b3.

Nicklas Jensen Talk

5,338 posts in this topic

I am really happy Gillis drafted Jensen. He has size and skill. If he has the work ethic of Hansen he will be a stud in the future.

Team Jensen won the 3 on 3 tournament today. :D

I think he had Honzik as his goalie though, so that explains why they won.

Province article a few days back:

Canucks' rookie Jensen focuses on opportunity in the corners

By Jim Jamieson, The Province July 8, 2011

29th overall pick Nicklas Jensen by the Vancouver Canucks stands onstage for a photo with members of the Vancouver Canucks organization during day one of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft at Xcel Energy Center on June 24, 2011 in St Paul, Minnesota.

29th overall pick Nicklas Jensen by the Vancouver Canucks stands onstage for a photo with members of the Vancouver Canucks organization during day one of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft at Xcel Energy Center on June 24, 2011 in St Paul, Minnesota.

Photograph by: Bruce Bennett, Getty Images

Nicklas Jensen has always idolized one-time superstar Jaromir Jagr and even mused after Thursday's prospects camp workouts that it would have been really cool if the huge Czech winger had signed with the Canucks instead of Philly.

He was joking, of course, but you know the Canucks are seriously happy that the player they used their first round pick to select 29th overall in the NHL entry draft on June 24 is all about using his big body to protect the puck and make plays.

“Growing up, I really enjoyed watching Jaromir Jagr and the way he can protect the puck,” said Jensen,18, a 6-foot-2, 202-pound power forward from Herning, Denmark. “If you can protect the puck well it's going to make it even harder for the opponent to get it off you. If you're strong on the puck that will help you out a lot instead of losing it all the time and having to go back and get it again. It's one of the things I really want to focus on, using my size and creating chances out of really nothing from the corners.”

That Jensen's English is excellent is no surprise because his father, Dan, is from Toronto and played in the OHL before playing in Denmark and settling down there. But the Canucks were more impressed with his maturity when doing pre-draft interviews.

“He played in the top pro league (in Denmark) at 16 and he put up numbers,” said Canucks director of player development Dave Gagner. “So he's got some experience playing with men already. He's got a really big body. He talks like a pro already. Most of the kids you interview don't say things like puck protection and battle, but he already understands that. From what our scouts have told us, he enjoys that one on one confrontation where he uses his body to shield the puck and wait for help.”

Already having an NHL frame to go along with the 29 goals and 58 points in 61 games a rookie with Oshawa of the OHL last season just enhances his track to the NHL.

Jensen said he's spoken with fellow Dane Jannik Hansen, who called to welcome him to the organization on draft day.

“I don't know Jannik as well as the other Danish guys, but he seems like a really nice guy and I'm really looking forward to seeing him,” said Jensen.

That will be in September at training camp, but until then he's enjoying his first visit to Vancouver.

“It's like having a little New York in the mountains,” he said. “I'm not used to the big towers and it's the most beautiful place on earth almost with the mountains and the lakes and the ocean.”

- The Canucks announced the signing of free agent depth defenceman Alexander Sulzer, who signed a two-way deal that pays $700,000 at the NHL level and $105,000 in the minors. Vancouver also signed minor league goaltender Matt Climie to back up Eddie Lack for AHL Chicago Wolves.

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canucks+rookie+Jensen+focuses+opportunity+corners/5068813/story.html#ixzz1RkHEiaNU

Not to put pressure on the kid. But the way everyone in the organisation is gushing about him, do we have a fantastic late first round pick or what??? :D

After reading the article Millerdraft posted, sounds like Jensen is already matured.

Hopefully his success in the OHL can translate into the AHL. Im not expecting him

to make the Canucks squad this year or next. However he does have the size to be

playing in the NHL though...

After pick 15 all I did was hope Jensen fell to us at 29. Was SO pleased with this pick. He's the type I could see leapfrogging Hodgson in a year or two and getting a few callups due to his size...

I spent the past 3 years dreaming about Hodgson arriving. Now the next 3 years will go by waiting for this kid to make it to the big leagues. Here's to the next 3 years. cheers!!!

Is it just me, or has Jensen become the golden boy now with Hodgson being pushed into the shadows?

I dunno, I just feel like Jensen has more of what it takes to be successful at the NHL level. I have always been a fan of Hodgson and even my friends can attest I get so damn excited everytime he touches the puck when he plays for us, but he really needs to step up this training camp and show us what he has...I think these next couple of months might just define Hodgson's career.

Is it just me, or has Jensen become the golden boy now with Hodgson being pushed into the shadows?

I dunno, I just feel like Jensen has more of what it takes to be successful at the NHL level. I have always been a fan of Hodgson and even my friends can attest I get so damn excited everytime he touches the puck when he plays for us, but he really needs to step up this training camp and show us what he has...I think these next couple of months might just define Hodgson's career.

:picard:

a rookies first season will define his career? I guess no-one told the sedins, kesler, burrows, stamkos, etc. etc. etc. that.

sometime's I'm just in awe with CDC... other times I'm just flat out appalled... Right now I'm just dumbfounded.

Edited by avelanch

hodgson is our number 1 prospect

i really hope jensen does well tho and matures alittle faster

you gotta remember hodgson had an injury and they messed up and had to reevaluate him , and that was in the summer

i expect to see a different player come camp

Jensen has the explosive speed and the size that Hodgson lacks. The only thing Hodgson really has over Jensen is his hockey sense. The reason Jensen seems so attractive right now is our positional needs - Jensen's that skilled power forward winger we've been waiting for since Bertuzzi, whereas we already have 4 legitimate centers locked up ahead of Hodgson. However, Hodgson will probably to move to wing starting next season initially (1-5 years) to make the roster.

Both are intriguing prospects. Hodgson is much closer to being NHL-ready and has had the "Junior" pedigree. I don't really think that Jensen is the new golden boy, or that Hodgson was the golden boy to even begin with (even after the WJC, I thought he was a bit overrated by our boards, as we always do with all our prospects).

Instead, I think of the possibilities of Hodgson centering the speedy power forward winger for years to come. I hope to see:

Jensen - Hodgson - Schroeder

Jensen = power forward - brings speed, size, net presence, deadly wrist shot

Hodgson = smart center - brings hockey sense, ability to slow game down, good shot, good passing

Schroeder = passing winger - brings passing ability, speed, good shot

I see Hodgson holding on to the puck and running the plays - either shooting himself or setting up Jensen for a shot or pass to Schroeder. If Schroeder gets the puck, I see him looking to pass to Jensen for a tap-in or a pass back to Hodgson for a one-timer - really see this guy being the playmaker of this line. If Jensen gets it, I expect him to shoot it or drive to the net with it. Could be one heck of a line. Might be Rodin on RW instead of Schroeder.

Edited by Dasein

Jensen has the explosive speed and the size that Hodgson lacks. The only thing Hodgson really has over Jensen is his hockey sense. The reason Jensen seems so attractive right now is our positional needs - Jensen's that skilled power forward winger we've been waiting for since Bertuzzi, whereas we already have 4 legitimate centers locked up ahead of Hodgson. However, Hodgson will probably to move to wing starting next season initially (1-5 years) to make the roster.

Both are intriguing prospects. Hodgson is much closer to being NHL-ready and has had the "Junior" pedigree. I don't really think that Jensen is the new golden boy, or that Hodgson was the golden boy to even begin with (even after the WJC, I thought he was a bit overrated by our boards, as we always do with all our prospects).

Instead, I think of the possibilities of Hodgson centering the speedy power forward winger for years to come. I hope to see:

Jensen - Hodgson - Schroeder

Jensen = power forward - brings speed, size, net presence, deadly wrist shot

Hodgson = smart center - brings hockey sense, ability to slow game down, good shot, good passing

Schroeder = passing winger - brings passing ability, speed, good shot

I see Hodgson holding on to the puck and running the plays - either shooting himself or setting up Jensen for a shot or pass to Schroeder. If Schroeder gets the puck, I see him looking to pass to Jensen for a tap-in or a pass back to Hodgson for a one-timer - really see this guy being the playmaker of this line. If Jensen gets it, I expect him to shoot it or drive to the net with it. Could be one heck of a line. Might be Rodin on RW instead of Schroeder.

I see Anthony-Hodgson-Jensen on a line and maybe Rodin-Schroder-Archibald on another line with rodin hodgson jensen as a powerplay line

Anything new on Jensen? Haven't heard much in a while.

Training in Denmark.

big body, cant wait until he fills out that frame in a year or two and becomes a beast.

^ can you make it viewable on a mobile device please?

Likely my last of the summer. So enjoy.

Best yet, thanks for all the videos Kreuz!