The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

• 2 weeks later...

Wii U Is A Powerhouse With HD Capabilities, Says Retro Studios

BY WILLIAM USHER

Wii_U_62554.jpg

It looks like the tide may be turning, with news about the Wii U's potential memory bandwidth being higher than the Xbox One and some rocking games due out this year, Nintendo's latest console is finally starting to break away from the doom and gloom shell, and step out into the light of auspicious and positive perception.

The latest developer to actually talk up the powerhouse capabilities of the Wii U is Retro Studios, who admitted that the console packs a lot more under the hood than the media gives it credit for.

Speaking with GameSpot, CEO Michael Kelbaugh spoke positively about the team's experience working on Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze for the Wii U, stating...

"Unfortunately, the perception is that it's not a very powerful machine," ... "That's just not true. It's a powerhouse. It's more than adequate to make great games on."

"It was really fun being able to crack that open for the first time and learning HD techniques; pixel shading, having a lot more horsepower and how that impacts the team. It was really fun to watch our artists just go crazy because now they didn't really have to worry about polygons anymore. 'Make as many as you want!'"

This seems quite the opposite from the Nintendoom articles from other developers claiming that the system is slow and useless, or all the Nintenhate claiming that the Wii U is only equivalent to last-gen hardware, to which that has been proven untrue.

Nevertheless, this at least proves that the Wii U is still in the running, and with a few killer apps to help pick up sales, I think the Wii U will be a formidable competitor in this eighth generation race.

Sadly, we can't look to third party publishers or many high-profile studios to provide any sort of support for the Wii U, as noted by Airtight Games and Square Enix, who felt that if they couldn't do a lazy shovelware port of Murdered: Soul Suspect it wasn't worth doing for the Wii U. Can't blame them for their honesty.

In the same way, though, if companies keep up the cycle of avoiding the Wii U because they can't do lazy ports, then it's not going to get games to help push sales, and if it doesn't get games to help push sales then it's not going to look very lucrative for developers and publishers to do lazy ports. Hence, the cycle never ends.

However, Retro Studios' Michael Kelbaugh admitted to GameSpot that they're not done with the Wii U, and the gaming website suspects that with the company already working a few months into their next project, we could be getting a new Metroid game out of the studio. Kelbaugh stated...

"We love working with Donkey Kong. It's a great character. It's a lot of fun. We love working with Metroid Prime, with Mario Kart; those are fun, fun games to work on. So, you know, you can't lose," .... "Every one of those IPs have been a lot of fun to play with and work on and [we'd] love to come back to them sometime."

Well, it's good news that the Wii U will at least be getting some new games from trusted developer who understand the value of originality and creativity. I suppose, if you want just the opposite you can stick with all that shovelware that Airtight Games was talking about.

Shoppers has WiiU's for only 199. I am considering getting one, are they priced anywhere cheaper? I was fine with just my Wii but nintendo's pulling the plug on the Wii's internet connection come may and I need my netflicks fix on the tv plus MARIO KART.

Shoppers has WiiU's for only 199. I am considering getting one, are they priced anywhere cheaper? I was fine with just my Wii but nintendo's pulling the plug on the Wii's internet connection come may and I need my netflicks fix on the tv plus MARIO KART.

@*$@($(($*@(* $(@ *)@$ I hope your wrong

@*$@($(($*@(* $(@ *)@$ I hope your wrong

support for the wii was going to end eventually. it's a way to force people to upgrade to the new platform, and it happens to all system eventually.

however, not all apps are affected.

Nintendo has announced that it will end support for its online multiplayer service on the DS and Wii. Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection will shut down on May 20th, meaning that games will no longer work online; offline features, however, will continue to work. Wii apps like Hulu, YouTube, and the built-in browser will also remain unaffected, as will the online store. The announcement comes under a year after Nintendo said it would kill various built-in apps on the Wii.

Although Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection supported popular titles in series like Mario Kart andSuper Smash Bros., the DS and Wii were never seen as a haven for online gaming, partly because they employed an inconvenient system of "friend codes" rather than Xbox Live-style profiles. Late last year Nintendo released a version of the Wii, called the Wii Mini, that removed internet connectivity altogether.

Nintendo of Japan made the Wi-Fi Connection announcement today; The Verge has contacted representatives to confirm that the news applies worldwide.

Update: Nintendo of America and Australia have also confirmed the news.

​I think Netflix IS one of the affected apps though.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Netflix IS one of the affected apps though.

Crap! I have my old Wii, that is broken and can't read discs anymore. But I still keep it in the other room for US Netflix (and the odd DL'd classic game).

That sucks.

Crap! I have my old Wii, that is broken and can't read discs anymore. But I still keep it in the other room for US Netflix (and the odd DL'd classic game).

That sucks.

Just get an Apple TV. Cheap and easy to setup w/ US Netflix. And infinitely more useful than the Wii. However, I do have a hankering to play Star Tropics.

That sucks.

you can transfer everything over to the wii U, plus it allows you to watch netflix on the gamepad if anyone wants to do something else on the TV at the same time.

you can transfer everything over to the wii U, plus it allows you to watch netflix on the gamepad if anyone wants to do something else on the TV at the same time.

Hahahahh... ...spend $300 for that? If I didn't know better, I'd say you were a shareholder of Nintendo!

Besides, the screen on my Note 2 phone and 10" tablet is far superior than the Wii U gamepad.

...All that said, Mario 3D looks like a blast, and I love SSB and Mario Kart. If the price drops, I may consider it one day. It will be nice to have good games that I can still play with my kids around. Outside of hockey and theLittlebigplanets, there's not much to compare on PS3 (and even LBP pales in comparison to the Mario games).

...All that said, Mario 3D looks like a blast, and I love SSB and Mario Kart. If the price drops, I may consider it one day. It will be nice to have good games that I can still play with my kids around. Outside of hockey and theLittlebigplanets, there's not much to compare on PS3 (and even LBP pales in comparison to the Mario games).

It's funny, actually. Even though I don't have kids yet, I have been thinking about the "idea" of purchasing a Wii U. I rarely play my PS3 or XBox 360 anymore. Think I'm just done with "serious gaming" (if that truly is a thing) now. Mario 3D does look absolutely terrific, and the only game my wife wants to play in general is Mario Kart. I just don't want to shell out $300 for 2 games and then have the system sit there like my Wii.

It's funny, actually. Even though I don't have kids yet, I have been thinking about the "idea" of purchasing a Wii U. I rarely play my PS3 or XBox 360 anymore. Think I'm just done with "serious gaming" (if that truly is a thing) now. Mario 3D does look absolutely terrific, and the only game my wife wants to play in general is Mario Kart. I just don't want to shell out $300 for 2 games and then have the system sit there like my Wii.

Yeah, I'm the same. I dropped "serious gaming" a while back - just had a swan song with Last of Us.

But I have no desire to fight a zombie or snipe a headshot ever again. I was even getting pretty sick of Uncharted when I played the 3rd. And even if I did want to, I won't have much opportunity with kids around.

It would be a lot easier of decision if the Wii U had an NHL game, which is pretty much the only thing I play right now. But I guess 15 and maybe even 16 will still come out on PS3, so I'll still be able to play those.

Yeah, I'm the same. I dropped "serious gaming" a while back - just had a swan song with Last of Us.

But I have no desire to fight a zombie or snipe a headshot ever again. I was even getting pretty sick of Uncharted when I played the 3rd. And even if I did want to, I won't have much opportunity with kids around.

It would be a lot easier of decision if the Wii U had an NHL game, which is pretty much the only thing I play right now. But I guess 15 and maybe even 16 will still come out on PS3, so I'll still be able to play those.

Dishonored, Unchartered 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age: Origins. All games I have bought and either never played (Fallout:NV & Dishonored) or never came close to finishing. Just have no interest anymore. Like you, The Last of Us was the last serious game I purchased and got right into. Otherwise, I only have time to play something for about 15-20 minutes before I need to go onto something that actually needs to get done; and that's where the NHL series comes into play. One or two quick 9 minute games and I'm done for the evening.

Dishonored, Unchartered 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age: Origins. All games I have bought and either never played (Fallout:NV & Dishonored) or never came close to finishing. Just have no interest anymore. Like you, The Last of Us was the last serious game I purchased and got right into. Otherwise, I only have time to play something for about 15-20 minutes before I need to go onto something that actually needs to get done; and that's where the NHL series comes into play. One or two quick 9 minute games and I'm done for the evening.

Yeah - I have a couple games like that.

I really enjoyed Batman: Arkham City when I bought it. I was into it for a couple days, and got up to the Mr. Freeze battle. Then, I didn't have time for it for a few weeks. By the time I picked it up again, I had to pretty much learn all the button combinations again. After messing around with it for a while, I just got sick of it, and put it away - haven't touched it since. It's been sitting in a drawer for a couple years now.

Even with The Last of Us, its release and mega-hype just happened to coincide with my wife and daughter going to visit the grandparents for a few days. I had nothing to do, so I bought it, beat it, and traded it in for credit within a few days. I didn't care to play it ever again. It was a very interesting story, and heads-and-tails above other games of its type, but still at its root the game mostly the same old crap.

Archived