guide

NHL Potential:

Top 6 Scoring Line Winger or Bust (30+ G, 30 A)

Strengths:

*See “One Timer” section above

- Fantastic release and wrist shot

- Strong playmaking abilities

- Tremendous finishing ability

- NHL Size

Flaws/Aspects He Needs to Work On:

- Improve on his overall strength

- Needs to bring his ‘A’ game more consistently

- Continue to add bulk to his frame

- Improve on utilizing his large frame for puck protection

I think that's a much better comparison considering Jensen is 6'2.25" 202lbs & Franzen is 6'3" 222lbs. Naslund, meanwhile, could absolutely fly out there and was only 6'0" 190lbs...

Edited by Millerdraft

Here is something I noticed about Gillis' drafting. When they drafted Hodgson, the knock on him was his skating. So, next year they went out and drafted Schroeder, who is a tremendous skater, but the knock on him was his size. This year we go out draft Jensen, who has both size and speed. What I like is, MG is really addressing our needs when it comes to prospects. Good scouting does pay off.