#1831 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

http://www.theprovin...4816/story.html

Gotta wonder if the Canucks might bring him in for the playoffs.

“He could help an NHL team offensively right away,” said Dave Gagner, the Canucks director of player development. “He just has to prove to our coaching staff that he’s capable of doing the little things well and he could be a specialty guy right away. He’s a man offensively and below the top of the circles is where he excels because he’s got good size. He’s strong on the puck and wants to score. He can fend off guys and is really comfortable playing against men because he did it when he was 16. It’s not really intimidating for him at all or a big adjustment. He just has to learn to play a 200-foot game.”

Edited by RunningWild, 25 February 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#1832 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

http://www.theprovin...4816/story.html

Gotta wonder if the Canucks might bring him in for the playoffs.

I don't know much about the business end of hockey but waivers don't apply in the post season do they?

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#1833 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

I don't know much about the business end of hockey but waivers don't apply in the post season do they?

Ya, I'm not sure either. I remember Caucks couldn't bring up Reinprect last post season, I think it had something to do with waivers. Anyone remember? But I don't think Jensen is waivers eligible?

#1834 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ya, I'm not sure either. I remember Caucks couldn't bring up Reinprect last post season, I think it had something to do with waivers. Anyone remember? But I don't think Jensen is waivers eligible?

I'm not sure but I think waivers are an age thing, so I think Jensen is good, I was thinking more moving someone to make room for him if need be.

Also is it pronounced Yen-sin, or Jen-sin? I think I remember at the draft they pronounced it Yen-sin.

#1835 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Players can be claimed on waivers in the post season. It is considered poor form to do so, because the player will not be eligible to play for his new team until the following year (so you could nab a player on a multi-year contract this way). Anyone on a one year or last year of their contract can be called up with little worry about them being claimed on waivers, but other teams would be allowed to claim them just to be a pain.

Jensen would not have to pass waivers to play this season/playoffs in the NHL, as a draft pick, and as someone who has completed his entire season in Europe already, normal transfer rules would not apply. He will however, have to prove he is farther along than everyone else we have in Chicago right now.

As far as comments on the previous page about burning a year of Jensen's ELC in order to give him some AHL experience, Gillis has stated clearly that he prefers players to have a year burned. This is a better situation because they have one less season to strut their stuff before having to sign their second contract, so they will likely be signed for less money.
Posted Image

#1836 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Rockin, thank you ^^

#1837 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

my guess is after AIK is out then Jensen goes to AHL impresses on the wolves and gets called up after the trade deadline when the team looks to see what exactly they have. Its a pretty good chance that we will see Jensen this year! :towel:

#1838 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

I'm not sure but I think waivers are an age thing, so I think Jensen is good, I was thinking more moving someone to make room for him if need be.

Also is it pronounced Yen-sin, or Jen-sin? I think I remember at the draft they pronounced it Yen-sin.

Jensen's not waiver eligible to begin with due to his age, but Reinprecht was an issue due to re-entry waivers - which no longer exist.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1839 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,634 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

The only thing as impressive as his team leading 16 goals, is his 5 game winning goals. He's definitely a difference maker for his team. It's too bad they're such a poor team, or things may have gone differently this season.

Oh well, it will be good for him to come over to the Wolves and learn the defensive side of the game now.

Edited by DeNiro, 26 February 2013 - 01:29 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1840 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMlz7WtSqFw&list=UUUa62f0CIYXupbv1RVBDGYQ

The only thing as impressive as his team leading 16 goals, is his 5 game winning goals. He's definitely a difference maker for his team. It's too bad they're such a poor team, or things may have gone differently this season.

Oh well, it will be good for him to come over to the Wolves and learn the defensive side of the game now.

Boy what a player we have here.

Not only the shot, not only the hands, but the size and the way he uses his body, he just over powers guys, goes to the net and battles infront without fear or worry, I just love it.

What a special player we have here.

zackass.png

#1841 Ihatetomatoes

Ihatetomatoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

Plays with attitude....love it. What a shot!
Its hard to care when you don't

#1842 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

looks like he could take keslers spot on the pp making the second pp better as well with kesler

#1843 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,511 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Once again, it's the lack of a 2-way game that will cause him to stay in the A for a few years.
Posted Image

#1844 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

It's supposed to be Yen-sin, but he said in an interview he doesn't mind if people pronounce the J.

#1845 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

looks like he could take keslers spot on the pp making the second pp better as well with kesler

I haven't seen as much from him in tip in/deflection situations but he's certainly going to be dangerous anywhere below the hashmarks for rebounds and quick snipes.

#1846 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,634 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Once again, it's the lack of a 2-way game that will cause him to stay in the A for a few years.

Not every player has to have a two-way game. That's a mistake that this team is making. We already have enough forwards that are good in their own zone (grinders), what we need is a player that knows how to finish in the offensive zone.

Can we not just have a player that's a pure goal scorer and that's it? I mean Jensen has a defensive game, it just needs some work. Like most young players coming into the league. He can learn that as he goes though.

His offensive game already looks good enough to produce in the NHL. And with the lack of finish we have on the second line, we could use a player like him. I say give him some time in the AHL this season, and if he excels, bring him up before the playoffs and play him with Kesler and Booth (our two best defensive forwards).

Posted Image

#1847 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Not every player has to have a two-way game. That's a mistake that this team is making. We already have enough forwards that are good in their own zone (grinders), what we need is a player that knows how to finish in the offensive zone.

Can we not just have a player that's a pure goal scorer and that's it? I mean Jensen has a defensive game, it just needs some work. Like most young players coming into the league. He can learn that as he goes though.

His offensive game already looks good enough to produce in the NHL. And with the lack of finish we have on the second line, we could use a player like him. I say give him some time in the AHL this season, and if he excels, bring him up before the playoffs and play him with Kesler and Booth (our two best defensive forwards).

I'd say Burrows is better defensively then Booth but I see what you're getting at. I'd like to see

22-33-14
7-17-9
21-45-Jensen (what # would he wear?)
20-40-36

But then you've gotta waive Patti or Weise to make room and the others just your spare. Also then people will definitely complain about a soft team lol. I'd like to see what he could do with the twins to, his style of play seems like it would suit them very well.

#1848 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I'd say Burrows is better defensively then Booth but I see what you're getting at. I'd like to see

22-33-14
7-17-9
20-40-36

But then you've gotta waive Patti or Weise to make room and the others just your spare. Also then people will definitely complain about a soft team lol. I'd like to see what he could do with the twins to, his style of play seems like it would suit them very well.

As I posted a year ago, he will wear #46 until he makes the team officially, and then I want him to wear #71. :bigblush:

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#1849 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,634 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

22-33-14
7-17-9
20-40-36

Well I think I read that Booth and Kesler have the highest percentage on our team in puck possession. But yea I agree Burrows and Kesler are our best defensive forwards.

As for becoming softer, it's not like Volpatti is adding a whole lot of toughness from the press box. And I don't think too many players are that afraid of Weise. Sending Volpatti to the Wolves would be the best move. I don't think he would have trouble clearing waivers.

And as of now, Jensen would be our biggest forward in the top 9 with Kassian being put on the fourth. He's young, but he's a strong kid and doesn't get pushed around. I think if anything it would make us harder to play against. He's not afraid to go to the front of the net, and can battle along the boards. He'd be a good alternative if Raymond shows that he can't find another gear in the playoffs.

Posted Image

#1850 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well I think I read that Booth and Kesler have the highest percentage on our team in puck possession. But yea I agree Burrows and Kesler are our best defensive forwards.

As for becoming softer, it's not like Volpatti is adding a whole lot of toughness from the press box. And I don't think too many players are that afraid of Weise. Sending Volpatti to the Wolves would be the best move. I don't think he would have trouble clearing waivers.

And as of now, Jensen would be our biggest forward in the top 9 with Kassian being put on the fourth. He's young, but he's a strong kid and doesn't get pushed around. I think if anything it would make us harder to play against. He's not afraid to go to the front of the net, and can battle along the boards. He'd be a good alternative if Raymond shows that he can't find another gear in the playoffs.

Well they're both puck hogs so not to suprising lol. Personally I'd rather keep Patti up as he plays his role more efficiently, and is undisputedly the better fighter of the 2. Patti Lappy Kassian could make a pretty effective 4th line. Weise is more versatile but still not ever very effective. We'll have to see how it goes I'd hope Jensen has to go to the wolves and at least earn his way up here though. This team really does have to many wingers lol

Edited by WonderTwinPowers, 26 February 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#1851 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Put together a high lite package of any player, and he will look good. That being said, if he wants to play in the NHL, he needs to work on his 2 way play. You know what happens if you don't? Look at Cody Hodgson and the state of his team. Considered to be an awful defensive player by Sabres fans.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#1852 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Put together a high lite package of any player, and he will look good. That being said, if he wants to play in the NHL, he needs to work on his 2 way play. You know what happens if you don't? Look at Cody Hodgson and the state of his team. Considered to be an awful defensive player by Sabres fans.

That's more important in a center, particularly one we had in a 3rd line role behind Kes and Hank. It's not as much of an issue for Buffalo if they keep him on the 1st line, and it'd be less of an issue for us with Jensen if he's playing top 6 minutes. Having said that, he's been fine in the past in his two way play but I'd like to see more recent action to be able to evaluate it myself.

#1853 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Totally agree with this sentiment. Too many players these days get their offensive game completely neutered by coaches who force them to become 200 foot players. In fact, I believe that's exactly what happened to Alex Ovechkin, who just seems to be getting HIS game back now. Coaches and organizations as a whole are so enamored by the "complete player" that they forget the offensive dynamo is going to be more valuable to their club than the player who is responsible in his own zone but is producing half the goals.

If Jensen shows signs of being a legitimate sniper, LEAVE HIM BE!! The team has more than enough capable two way personnel. What they really need is a player, besides the Sedins, who can break a game open. Please, if Jensen is that player, let him be that player.

#1854 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,634 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yea, but when you consider he was a rookie in the third best league in the world, it's pretty impressive. He outscored all other rookies.

If he can perform at the SEL level, it's more than likely he can perform at the AHL level.

Posted Image

#1855 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

What's the 2nd best league in the world? KHL?
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#1856 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,634 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

What's the 2nd best league in the world? KHL?

Correct

Posted Image

#1857 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Totally agree with this sentiment. Too many players these days get their offensive game completely neutered by coaches who force them to become 200 foot players. In fact, I believe that's exactly what happened to Alex Ovechkin, who just seems to be getting HIS game back now. Coaches and organizations as a whole are so enamored by the "complete player" that they forget the offensive dynamo is going to be more valuable to their club than the player who is responsible in his own zone but is producing half the goals.

If Jensen shows signs of being a legitimate sniper, LEAVE HIM BE!! The team has more than enough capable two way personnel. What they really need is a player, besides the Sedins, who can break a game open. Please, if Jensen is that player, let him be that player.

Yeah I agree, even Schroeder looks like he's a more defensive player then he is offensive now and that's completely opposite from when he got drafted, not saying it's a bad thing for him though.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1858 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Not every player has to have a two-way game.

I agree with this, some players are only on this earth to score goals and I'm ok with that. Every team needs a guy like that if you ask me.

#1859 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

2:10 is just AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the kind of player we need in our top 6. A PURE SNIPER/ GOAL SCORER

I also love how it seems his go-to move is fake backhand, go fore-hand, and Kassian's is fake fore-hand, go backhand!!
The 2 of them will definately cause havoc for other teams in the future I bet!
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#1860 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

I am also excited about Jensen, and agree with the general concensus, but I wonder if AV can live with a pure offensive player that is a rookie? Just a question. Saying that, IF Jensen came up and could immediately play top 6, it sure would open up some more possibilities for MG. Wouldn't it be something if MG hit the home run. Jensen turned out and he got a lottery pick for one of the goalies.

You gottta hope!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.