The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

responses in bold above. clearly you know nothing about the wii, and are discounting the wii u because of the wii.

Graphics are still far behind - Wii U will be the most powerful console on the market by a fair margin.

The games are childish and boring - every single platform has "childish" games, as well as boring ones. If you choose to focus on those instead of the good ones then that's your fault. the Wii has plenty of adult themed and extremely entertaining games, as will the wii U, which is what this thread is about.

Can't play DVDs - do you really use your console as a dvd player? do you not own a real one or something?

Controller's suck (It was cool at first, now it just looks stupid) - honestly, they are the most intuitive and versatile controllers on the market and i don't think i could ever play a FPS without them anymore.

No online multiplayer or at least barely any support - nearly every game has multiplayer online, and it's well supported. the Wii u will have a more "live" feel to it, which is good because i hate the game codes, but saying the wii has no online is extremely stupid.

You sound like a Wii fanboy right now...

1. I wasn't talking about the Wii U, I was talking about the Wii so what you just said is completely irrelevant, especially since no information on the next PlayStation or Xbox has been released, which I highly doubt will have lesser graphics then the Wii U.

2. Lets see the top games on the PS3 and 360.. (Modern Warfare, Gears Of War, LA Noire, Battlefield, Drake's Uncharted, Fallout, GTA). Those are just a few of the many top games played on the PS3 and 360. When I look at the Wii's top games I hardly see any T or M rated games... It speaks a lot about the audience Nintendo's targeting. :rolleyes:

3. What's wrong with using an XBOX as a DVD player, you're logic is sad... and yes we do own DVD players.

4. Yes they are versatile and intuitive but that crap is so old now. I would rather play an FPS with a normal controller then a silly pair of numchucks, that just sounds completely bizarre and if you're implying that I should use those attachments to make the controllers seem like a rifle then why would I spend even more? Completely impractical. In fact I would rather play Mario with a normal controller then two silly things or using one blocky uncomfortable controller turned to the side.

5. Once again this isn't about the Wii U... completely irrelevant and when I mean "no multiplayer", how many people are going to buy a Wii to play online... sure my wording was wrong originally, but really?

I think the Wii sold so well because at the time it was unlike anything else out there, but now with things like Kinect and Playstation Move the Wii really doesn't hold much of a market anymore.

+1

That's another thing, it seems like Nintendo is more focused on the way the game is played then the way the game plays on their system.

The Wii is alright, I have one, but what it really has going for it is the old/original franchise games, and maybe some of the downloaded titles. At first it was all about the Wii Remote, which is pretty cool in most games, but now with the PSMove and the Kinect, there's heavy competition. There are a lot of "health" games and exercise games, which are neat if you are into that kind of stuff, but now the others can get them too. If the Wii and Nintendo didn't have the franchises like Mario and Zelda and Metroid, i don't think the Wii, or the Wii-U would go over very well. More and more gamers are turning more to the online games and shooting games and that hurts the Wii as well. I can understand why they'd want to have games to appeal to younger kids and other styles/genres of games, i mean hey, gotta have a big variety right?, but a lot of games for the Wii i've seen just seem to appeal to this, which is fine for people who like games like this, but if the Wii had more other styles of games, it could appeal to move people. I do like the Wii, so don't think i'm bashing on it, it just has some nitpicks to it like all systems... but i do think that they can improve with the Wii-U, like with all systems. The new 'controller' looks like its a mix between a Wii Remote and a DS/3DS Screen, looks rather bizarre. If its used properly and with the right games, it could work well, but it used improperly, it'll just be a real gimmick.

• 2 weeks later...

updated list of announced games:

Title				Developer(s)		Publisher(s)			Japan	Europe	North America

Aliens: Colonial Marines	Gearbox Software	Sega				TBA	TBA	TBA

Batman: Arkham City		Rocksteady Studios	Warner Bros. Interactive	TBA	2012	2012

Darksiders II			Vigil Games		THQ				TBA	TBA	2012 (Launch Title)

Dragon Quest X			Square Enix		Square Enix			2012	2012	2012

Killer Freaks from Outer Space	Ubisoft			Ubisoft				TBA	TBA	TBA

Lego City Stories		Traveller's Tales	Nintendo			TBA	TBA	2012

Metro: Last Light		4A Games		THQ				TBA	TBA	TBA

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge	Team Ninja		Tecmo Koei			2012	2012	2012 (Launch Title)

Pikmin 3			Nintendo EAD		Nintendo			2012	2012	2012

Project Nova			Vicarious Visions	Activision			TBA	TBA	TBA

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online	Ubisoft Singapore	Ubisoft				TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Assassin's Creed	Ubisoft			Ubisoft				2012	2012	2012

Untitled Battlefield		EA Digital Illusions CE	Electronic Arts			TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Dirt			TBA			Codemasters			TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled F1/Formula One		TBA			Codemasters			TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Mario game		Nintendo EAD		Nintendo			TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Monolith Soft game	Monolith Soft		Nintendo			TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Rabbids		TBA			Ubisoft				TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Retro Studios game	Retro Studios		Nintendo			TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Super Smash Bros. game	Project Sora		Nintendo			TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled Tekken 		TBA			Namco Bandai Games		TBA	TBA	TBA

Untitled The Legend of Zelda	Nintendo EAD		Nintendo			TBA	TBA	TBA

imo its a pretty bad idea using a tablet as "primary" controller.

It would always make players 2, 3, 4 feel left out.

Giving developers only the option of designing games with one single tablet controller in mind is counter-intuitive. Without more freedom to go about with game design, the software portion of the gaming industry will only regress. Imo its a big mistake that nintendo has made regarding the controller.

imo its a pretty bad idea using a tablet as "primary" controller.

It would always make players 2, 3, 4 feel left out.

Giving developers only the option of designing games with one single tablet controller in mind is counter-intuitive. Without more freedom to go about with game design, the software portion of the gaming industry will only regress. Imo its a big mistake that nintendo has made regarding the controller.

they are making it 2 tablet compatible due to popular demand.

Just like the Wii.

The controllers are going to be revolutionary and cool at first

But they're gonna get extremely boring right away just like the Wii..

lolpinions. I still prefer the wii's controller over anything else currently on the market, and I don't see how you could possibly have any issue with the controller wehn it's basically a 360 controller/dual shock with a screen on it. and besides, the system still used the wii's controllers as well.

lolpinions. I still prefer the wii's controller over anything else currently on the market, and I don't see how you could possibly have any issue with the controller wehn it's basically a 360 controller/dual shock with a screen on it. and besides, the system still used the wii's controllers as well.

I'm having tons of fun with my wii, but I can the Wii U being a bit of a bust like the 3ds.

That's another thing... What's the price going to be...

I can see one of those controllers simply costing $300-$400 dollars if its an actual tablet.

That's another thing... What's the price going to be...

I can see one of those controllers simply costing $300-$400 dollars if its an actual tablet.

yeah... Nintendo is too smart to try to do that. you honestly think they would release a system with a controller with a price point higher than the console itself? they have never released a system with a price point higher than $299.99, and I doubt they will be going back on that now. hell the 3ds isn't even that much, and it has 2 screens, is 3d and has multiple processors in it. the controller is just a screen and buttons, no actual processing will happen in the controller itself.

yeah... Nintendo is too smart to try to do that. you honestly think they would release a system with a controller with a price point higher than the console itself? they have never released a system with a price point higher than $299.99, and I doubt they will be going back on that now. hell the 3ds isn't even that much, and it has 2 screens, is 3d and has multiple processors in it. the controller is just a screen and buttons, no actual processing will happen in the controller itself.

So you think the controller is going to cost $50...? :huh:

If its like a "tablet" then why wouldn't it be at least $200 plus the console...?

Edit: Controller will most likely cost $119 and the console will be $379.00, up from Nintendo's original $349

So you think the controller is going to cost $50...? :huh:

If its like a "tablet" then why wouldn't it be at least $200 plus the console...?

Edit: Controller will most likely cost $119 and the console will be $379.00, up from Nintendo's original $349

it's not a tablet, tablets have their own processor, it's really just a touch screen, which are extremely cheap. I'd be surprised if the controller is over 50, and where are you getting $349 from?

I think the Wii sold so well because at the time it was unlike anything else out there, but now with things like Kinect and Playstation Move the Wii really doesn't hold much of a market anymore.

Ya cause sony copied nintento with the move and microsoft- kinnect with the playstation eye. so sony is full of copycats.

1. No real analog sticks; just the mediocre analog pads that the 3DS has.

2. Big and probably heavy

3. Expensive (there is not way a controller with a screen on it is only going to cost $50)

I think it's a niche thing. The only question is: where's the niche? It's not like your average gamer is looking forward to playing Call of Duty or FIFA 12 with a touch screen "analog pads".

1. No real analog sticks; just the mediocre analog pads that the 3DS has.

2. Big and probably heavy

3. Expensive (there is not way a controller with a screen on it is only going to cost $50)

I think it's a niche thing. The only question is: where's the niche? It's not like your average gamer is looking forward to playing Call of Duty or FIFA 12 with a touch screen "analog pads".

did you even read the info from the first page?

Let’s cut to the chase. The Wii U controller is extremely light.

did you even read the info from the first page?

I missed that part. Then again, then original Xbox controller was fairly light, too, and it was probably the most uncomfortable controller ever (though the N64 is close behind).

I just don't see the appeal. I'm all for innovation and I'd really like to see cool new concepts, but this idea is just messy.

I almost exclusively play multiplay games, now, and Nintendo is continuing to fall far behind in that category.

IMO I don't see Nintendo winning this console war without having titles like call of duty's, uncharted's , battlefield 3's, halo's, gears of war's, assassin's creed's, and so on.

It's games the game and the online community that overall decides how well a console sells. Nintendo needs a rig that will support those games and be on par with playstation and Xbox; Even more so with playstation 4 and Xbox 720 (or what ever it's called) just around the corner.

If Nintendo can have the blockbuster titles like the call of duty's, the halo's, the heavy rain's, and so on, along with its already successful Mario's, donkey long's, Zelda's and so on. I feel it will be a huge success for Nintendo. Doing something like gives all he groups something I like about the system; for the young to the old.

I'm hoping that the wii u will do that.

Just my 2 cents.

It also has more to do with their system in general. I've played the Wii plenty of times I find it fun for a while but I would never own one.

The Wii and Wii U aren't conventional gaming systems like the PS3 or 360. They lost that feeling of being a true console, where you just sit back, grab a bowl of potato chips and just play some video games on the couch.

I wasn't a fan of the controls for the Wii and although it was cool at first just like the Wii U's controller but wouldn't you rather just buy a handheld device like a PSP or Nintendo DS? I find it unnesecary. Just give me a good old controller with 2 analog sticks.

The world, excluding you, is now moving on.

You sound like a Wii fanboy right now...

1. I wasn't talking about the Wii U, I was talking about the Wii so what you just said is completely irrelevant, especially since no information on the next PlayStation or Xbox has been released, which I highly doubt will have lesser graphics then the Wii U.

2. Lets see the top games on the PS3 and 360.. (Modern Warfare, Gears Of War, LA Noire, Battlefield, Drake's Uncharted, Fallout, GTA). Those are just a few of the many top games played on the PS3 and 360. When I look at the Wii's top games I hardly see any T or M rated games... It speaks a lot about the audience Nintendo's targeting. :rolleyes:

3. What's wrong with using an XBOX as a DVD player, you're logic is sad... and yes we do own DVD players.

4. Yes they are versatile and intuitive but that crap is so old now. I would rather play an FPS with a normal controller then a silly pair of numchucks, that just sounds completely bizarre and if you're implying that I should use those attachments to make the controllers seem like a rifle then why would I spend even more? Completely impractical. In fact I would rather play Mario with a normal controller then two silly things or using one blocky uncomfortable controller turned to the side.

5. Once again this isn't about the Wii U... completely irrelevant and when I mean "no multiplayer", how many people are going to buy a Wii to play online... sure my wording was wrong originally, but really?

+1

That's another thing, it seems like Nintendo is more focused on the way the game is played then the way the game plays on their system.

M rated games -http://www.ebgames.com/browse/nintendo-wii?nav=138a-35

T rated games-http://www.ebgames.com/browse/nintendo-wii?nav=138a-34

so, what else do you specifically need?

Archived