The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2013/05/23/ea-makes-wii-u-turn-on-games/1

EA makes Wii-U turn on games

Published on 23rd May 2013 by David Hing

article_img.jpg

Despite producing titles for the Wii U, the publisher is still not getting its Frostbite 3 engine to run on the console.Electronic Arts has stated that it is in fact currently making games for the Wii U.

Last week, the publisher claimed that it currently had no games in development for Nintendo's newest console. However, EA chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen has confirmed that the company is in fact working on Wii U titles after all.

Speaking at the Sitfel Nicolaus 2013 Internet, Media and Communications Conference, Jorgensen did state that EA is still focusing more on games for the upcoming Playstation 4 and recently announced Xbox One, but that it is also supporting Wii U.

Jorgensen did not however confirm exactly which games the publisher was working on, as it is still the case that Dice's Frostbite 3 engine does not run on the Wii U and this engine underpins many of EA's upcoming titles.

Work on getting the Frostbite 3 engine to run on the Wii U was abandoned following tests by Dice which means approximately 15 of EA's upcoming titles will not be launched on the Wii U. This includes Battlefield 4, Dragon Age 3, the next iteration in the Mass Effect series and any of the publishers as-yet unannounced Star Wars games.

The EA Sports mainstays Fifa and Madden will also be avoiding the Wii U due to their disappointing salesicon1.png on Nintendo's previous platform, as reported by Eurogamer.

Imagine the amount of money Nintendo could make if they decided to develop Mario and Zelda for Sony and Microsoft.

As Hat Trick Maker's post indicated, when the original Wii was used in the same sentence as "dust" and many other negatives for years, it is incredibly difficult to shed that perception of your company.

I felt absolutely cheated with my Wii. It wasn't the graphics I had a problem with, it was the promise that the system had, but only really had about 5-10 games (at best) that were worth buying (original Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Mad World, No More Heroes, Boom Blox). Those were my 5, I know that there were at least another 5 that, although not my cup of tea, were still good games.

There was so much garbage for the Wii that I can't help but feel the Wii U will follow suit. Is this the case? Will this be the case? Maybe, maybe not. But it is all about track record, and Nintendo does not have the best track record over the last decade.

Imagine the amount of money Nintendo could make if they decided to develop Mario and Zelda for Sony and Microsoft.

I suggested that a few pages back. Nintendo could very well end up out of the console game altogether.

I felt absolutely cheated with my Wii. It wasn't the graphics I had a problem with, it was the promise that the system had, but only really had about 5-10 games (at best) that were worth buying (original Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Mad World, No More Heroes, Boom Blox). Those were my 5, I know that there were at least another 5 that, although not my cup of tea, were still good games.

Boom Blox was da bomb! Then again, it was a one-trick pony, so I didn't even bother trying the sequel.

Both Mario Galaxies were great, along with Smash Bros. But that's about it. Not enough to make me sacrifice NHL.

I suggested that a few pages back. Nintendo could very well end up out of the console game altogether.

Boom Blox was da bomb! Then again, it was a one-trick pony, so I didn't even bother trying the sequel.

Both Mario Galaxies were great, along with Smash Bros. But that's about it. Not enough to make me sacrifice NHL.

talk about a rehash of the exact same game for decades...

talk about a rehash of the exact same game for decades...

True, but sports games do not go out of style and will always sell a boat load. Nintendo won't even be releasing any games for Madden, NHL, FIFA in the near future, that does not bode well for console sales. I was young and stupid enough to purchase the Wii, XBOX 360, and the PS3 (which I waited 2 years and only for the Blu-Ray at the time). As it is, I won't buy the Wii U and, if things go the way they are projected for Microsoft's console, I won't buy an XBOX ONE either. It's unfortunate that Nintendo dropped the ball on their console, because they certainly haven't with their handhelds.

Xbox One's Poor Reception Blasts Wii U Sales By 220%

Author: William Usher

published: 2013-05-23 22:39:38

nintendo_56021.jpg

Microsoft, selling Wii Us since May 21st, 2013.

On a serious note, this article's headline will be vastly inaccurate eight hours from its publishing date. Prior to putting the headline down, the Wii U's sales had blasted up by 875% on Amazon UK, moving it from the 390th position to the 40th position since the abysmal reveal of the Xbox One on Tuesday. As mentioned, eight hours from now the Wii U might see yet another huge sales blast given the free marketing from Microsoft.

Harvelo spotted the rapid change in the Wii U's sales position, noting the near 400th position before the reveal and the rapid climb up the charts since Microsoft announced their console, giving rise to a lot of consumers who felt that they would rather support the Big 'N' as opposed to giving a dime towards policies and measures that completely strip away your rights as a consumer.

At the time of publishing of this article, the Wii U on Amazon UK's site sits in the top 11, having moved up from the 40th spot with a 220% increase in sales since Harveylo posted their article. This is insane, as it shows that the Wii U may have been down, but just like Rocky in Rocky IV, it certainly isn't out.

At present, Nintendo hasn't been faring well with the sales of the Wii U, with the total install base estimated around 3 million units. Sad times, indeed. The NPD forecast also estimates that 38,000 Wii U SKUs have been moved during the month of April, according to reports fromNintendo Everything. Not good numbers for a new console at all.

With many consumers made aware -- and continually making others aware -- of the anti-consumer measures stated to be employed by Microsoft for the Xbox One, it's not unlikely that Nintendo could see a huge boost in sales throughout May and June, leading up to and through their reveal of new content at this year's E3.

I also kind of wish Nintendo had maintained a big conference at E3, as that could have really put a nail in Microsoft's coffin, not that they haven't already done that with their Kinect spying, the lack of support for indie developers and the realization that you'll need to buy all new peripherals from the ground up for the XB1.

The reason the Wii U has also blasted up so quickly on Amazon UK is because many of the touted, big TV features, apps and streaming services for the Xbox One are not available to many residents outside of the United States of America, meaning that Microsoft completely alienated a vast majority of the world's gaming community.

All the issues actually caused Angry Joe to revolt in a vociferous outcry against these policies, with many gamers joining suit.

Worse yet for Microsoft is that early poll results between the PS4 and XB1 showcase a massive discrepancy between anticipation for Microsoft and Sony's console...a huge discrepancy.

Well, at least it looks like Microsoft's blunder was Nintendo's booty, and the Wii U could see some huge sales boosts in the next couple of months if the Big 'N' plays their cards right and release some noteworthy software to capitalize on the consumer angst directed toward Microsoft.

Congratulations Microsoft, you just sold more Wii Us than Nintendo.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Poor-Reception-Blasts-Wii-U-Sales-By-220-56021.html

• 2 weeks later...

these are recent quotes from Mr. Iwata:

Turning to our home console, Wii U has lost momentum due to the release pace of software titles after the launch period. However, just as Nintendo 3DS has been revitalized by consecutive software releases, we believe the basic principle of the video game business is that software sells hardware.

Starting with “Pikmin 3,” we will intensively release our key titles to give sales momentum to the platform beginning in the latter half of this calendar year and into next year.

As we announced yesterday, this is the current first-party release schedule.

We believe that a decisive factor in buying a console is the fact that you cannot play a much-anticipated title without the hardware. In this sense, Nintendo has the advantage of having a strong lineup of first-party titles which cannot be played without our platforms.

With these key titles being released in succession from next month into next year, we believe that we can dramatically improve the situation of Wii U.

When it comes to third-party software, this slide shows a list of games that have already been announced. It is not my position to mention which titles each third-party developer will release in the future. However, more unannounced titles will come. We hope to revitalize the platform with our strong first-party lineup, and then an enriched third-party software lineup will follow.

Also, at the March Game Developers Conference held in San Francisco, we announced to the attending game developers Nintendo Web Framework, which provides a way of developing Wii U software using open web technologies like HTML5 and JavaScript, and the provision of Unity for Wii U.

Since then, we have received great feedback. We have been in contact with more than a thousand parties.

Even though software for dedicated gaming devices has become advanced and complex, we have been working on those new approaches to expand the range of developers for the platform. As digital business expands, there will be even more opportunities for us to do business with small, independent software developers.

Finally, we also announced that I will double as the CEO of Nintendo of America. I believe this will be the best structure to achieve closer cooperation between the headquarters in Japan and Nintendo of America. It will enable faster business decisions in order to achieve the same momentum for Nintendo 3DS as we experienced in Japan. It can also revitalize Wii U and expand our digital business. Under this new management structure, we will make our utmost efforts to meet this fiscal year’s financial forecast.

Nintendo planning to release it's first free to play title before march 31st, of 2014... they say it's not going to be mario or pokemon, or another established franchise, where consumers are willing to pay a full game price already, so I'm expecting a new IP. they also said the game will be balanced, unlike some FtP games out there where some consumers play exorbitant amounts of money (like candy crush saga, where we know a couple people who have spent in the hundreds on powerups and tickets to the next episode, etc.). They want to do this because they want to build a good relationship with it's customers so when the next installment of that IP comes out, people won't mind spending the full game price and it won't need to be in the FtP format.

Personally I like this idea. it lets the teams get creative so they can push out small games with new IPs that normally wouldn't get developed, and then add content to make it a full fledged game, and then release a sequel once it's been proven to be a good IP.

http://t.co/K2PqNu3aCX

more on nintendo's FtP game:

393284036914.0_cinema_960.0.jpeg

Nintendo's first free-to-play game based on Steel Diver, will include multiplayer battles

By Dave Tach on Jun 18, 2013 at 5:42p @dptach

Nintendo's first free-to-play game is based on Steel Diver, Nintendo senior managing director Shigeru Miyamoto told IGN.

Steel Diver was a single-player and multiplayer Nintendo 3DS launch title when the console was released in 2011. The side-scrolling game put players at the helm of a submarine, performing underwater missions. Miyamoto said that the upcoming free-to-play game will include battle-focused multiplayer.

"There is something we're doing with the Steel Diver idea that I think is going to open things up with that game," Miyamoto said.

"It's going to be very fun. We're exploring from a perspective of where we can take that from a multiplayer standpoint — it's going to have this four-player battle mode that I think is going to be very interesting."

Miyamoto did not offer information on platforms or a release date, but that the company is "hoping to be able to show relatively soon."

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata announced last week during E3 that the game would launch this fiscal year, which ends in March 2014.

SOURCE: IGN

i'm going to post this in the 3DS thread as well, seeing as it'll probably be a 3ds game.

the "New Super Mario Bros. U" expansion "New Super Luigi U" is now available for DL. it adds 82 new levels, you can play as the invincible nabbit (instead of Mario) during multiplayer, and players jump higher, and have less traction. it's a 20 dollar expansion available in the e-shop. it'll be available as a physical, stand alone copy later in the year for $30 (and that version will not require new super mario bros u to play).

the "New Super Mario Bros. U" expansion "New Super Luigi U" is now available for DL. it adds 82 new levels, you can play as the invincible nabbit (instead of Mario) during multiplayer, and players jump higher, and have less traction. it's a 20 dollar expansion available in the e-shop. it'll be available as a physical, stand alone copy later in the year for $30 (and that version will not require new super mario bros u to play).

I thought one rumor was some new levels as well? Either way I'm grabbing it as I have nothing left to do in that game.

Archived