The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

Wii U controller's battery lasts over three days? Xbox 720 and PS4 should note?

WII U

OCTOBER 16, 2012

BY: STEVEN RUYGROK

28490393b2a5972147e692b9f1364fc9.jpg

Details regarding the Wii U, in nearly every aspect, continue to pour in each day, and now we all seem to have learned about how longNintendo's Wii U Pro Controller will last.

According to a report from Eurogamer today, official product descriptions on Amazon and GameStop discuss the details and battery life the controller will have when the system releases this November.

"Your games, your way. However you think of your gaming style - hardcore, old school, or purely nostalgic - the Wii U Pro Controller puts you in the game.

"Designed for accessibility and extended gameplay comfort, the Wii U Pro Controller features the dual analogue sticks and ergonomic button layout that you've come to expect, as well as a rechargeable battery that can last up to 80 hours on a single charge.

"The Wii U Pro Controller can be used for playing a variety of games - from packaged games at retail to downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

"Look on the back of Wii U game packaging to see which games use the Wii U Pro Controller. Not compatible with the Wii system or games," the description said.

For those who were wondering whether or not the Wii U Pro would work on your Wii games, you finally have your answer now.

However, Wii wand controllers will be compatible with the Wii U system and those who already have those, do not need to get new ones.

Microsoft and Sony should make a note of this when they are developing their gaming controllers, as over three days' worth of battery life is impressive.

Perhaps the Xbox 720 and Playstation 4 will have four days of battery life built into them?

Nintendo Wii U will be released on Nov. 18th.

http://www.examiner.com/article/wii-u-controller-s-battery-lasts-over-three-days-xbox-720-and-ps4-should-note

Wii U to sport Black Ops II Elite? Elite to be a free service for gamers?

CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS II

OCTOBER 15, 2012

BY: STEVEN RUYGROK

Call of Duty Black Ops II will be released this coming November, but it seems as thoughActivision will be offering new and potentially free incentives for those who wish take part in the Call of Duty Elite subscription.

According to a report from GamesIndustryyesterday, Activision's CEO Eric Hirshberg said they are trying to implement the Call of Duty Elite service onto the Wii U and are currently negotiating with Nintendo.

"Our goal is to bring the Season Pass and DLC to Wii U, but we just need a little more time to work with Nintendo on some of the details.

"For the Elite services, this is something we're looking into and evaluating our options, but it's just too early for us to say,"Hirshberg said.

Hirshberg said they are ultimately looking at making the service free to gamers because that is what the market is demanding.

"That's the plan, but of course, a year ago our plan was to offer a subscription service.

"So sometimes you need to change in response to the marketplace and also in response to your community. But right now, we're confident that this is the best thing for our business and for our players," Hirshberg said.

It's interesting to note Activision is coming closer to free-to-play offers for gamers, much like the topic has been highly discussed as an inevitability by nearly every gaming outlet.

Who knows when and how fast this revelation will shift from publisher to publisher as time goes on?

http://www.examiner....vice-for-gamers

Mass Effect 3 Wii U studio prepares a 2013 Square-Enix game for Wii U

October 16, 2012

By Anthony John Agnello

158756878.jpeg

Straight Right, the Australian studio hard at work converting BioWare's Mass Effect 3 for the Nintendo Wii U, is working on another port of a triple-A franchise for Nintendo's new tablet controller console. This time, for Square-Enix.

Straight Right games, Australia’s premiere (only?) Wii U developer, has offered up a hint as to what their next title for Nintendo’s tablet controller console will be.

Australian studio Straight Right is a real up and comer in the console development world. Headed by Tom Crago, formerly of Tantalus Interactive, Straight Right has yet to release an original IP hit. In fact, outside of the iOS version of Electronic Arts’ Shift 2: Unleashed, Straight Right hasn’t released a single game. The studio is working on multiple projects for Wii U, though, one of which is a launch title ofMass Effect 3.

As we reported in September, Crago said, “We made a number of bets on the Wii U, so we’re certainly hoping that the platform comes strongly out of the gate. We’ve got two other titles in development. One of them is original, our own IP, and another is based on another big franchise that will come out in 2013. It’s a big title and you will have hears of it.”

Given the company’s ties to Electronic Arts, it seemed probable that Straight Right would be working on another Wii U port for that company, likely one of its key 2013 titles like Dead Space 3. Turns out that Straight Right’s next Wii U port will be for none other than Square-Enix.

A NeoGAF forum member spotted a LinkedIn profile for Straight Right’s technical project manager Chris Slater, who joined the studio in June. The current project Slater is working is “porting a triple-A Square-Enix game to the yet-to-be-released Wii U platform.”

Square-Enix is a popular, prolific publisher with a number of triple-A releases under its belt over the past two years. This year alone it’s released, and will release, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman: Absolution. The company’s development history, though, does help narrow down what property Straight Right is likely porting.

Square’s Japanese development business is wholly segregated from its western studios that were previously part of the publisher Eidos. Since development of the Final Fantasy series never leaves Square’s internal studios in Japan, and that series is the only remaining console triple-A franchise remaining in the company’s portfolio, upcoming games like Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII are out of the running.

Crago did say that his other Wii U port project is a 2013 game too, meaning that the most likely candidate is Tomb Raider. Developer Crystal Dynamics has often relied on outside developers to complete work on its Tomb Raider games for other platforms. Tomb Raider: Legends, Anniversary, and Underworld all had ports developed by Nixxes Software, not Crystal Dynamics. Since Straight Right already has experience with Wii U, that makes them an ideal choice to port the new Lara Croft adventure.

http://www.digitaltr.../#ixzz29UUEksH5

Ackkstudios a Wii U dev, bringing Two Brothers to eShop, may bring 3D RPG as well

Oct 26, 2012 by RawmeatCowboy

BrothersWindowCapture10.png

- Ackkstudios are now officially Wii U developers

- team has around 17 employees

- “Two Brothers” heading to the Wii U’s eShop

- targeted 2013 release

- more specific release info coming in 2013

- currently in the infant stages of porting the game to the Wii U

- second game is a modern 3D RPG

- platforms to be announced for second game in March

- Wii U being considered for this RPG

- games like “Earthbound” and “The World Ends With You” have an influence on the RPG

- RPG is already in playable form

- Two Brothers is an Action/Adventure/Role playing game

- created in the style of Game Boy games

- gameplay is similar to “Secret of Mana” and “The Legend of Zelda”

- game will be HD

- general lack of color is a core element of what the game’s story is about

- take on the role of Roy Guarder, a young inventor who begins to obsess with the idea of finding a new color on earth

- this is after a near death experience shows him an after life filled with color

- your brother, Bivare, is also an inventor and explorer

- your brother also takes on your obsession and you begin a quest

- it took two and a half weeks for Ackkstudios to become an official Wii U developer

12 days and counting!

Wii U delivers incredible performance that stuns developers (Video)

With the Nintendo Wii U only a few weeks away from release, people want to know what type of performance they will be getting out of the console and with what one developer has already said, great things could be on the horizon for the Wii U.

According to a report from VG24/7 yesterday, "Nano Assault" developer Manfred Linzner said the development team and he were amazed at how well the system performs.

"The performance problem of hardware nowadays is not clock speed but ram latency. Fortunately Nintendo took great efforts to ensure developers can really work around that typical bottleneck on Wii U.

"They put a lot of thought on how CPU, GPU, caches and memory controllers work together to amplify your code speed.

"Also Nintendo took care that other components like the Wii U GamePad screen streaming, or the built-in camera don’t put a burden on the CPU or GPU.

"For instance, with only some tiny changes we were able to optimize certain heavy load parts of the rendering pipeline to six times the original speed, and that was even without using any of the extra cores," Linzner said.

The Nintendo Wii U will be released on Nov. 18th.

http://www.examiner.com/article/wii-u-delivers-incredible-performance-that-stuns-developers

Had absolutely no idea that the Wii U is coming out next week...

I'll probably get it after a year or two; as the launch titles are kinda mediocre, aside from Zombie U.

My expectations for this console is extremely low.

thats okay, i respect you opinion.

personally, i don't really think it's gonna fail miserably, but I also doubt it'll pass Wii in sales . It all depends when the PS4/Orbis and Xbox 720 are released.

Had absolutely no idea that the Wii U is coming out next week...

I'll probably get it after a year or two; as the launch titles are kinda mediocre, aside from Zombie U.

My expectations for this console is extremely low.

I have expectations for the console, but I agree that I'm not feeling the launch titles. I'll probably wait a year unless something amazing gets released out of the blue (Okami sequel that is better than the DS one please).

the only problem i see with the launch titles is most of them are ports so if you already have them there is no big draw to buy the system and these games right away

however having sold my wii along time ago i will probably be picking this up after jan 1 or wait for my tax return

I still have a Wii from launch, and a Gamecube from launch, an old "fat" PS2, a DS, an XBOX 360 and my PC (so technically also an SNES). Even if all three major next-gen consoles came out next week, I have so much gameplay available to me that I wouldn't worry about the fact that I need to spend my money on tools rather than video-games. I still haven't played Earthbound through, Final Fantasy X, XII, Okami, Skyward Sword ect., so I'm not really worried about having access to what is not a very interesting launch library to me. There's nothing superior to the games I listed available on the Wii U right now.

The only games I'm much interested in at all on that list I already intend to get on Steam. I'm not a Call of Duty player, but my younger brother is, and we both feel that Black Ops 2 doesn't hold much promise. I'm going to school out of town in January so I decided to start playing CoD on Steam (despite the fact that it's not at all my style and I'm awful at it) as a way of hanging out with my brother. Most people I know play the series socially, and the Wii U will not have any draw on that crowd because a group of five people who play CoD together aren't going to buy a $400 console each just to play on a different platform.

I want the Wii U to do well, but my expectations will be determined by games that come out post-launch.

Assassin’s Creed III

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Darksiders II

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13

ESPN Sports Connection

Game Party Champions

Just Dance 4

New Super Mario Bros. U

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Nintendo Land