3935 replies to this topic

#211 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

NONE. The Canucks just assign the prospects a number.

Jensen wears #17. So he'll have to change his number at some point anyways. No one knows what number he'll don for the Canucks in the future.

#71 :emot-parrot: :frantic:

#212 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:59 AM

NVM

Edited by DeNiro, 11 September 2011 - 12:09 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#213 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

Here's a question about Jensen that's been bugging me today:

Does he pronounce his name in the Danish fashion (with the "J" pronounced as a y/j) or in the Canadian (North American) fashion (with the "J" pronounced as a )?

ie: Danish would have the "J" pronounced like an English "Y" (think Jannik Hansen), so it would sound like "Yensen". English has the "J" sound like a soft "G" (think "general"), which is commonly written (in phonetics) as a .

Jensen's father, Dan Jensen, is Canadian born (grew-up in Richmond Hill, Ont.) and moved to Denmark as an adult (where he enjoyed a 15-year hockey career and even became part of the Danish National Team). Not sure how Danish his heritage is (generally, he'd need to be only 1-2 generations removed from a Danish-born family member to qualify for citizenship and the National Team--although I'm sure the Danes would bend the rules). His name is most likely Danish (or possibly Norwegian) in origin but he could be many generations removed from any real Danish ancestry.

It's not a big deal but I'm always curious to know how the Canucks' players actually pronounce their names. I'd been assuming Jensen used the Danish pronunciation but, being Danish myself, I know that many Danes today like the idea of using nontraditional names and pronunciations, with it even fashionable (in some circles) to use more English-sounding versions.

I know that on Draft day, Lawrence Gilman used the North American pronunciation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ujuj4Gejsw

However, the "J" sound in one of the most common mispronunciations of Danish words/names by North Americans.

Is the way Gilman said "Jensen" the way Jensen (and his family) actually pronounce their name? Anyone know for sure?

#214 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

When in North America it's Jensen.

When in Europe it's Yensen.

Jensen sounds better anyways. :lol:

Posted Image

#215 Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:42 PM

Or it's the same everywhere, as it should be.
EMBRACE THE HATE

#216 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

Or it's the same everywhere, as it should be.

Well if you don't speak Danish, it sounds dumb to try and sound Danish IMO.

Alot of European players have their names pronounced more English when they come over here. If you want to pronounce players names like they are pronounced in their home countries, then go for it. People may look at you weird though.

Posted Image

#217 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

Well if you don't speak Danish, it sounds dumb to try and sound Danish IMO.

Alot of European players have their names pronounced more English when they come over here. If you want to pronounce players names like they are pronounced in their home countries, then go for it. People may look at you weird though.

Well just like Hansen, its pronounced Yannik, not Jannik. It's kinda dumb to think that you need to anglicize their names when they express no desire for it to be.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#218 one night

one night

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:22 PM

So than, why do you have 2 different versions of Roy in Canada? Last time I looked we are still in North America.

#219 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

So than, why do you have 2 different versions of Roy in Canada? Last time I looked we are still in North America.

Because Canada is a bilingual country...

Jensen would still be Jensen in French. And depending on what part of Canada Roy comes from, it will be Roy or "Rhah" and we'll stick with either one. Not two.

For example, they say Carey Price in MTL, not "Prix." So a name is pronounced one way all across Canada depending on where they are from and how it is originally pronounced. Same with Jordan Schroeder - American version is Schraeder, so we call him Schraeder, not Schroeder.

So really,even if there are two pronunciation for one name, everyone is referred to by only one of the two, not both.

So you have only one pronounciation when you are in NA.

Edited by Dasein, 11 September 2011 - 06:39 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#220 srsface

srsface

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

Sakic said his name is actually pronounced Sakeech.

Jensen probably just says Jensen. :P

#221 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

The commentators are saying Yensen. So does that settle it?

Posted Image

#222 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

In Denmark you would say Yensen, as he is Danish I would say so.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#223 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,543 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

The commentators are saying Yensen. So does that settle it?

yup. though they have been wrong before, i don't think this is one of those times.

#224 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:02 AM

In some of the pro leagues, the commentators will travel with the team. That gives the players the chance to tell them how their name should be pronounced. It only becomes an issue on national broadcasts when someone else is calling it that differences and difficulties in pronouncing a players name occurs. Don Cherry and Bieksa/Bieska is one. I've also heard different BBC Match of the Day announcers call the same player different ways.

#225 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

Jensen played well lastnight. He made some pretty nice passes out there. Hopefully he keeps it up

#226 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,413 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

Jensen looked really good with the puck. Has some pretty nice dangles and pin-point pass on the backhand.

Subbancopy.jpg

#227 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Yes, he looked very comfortable from what I saw, and he looked like he had an eye for offence.

Posted Image

#228 Rollieo Del Fuego

Rollieo Del Fuego

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

I thought he had a solid game, nifty moves and passes. Nik overworked the puck at times but the wheels and handy work made up for it.
Posted Image

#229 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:07 PM

Got some real skill there and could really handle the puck. Not afraid to go into the corners and dig for the puck. Would obviously like to see him be more physical but hopefully that comes with time and coaching.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#230 JoGuitar

JoGuitar

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

I think he's trying too hard to be a set-up guy in this tourney. He's had some opportunities to take it hard to the net and been looking pass the whole way. Hope he plays this morning and shows some of that goal scoring instinct.
Posted Image

#231 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

From Jensen's blog on the homepage:

Question: How do you pronounce your last name?
Itís pronounced Yensen in Danish but I find it weird when the Canadians say Yensen so Jensenís fine.

So basically we were all right, can be pronounced any way

Posted Image

#232 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

From Jensen's blog on the homepage:

Question: How do you pronounce your last name?
It's pronounced Yensen in Danish but I find it weird when the Canadians say Yensen so Jensen's fine.

So basically we were all right, can be pronounced any way

That's exactly what I said.

Even he thinks English people sound stupid when they try and pronounce it the Danish way.

Posted Image

#233 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:40 PM

Young Jensen takes things one day at a time

PENTICTON ó The thought almost makes Nicklas Jensenís head spin.Starting on Saturday at Rogers Arena heíll be skating alongside a couple of Art Ross winners, one also a Hart winner the other a Ted Lindsay winner.

And an Olympic gold-medal goalie.

As well as the team that won the Presidentís Trophy and came within a game of winning the Stanley Cup.

Just think how overwhelming it would be if a Selke winner was able to make it to camp, too.

ďItís pretty hard to imagine, Iím kind of speechless when you ask me about that,Ē the 18-year-old Jensen said Thursday after the Canucks-hosted Young Stars tournament ended. ďObviously thatís been my dream since I was a little kid, to play in the NHL, and now Iím finally going to be on the ice with some big, big names.

ďItís kind of weird to be talking about playing in the NHL right now.

ďItís going to be huge and Iím really looking forward to it.Ē

There were some pleasant surprises at the Young Stars tournament: Power forward Darren Archibald might be a force in the NHL some day; defenceman Frankie Corrado has some great wheels; goalie Karel St. Laurent came seemingly out of nowhere (the Surrey Eagles, actually); winger Anton Rodin had flashes of brilliance; defenceman Adam Polasek was solid at both ends of the rink.

But itís always the current yearís first-round pick that all eyes fall on and Jensen didnít disappoint.

ďJensen looked extremely good, very strong, good skater, good hands,Ē said assistant GM Laurence Gilman.

The Dane knows heíll be returning to Oshawa in the OHL, which in a way is a tremendous advantage in that it affords him the opportunity to go out and work his butt off and enjoy the experience without the pressure of trying to make the big club.

Heís got the one-day-at-a-time down pat ó they seem to teach that at the peewee level these days ó but itís pretty hard for his mind not drift to Tuesday, when heíll be suiting up with a Canucks crest on his chest for the first time against bona fide NHLers.

ďYou canít look too much ahead, it would be too much, so just focus on the day youíre having and do your best every day, showing what youíve got,Ē he said.

ďIím not going to be disappointed if I donít make the Vancouver team, but Iím going to go out there with the mindset that I could make the team.Ē

Craig MacTavish, behind the Canucks bench for the Young Stars tournament, thinks the Canucks got a bargain at No. 29 in the June draft.

ďYouíve got to be happy with him and that draft choice, for sure,Ē MacTavish said. ďHeís got a high skill level and heís strong on the puck, which is important.Ē

NOTES: Several skill players at Young Stars should benefit from playing with NHL linemates and defence partners, namely Yann Sauve, Kevin Connauton, Bill Sweatt and Jordan Schroeder. None exactly set the world on fire in Penticton. ďWhen young players like this get to skate with bona fide NHL players, theyíre going to get a far greater opportunity to show how skilled they are,Ē Gilman said.

twitter.com/gmacsports

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1Y5T2QkyC

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#234 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

With all the debate recently on how to pronounce the guy's name, that title should read 'Joung Yensen'... haha.

Thanks for posting!
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#235 DarkGhost

DarkGhost

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:31 AM

^ Jensen said in his blog he doesn't want canadiens saying "yensen" because it's weird.

So "Jensen" is what everyone should call him
Canucks 2010/2011 Playoff Run facebook page now up!

http://www.facebook....6645799?sk=wall

"Are you a forum? Cause there's a troll in my pants!"

#236 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

^ Jensen said in his blog he doesn't want canadiens saying "yensen" because it's weird.

So "Jensen" is what everyone should call him

I, as a Danish-Canadian, always pronounce Scandinavian names in the Scandinavian way, the same with any other languages, if I don't know how to pronounce it, then I'll find out. So I'm just sticking with "Yensen".

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#237 surfer53

surfer53

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:40 PM

It wasn't just his (some might say) fluky goal last night or his 2 points. Nicklas Jensen, at 18, has what Hodgson and Schroeder have struggled with - NHL size and skating ability combined. He also knows where to be and understands the North American game. I know it's early and he's a winger, but after one game, if anyone is going to be around in Ryan Kesler's absence, it should be someone who can handle himself physically as well as all the other intangibles. Certainly, Cody or Jordan could step up at some point and claim the job, but based on one game and Jensen's physical attributes, he has to be the frontrunner to make this team right now.

At any rate, 10-15 games should be worth a try and if it doesn't work, the Nucks can always send him down. I'd like to see Cody Hodgson on the 2nd line as well, but I still think he needs to take skating lessons from Geoff Sanderson, another guy who had skating problems early in his career and worked on it until he was as fast as anyone. Size is still very much a part of the NHL game, as the rules don't seem to have helped many speedsters to any great degree (unless they have a set up man), and while Jensen might need to visit a few more greasy all you can eat buffets in town (I can suggest a few), he still seems to be strong enough to play at this level, at least on a temporary basis until Kesler gets back.

Certainly, we'll need more games to see if all this holds up, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

#238 iE.

iE.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

i stopped reading after you called his goal fluky.

Posted Image

I think Luongo will be traded to Ottawa for 5th round pick + cash considerations, before the trade dealine.

Can't be surprised. Skill wise Luongo is debatably the least talented goalie in the NHL. He should be playing in a lower division somewhere in Europe (div. II or III).

It's a shame that the Twins will never have an elite winger to play with because we've spent that money on a no-win goalie.

luongo will have played his way back to florida by the time the christmas break rolls around.

This is why we can't have nice things...

#239 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

It seems logical that a centre would replace Kesler in his absence, no?

#240 surfer53

surfer53

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

i stopped reading after you called his goal fluky.

Do you know what brackets are used for? It's called playing devil's advocate. I don't personally believe that, but I was giving creedence to another opinion. But - point taken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.