The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

Hi.

You can't sell more than the inventory you provide. They sold out. As in they sold every last unit. As in they weren't able to sell 600k because they didn't have 600k units.

I'm aware of the companies losses. The first in 30 years.

This happened while the wii u wasn't out, I don't see the correlation?

I own an Xbox. I'm not even arguing for nintendos sake, rather common sense.

They sold out of Wiis at 600k as well. For months most places didn't have any in stock, I remember people saying it was near impossible to find.

Right now, my local Future Shop has a full shelf of Wii U, and from what I've heard, many other stores still have them in stock. Some people have to look around, but most are successful in finding one. Nintendo saying that retailers are completely out of stock is a PR move, as there is most certainly Wii U available.

IMO and many others, the Wii was gimmicky and the novelty wore off quickly (I have 3 friends who bought it, within 6 months they were all collecting dust), and I know for a fact none of them will be getting a Wii U. Many others feel the same way.

What I said still stands, the Wii U will have to sell at a better pace from now until March then the original Wii did, and that I don't see that happening.

As for the losses, I never said it had anything to do with the Wii U, it has to do with the company.

I'm not saying they are doomed to fail, but they are most certainly no longer the company they used to be.

^^^

"Selling out" is most certainly a PR move, and has become common in the gaming industry.

Nintendo knows how many units to make so that they will just come short of meeting demand. The fact that they released a full 1/3 less than they did the original Wii shows they expected significantly less demand for the U.

Like I mentioned earlier, the demand for Wii only grew as untouched markets for gaming (middle-aged to elderly) realized what it could do. I don't see that happening for the U, as there is nothing innovative being offered that will appeal much to non-gamers.

^^^

"Selling out" is most certainly a PR move, and has become common in the gaming industry.

Nintendo knows how many units to make so that they will just come short of meeting demand. The fact that they released a full 1/3 less than they did the original Wii shows they expected significantly less demand for the U.

Like I mentioned earlier, the demand for Wii only grew as untouched markets for gaming (middle-aged to elderly) realized what it could do. I don't see that happening for the U, as there is nothing innovative being offered that will appeal much to non-gamers.

or their production factory had a massive fire and they lost a number of units and were forced to reduce the number of units they could release...

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=187506

then again, as the old adage goes:

haters-gonna-hate-32402-1270523864-286.jpg

the wii u web browser is very fast actually.

http://www.nowgamer...._light_dev.html

Moreover, this guy pretty much sums up my thoughts on the console.

Nintendo seems to be having an identity crisis here. They just can't seem to figure out if they are going to appeal to the causal or to the hardcore. The gamepad gimmick just doesn't cut it for the casual in my opinion and there are not enough third-party games to cater to the hardcore.

Game budgets are getting ever more expensive for the high-end consoles that Nintendo is not going to keep up with development cost to churn out first-party AAA titles one after another. Eventually they'll have to rely on third-party developers to shoulder the burden, but I just can't see any incentive for the budget-tight publishers to take such a risk. There is a reason why Rockstar is cautious about making games for the Wii U. They have a reputation to uphold and their games are very, very expensive to make. For example, it cost them 80-100 million to make Red Dead Redemption which makes it one of the most expensive games ever made, and they just refuse to port it to PC because they claim it's not finacially viable.

yeah the wii u has a cpu 1.2 GHz. but its a newer technology that is designed to use less power. Developers will have to get used to the new tech.

Why you can't read too much into the Wii U's "slow" clock speed

Comparing raw numbers just doesn't work when measuring consoles' relative power.

by Kyle Orland - Nov 29 2012, 3:30pm PST

wiiuinternal.jpeg

An image from a Nintendo teardown shows the heart of the Wii U.

Nintendo

Remember the days when your idiot friends would argue with you in the schoolyard about how "blast processing" made the Sega Genesis a better system than the Super Nintendo? Or how the Nintendo 64 was twice as good as the Sony PlayStation because it had twice as many "bits"? Or how the Wii's processor was no better than "two GameCubes stuck together"? Here in our new, enlightened age, I thought we had left such context-free numbers games behind like so many other childish arguments.\

But no, in 2012 people are apparently still obsessing over how a single spec number makes one console wholly better or worse than another. Today's bit of myopic number-crunching is based on the findings ofWii hacker (and now purported Wii U hacker) Hector Martin, who last night tweeted claims that he had discovered the previously unknown clock speeds for the Wii U's tri-core PowerPC 750 processor (about 1.24GHz) and the AMD Radeon-based GPU (about 550MHz).

The Wii U's CPU clock speed number is indeed lower than the Xbox 360's 3.2GHz clock (although the 360's gets halved to a functional 1.6GHz when multithreading) or the PS3's 4GHz clock. The GPU clock speeds are more comparable across the PS3, the Xbox 360, and the Wii U. Still, plenty of reporters jumped on that fact as undeniable evidence that the Wii U hardware is actually inferior to that of consoles that came out years ago.

"For the most part, this means that the Wii U is under-powered compared to the seven-year-old Xbox 360 and the six-year-old PS3," VentureBeat wrote of the clock speed finding (with a few caveats). "One would have at least hoped for tech that surpassed current consoles, even if only by a small margin," a Forbes writer declared. "I honestly can’t believe what I’m reading here," a GamingBolt writer hyperventilated. Discussions on countless message boards and online forums are even more hyperbolic concerning the importance of the clock speed comparison.

Of course, comparing two consoles with vastly different architectures and internal chips is not nearly as simple as just seeing which one has the higher clock speed. Things like the number of computer instructions per clock cycle, the bandwidth of the RAM bus, and the overall efficiency of the architecture are at least as important as the raw clock speed at which a processor runs.

So how does the Wii U measure up when all that is taken into account? It's a bit unclear. In further tweets, Martin suggests that comparing the Wii U to older HD systems is like comparing a Pentium 4 to a Pentium 3. While the Pentium 4 was capable of much higher clock speeds than its predecessor, the Pentium 3 was much more efficient when running at the same clock speed.

Similarly, the Wii U's support for out-of-order execution and its shorter pipeline lets it operate more efficiently, doing more per clock cycle than systems like the PS3 and Xbox 360, Martin says. Then again, Martin also points to a lack of hardware threading and "weak SIMD" on the Wii U that hurt that relative clock-to-clock performance.

Rather than comparing numbers, though, it's sometimes better to just see how two systems handle the processing required for the same game. On that score, my basic tests of the console using a bunch of Wii U ports found them to be graphically indistinguishable from the PS3 and Xbox 360 games they were based on, with comparable fidelity and smoothness. More detailed examinations of the Wii U's launch ports found graphical performance that was comparable to that of other systems, though not really improved over the previous versions. Those examinations suggest that the Wii U's relatively beefy (for a console) 1GB of game RAM and powerful graphics processor are being held back by a relatively weak CPU and slow RAM bus, creating a system that is basically the processing equal of the PS3 and Xbox 360, thus far.

Of course, these are launch-day ports of games originally designed for other systems, so rushed developers may not have had the time to devote to substantially tuning and improving the performance for the Wii U hardware. In general, graphical fidelity and observable performance of a system's games only improves as the system gets older and developers get a better handle of how to best tailor their games to its specific hardware.

Still, it doesn't speak well of the Wii U's processing power that we have yet to see a game that really performs markedly better than anything we've seen on other current consoles. If the system can't manage that feat, it risks being quickly overshadowed by much more powerful hardware expected from Sony and Microsoft in the next year or so.

Regardless, one thing is clear in all of this: those pointing to clock speed as the end-all, be-all proof that the Wii U is not powerful enough are not considering the whole picture. As Martin himself tweeted, "So yes, the Wii U CPU is nothing to write home about, but don't compare it clock per clock with a 360 and claim it's much worse. It isn't."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/why-you-cant-read-too-much-into-the-wii-us-slow-clock-speed/

no, it's better, we just don't know by how much yet, because there are no games maxing it out to compare against. if the launch titles are on par (or in some cases, better) than last gen, it only going to get better as devs get used to the system.

Last Saturday and I went Christmas shopping and decided to pop in at EB Games (Winnipeg). Not only did they have Wii U consoles for sale, but they had 20 available. I started chatting with the sales girl to pass time, and she asked if I would like to buy a Wii U. When I said no, she said, "Please buy one. We have had 20 sitting here since Wednesday and nobody has bought one yet."

I understand that not all markets are the same, but when the Wii came out, it took forever to find one. Not a good sign for Nintendo at all.

Last Saturday and I went Christmas shopping and decided to pop in at EB Games (Winnipeg). Not only did they have Wii U consoles for sale, but they had 20 available. I started chatting with the sales girl to pass time, and she asked if I would like to buy a Wii U. When I said no, she said, "Please buy one. We have had 20 sitting here since Wednesday and nobody has bought one yet."

I understand that not all markets are the same, but when the Wii came out, it took forever to find one. Not a good sign for Nintendo at all.

Oh yeah? What store was that?

I'm sorry, i've been too busy enjoying my wii U to bother trying to convince the haters that it's worth picking up, since you're not going to bother with it no matter what I say.

That's not necessarily true though. I won't buy one because Nintendo is doing a p*ss poor job promoting it. Right now, the only people who could possibly try and convince me to buy one would be people like you who own one. As it is, I don't even know if employees at Nintendo have played it because they sure as crap can't explain to me why it is worth my time.

That's not necessarily true though. I won't buy one because Nintendo is doing a p*ss poor job promoting it. Right now, the only people who could possibly try and convince me to buy one would be people like you who own one. As it is, I don't even know if employees at Nintendo have played it because they sure as crap can't explain to me why it is worth my time.

i'd suggest going to one of the mall "wii-u experience" installations to try it for yourself if you want to see why you should buy it.

• 1 month later...

Wii U News Explosion: New Zelda, Mario, More

All the info from today's massive Nintendo Direct in one place.

by Keza MacDonald

JANUARY 23, 2013

Well! That was a surprise. It started slow, but today's Nintendo Direct broadcast brought absolutely massive news from the Japanese giant, with no fewer than seven new games announced (and one remake). We now know what Nintendo is going to be showing at E3, and what to expect from Wii U this year. Here's everything that happened in one handy place.

A New, HD Zelda

It's clearly at a very early stage, but Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma gave us the first information about the next game in this beloved series. Promising that the team is "rethinking the conventions of Zelda," like completing dungeons in order and the series almost exclusively single-player heritage, he promised a newborn Zelda that will delve into the series' early history for its inspiration.

(Full story)

An Old Zelda, Remade

The GameCube's The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is being remade for Wii U, including new Wii U Gamepad features and Gamepad-only play. It'll be out in August of this year. Iwata presented it as something to keep us going until the big new Zelda, which is likely to be some years away. It's got upgraded graphics, it works with Miiverse, and it's got gorgeous new lighting. The sample artwork that we saw was stunning: a mixture of Skyward Sword's vibrancy and Twilight Princess' detail. We saw recognisable snapshots of Wind Waker's Windfall Island.

(Full story)

Smash Bros, New 3D Mario and Mario Kart Confirmed for E3

Iwata laid the foundations for a strong Nintendo showing at E3, stating that a new Mario Kart and the much-anticipated new Wii U and 3DS Smash Bros game will be making appearances. The big one, though, was the announcement of a new 3D Mario, which will debut at the show - it's being made by the same team behind the Galaxy games and Super Mario 3D Land. Everything will be playable at E3 in June.

(Full story)

Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei

Following Nintendo's announcement that Project X Zone for Western territories earlier this year, Iwata brought us news that another crossover game is on the way: Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei is the lovechild of Intelligent Systems and Atlus, and all we got was a thematic trailer - but I think we can safely bet on a strategy RPG.

(Full story)

A New RPG From The Xenoblade Chronicles Studio

Monolith Soft, the developer responsible for the Wii's sublime Xenoblade Chronicles (and the rest of the Xeno series), is creating a new RPG for Wii U. It might even be a sequel to Chronicles - it looks extremely similar in terms of art style and combat system, going by the footage shown. But it's in HD, of course, so it looks even better. The trailer's final 'X' definitely suggests we're looking at another Xeno game, even if it's not a direct sequel.

(Full story)

The Virtual Console is Coming to Wii U

Surprise! Well, not really - we knew this was going to happen, but now we know when it's going to happen. Nintendo's Virtual Console will roll out on Wii U this April, beginning with NES and SNES games. Pricing is the same as it was on Wii (around $5/£5), and if you bought the game already you can unlock it on Wii U for $1/99p or so (no prices for other territories yet), which will let you play it on the Gamepad and add Miiverse support. That's a lot of money if you have several Virtual Console games; presumably, if you don't want to pay the extra, you can still play them in Wii mode without Wii U features. There's a nice introductory trial campaign, too, offering various NES games for $0.30 for 30 days.

(Full story)

Wii U Party is Happening

Given that Wii Party is one of the best-selling games of all time, it's hardly surprising to learn that there's a Wii U mini-game compilation in the same vein on its way. It's coming this Summer; we saw dice-rolling and two-player baseball. It looks a bit like some of the concept demos in the original Wii U announce video.

(Full story)

Yoshi's Land For Wii U

This has been rumoured for a while, but it's turned out to be real! A new Yoshi game in the style of Kirby's Epic Yarn (and made by the same team) is in development for Wii U under the supervision of Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island director Takashi Tezuka. We saw a lovely-looking woollen Yoshi gobbling and stomping on enemies. It'll be a 2D platformer, then, but that's all we know for now.

(Full story)

Some Nice Miiverse Upgrades

Alongside the Virtual Console announcement came news of a few updates to the Wii U operating system, one in Spring and one in Summer. Miiverse will expand, allowing people to create their own communities and making space for more than one community per game. Miiverse is also coming to smartphones and PC at some point this year. In Pikmin 3, you'll be able to take pictures of tiny Pikmin wildlife and post it to Miiverse, and Wii Fit U will let you compare fitness notes.

(Full story)

What a day. 2013 suddenly looks like a much better year for the Wii U than it did when we only had Pikmin, Wario and Wonderful 101 on the horizon. We'll bring you more info on all of these announcements as we get it.

http://www.ign.com/a...elda-mario-more

Archived