b3.

Nicklas Jensen Talk

5,338 posts in this topic

just a quick note, contracts are only eligible to slide when players are under 20 as of Dec 31 of the season in which the contract will slide. That's the reason why andersson and Rodin's did not slide.

just a quick note, contracts are only eligible to slide when players are under 20 as of Dec 31 of the season in which the contract will slide. That's the reason why andersson and Rodin's did not slide.

Thank you!

With the NHL hiatus all those details went foggy on me.

No, they'd do the end of the year as a PTO. It wouldn't affect his deal.

Yeah, that's what I thought... hmm.

They changed this rule? The 9 games used to only include regular season games (see CoHo's 2008-2009 contract slide despite suiting up for 11 playoff games with the Moose that year).

http://www.capgeek.com/player/732

I thought it included playoff games as well?

No, they'd do the end of the year as a PTO. It wouldn't affect his deal.

Perhaps if the below is true, where I'd been thinking AHL games in general were included but the likely are not (or at least weren't in the old CBA). Then they could have to use a separate contract directly with the AHL team, although I don't remember them doing so for Jensen, Hodgson, etc when they came up.

From Capgeek:

HOW DOES AN ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT SLIDE?

If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games, the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.

Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.

CBA reference: Section 9.1 (d) (P. 23-24)

Had a feeling there was the age restriction, just didn't go look it up.

Jensen had no points, a +1 rating and 2 shots on net for AIK in a tight 2-1 OT loss to MODO Hockey. He also finished with 17:34 of ice time.

I just watched the AIK @ Växjö game where AIK was outshot 2 to 1 and still managed to get 1-1 at full time and got the extra point in penalty shootout.

As the team was mostly on the defence I didnt notice Jensen much. He was one of the better AIK players though not getting any points.

I just watched the AIK @ Växjö game where AIK was outshot 2 to 1 and still managed to get 1-1 at full time and got the extra point in penalty shootout.

As the team was mostly on the defence I didnt notice Jensen much. He was one of the better AIK players though not getting any points.

I also just watched the game. Jensen had a pretty uneventful game. He had no points, no shots, an even rating and 16:47 of ice time. I noticed him a couple times buzzing around the net, but that's about it. The frustrating thing was that top line of Jensen-Janmark-Little didn't seem to have a very long leash as their shifts were so short, especially on one of the powerplays. Jensen didn't get the call in the shootout either. Just bizarre when the guy is the team's leading goal scorer and among the top 6 goal scorers in the entire league.

Just can't wait for him to come over to North America in a couple months. Here, even in the AHL, he'll be playing with guys that can actually get him the puck. In that game I just watched it seemed like Jensen never had the puck. Not once.

I'm not sure what the rules on regarding his stint in junior. AIK finishes their regular season on March 5th, and it's safe to say they're not making the SEL playoffs. Oshawa by contrast finishes on March 17th, and are looking like they'll win their division. In saying this, I believe Jensen would be forced to return to his junior club if he's planning to return to NA this season. I could be way off, but even if he is allowed to play for the Wolves, they likely won't make the playoffs. The Wolves wrap up the regular season April 21st.

So depending upon how deep into the OHL playoffs the Generals go, Jensen would be able to join the Wolves following the end of the Generals season. If the Generals were to go as far as their conference final, then the end date would be in late April (27th based on last year). So you see this problem, if Jensen is not released from his junior club, then he won't get any games with the Wolves this season.

Would he have any chance to play with the Canucks to gain some experience and he may or may not be helpful but could be useful in the playoff with his size/skill.......but I think it will likely burn off a year off his contract so it unlikely

Edited by canuck_trevor16

If Jakob Silfverberg's case is anything to go by it will definitely burn a year. Of course, with the new CBA things might have changed but I can't imagine that being something they would adjust. I think that him playing for us will greatly depend on the injury situation at the time. If the roster is healthy for the most part he will just call it a year at the end of the season in Sweden.

By Gillis' own admission, burning off a year off of an entry level deal would be beneficial for us long term.

He'll have less time to make a case to make big money in his 2nd contract. Making it less likely he'll do what Ryan O'reilly/Jamie Benn are doing right now

I don't see any problem with Jensen being in the lineup doing playoff time if one of our forward is struggling or not doing anything use....I mean Detriot did it with Darren Helm who play most of his time in the AHL and brought up on the fourth line.....of course this is different as we have more wingers

By Gillis' own admission, burning off a year off of an entry level deal would be beneficial for us long term.

He'll have less time to make a case to make big money in his 2nd contract. Making it less likely he'll do what Ryan O'reilly/Jamie Benn are doing right now

Whoa ... mind f*ck.

I didn't even think about that prospect.

That's why I'm not the GM though :lol:

Whoa ... mind f*ck.

I didn't even think about that prospect.

That's why I'm not the GM though :lol:

GM's have it all planned out, always thinking ahead. Just like what Gillis was saying over the off-season about how the free agent crop next summer will be much better and he'll be looking more there than at the time.

Perhaps after his season is done in Europe, maybe there's still that 9-game stint he can do with the Canucks?

This is all assuming there may be a few injuries and the Canucks aren't battling for 8th place.

If he does well, it's worth keeping him up in the NHL. If he's invisible, then they can just send him down to junior and let him dominate their post-season. Unless his team will be going to the Memorial Cup, he'll end up back with the Canucks for their deep run.

Perhaps after his season is done in Europe, maybe there's still that 9-game stint he can do with the Canucks?

This is all assuming there may be a few injuries and the Canucks aren't battling for 8th place.

If he does well, it's worth keeping him up in the NHL. If he's invisible, then they can just send him down to junior and let him dominate their post-season. Unless his team will be going to the Memorial Cup, he'll end up back with the Canucks for their deep run.

I think the consensus around here is that he's already burned a year off his ELC by signing in Europe, meaning the 9 game stint would be irrelevant. He would either make our team or wouldn't make our team. If he didn't he'd probably have to go back to junior or take the rest of the year off by refusing to report to Oshawa. AIK finishes their season March 5th, with no chance of post season action.

I think the consensus around here is that he's already burned a year off his ELC by signing in Europe, meaning the 9 game stint would be irrelevant. He would either make our team or wouldn't make our team. If he didn't he'd probably have to go back to junior or take the rest of the year off by refusing to report to Oshawa. AIK finishes their season March 5th, with no chance of post season action.

No, he is eligible to have his contract slide a year as he was still 19 as of Dec 31, 2012. And with the shortened season, it's only 5 games rather than 9 they are allowed to play without burning a year of the contract.

No, he is eligible to have his contract slide a year as he was still 19 as of Dec 31, 2012. And with the shortened season, it's only 5 games rather than 9 they are allowed to play without burning a year of the contract.

yeah, he's still not even 20 yet.

I couldn't find a stream for AIK's game today so I wasn't able to watch Jensen, but it appears I didn't miss much as AIK lost 6-0 to HV71. Jensen fired 8 shots on net and had a -1 rating and 17:07 of ice time.