The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

Call of duty black ops 2 live demo!

looks amazing/beautiful!

one player can play full screen on tv, and one on the gamepad to avoid split screen.

in single player can play directly from gamepad without using tv at all.

zombies will be back, full online multiplayer, launches this november at/near launch (i missed the exact date)

nintendo shares shooting up like crazy. so glad I bought them after E3 at their low point, they'll be growing steadily now that a release date and price have been announced.

also, in anticipation for the event today, the stock price has been rising steadily this week. people were buying quickly while the price was still relatively low.

i think i'll wait a bit. some sellers might bundle it as we get closer to launch

there's already a bundle, it's called the deluxe package. i don't see what else there would be, especially at launch. bundles don't usually come until at least a year into a system's lifecycle, and NOA isn't selling an extra gamepad.

there's already a bundle, it's called the deluxe package. i don't see what else there would be, especially at launch. bundles don't usually come until at least a year into a system's lifecycle, and NOA isn't selling an extra gamepad.

i know,i'll have to get a pro controller. but just in case there is a bundle. otherwise i'll order in a few weeks

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/wii-u-sold-out-at-retailers/

Wii U pre-orders started as soon as Nintendo revealed the price of the console. Major retailers across the US, including GameStop, Best Buy, Target, and Toys ‘R Us started taking pre-orders on the new console. Nintendo allocated a certain amount of each SKU to each retailer. According to sources, some have already sold out of the Deluxe set, which retails at $349.

Nintendo Wii U supply may be shorter than anticipated

Posted 7:10 pm on Monday, September 17th, 2012

by Chris Del Castillo

nintendo-wii-u-black.jpeg

It was only a week ago that all major retailers started taking pre-orders on the upcoming Wii u, and almost all of them have already filled their pre-order numbers meaning, just like the release of the Nintendo Wii people want the Wii u.

The Wii u has a release date of November 18th, 2012 and has two different models, for $299.99 standard 8 gig edition in white and for $50 dollars more you can upgrade that to a 32gb system in black that features a few extra goodies including a copy of Nintendo Land.

Nintendo more than likely expected this huge rush, especially with the initial launch of the Nintendo Wii with the shortages of systems which caused the system to sell for almost double online by people looking to make some quick cash, but what Nintendo couldn’t of expected is the anti-Japanese demonstrations in China, that has put people in the hospital and destroyed anything and everything relating Japanese (people, products, even just having a Japanese name). Japanese factories thus have shut down, and while it’s causing a lot of people to go without work it’s safer than having to deal protesters and rioting people.

It’s now a question of how this will impact Nintendo Wii u’s release.

http://nerdreactor.com/2012/09/17/nintendo-wii-u-supply-may-be-shorter-than-anticipated/

Nintendo Wii U Preorders Sell Out at Online Retailers

byline_mashable.gif

By CHRISTINA WARREN

September 17, 2012

The iPhone 5 isn't the only gadget that's racking up massive preorders, preorders of Nintendo's new Wii U console are already sold out at online retailers across the United States.

The Wii U will launch in the U.S. on Nov. 18, 2012 but lots of online retailers are already taking preoders for the console. Or, at least they were.

As first reported by IGN, most major retailers have already sold out of the Wii U. Nintendo is offering the console in two packages, a Basic bundle for $299.99 and a Deluxe bundle for $349.99. The Deluxe bundle includes a game, more storage and additional accessories — so it's clearly the better bargain.

Best Buy, Toys R Us, Sears, Walmart and GameStop have already sold out of the Deluxe bundles. At the time of this writing, only Best Buy and GameStop have the Basic bundle available. Amazon.com isn't offering the console for preorder at this time, however a number of its sellers are offering the device on preorder at a hefty $200 premium.

Without knowing how many consoles Nintendo is offering retailers for preorder, it's impossible to know what this means for the early success of the console. After all, Nintendo has been known to keep inventory artificially scarce to increase demand.

Still, the fact that the console is already broadly sold out online is a good sign for the console — even if it's only in perception.

We got to spend some hands-on time with the Wii U at the launch event in New York last week and couldn't help but be impressed by what Nintendo has put together.

The concept of the Wii U game pad, which includes a tablet-like touch screen, offers up some really interesting game possibilities. Moreover, the new Nintendo TVii could be the big differentiator that sets Nintendo apart from the other players in the media player and connected device space.

Nintendo hit a real sweet spot with the original Wii. It managed to create a device that was used — and loved — by causal gamers. With the Wii U, Nintendo is betting that family's will be willing to upgrade to the new hardware, while also hoping to bring some of the more hardcore gamers back into the fray.

Nintendo needs the Wii U to be a success. The company has company reported its first ever annual loss back in April and its 3DS console hasn't met earlier expectations.

The fact that the device is already selling out — two months ahead of its release — at least shows that there are lots and lots of customers that still love Nintendo. That's a good thing.

What do you think of the Wii U? Are you interested in pre-ordering one before its release? Let us know in the comments.

This article originally appeared on Mashable.com.

Nintendo: Baseline Wii U game price will be $59.99

3284821812.jpg September 13, 2012 By Anthony John Agnello

Nintendo is abandoning the $49.99 price point that made the original Wii so attractive in favor of a Wii U game price of $59.99.

When Nintendo released the Wii in 2006, $250 got you the machine, one Wii remote, a “nunchuck” attachment, and a copy of Wii Sports. It was a bargain in comparison to Microsoft’s Xbox 360 which ran $400 for the model with an adequate hard drive. It was practically free in comparison to the PlayStation 3 that retailed at either $500 or $600 depending on the model. The low cost of the machine wasn’t the only secret to its success though. It was also the games. PS3 and 360 games cost $60 standard, but Wii games were just $50. Games for older hardware cost less to make, thus the lower price.

Nintendo won’t be able to replicate that magic with Wii U. Contrary to early speculation, Wii U games will retail for $59.99.

Retailers Amazon and GameStop on Thursday posted pre-order pages for Wii U games, both Nintendo published titles like New Super Mario Bros. U and third-party games like Ubisoft’s ZombiU, that will cost $59.99. A Nintendo representative in turn confirmed for Polygon that $59.99 is the “baseline price” though “specific games could be more or less.”

For the next 12 months, this pricing model will be acceptable to most consumers as Wii U is technologically comparable to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. That said, Wii U games are technologically comparable to games from 2005, and while HD productions were monumentally expensive to produce at the time—and they very much still are—production costs have lowered somewhat in that time. When Xbox 720 and PlayStation 3 games retail for $59.99, Nintendo and its publishing partners will have to swiftly reconsider this price structure.

There is another logic at work in Nintendo’s game pricing. It has to raise prices on retail games to mollify chains like Walmart, Best Buy, and GameStop who will now compete with Nintendo more directly. Nintendo has promised that first-party games will be available on Wii U as digital downloads simultaneously with retail releases.

Nintendo was expected to maintain the Wii’s competitive $49.99 game pricing. Amazon listings for Wii U titles like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge appeared in May pricing the games at $49.99.

Read more: http://www.digitaltr.../#ixzz26pcvWgxc

Still no details over the digital downloads of retail games, I'm hoping there will indeed be a price cut for them. if not at first then at sometime in the future. i'd rather save money and DL all my games if possible.

i don't know, i'm getting the deluxe, plus NSMBU and Zombi U for the same price. a wiimote is not an equivalent to a new game, espescially when i already have 4.

your lucky. we have to pay $50 in taxes while you pay about $10. thats why the walmart one seemed like such a good deal for me. but its no big deal for you guys since almost the same price.

Wii U's GPGPU Squashes Xbox 360, PS3; Capable Of DirectX 11 Equivalent Graphics

Author: William Usher

published: 2012-09-19 20:58:53

Unity_47126.jpg

All that talk about the Wii U being “weak”, “underpowered”, and not capable of outputting graphics like the Xbox 360 or PS3, is apparently hogwash. Unity Technology's CEO David Hegalson squashes the rumors by acknowledging just how far the Wii U's tech can scale and what developers will be capable of utilizing with the Unity alone.

So, for those of you who don't know the Unity Engine is like a poor-man's equivalent of the Unreal Engine. It's not an insult, it's actually a compliment. You get many of the same or similar features from the Unreal Engine, within the Unity Engine, but at a fraction of the cost and with a lot less “coding bulk”. What's more is that Unity 4 is capable of Shader 4.0 and higher, 3D texturing, real-time dynamic lighting and everything else in between. One of the more popular demonstrations of the Unity Engine is Zero Point Software's Interstellar Marines.

Recently, Unity Technology announced that the Unity Engine will be supported by Nintendo and the Wii U across the globe, opening up development via the indie-friendly engine for developers both big and small.

In a pre-briefing interview with Hegalson before the press announcement went live, Gaming Blend had the opportunity to ask a few questions about the jump from mobile, PC and current-gen consoles to the first next-gen console, and whether developers would be able to make use of all of Unity's latest high-end technology on Nintendo's newest console, including the ability to make use of Unity 4's DirectX 11 equivalent features and shaders. Hegalson replied with the following...

Yeah. We'll do a -- we'll make it potentially possible to do.

What's interesting is that our philosophy is always this: We have a match work flow and I'm sure we can make a decent game and prototype, and they're fun. And then we have a shared system that basically allows you to access the full capabilities of the hardware you run. That's going to be good whether you're running [software] on an iPhone, the Wii U, a gaming PC or whatever.

When pried about the actual clock speeds, shader limits and memory bandwidth of the Wii U's GPGPU, Hegalson tried waving off the question, basically saying that it was up to Nintendo to disclose that information. Dang it.

Epic Games' Mike Capps also retracted his comments about the inabilities and capabilities of the Wii U's hardware, first tweeting that the Wii U would be limited to the Unreal Engine 3 but then later clarified his comments saying that the engine was "unconfirmed for all platforms".

So far, The Big 'N' has been extremely discreet about the actual detailed hardware specifications of the system. We've at least learned more about the console's RAM configuration and hard disk space, as well as the fact that it's even using a GPGPU but further details are still sketchy. I imagine we'll find out a lot sooner as the system draws near the November launch date.

On the upside, at least it's confirmed the system can make use of the higher end functionality of today's generation's game engines, which should be a sigh of relief for a lot of gamers out there who were afraid that the Wii U just wasn't up to par. In fact, if what Hegalson says coincides with the actual specs of the Wii U, that could put the graphics card at least two generations ahead of the Xbox 360 and PS3 in terms of shader capabilities, shadowing and lighting effects, since neither current gen console is capable of producing DirectX 11 equivalent graphic effects. Perhaps the $350 price tag isn't so high after all?

We'll have up more from the pre-briefing later, but for now you can learn more about the Unity Engine over at the Official Website.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-GPGPU-Squashes-Xbox-360-PS3-Capable-DirectX-11-Equivalent-Graphics-47126.html

Archived