The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

now with actual analog sticks instead of the circle pads on the 3DS. good choice imho.

wiiudaily.com/2012/02/wii-u-to-be-priced-at-299/

Wii U = $299.

Havok and Autodesk has been liscensed for Wii-u developers, at Nintendo's expense.

http://www.webpronew...r-wii-u-2012-03

http://www.develop-o...ures-Wii-U-deal

Wii_u.jpg

Ok so we have the E3 2011 thread talking about various things, including the Wii U, and a thread talking about what the wii U might be, before it was fully announced, but don't have a logical thread to talk about the now announced console, the games, potential, etc. Let this thread be your one stop Wii U shop.

Details are pretty light at this moment in time, So I'll just quote a review from ubergizmo:

Wii U Controller Preview

By Raymond Wong - 06/07/2011 22:06 PDT

wiiu-main.jpg

Shocking nobody who’s paid any attention to all the rumors over the last couple of weeks, Nintendo unveiled the Wii U and its controller at its E3 press conference this morning. Boasting a 6.2-inch screen, dual analog circle pads, a mic, two pairs of rear triggers, a stylus and more, the controller wowed Nintendo fans near and far, gamers casual to hardcore and even many Sony and Microsoft diehards.

Just like the PS Vita, we immediately hopped over to Nintendo’s booth and awaited to go hands-on with the Wii U and its controller. Our full preview is just a click away.

Design and Weight

wiiu-02.jpg

Let’s cut to the chase. The Wii U controller is extremely light. As with the PS Vita preview, the Wii U controllers on display were prototypes, albeit working ones that more than likely do not have any sort of battery pack included. Final retail Wii U controllers could become heavier, but we’re hoping it won’t be too noticeable.

One thing we did notice that was missing was rumble/force feedback. Even with our repeated pestering, Nintendo reps refused to acknowledge whether or not the final controller would or wouldn’t have rumble in it. No rumble would be a huge step backwards (anybody who bought a SixAxis PS3 controller when Sony nixed it before going back and adding it in the DualShock 3 will know how important rumble is).

Overall, the Wii U controller felt exceptionally comfortable, the back was a nice matte non-slip plastic (we did sweat while playing New Super Mario Bros. Mii) and the A/B/X/Y buttons and triggers felt solid enough. One thing we’re not so sure about yet are the two analog Circle Pads. While rubbery, the Circle pads don’t appear to have as much rotation as old analog sticks on the Wii Remote and Gamecube controllers. Also, if they’re anything like the 3DS Circle Pad, then they’re going to wear out rather quickly (see Nintendo 3DS review).

Features

wiiu-03.jpg

We manhandled the living heck out of the Wii U controller and here’s everything we found on it:

6.2-inch touchscreen (diagonal)

2 analog circle pads, D-Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, ZL/ZR and L/R triggers, Home, Select/Start (Minus/Plus)

Volume slider

Mic and speakers

3.5 mm audio jack

Gyroscope/Accelerometer

A/C Power adapter port

Stylus

HDMI and Wii Remote access port

IR port

Nintendo didn’t provide any specific details on screen resolution, battery life/what type of battery, whether it’s lithium polymer or what how far the range for the controller is, but that stuff should make it out into the news in due time.

Screen

wiiu-04.jpg

Seeing games on the screen on both the HDTV and the Wii U controller is truly amazing. Like the Nintendo DS, dual screens is coming to the home living room gaming system and it is fantastic. Again, although we don’t know the screen resolution, games looked crisp and mostly sharp (at least Nintendo first-party games, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online looked awful) when beamed over.

Nintendo is stressing that the Wii U controller is not a portable, but it can be used to play Wii U games if your TV is occupied by someone else or if its switched off. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata promised no lag, but we’re still skeptic. Most demo games in Nintendo’s E3 booth did run buttery smooth, but we did see a few hiccups in frame rate in New Super Mario Bros. Mii.

Demo Games

wiiu-05.jpg

Several games were demoed at Nintendo’s booth and we got to play with a bunch of them. In Shield Pose, players had to move to a rhythm to block arrows fired from a pirate ship. Holding the Wii U controller to the left, to the right, above and in front of you to block it was sort of fun, but shaking the controller to rack up points was plain embarrassing, especially when you have various international media recording your every reactions!

New Super Mario Bros. Mii is basically the same game as the Wii’s 2D platformer, but with HD visuals and of course, the inclusion your own playable Mii’s, which in our opinion was kind of weird. We like the Miis, but seeing them in more Mario games (Mario Kart Wii was one of the first) is starting to feel like Nintendo’s running out of fresh ideas.

Battle Mii was a nice game that actually felt like it was the best demo out of all of the games. The game has players riding in a space UFO and then tilting the Wii U controller left and right to control the camera and using both Circle Pads to glide the ship up and down. The R trigger shoots and the L trigger zooms in. Who do you shoot? Why other Miis through an obstacle-laden course, duh! It’s fun, it’s simple, and everything happens on the Wii U’s screen. If Nintendo bundles Battle Mii with the Wii U, they’d have a hit.

Chase Mii and Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online were also available to play. We missed out on Chase Mii, but Ghost Recon was very disappointing. Yeah, it was essentially running Xbox and PS3 assets, but the game looked terrible for a high definition came. The rendered map on the Wii U controller’s screen was also jaggy as heck, leading us to the conclusion that the screen’s pixel per inch density is not very high.

Conclusion

wiiu-06.jpg

Unfortunately, because the Wii U and its controller is still a prototype at this stage, Nintendo has yet to announce price, release dates or launch games. Frankly, it’s not too hard to speculate that Nintendo will sell the console at a competitive price to lock heads with the PS3/Xbox 360.

On the other hand, the Wii U controller might be a little pricier seeing as it does have a 6.2-inch touchscreen, a couple of motion sensors and all the stuff a regular controller has. Buying two or more of these controllers could become costly real soon (Update: It appears only one Wii U controller can be used with the Wii U – a handicap that’s limited due to the streaming power that is required by the console) Then again, the Wii U is totally compatible with Wii Remotes and Wii RemotePlus’ so for all we know, most games might only require one Wii U controller.

Nonetheless, we came off very impressed with the Wii U controller and like all of the excited third-party publishers, we’re psyched and can’t wait to get our hands on one ourselves. We think Nintendo really is going to disrupt the PS3 and Xbox 360′s 10-year life cycle yet again. Throw in a few hardcore games like GTA, Call of Duty and Battlefield and the Wii U could come out on top just like the current Wii.

Here's the info about only 1 tablet:

550x-wiiu-controller-packag.jpg

Nintendo’s tablet-esque Wii U controller raised a few questions when it was announced at E3. Questions like, “What kind of crazy games are going to use that thing,” and “How much will a second controller cost me?” The latter, at least, has been answered. Nothing. You don’t need one. Nintendo’s Satoru Iwata recently said in an interview that games enlisting more than one Wii U controller aren’t being considered just yet — although they are possible. Iwata told Diamond Online that the Wii U can technically support multiple screen-controllers, but that additional slabs would be too expensive to sell on their own. Iwata went on to say that the console would ship with only one, and that game developers should design titles under the assumption that each console will use a single Wii U controller. Player two will have to settle for a good ‘ol Wiimote, and even Satoru himself admits that there are plenty of those around.

update: they are working on 2 controllers

Wii U: Nintendo rumored to be working on dual tablet support

By Stephen Chapman | November 9, 2011, 10:15am PST

Summary: Will the Wii U now support two tablets instead of just one, as stated by Nintendo at this year’s E3 conference? An anonymous industry insider says Nintendo is focusing on making it happen.

Big news for Nintendo fans today, the Wii U, Nintendo’s next-gen console that is expected to be released the second half of 2012, is rumored to be getting support for two tablets instead of just one, according to an anonymous source who spoke with Develop.

To quote Develop’s source:

“Nintendo now know they absolutely need to support two tablets.

“At E3 they didn’t commit to this, but they know how important it is to make it technically feasible to support two screens. Even if that affects framerate, as a developer and player, I don’t care. It needs to work. Developers will design appropriate games for this.”

As you may recall, Nintendo’s announcement at this year’s E3 conference that the Wii U would only support one tablet was met with disapproving reactions from gamers who saw anything less than 2 tablets being supported as unacceptable. The problem isn’t the console supporting the traditional controller functionality of the tablet, but rather, the information/video/audio being pushed to it from the console.

http://www.zdnet.com...t-support/62998

Also note that the classic controller and classic controller pro both would be available for traditional gaming experiences.

Hardware Specs:

Developer	Nintendo

Type		Video game console

Release date	2012

Media		12 cm proprietary high-density optical disc

12 cm Wii optical disc

CPU		Custom IBM Power Architecture

Storage		Internal flash memory

SD card, SDHC Card

USB storage device

Display		Video output formats

Composite video 480i

S-Video 480i

RGB SCART 480i

Component (YPBPR) 480i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

HDMI 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Graphics	Custom AMD Radeon HD

Sound		Audio output formats

A/V-Multi: Analog stereo

HDMI: LPCM, 5.1ch

Controllers	Wii U controller, Wii Remote (Plus), Classic Controller (Pro), Wii Balance Board

Connectivity	4 × USB 2.0

Backward Compatible with Wii
updated list of announced games:

Title				Developer(s)		Publisher(s)			Japan	Europe	North America

Aliens: Colonial Marines	Gearbox Software	Sega				TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Assassin's Creed III		Ubisoft			Ubisoft				TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Avengers: Battle For Earth	Ubisoft Quebec		Ubisoft				TBA	TBA	TBA	2012

Batman: Arkham City		Rocksteady Studios	Warner Bros. Interactive	TBA	2012	2012	2012

Ben 10: Omniverse		Vicious Cycle Studios	D3Publisher			2012	2012	2012	2012

Darksiders II			Vigil Games		THQ				TBA	2012	2012	2012 (launch)

Dragon Quest X:

Rise of the Five Tribes Online	Square Enix		Square Enix			TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

FIFA 13				EA Sports		EA				2012	2012	2012	2012

Injustice: Gods Among Us	NetherRealm Studios	Warner Bros. Interactive	TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Just Dance 4			Ubisoft Paris		Ubisoft				TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Lego City Stories		Traveller's Tales	Nintendo			TBA	2012	2012	2012

Medium 				Bloober Team		TBA				TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

NBA 2K13			Visual Concepts		2K Sports			TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

New Super Mario Bros. Mii	Nintendo EAD		Nintendo			2012	2012	2012	2012

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge	Team Ninja		Tecmo Koei			2012	2012 	2012	2012

Pikmin 3			Nintendo EAD		Nintendo			TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Project CARS			Slightly Mad Studios	TBA				TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Project Nova			Vicarious Visions	Activision			TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Rabbids Land			TBA			Ubisoft				TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Rayman Legends			Ubisoft Montpellier	Ubisoft				TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Sports Connection		TBA			Ubisoft				TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Battlefield		EA Digital Illusions	Electronic Arts			TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Dirt			TBA			Codemasters			TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled F1/Formula One		TBA			Codemasters			TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Super Smash Bros. 	Project Sora		Nintendo			TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Tekken			TBA			Namco Bandai Games		TBA	TBA	TBA	2012

Untitled The Legend of Zelda	Nintendo EAD		Nintendo			TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Your Shape:Fitness Evolved 2013	TBA			Ubisoft				TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA

Zombi U				Ubisoft			Ubisoft				TBA	2012	2012	2012

no more friend codes, plus achievements and greater online experience, comparable to 360/ps3:

Ever since the announcement of the Wii U, Nintendo's latest home console, and successor to the Wii at last week's games trade show, E3, we've been loading with more questions than answers. With every day that passes, and the dust settles after the mania of last week, more and more details are starting to slip out about Nintendo's latest console - this one in regards to the online.

We wrote a story earlier today about Nintendo's new approach to online, with Ubisoft having confirmed that the console will do away with the annoying friend codes that plagued the Wii, and, to a lesser extent, the 3DS. Official Nintendo Magazine, on the other hand, have managed to squeeze a few more details out of Ubisoft - such is the advantage of being an official magazine.

WiiU-Software-Screenshot-2large.jpg

New Super Mario Bros., with achievements?? Yes please.

At a roundtable at E3, Ubisoft confirmed to ONM that the Wii U will feature a secure friends list, that lets you track your friend's progress through games. While specifics were, understandably sparse, it does sound as though the Wii U may finally be getting its own version of the Xbox 360's achievements, which are basically small rewards you unlock for progressing through the game, and "achieving" certain things. They're remarkably addictive, and surprisingly rewarding, so their inclusion on the new Nintendo system would be a great boon.

Along with the friends list, Ubisoft also confirmed that you'll be able to track happenings in their upcoming multiplayer shooter, Ghost Recon Online through the Wii U controller directly, without having to turn your TV on. You'll also be able to arrange matches with friends, and access the online ranking system without having to turn on your TV.

Nintendo have stated that their online service for the Wii U will be comparable to the 360 and PS3. With the details that are starting to leak out, it looks like the Wii U may live up to its hype.

Dev kits that were handed out to developers pre-E3 were underclocked on purpose, noone knows how powerful the Wii U actually will be, but it's going to be well beyond PS3 and 360's hardware, as underclocked kits were 50% more powerful than the ps3:

Wii-U-Launch-Date-SEGA-Sonic-Generations-Summer-Spring-2012-qsibz.jpg

A recent report says that game developers were working on underclocked Wii U development kits prior to E3, meaning that the kits were not up to the full specification of the final Wii U hardware.

The report from Hit Detection, founded by former technology journalist N'Gai Croal states the following:

Source: Kotaku

This could explain the confusion with many developers saying the system being only 50% more powerful than the current generation, leading to queries about how much more powerful the system is.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/15768

I'll post more info as it becomes available (like price point and release date, as well as games.)

So a controller the size of a dinner plate. Great. So convenient. Only having one controller, also convenient. With its own screen, which would usually be totally useless unless they build functionality into it which would be a distraction.

I like the system but I hate the controller. Its not usefull, or cool, or game changing, or anything beyond a gimmick. A very expensive, intrusive, annoying gimmick.

the screen is a touch screen which also allows you to play the games solely on the 6.3" display (you don't need to tie up the TV to play your games) and it uses the Wii's controllers as well. all the video's I saw looked like a lot of fun, and quite promising. plus all the hands on impressions of the controller say it's extremely comfortable.

The baseball game alone looks like it's worth it as far as gaming experiences go, plus the added horsepower shoots it beyond anything the PS3/360 can do.

I like this better then the Wii but I hate the direction Nintendo is taking.

I loved the N64 and Super Nintendo but after that they went downhill for me and I lost interest. Its become to childish for me.

I loved the N64 and Super Nintendo but after that they went downhill for me and I lost interest. Its become to childish for me.

let me guess, you are in your late teens/early 20's?

Either that or you have no clue what's been going on with nintendo systems lately.

There are plenty of non-"childish" options out there for the Wii, and even more planned for the 3DS and Wii-U. They are actively reaching out towards the "hardcore" gamer, and developing more and more of these types of games (or at least 3rd parties and 2nd parties are.)

For this to succeed, I think Nintendo is going to have to price it relatively low. There is rumor that the PS3 is going to drop to $200, so I don't think it will be able to compete at $300 or $400. Once you get into that price range, your target audience needs to be the kind of gamers who are looking to get a lot of use out of this thing and that tends to be the hardcore audience (the kind of people who want real analog sticks and don't care much for touch screens and styluses). It's more of an upgrade than a whole new platform. It has better graphics and a shiny new tablet controller, but it still requires the old wiimotes.

There are two things that could entice me to buy Nintendo's new piece of junk:

a. Some launch titles that deliver (Red Steel? Excite Truck? Elebits? Really?)

b. A very low price. Honestly, I'd say $150 at most.

Either that or you have no clue what's been going on with nintendo systems lately.

There are plenty of non-"childish" options out there for the Wii, and even more planned for the 3DS and Wii-U. They are actively reaching out towards the "hardcore" gamer, and developing more and more of these types of games (or at least 3rd parties and 2nd parties are.)

It also has more to do with their system in general. I've played the Wii plenty of times I find it fun for a while but I would never own one.

The Wii and Wii U aren't conventional gaming systems like the PS3 or 360. They lost that feeling of being a true console, where you just sit back, grab a bowl of potato chips and just play some video games on the couch.

I wasn't a fan of the controls for the Wii and although it was cool at first just like the Wii U's controller but wouldn't you rather just buy a handheld device like a PSP or Nintendo DS? I find it unnesecary. Just give me a good old controller with 2 analog sticks.

It also has more to do with their system in general. I've played the Wii plenty of times I find it fun for a while but I would never own one.

The Wii and Wii U aren't conventional gaming systems like the PS3 or 360. They lost that feeling of being a true console, where you just sit back, grab a bowl of potato chips and just play some video games on the couch.

I wasn't a fan of the controls for the Wii and although it was cool at first just like the Wii U's controller but wouldn't you rather just buy a handheld device like a PSP or Nintendo DS? I find it unnesecary. Just give me a good old controller with 2 analog sticks.

This is true.

I only buy like 1 Wii game a year...or really it depends what is out that year. Whenever a Zelda or Super Mario game comes out I buy it, beat it and never play my Wii for a long time.

I haven't hooked up my Wii since I moved like 2 months ago, and when it was hooked up at my old house I never played it in months.

Nintendo isn't as awesome as it used to be. I had a Gamecube and enjoyed it very much, playing games like Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Smash Bros Melee, Zelda Wind Waker, and Animal Crossing. After the Wii came out and I got and beat Zelda Twilight Princess for that it sort of died down.

I did buy and beat Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 and Super Smash Bros Brawl. Even Okami I have.

• 4 months later...
Wii U: Nintendo rumored to be working on dual tablet support

By Stephen Chapman | November 9, 2011, 10:15am PST

Summary: Will the Wii U now support two tablets instead of just one, as stated by Nintendo at this year’s E3 conference? An anonymous industry insider says Nintendo is focusing on making it happen.

Big news for Nintendo fans today, the Wii U, Nintendo’s next-gen console that is expected to be released the second half of 2012, is rumored to be getting support for two tablets instead of just one, according to an anonymous source who spoke with Develop.

To quote Develop’s source:

“Nintendo now know they absolutely need to support two tablets.

“At E3 they didn’t commit to this, but they know how important it is to make it technically feasible to support two screens. Even if that affects framerate, as a developer and player, I don’t care. It needs to work. Developers will design appropriate games for this.”

As you may recall, Nintendo’s announcement at this year’s E3 conference that the Wii U would only support one tablet was met with disapproving reactions from gamers who saw anything less than 2 tablets being supported as unacceptable. The problem isn’t the console supporting the traditional controller functionality of the tablet, but rather, the information/video/audio being pushed to it from the console.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/wii-u-nintendo-rumored-to-be-working-on-dual-tablet-support/62998

Hey man, Gamecube was legendary.

It was better then the Wii for sure.

I don't remember it competing with the PS2 or Xbox though?

I was young so I don't remember.

It had it's run between winter 01 to winter 06... How young were you? lol.

To put in terms of sales, PS2 murdered Xbox and Gamecube. Gamecube itself wasn't that far off Xbox.

Also Gamecube was pretty awesome.

The problem is though that a vast majority of gamers are late teens/early 20's and Nintendo does very little to appeal to this group causing it to lose a lot of potential buyers.

It was better then the Wii for sure.

I don't remember it competing with the PS2 or Xbox though?

I was young so I don't remember.

Gamecube was fantastic, but it was a true console which I don't count Wii to be.

Gamecube sold about 20 million copies

Xbox sold about 24 million

PS2 sold about 150 million

So really Gamecube did quite well against XBox, but both failed compared to PS2.

Wii has sold 90 million copies. So in your opinion it sucks, but clearly to many others it doesn't.

Many of those people who have bought the Wii, bought them for their kids (Who don't like them anymore) or people thinking its a healthy solution so they can do their yoga.

I have two friends who bought one when it first came out, only to regret it and then upgrade to an XBOX 360 and a PS3.

5 reasons I don't like it:

Graphics are still far behind

The games are childish and boring

Can't play DVDs

Controller's suck (It was cool at first, now it just looks stupid)

No online multiplayer or at least barely any support

Many of those people who have bought the Wii, bought them for their kids (Who don't like them anymore) or people thinking its a healthy solution so they can do their yoga.

I have two friends who bought one when it first came out, only to regret it and then upgrade to an XBOX 360 and a PS3.

Graphics are still far behind

The games are childish and boring

Can't play DVDs

Controller's suck (It was cool at first, now it just looks stupid)

No online multiplayer or at least barely any support

Exact same reasons why I upgraded to an XBOX. Pretty big fan of video games as a child, and the Wii kind of sucked that likeness out of me. Only reason I still got is to play games like Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mario Kart Double Dash.

Graphics are still far behind - Wii U will be the most powerful console on the market by a fair margin.

The games are childish and boring - every single platform has "childish" games, as well as boring ones. If you choose to focus on those instead of the good ones then that's your fault. the Wii has plenty of adult themed and extremely entertaining games, as will the wii U, which is what this thread is about.

Can't play DVDs - do you really use your console as a dvd player? do you not own a real one or something?

Controller's suck (It was cool at first, now it just looks stupid) - honestly, they are the most intuitive and versatile controllers on the market and i don't think i could ever play a FPS without them anymore.

No online multiplayer or at least barely any support - nearly every game has multiplayer online, and it's well supported. the Wii u will have a more "live" feel to it, which is good because i hate the game codes, but saying the wii has no online is extremely stupid.

responses in bold above. clearly you know nothing about the wii, and are discounting the wii u because of the wii.

Archived