The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

I've kind of been skimming through the comments and such, but I have a question. Is the tablet the only controller for the Wii U? Or will there be a more standard controller? I can't see myself holding on to a tablet to play games. I think the Wii had an alternative controller, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Wii U would too, even if it is down the road.

Nonetheless, this sounds interesting and I might give it a try after a few price drops. Those graphics look pretty good too, and 1080P doesn't matter right now because I don't have a High definition television anyways, so 720P will work just fine.

there are 3 controllers to the Wii u

Gamepad (2 per system max, 99% of all games will only use 1 and no launch titles will use 2)

thumb_wii_u_gamepad_black-580x358.jpg

Gamepad Pro - 4 per system (i think), used for all games that don't require/use the screen (basically the majority of straight ports will use this) or for multiplayer games while playing on the tv (while one player plays with the gamepad)

Wii-U-Pro-Controller-300x168.jpg

Wiimote (with or without nunchuck), used in conjunction with the gamepad for multiplayer or by itself for games that don't require the gamepad/gamepad pro.

hugePhoto_4.jpg

and the wii u does go up to 1080P, if your tv supports it (like mine ::D)

there are 3 controllers to the Wii u

Gamepad (2 per system max, 99% of all games will only use 1 and no launch titles will use 2)

thumb_wii_u_gamepad_black-580x358.jpg

Gamepad Pro - 4 per system (i think), used for all games that don't require/use the screen (basically the majority of straight ports will use this) or for multiplayer games while playing on the tv (while one player plays with the gamepad)

Wii-U-Pro-Controller-300x168.jpg

Wiimote (with or without nunchuck), used in conjunction with the gamepad for multiplayer or by itself for games that don't require the gamepad/gamepad pro.

hugePhoto_4.jpg

and the wii u does go up to 1080P, if your tv supports it (like mine ::D)

Thanks for the useful information :)

Wii U titles available for download?

According to a new report, Nintendo is going all-in on downloadable titles for its upcoming console.

by Don Reisinger June 20, 2012 7:12 AM PDT

wii-u-tv.jpg

The Wii U will boast a GamePad offering full touchscreen functionality.(Credit: Nintendo)

Nintendo wants to give gamers more access to titles for its new Wii U, according to a report.

The game company is currently making it as appealing as possible for developers to make all of their Wii U games available for download, according to Wii U Daily, which claims to have spoken to a European developer who previously provided accurate information on the console.

The developer went on to tell the blog that Nintendo is "offering insane incentives for publishers to sell retail games as downloads on the console." The games, according to the developer, would be available through the Wii U eShop.

Nintendo mentions the eShop on its Wii U Web site, saying that the "digital storefront" will be available when the console launches. The company doesn't say that all games available at retail will be offered for download, but does point out that customers will "be able to purchase and download select games that are also available at retail stores."

Nintendo has in the past been criticized for its lack of a full-fledged digital strategy. The company has offered downloadable titles on the Wii, and users can stream films and television shows through Netflix, but its overall digital offering pales in comparison to those offered by its chief competitors, Sony and Microsoft. With the Wii U, Nintendo has made it clear that digital will play a key role in its strategy.

Beyond gaming, Nintendo has confirmed that Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube will all be available on the Wii U. In addition, the company will offer video chat, an Internet browser, and a social network, called Miiverse.

CNET has contacted Nintendo for comment on the Wii U Daily report. We will update this story when we have more information.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57456827-235/nintendo-to-developers-make-all-wii-u-titles-available-for-download/

Nintendo Wii U hopes to be preferred Black Ops II platform

Mark Raby, Jun 20th 2012

Can you imagine a world where the best experience for the newest Call of Duty game exists on a Nintendo console? It may be possible that such a world exists after the Wii U is released, making it the most current console on the market, surpassing the Xbox 360 and PS3 in its timeliness and relevance. At least, that’s what Nintendo is saying.

wiiu-blops-580x374.jpg

“You can imagine how a game like Call of Duty would work on the Wii U–the GamePad will allow you to declutter the TV and pull gaming items like maps down and not interrupt your interaction and enjoy the cinematic quality of the game on the TV,” said Nintendo of America executive VP Scott Moffitt in a recent interview. He did not confirm that Black Ops II was in development for Wii U, but rumors have suggested that it is.

“The experience of playing these titles on the Xbox 360 and PS3 are relatively similar; what we showed is how you can reimagine game elements like maps and scanning features and bring them to life on the GamePad and make it a completely different experience to what it was on competing systems… The Wii U could become the preferred way to play those games for some of the core gamers,” Moffitt said. There’s no doubt that the Wii U will offer a differentiating quality, but just like motion controls, the question is how long it will be before the competition ups the ante.

http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-wii-u-hopes-to-be-preferred-black-ops-ii-platform-20235045/

new nintendo direct announced for today at 9PM Pacific. I'm guessing this is to address some of the backlash from E3. I'm hoping for pricepoint and release date, and new game announcements (everything E3 should have been) but it'll probably just be a "thanks for the great turnout at E3" :P

exactly!

in all reality, it's probably going to be an innocuous quasi-announcement of something already known (like nintendo getting co-ownership and exclusive right to Fatal Frame, which would be amazing on the wii u by the way).

Wii U not only runs CryEngine 3 but also as powerful as Xbox 360 says Crytek CEO

Jeremy Nichols

There's been a lot of questioning as to the power behind theWii U, and more we find out abotu the system the less we find out about what's under the hood. Nintendo is currently playing it's cards close to it's vest, I think not only to keep people from throwing trash at them but also to keep the competition guessing.

Crytek CEO, Cevat Yerli had a few words to say about theWii U last night, and what he had to say should interest and impress just about anyone. Well, anyone that knows a thing or two about game engines.

Yerli spoke to CVG recently, saying that while he doesn't see his company developing a game for the Wii U, he thinks highly of the system and is allowing Cryteks powerful CryEngine 3 be used in a game for the Wii U. The CryEngine 3 is currently being used to power Crysis 3, the upcoming FPS sequel to the visually impressive Crysis and Crysis 2.

"It doesn't mean that CryEngine 3 doesn't run on Wii U – it actually runs beautifully. In fact, there actually is a game in development from a respected developer that we will be announcing. I've seen the game running and it looks really great," said Yerli.

When asked how powerful Nintendo's Wii U console is, Yerli said, "minimum as powerful as Xbox 360."

Now keep in mind, we don't know what game is being developed for the Wii U and powered by the CryEngine 3. For now, it's anyone's guess. However, if it takes advantage of how powerful the engine is, and the Wii U can keep up with the Xbox 360, Nintendo may have a winner here.

http://www.examiner....says-crytek-ceo

examples of the CryEngine 3:

v-444-cryengine-3-screenshots-2.jpg

cryengine3_siggraph_2009.png

if the wii u runs the cry engine 3 (rumoured to be almost as powerful as the unreal engine 4) then the Wii u is going to be amazing, and I have a feeling UE4 will run on it as well.

is that a good thing?

maybe, maybe not. it will help the game come out faster, but hopefully the namco team is just working on the 3DS version, and not the wii u version. it'd be a shame if they screw up the wii u version.

Namco Bandai Developing Next Smash Bros.

Looks like a new team will be developing the next Smash Bros. project.

by Audrey Drake JUNE 21, 2012

UPDATE: A few new details have been revealed regarding Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. Tetsuya Akatsuka (the art and sound director for the SoulCalibur series) and the main development team from the Tekken series will be working on the project alongside Director Yocrapo Higuchi (Tales of Vesperia) and Producer Kenya Kobayashi (Ridge Racer).

ORIGINAL STORY: It was revealed during today's Nintendo Direct Broadcast that Namco Bandai will be developing the next Super Smash Bros. games alongside Kid Icarus team Sora. The titles were previously announced for Wii U and 3DS. Series creator Masahiro Sakurai will still be heading up the project, which is normally developed by his HAL Laboratory team.

Yocrapo Higuchi, who produced Tales of Vesperia, will be the games' director. Namco Bandai's Kenya Kobayashi (Ridge Racer) will be producing the titles.

Archived