4488 replies to this topic

#1801 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Still waiting for Team1040 to post a link to the interview like they usually do, but I'm curious how the Jensen to the AHL thing works. He's still under the age where he'd have to play in with Oshawa if the Canucks didn't play him based on the OHL/NHL agreement, but perhaps him having played in the SEL and not in North America at all this year allows for the exception? Is it something to do with the clear day rosters like leagues have after their trading deadlines that would prevent the Generals from using him, or is it that the Generals have allowed it, releasing him rather than requesting he play when he returns?

I believe the bolded is the case, yes, although I'm no authority on this kind of stuff. I'm just glad that Gillis intends for Jensen to get some AHL experience with the distinct possibility of cracking the Canucks lineup. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Gillis specifically wants to see what Jensen can do in the NHL as it could ultimately determine what he does at the deadline. If Jensen comes in and immediately becomes a scoring threat, it means not only does Gillis not need to go out and get a scorer but also that at least one piece needs to come out of the lineup, which presents a perfect opportunity to trade a player for an extra draft pick, or picks, for the upcoming deep 2013 draft.

#1802 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Jensen
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian

^ What a sick lineup!

#1803 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I don't know if it has anything to do with it... but the SEL season ends March 5... and Jensen turns 20 on March 6.....

So if I am not mistaken... as of March 6... he can do whatever he wants, because he wasn't playing in the CHL.
Posted Image

#1804 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,932 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Here's a brief writeup from the Province about Jensen and Gillis interview:

http://blogs.vancouv...to-join-wolves/

#1805 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I doubt he comes straight to the Canucks since they'd have to move someone down to make room for him in the roster. There's no guarantee he can perform right away in the NHL. If he does come to the Wolves and impress, I don't see waivers being as much of an issue if they decide to bring him up, however.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1806 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

I don't know if it has anything to do with it... but the SEL season ends March 5... and Jensen turns 20 on March 6.....

So if I am not mistaken... as of March 6... he can do whatever he wants, because he wasn't playing in the CHL.

Well, the cut off is in December of any given season if I remember correctly, not just if they turn 20 during the season.

#1807 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Here's a brief writeup from the Province about Jensen and Gillis interview:

http://blogs.vancouv...to-join-wolves/

Haven't seen the actual audio posted yet by Team1040 so that's a good find. Here's the important part of the article:

“Well, what I think has happened is they were out of the playoffs and wanted to try and trade his rights to get something at their deadline, which we didn’t agree with because we didn’t want to see him traded to another team,” Gillis said. “When his team finishes, we expect him to be over here and playing in Chicago. So we were uncomfortable with that and I think there might be some measure of holding it against him (reduced ice time) but it won’t last too much longer. He’s not playing as much.”

Asked why the Canucks didn’t approve a trade, Gillis replied: “For a number of reasons. We wanted to get him back here to play in the American Hockey League and gain that experience like he did before. He’s certainly capable of playing at that level and excelling so we didn’t want him to go to another team and have him play and miss that opportunity this year. He’s a young guy and we just didn’t feel comfortable with him moving around and then not getting the American Hockey League experience.”

Asked if the Canucks would be against Jensen playing for the big club at some point this season, the GM said: “No, we wouldn’t be at all. In our organization, people earn what they get. Nick has played very well. I think he needs to continue to gain experience at the pro level and he’s moved along quite nicely and this is a minor hiccup in the season for him. But we expect when he gets to Chicago, he will contribute there and, if he continues, he’ll be contributing for us.”

#1808 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Well, the cut off is in December of any given season if I remember correctly, not just if they turn 20 during the season.

Yeah - that's what I thought as well.

But to be honest... Gillis says he can and will go to the AHL after the SEL season is over.......not really a better source out there.
Posted Image

#1809 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

The name is more likely to be coincidence as Jensen's dad is actually Canadian rather than Danish. It's not like their family has been there for generations and he has lots of aunts and uncles also with the Jensen name he's related to.

His dad's family may have originated from that part of Europe, but even then it's like wondering if Will Smith is related to Kate Smith (the famous anthem singer) because they have the same last name and are both American.

I figured it was a pretty common name, but thanks for the background info on him.
Posted Image

#1810 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

But to be honest... Gillis says he can and will go to the AHL after the SEL season is over.......not really a better source out there.

My thinking exactly.

#1811 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Well, I'm sure he has someone working the legalese compared to us unpaid lunks, so unless they're just exploring if it's possible right now then I'm sure he knows better than us.

I figured it was a pretty common name, but thanks for the background info on him.

Mine was hardly a definitive answer, but I doubt they're related.

#1812 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

The name is more likely to be coincidence as Jensen's dad is actually Canadian rather than Danish. It's not like their family has been there for generations and he has lots of aunts and uncles also with the Jensen name he's related to.

His dad's family may have originated from that part of Europe, but even then it's like wondering if Will Smith is related to Kate Smith (the famous anthem singer) because they have the same last name and are both American.

Jensens dad is only a first generation Canadian, has close relatives in Herning (the city of Jensens).

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#1813 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Why does everyone and their mother think that Jensen is 6'3" 186lbs. He's listed as 6'3" 205 lbs per latest training camp and 6'3" 203lbs per AIK's website.

Jensen is finally back in NHL 13 and he's a twig.. -___-

Blue Team

#1814 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

How very sad on AIK's part, they're showing amazing unprofessionalism on their part in handling this situation.

Why does everyone and their mother think that Jensen is 6'3" 186lbs. He's listed as 6'3" 205 lbs per latest training camp and 6'3" 203lbs per AIK's website.

Jensen is finally back in NHL 13 and he's a twig.. -___-

New roster update? Finally! What do you mean he's a twig? Because of his weight?

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 22 February 2013 - 07:03 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#1815 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

How very sad on AIK's part, they're showing amazing unprofessionalism on their part in handling this situation.

New roster update? Finally! What do you mean he's a twig? Because of his weight?

Yeah, guys below 200 get wrecked all the time I find, too light and in the new game they stupidly removed the players capability to edit height and weight for accuracy..

Edited by Hansen 36, 22 February 2013 - 07:53 PM.

Blue Team

#1816 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, guys below 200 get wrecked all the time I find, too light and in the new game they stupidly removed the players capability to edit height and weight for accuracy..

Yeah I know! They locked everything!

Bloody ridiculous...

#1817 Noseforthenet

Noseforthenet

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

Lp

#1818 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I think they will have him playing for the Wolves if they can. If he looks promising, he can join the big club for the playoffs. That way they can call him up without losing any of the other players on the roster.

#1819 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

So MG would blow a year of Jensens' ELC just so he could play 1 month with the Wolves? I sure hope not. Perhaps he thinks Jensen can play on the big club? During a cup run? Big step for a young guy, but maybe. Either way, the Nucks lose a year of his ELC.

This whole "wasting a year of an ELC" thing is so overblown. Teams that manage the cap so well like the Canucks likely don't care too much about this. Gillis even said himself awhile back in an interview that the media and fans care way too much about the cap, moreso than management themselves. The way I see it, with so many young players making impacts early in their careers nowadays and getting huge contract extensions as a result, I'd actually rather burn a year of Jensen's ELC so he doesn't have as much time to improve and rip it up and command a big money extension.

Case in point: Eberle and Hall. They ripped it up for a couple years for the Oilers during their ELC's and look what happened. They got 7 year, $42 million extensions. Well, those could very well turn out to be good contracts but they might not either. Time will tell.

Also, if Gillis feels that a month of AHL time is worth burning a year of Jensen's ELC for, far be it from me to question him. He's the one getting paid big bucks to manage an elite NHL team, not us. Given what Jensen showed during his brief stint with the Wolves last season, who knows? Maybe Gillis' feels a whole month of AHL time before competing to make the Canucks' roster next year would do a world of good. Absolutely worth burning a measly year off that ELC if this is the case.

Or, you know, the Wolves could just sign him to a PTO and save the whole contract slide issue for us like they've done numerous times before?

Edited by Millerdraft, 23 February 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1820 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

how do the PTO's work for players with a pro contract? ive often wondered how that clause works and am much to lazy to go research it :P

#1821 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

how do the PTO's work for players with a pro contract? ive often wondered how that clause works and am much to lazy to go research it :P

Yeah, Jensen already has a contract with the Canucks so I don't know why the Wolves would sign him to a PTO....

#1822 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Jensen was "promoted" to the 3rd line with Kris Beech and Bjorn Melin today and it paid dividends as he scored a goal and had 5 shots on net for AIK, albeit in a 5-3 loss to Frolunda. He finished with an even rating.

#1823 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Jensen was "promoted" to the 3rd line with Kris Beech and Bjorn Melin today and it paid dividends as he scored a goal and had 5 shots on net for AIK, albeit in a 5-3 loss to Frolunda. He finished with an even rating.

It's always nice to see a guy benched out of spite to score his first game back.

I think it's his first game back, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 24 February 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#1824 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

It's always nice to see a guy benched out of spite to score his first game back.

I think it's his first game back, correct me if I'm wrong.

he dressed in the other games i think, but only had 1shift per period.

edit: nice to see him score again, looking forward to seeing him in chicago in a few weeks.

Edited by stexx, 24 February 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#1825 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

he dressed in the other games i think, but only had 1shift per period.

edit: nice to see him score again, looking forward to seeing him in chicago in a few weeks.

Ah, ok, but yeah, nice to see him scoring.

#1826 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hopefully he can bypass Oshawa altogether and just go straight to the Wolves!
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#1827 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Sounds like he is going straight to the Wolves which is great!

And wtf, I can't believe AIK is now benching him/giving him reduced icetime over this bull. Talk about unprofessional!

#1828 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

For anyone interested, Thomas Drance posted an article about Jensen and his recent troubles with AIK:

FORGET THE RECENT KERFUFFLE, NICKLAS JENSEN'S YEAR WITH AIK IS ALL UPSIDE FOR THE CANUCKS

Appearing on the Team 1040 late last week with Matt Sekeres and Blake Price, Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis was asked a pointed question about Nicklas Jensen's status with his Swedish Elite League club, Stockholm based AIK. You'll recall that Jensen took a non-traditional route for his 19 year old season, choosing to leave the Ontario Hockey League in favour of a tougher professional men's league in Sweden. This season he's adjusted seamlessly and performed extraordinarily well for a nineteen year old skater in the third most difficult professional hockey league in the world. In 46 games this season, he leads AIK in both goals and power-play goals and is the most productive teenager in the Swedish elite League by a wide-margin.

So it seemed odd that - following a coaching change at AIK - Jensen found himself a regular healthy scratch...

I reached out to some Swedish hockey writers and the "trade" explanation wasn't something they'd heard anything about. Looking over Swedish articles (thanks to Google translate), I can't find much discussion about this scenario, though I can find a quote from AIK's new coach questioning Jensen's two-way game and opining that Jensen is handling his string of appearances in the press box "well."
Regardless of what's happened or why it has happened, Gillis was dead on when he said that Jensen's banishment wouldn't "last for too much longer." First of all, AIK's season ends on March 5th and they're unlikely to make the SEL's postseason tournament. Also, just yesterday Jensen found himself back in AIK's lineup and played about 17 minutes while scoring the put away goal in his team's come from behind victory over Frolunda.

As the experiment enters its final week or two, it appears that Nicklas Jensen's season with AIK was a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, Jensen had to deal with some hiccups as a result of playing on a struggling team going through a coaching change. On the other hand, however, he spent a productive season of development against more difficult competition and it looks like he'll be able to join the American Hockey League at least a month (and maybe as much as six weeks depending on how Oshawa does in the OHL postseason) earlier than if he'd spent the year in Major Junior. That's a worthwhile trade off in my view.

Drance has a little more to the article there, with some quotes, so I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you jumped over to their site for a visit, but I also asked him in the comments if he had more legit info on why Jensen could play in the AHL rather than go back to the CHL:

That's a great question and one I wrestled with (and got at a few people more familiar with the AHL than I). Basically the AHL rules allow the following: "Teams may also add signed draft choices provided that their respective junior or college seasons are complete."

Most of the people I spoke with seemed to think that he'd be treated as a college or major jr. player who had completed his season once AIK's season ends.

So a good explanation for why he wouldn't have to go back to play with Oshawa until their season is done, and how he'd be treated as a player already having completed his season (which is why he'd have to ride it out with AIK) and then be allowed to play with the Wolves like he did last year.

#1829 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

How much longer is there in AIK's season anyways?

zackass.png

#1830 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

How much longer is there in AIK's season anyways?

the SEL season ends March 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.