b3.

Nicklas Jensen Talk

5,338 posts in this topic

how do the PTO's work for players with a pro contract? ive often wondered how that clause works and am much to lazy to go research it :P

Yeah, Jensen already has a contract with the Canucks so I don't know why the Wolves would sign him to a PTO....

Jensen was "promoted" to the 3rd line with Kris Beech and Bjorn Melin today and it paid dividends as he scored a goal and had 5 shots on net for AIK, albeit in a 5-3 loss to Frolunda. He finished with an even rating.

Jensen was "promoted" to the 3rd line with Kris Beech and Bjorn Melin today and it paid dividends as he scored a goal and had 5 shots on net for AIK, albeit in a 5-3 loss to Frolunda. He finished with an even rating.

It's always nice to see a guy benched out of spite to score his first game back.

I think it's his first game back, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Gumballthechewy

It's always nice to see a guy benched out of spite to score his first game back.

I think it's his first game back, correct me if I'm wrong.

he dressed in the other games i think, but only had 1shift per period.

edit: nice to see him score again, looking forward to seeing him in chicago in a few weeks.

Edited by stexx

he dressed in the other games i think, but only had 1shift per period.

edit: nice to see him score again, looking forward to seeing him in chicago in a few weeks.

Ah, ok, but yeah, nice to see him scoring.

Hopefully he can bypass Oshawa altogether and just go straight to the Wolves!

Sounds like he is going straight to the Wolves which is great!

And wtf, I can't believe AIK is now benching him/giving him reduced icetime over this bull. Talk about unprofessional!

For anyone interested, Thomas Drance posted an article about Jensen and his recent troubles with AIK:

FORGET THE RECENT KERFUFFLE, NICKLAS JENSEN'S YEAR WITH AIK IS ALL UPSIDE FOR THE CANUCKS

Appearing on the Team 1040 late last week with Matt Sekeres and Blake Price, Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis was asked a pointed question about Nicklas Jensen's status with his Swedish Elite League club, Stockholm based AIK. You'll recall that Jensen took a non-traditional route for his 19 year old season, choosing to leave the Ontario Hockey League in favour of a tougher professional men's league in Sweden. This season he's adjusted seamlessly and performed extraordinarily well for a nineteen year old skater in the third most difficult professional hockey league in the world. In 46 games this season, he leads AIK in both goals and power-play goals and is the most productive teenager in the Swedish elite League by a wide-margin.

So it seemed odd that - following a coaching change at AIK - Jensen found himself a regular healthy scratch...

I reached out to some Swedish hockey writers and the "trade" explanation wasn't something they'd heard anything about. Looking over Swedish articles (thanks to Google translate), I can't find much discussion about this scenario, though I can find a quote from AIK's new coach questioning Jensen's two-way game and opining that Jensen is handling his string of appearances in the press box "well."

Regardless of what's happened or why it has happened, Gillis was dead on when he said that Jensen's banishment wouldn't "last for too much longer." First of all, AIK's season ends on March 5th and they're unlikely to make the SEL's postseason tournament. Also, just yesterday Jensen found himself back in AIK's lineup and played about 17 minutes while scoring the put away goal in his team's come from behind victory over Frolunda.

As the experiment enters its final week or two, it appears that Nicklas Jensen's season with AIK was a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, Jensen had to deal with some hiccups as a result of playing on a struggling team going through a coaching change. On the other hand, however, he spent a productive season of development against more difficult competition and it looks like he'll be able to join the American Hockey League at least a month (and maybe as much as six weeks depending on how Oshawa does in the OHL postseason) earlier than if he'd spent the year in Major Junior. That's a worthwhile trade off in my view.

Drance has a little more to the article there, with some quotes, so I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you jumped over to their site for a visit, but I also asked him in the comments if he had more legit info on why Jensen could play in the AHL rather than go back to the CHL:

That's a great question and one I wrestled with (and got at a few people more familiar with the AHL than I). Basically the AHL rules allow the following: "Teams may also add signed draft choices provided that their respective junior or college seasons are complete."

Most of the people I spoke with seemed to think that he'd be treated as a college or major jr. player who had completed his season once AIK's season ends.

So a good explanation for why he wouldn't have to go back to play with Oshawa until their season is done, and how he'd be treated as a player already having completed his season (which is why he'd have to ride it out with AIK) and then be allowed to play with the Wolves like he did last year.

How much longer is there in AIK's season anyways?

the SEL season ends March 5

http://www.theprovin...4816/story.html

Gotta wonder if the Canucks might bring him in for the playoffs.

“He could help an NHL team offensively right away,” said Dave Gagner, the Canucks director of player development. “He just has to prove to our coaching staff that he’s capable of doing the little things well and he could be a specialty guy right away. He’s a man offensively and below the top of the circles is where he excels because he’s got good size. He’s strong on the puck and wants to score. He can fend off guys and is really comfortable playing against men because he did it when he was 16. It’s not really intimidating for him at all or a big adjustment. He just has to learn to play a 200-foot game.”

Edited by RunningWild

I don't know much about the business end of hockey but waivers don't apply in the post season do they?

Ya, I'm not sure either. I remember Caucks couldn't bring up Reinprect last post season, I think it had something to do with waivers. Anyone remember? But I don't think Jensen is waivers eligible?

Ya, I'm not sure either. I remember Caucks couldn't bring up Reinprect last post season, I think it had something to do with waivers. Anyone remember? But I don't think Jensen is waivers eligible?

I'm not sure but I think waivers are an age thing, so I think Jensen is good, I was thinking more moving someone to make room for him if need be.

Also is it pronounced Yen-sin, or Jen-sin? I think I remember at the draft they pronounced it Yen-sin.

Players can be claimed on waivers in the post season. It is considered poor form to do so, because the player will not be eligible to play for his new team until the following year (so you could nab a player on a multi-year contract this way). Anyone on a one year or last year of their contract can be called up with little worry about them being claimed on waivers, but other teams would be allowed to claim them just to be a pain.

Jensen would not have to pass waivers to play this season/playoffs in the NHL, as a draft pick, and as someone who has completed his entire season in Europe already, normal transfer rules would not apply. He will however, have to prove he is farther along than everyone else we have in Chicago right now.

As far as comments on the previous page about burning a year of Jensen's ELC in order to give him some AHL experience, Gillis has stated clearly that he prefers players to have a year burned. This is a better situation because they have one less season to strut their stuff before having to sign their second contract, so they will likely be signed for less money.

my guess is after AIK is out then Jensen goes to AHL impresses on the wolves and gets called up after the trade deadline when the team looks to see what exactly they have. Its a pretty good chance that we will see Jensen this year! :towel:

I don't know much about the business end of hockey but waivers don't apply in the post season do they?

I'm not sure but I think waivers are an age thing, so I think Jensen is good, I was thinking more moving someone to make room for him if need be.

Also is it pronounced Yen-sin, or Jen-sin? I think I remember at the draft they pronounced it Yen-sin.

Jensen's not waiver eligible to begin with due to his age, but Reinprecht was an issue due to re-entry waivers - which no longer exist.

The only thing as impressive as his team leading 16 goals, is his 5 game winning goals. He's definitely a difference maker for his team. It's too bad they're such a poor team, or things may have gone differently this season.

Oh well, it will be good for him to come over to the Wolves and learn the defensive side of the game now.

Edited by DeNiro

The only thing as impressive as his team leading 16 goals, is his 5 game winning goals. He's definitely a difference maker for his team. It's too bad they're such a poor team, or things may have gone differently this season.

Oh well, it will be good for him to come over to the Wolves and learn the defensive side of the game now.

Boy what a player we have here.

Not only the shot, not only the hands, but the size and the way he uses his body, he just over powers guys, goes to the net and battles infront without fear or worry, I just love it.

What a special player we have here.