The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

Wooowwww...this is a huge fail on Nintendo's part. Add in the other problems, and this console is doomed.

Eventually, the biggest coup in the gaming world will be when Nintendo stops making consoles. Then Microsoft and Sony will battle it out for Nintendo's game development. Whichever one adds Mario/Zelda/etc. to their lineup will score a huge advantage.

Wasn't surprised there would be a flaw.

Should have just stayed at the roots of video game systems and not be "innovative".

Wasn't surprised there would be a flaw.

Should have just stayed at the roots of video game systems and not be "innovative".

That would ignore the whole reason Wii was successful.

If anything, their failures seem to stem from trying to please all types.

I'm aware that it is probably due to the fact that I'm just a lot older than I used to be, but there is just nothing appealing to me about the WiiU.

When the next wave of Playstation and XBox consoles come out, I will also hold off for quite a while before I even think of purchasing the system, so I know that I'm pretty much out of the "hardcore" gaming category. However, that also means that I may be entering the "casual" gamer category. If that's the case, isn't that what Nintendo is known for? Because the WiiU, as has been stated so many times, has no identity nor do Nintendo know who they are actually catering to.

This came out with such little fanfare it was easy to forget that it even existed.

Shame to see Nintendo going this way, loved my N64 and to a lesser extent my Gamecube.

Slightly considered getting a Wii before playing it at my friends wore the novelty off. Had zero desire to get the Wii U.

This came out with such little fanfare it was easy to forget that it even existed.

Shame to see Nintendo going this way, loved my N64 and to a lesser extent my Gamecube.

Slightly considered getting a Wii before playing it at my friends wore the novelty off. Had zero desire to get the Wii U.

Going what way? It's sold out everywhere.

original stock sold out day one, restocking less than a week later, sold out immediately as well. nearly half a million sold within the first week, and their sales are only limited by how fast they can get the consoles to market.

yup, it's gonna be a failure everyone.

wiimini.jpg

http://ca.news.yahoo...-160913856.html

In a rare Canadian exclusive, Nintendo announced today that it will be launching a miniature version of its Wii console, the Wii Mini, ahead of the holiday season on December 7th.

For $99, Canadians will be able to pick up the Wii Mini in matte black with a red border and matching red controller and nunchuck. The console is "designed exclusively to play Wii games" BGRreports, so no backwards compatibility with GameCube games like the full-sized Wii, which has been on the market in North America since 2006.

[ Related: Wii U debuts with some issues, but its biggest obstacles are yet to come ]

In fact, the only games the Wii Mini will play are hard-copy Wii games. The Wii Mini has no Internet connectivity, which means no Virtual Console games or download-only titles, as well as no online features in other games.

Having said all that, though, this low-priced move could prove extremely beneficial to two key groups: families who found the original Wii too cost-prohibitive, and gamers who never bought into the Wii because of the lacking library for the "hardcore" crowd.

[ Holiday tech gift guide: Five hot video games for teen and adult gamers ]

While the Wii has been largely panned as having catered more to the casual gamer crowd over Nintendo's loyal fanbase, for $99, it's the perfect opportunity to try out some of the gems that have been released for the Wii. At such a low price point, gamers don't need to feel like they need to invest much in order to play the great titles that did emerge from this generation of gaming. Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, both Super Mario Galaxy games, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, The Conduit, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey and Trauma Team would be just a few of my personal suggestions. And with a library of over 1,300 (as Nintendo claims), there are at least a couple of others that might convince you to pick up a Wii Mini.

original stock sold out day one, restocking less than a week later, sold out immediately as well. nearly half a million sold within the first week, and their sales are only limited by how fast they can get the consoles to market.

yup, it's gonna be a failure everyone.

What a scary direction.

I bet the execs at Nintendo are sweating bullets heading in the path of success.

Wooowwww...this is a huge fail on Nintendo's part. Add in the other problems, and this console is doomed.

Eventually, the biggest coup in the gaming world will be when Nintendo stops making consoles. Then Microsoft and Sony will battle it out for Nintendo's game development. Whichever one adds Mario/Zelda/etc. to their lineup will score a huge advantage.

Don't forget Pokemon games, it's number two all time in sales behind Mario. Of course the Call of Duty franchise is quickly catching up and another GTA game is about to be released.

What a scary direction.

I bet the execs at Nintendo are sweating bullets heading in the path of success.

This April Nintendo announced that for the first time in company history they was at a loss for the year. Including a $350mil loss in the last 6 months.

Not to mention that the Wii U only sold 400k units in NA its first week, while the original Wii sold 600k.

Nintendos goal for total Wii U sales is 5.5mil by the end of March. By March 2007, the Wii sold 5.84mil.

Unless the sales pace in the rest of the world is significantly stronger for the Wii U then it was for the Wii then they will fall short of that target as well.

http://arstechnica.c...3ds-wii-demand/

http://arstechnica.c...n-xbox-360-ps3/

This April Nintendo announced that for the first time in company history they was at a loss for the year. Including a $350mil loss in the last 6 months.

Not to mention that the Wii U only sold 400k units in NA its first week, while the original Wii sold 600k.

Nintendos goal for total Wii U sales is 5.5mil by the end of March. By March 2007, the Wii sold 5.84mil.

Unless the sales pace in the rest of the world is significantly stronger for the Wii U then it was for the Wii then they will fall short of that target as well.

http://arstechnica.c...3ds-wii-demand/

http://arstechnica.c...n-xbox-360-ps3/

Hi.

You can't sell more than the inventory you provide. They sold out. As in they sold every last unit. As in they weren't able to sell 600k because they didn't have 600k units.

I'm aware of the companies losses. The first in 30 years.

This happened while the wii u wasn't out, I don't see the correlation?

I own an Xbox. I'm not even arguing for nintendos sake, rather common sense.

Archived