The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

Does this thing hook up to a TV or are all the games on that screen? I really wish Nintendo went back to making games on a normal controller instead of this gimmicky stuff. I'd play with my old SNES, N64, or GC over the wii any day.

You call it Gimmicky, I call it innovative and of course you can play the games on the TV and if you did any research you would know that there is a Pro controller launching with the system that will be supported by most games. Most of the info is already online at multiple places including this forum. It would be nice if people get this Nintendo is gimmicky crap out there head and truly experience what this system is offering.

Does this thing hook up to a TV or are all the games on that screen? I really wish Nintendo went back to making games on a normal controller instead of this gimmicky stuff. I'd play with my old SNES, N64, or GC over the wii any day.

if this is gimmicky than why are Sony and Microsoft coping it? huh? :rolleyes:

lol its funny how you didn't need to change the price in the title.

I just couldn't see ninetndo launching without a base model at 299.99 as it's max price.

I went for the 3.49 model, as did most people i assume, since you get more than $50 (retail) worth of additions. plus it's a better looking colour :P

Nintendo: 23 games launching with Wii U console

by Brett Molina, USA TODAY

Updated 51m ago

The next chapter of the
New Super Mario Bros.
series as well as high-profile names such as
Call of Duty
will debut alongside the upcoming successor to the Nintendo Wii.

The Japanese-based company revealed 23 games will be available when its Wii U gaming console hits stores in the U.S. on November 18.

Notable first-party titles arriving with Wii U include action game
New Super Mario Bros. U
and the party game
NintendoLand
, which features theme parks based on past Nintendo franchises.

Publishers including Activision, Disney Interactive, Electronic Arts, THQ and Ubisoft will release launch-day titles. Among the third-party titles listed:
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Assassin's Creed III
Just Dance 4
FIFA Soccer 13
and
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Nintendo says an additional 29 titles will debut before the end of March, including space epic
Mass Effect 3
, fitness title
Wii Fit U
and first-person thriller
Aliens: Colonial Marines

"We're making sure that Wii U owners will have great games to play from the moment they open the box, and that a steady stream of fun new games is always on the way," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's president and chief operating officer, in a statement.

Also, Wii owners will get to play most of the games in their library on Wii U.

, the Wii U comes in two varieties: an 8 GB white model ($299.99) with GamePad tablet controller, AC adapter, HDMI cable and sensor bar; and a 32 GB version in black that also adds a charging cradle, stand and copy of NintendoLand.

The device will also turn the GamePad into an advanced remote, allowing users to control their television sets using Nintendo's TVii service.

The list of Wii U titles launching Nov. 18

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Skylanders Giants

Transformers Prime

Wipeout 3

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13

Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition

New Super Mario Bros. U

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Nintendo Land

Sing Party

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper

Darksiders II

Assassin's Creed III

ESPN Sports Connection

Just Dance 4

Rabbids Land

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013

ZombiU

Scribblenauts Unlimited

Game Party Champions

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

I'll be getting ZombiU and NSBU at launch (and nintendoland with my bundle); eventually I'll get ninja gaiden, Darksiders, assassins creed, teken, call of duty, and maybe warriors orochi (though it's probably more of a rental, but I'm a sucker for those games, and I need at least one). Also, i might rent batman.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U goes Full HD, supports 5.1 surround sound

By Edwin Kee on 10/02/2012 19:47 PDT

mh3u-fullhd.jpg

It seems that video game studios and developers are surely doing their best to make sure that the gaming experience which users enjoy will be on par with even some of the best shot movies. Of course, the realism level when it comes to graphics cannot compare to that of an actual human, but CGI technology has definitely come a long way since the days of Pong. Audio, however, gets close to the real deal with each bone crunching punch delivered, or the roaring breath of a monster coming right at you full of rage. Famitsu claims that the Nintendo Wii U version of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will be able to support 1080p high-definition and linear PCM 5.1-channel surround sound, now how about that for a little touch of class?

Not only that, you will also be able to make use of the Nintendo 3DS version’s bottom screen panel function in tandem with the Wii U GamePad. Internet multiplayer will also be part of the package, but if you can get three other like-minded folks with a 3DS, why not play locally? Your save data can be shared between the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U versions, thanks to a free app data migration application. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is starting to shape up to be a winner even before it is released.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/10/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-on-wii-u-goes-full-hd-supports-5-1-surround-sound/

since they'll be shutting down the MH3 servers and moving to the nintendo servers when this game is released, I was planning on getting this game anyway, and with all the added content (new monsters/missions, much improved graphics, and surround sound) I think it'll be worth the migration.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate goes big with 1080p support on Wii U, new screenshots

OCTOBER 4, 2012

BY: SCOTT GRILL

A report on Wednesday confirmed that the Wii U version of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will support 1080p HD resolution. We also received new screenshots from Capcom showing some of the graphical flourishes coming to the action title on Nintendo's new console.

The latest issue of Famitsu from Japan confirmed that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will support 1080p HD along with linear PCM 5.1ch surround sound. The game joins other Wii U titles that will support 1080p including ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Toki Tori 2 and more.

View slideshow: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Wii U Screenshots

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will function much as the Nintendo 3DS version of the game does with all of the action on the big screen while the screen on the GamePad holds the map, inventory, weapon selection, etc. The screen is also customizable so that you can arrange items however you want.

Game saves can be shared between the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS using an application to transfer. While you'll be able to take your Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate adventures online with the Wii U, you are limited to local multiplayer for the handheld.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is due out in March of 2013 for both the Wii U and 3DS.

9c2fb79236b5bf3d28cba6f25f4ddbdc.jpg

de8f4f1ad3057a10694b79d751e3a813.jpg

76b06051a7f13687331c689b208e40ed.jpg

5604009ed79a5a76d2d78567244b8096.jpg

1f2590ecc124bc9b93e86d626fc7c58f.jpg

214ded18dce3b6b38a9943ac4de1e7e8.jpg

237b2138311e69b8a947a8fd08e7dda4.jpg

4fa73e7de729adfaaa5d1166381c1933.jpg

49e2c48572be914f0629a073b0a230c3.jpg

'>http://www.examiner.com/article/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-goes-big-with-1080p-support-on-wii-u-new-screenshots

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Brings Hardcore to Wii U

Monster Hunter Tri is coming to Wii U, but what exactly has changed?

by Keza MacDonald OCTOBER 4, 2012

The best thing about Monster Hunter, unsurprisingly, is the monsters themselves. The iconic dragonlike and super-mammalian beasts in this series are among the most impressive creatures in gaming, and also among the toughest challenges. Take one look at the snapping jaws and electrified serpentine form of a Lagiacrus or the evil eyes and hyper-aggressive movements of a Tigrex and you know that you can expect an epic battle. Only after you know everything about a monster – where it likes to hide, how it limps when it’s weakened, which of its attacks you can block or dodge – do you stand a chance of bringing it down.

The best thing, though, is encountering a new monster for the first time; one whose movements and character you don’t already know. That’s the draw for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, if you’ve already earned your Rathalos armour in previous instalments. Although it is in most ways exactly the same game as 2010’s Monster Hunter Tri, it brings several new monsters to the party, along with subtle improvements and embellishments to everything else. If you’re not already a Monster Hunter fan, then this is the best time ever to jump in, whether on 3DS or Wii U – both versions are the same, and you can transfer your save between the two if you buy both (more details on that here).

Most noticeably, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U is HD, something the Wii couldn’t manage: it’s 1080p native. Unfortunately, though, it’s only been retextured rather than rebuilt in HD, meaning there’s still some blockiness to get used to. Tri was always a good-looking game, especially on its background, but in HD its graphical imperfections are more obvious – you can see the edges of the monster models more clearly, and the beautiful distant vistas you can see when you look out over the edge of a cliff don’t look quite so impressive in high definition, where their lack of detail is more exposed.

This is minor, though, in the context of such an excellent game (I really loved it), and the other improvements – especially the vastly cut-down loading times – more than make up for it. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate boasts about 50% more content than Tri, but most of it sequestered away in the upper levels of the game (G class quests), so you’ll have been playing for a good long time before you see any of it. At Tokyo Game Show, Capcom showed off one monster that’s new to Western Monster Hunter fans: the Brachydios.

Best described as a cross between a poisonous rhino and an extraordinarily aggressive, volcanic T-Rex, Brachydios enjoys slobbering explosive neon-green saliva all over its stumpy arms and then pile-driving you into the ground with them, leaving a residue of slime wherever it treads. He’s clearly a distant, vastly more dangerous cousin of the less dangerous Barroth, a mud-loving rhino-like monster that rumbled around the desert in Tri. Unsurprisingly, he kills me pretty quickly, despite the high-level armour and weapons and unrealistically-elongated health bar that I’ve been endowed with for the demo, but I get a good few stabs in on his shins with a gunlance before the green nodes on his head start to glow read and he erupts into rage mode. The monster stamina system has been expanded in Ultimate, letting you see more easily when a monster is weakened or hurt. They tire out more visibly.

Monster Hunter is at its best in multiplayer, when four people can complement each other’s strategies and weaponry, but in single-player Ultimate lets you bring two AI companions along: Cha-Cha, the little dude from Tri, and another wee chap called Kayumba. Cha-Cha and Kayumba sing stat-boosting songs and have the odd stab at a monster during battle, but their real purpose is to draw a monster’s attention away from you, letting you get a few hits in whilst the beast’s attention is focussed elsewhere.

The Wii U gamepad's screen shows your map (that might not sound important, but trust me, it really is) and can be used to fiddle with your inventory, which is hardly imaginative, but certainly utilitarian. Having a second analogue stick makes the camera easier to wrestle with, but the real godsend on both Wii U and 3DS is a targeting button that lets you actually lock on to monsters for the first time in the series' history.

At the moment I’m in two minds about whether Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate does enough to justify slogging through the early stages of a game I’ve already played for 100+ hours all over again. If you weren’t a Tri player, then great: you’ve got a lot to look forward to in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate – it’s as accessible as Tri, which was the first game that really made Monster Hunter easy to get on with for beginners, in my opinion. If you were a Tri player, though, then you might not feel overly inclined towards killing another 50 Royal Ludroth and Great Jaggi, working your way up from nothing again to get to the really good extra stuff.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is out on both 3DS and Wii U in March 2013 in America and Europe. As well as the improved graphics, it’s the Wii U version’s online functionality that will give it the edge over the portable version for many players; like previous portable Monster Hunter games, Ultimate is local-multiplayer only on 3DS (you can read some Tokyo Game Show impressions of that right here). You can also play local multiplayer with one Wii U console and three 3DSes, if you have three friends who are up to the challenge. Monster Hunter is as vast and as hardcore as action-RPGs get; it's a huge score for Nintendo's Wii U line-up, and not just for Japan.

mh3-1.jpg

barroth.jpg

mh3-3.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/04/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-brings-hardcore-to-wii-u

Big article on the Wii U TVii service

Utah’s i.TV scores big with Wii U

Tech » Nintendo’s video game console will use company’s software to advance interactive viewing.

By Vince Horiuchi | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08O0G9CjcI8&hd=1

With the help of a Provo company, Nintendo’s next-generation video game console will turn TV into TVii.

The Japanese gaming giant has partnered with Provo-based i.TV to develop a television service for its upcoming Nintendo Wii U console that not only will allow couch potatoes to watch television but to interact with it.

The service is called Nintendo TVii and it will be a new feature in the Wii U console, which will be released to stores Nov. 18 for $299.

Earlier this year, i.TV, which sits on the third floor of the historic Knight Block Building on Provo’s Center Street, was asked to design the television service and software for the console, allowing users to control their television with the Wii U’s controller.

Unlike the wand controller that gamers waved in front of the original Wii video game console, the new Wii U uses a game pad with a 6.2-inch touchscreen. Nintendo TVii turns that game pad and its second screen into a television remote in which users can get the television grid, organize their shows into favorites, and see instant information on what they’re watching — from real-time statistics on the football game to descriptions of important moments during a sitcom.

"We had a good sense for how people connect with TV," said i.TV chief executive, Brad Pelo, on how his company was chosen by Nintendo over dozens of competitors. "We were able to demonstrate the maturity of our thinking."

Here’s how Nintendo TVii works:

Once users connect the Wii U to a television set, they can control their cable or satellite box or TV tuner with the game pad. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon’s Prime Instant Video service are also integrated into the Wii U and can be accessed from the game pad if the user subscribes to them.

While watching TV, users can search for a program or movie they want to watch. On the game pad’s touchscreen, information is displayed about what the episode is about and whether it’s playing live or if it can be watched through Amazon, Netflix or Hulu. The service also works with TiVo digital video recorders, so users can record a program through the game pad or begin playback of a recorded program. For now, it works only with TiVo, but Pelo hopes it will eventually work with other brands of DVRs.

Displaying information on shows and movies is only half of what Nintendo TVii offers. The service also has built-in social networking features. While watching a program, one-sentence plot descriptions come up on the touchscreen during important scenes. Viewers with the Wii U can then comment about those watercooler moments, tweet something about them or even initiate a poll. They also can call up more information about an actor from the Internet Movie Database or they can go to a retailer’s website to purchase something related to the program. For example, fans of "American Idol" could push a button to go to a website and purchase songs or other merchandise from the show.

For sports fans, the game pad displays the scores of all the live games under way. Viewers then touch on which game they want to watch. During the broadcast, the touchscreen displays the game’s statistics, and viewers can comment or tweet about the plays as they happen.

Pelo said Nintendo TVii is a culmination of what i.TV has been doing since the company got its start in 2008 with the two-man team of Pelo — a former movie producer who made the sports film, "Forever Strong" — and company co-founder Justin Whitaker. The company made an iPhone app that was one of the first mobile apps to allow users to watch television programs on demand. Since then, i.TV has grown to a total of 15 employees, 12 of them engineers, and it’s expanding thanks to the Nintendo contract.

"We’re hiring," Whitaker said. "We were already on a growth trajectory, but this has accelerated it."

The company has developed mobile and Web-based software and services for AOL and Entertainment Weekly so users can watch TV shows with integrated social networking features.

For more than a decade, software developers such as Microsoft and TV manufacturers have tried to usher in an era of "interactive" television but have come up short. Pelo believes that Nintendo idea of a second screen for the Wii U controller can help viewers explore a new way of watching TV.

In fact, people already are accustomed to using second screens while watching television. According to a multinational Nielsen study from April, 88 percent of tablet owners and 86 percent of smartphone owners said they used their mobile devices while watching TV at least once during the month, and 45 percent of Americans say they use their devices while watching TV daily. The study stated that viewers were mostly reading their email but were also looking up content related to the programs they were watching.

"Interactive TV will come of age," Pelo said. "If the solution just helps you find what to watch on TV, then it’s a big win."

Nintendo TVii, he added, "clearly defines this original vision that Justin and I had."

one of my most anticipated "apps"on the Wii U for sure. a much bigger deal than the Miiverse, IMHO.

Archived