The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

Though this got me thinking about my Wii U collection again. I've had the thing for over a year now. I bought essentially 7 games on the day I got it.

Since then my collection has grown to only 10 games. Assassin's Creed IV and Wonderful 101 were released in 2013 though, so the only new game I've bought since then is Super Mario Maker, which even then is something I've had a somewhat muted response to.

Granted I really need to pick up Splatoon (when it's on sale, whenever that will be), but it's been very barren. The only other new release I wanted was released exclusively on the eStore in that $&!#ty fremium model you find on iOS (Fatal Frame).

Everything else is being delayed. Most of new announcement titles that Nintendo released at their poor E3 press conference showing that looked like it ranged from childish to uninteresting to haphazardly designed are showing themselves to be just that so far (though that extends almost entirely to the 3DS, I'm not giving a chance the Animal Crossing Amiibo festival game, even if it's not actually out until Friday.)

I am waiting for Xenoblade Chronicles, and I will still be picking up Mario Tennis, a little hopeful that it will be a fun multiplayer game at least (haven't really enjoyed a Mario Tennis game since the N64 release. Would be nice to have one I could get into.) It's not really a spoil of riches though. I'm picking up these games, and picked up Mario Maker, because that's pretty much all there is out there.

Cz0kAXD.png

Though one cool bit of news is that they actually went through the bother of giving Xenoblade Chronicles X a special edition

Z8rpna4.jpg

It's pretty barren, and pretty pricey (it's $130), but it's nice that it exists all the same. I mean I can pretty much be sure that I won't be buying it, as it costs 10 times more than I will be paying for the base game (as I mentioned above), but I thought it's something to put out there for those interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm excited to get into it. Hearing a rundown like that was good. Can't wait to try that on my own.

Mario Tennis is coming out in two days, so I'll be able to share my feelings on that then.

Apparently that new animal crossing game is just really, really bad. A minigame spin off, but a poor one. 

I'm actually looking at the reviews of Mario Tennis, and they seem to be bad enough that I don't want to buy it any more. The $65 price tag is not the amount for a AAA game at its fullest nowadays with the Candian dollar where it is and all, but that's still a lot of cash for what people seem to be implying was a phoned in effort.

Sounds like it's featureless, unimproved, and just bland at best. Like a weekend rental, if Blockbuster and Roger's Video were still around (or if Willows Video existed outside of Langley and Abbotsford in Vancouver). It doesn't offer something that power tennis and Mario Tennis on N64 didn't already, and it doesn't seem to suggest it has anything to make you come back to it after a few tries of playing it. It's not exactly as if the Wii U is lacking in pick up and play party games for when you have friends and guests over (it's most of what the Wii U offers, really) 

So that will be a review in lieu of my actually owning and putting my own thoughts into it. Doesn't seem worth my money and time to do so. 

On 2015-11-19, 10:29:40, MikeyBoy44 said:

I can't wait for the next big Animal Crossing game. I'm thinking of going back and completing more of my 3ds version.

Yeah, seriously. The 3DS one was great, but to have a big one for the Wii U would be amazing. I still remember so many things I did on the Gamecube version.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone get Xenoblade Chronicles X? Just wondering, as no one seems to be talking about it.

I'm only an hour or two in myself, and am still going through all the tutorials, so I don't have much to say about the actual game yet. Two comments though. One, the art style and cinematics are gorgeous. Simply walking towards the Western Gate at the beginning of the game feels like something out of Shadow of the Colossus. Two, the dialogue options seem utterly pointless. Like someone saw what Western RPGs are doing, and tried to imitate it, without concern for what they're supposed to achieve.

I do look forward to getting more into the game. One thing though is that I still have to finish Fallout 4, and this game hasn't given me any reason to immediately drop doing that and move on before I feel satisfied that I have completed that game first.

Just wanted to make a post on Devil's Third, that really poorly received shooter game that was released around the world earlier in the year, but just got to North America a few days ago.

Nintendo saw how the game was received elsewhere, and really didn't want to make it any kind of point to showcase the game in Canada and the US. Just cut their losses, minimize the release, and bury it so that it doesn't really hurt their brand. The mechanics, the controls, the storytelling, the acting, everything was buried by those that tried it.

Flash forward to the release day, and like I said, Nintendo just hacked the release day prints to satisfy the pre-orders and minimize it's storefront presence. But because of this the game became so rare, it sold out everywhere immediately. Not because of overwhelming demand, but because the supply is nearly non existent.

Now the game is hitting the re-sale scalpers market for like 3X the retail price. It's hilarious. People paying $200 for a $&!#ty game that they aren't even paying for the experience of playing

The game is still available on their e store, at like $74.99, but it's buried behind other titles, and hasn't sold well either, as obviously expected because it's not a good game. It's a "AAA" release, but was neither received nor treated like one.

I was mildly interested in the game when it was first announced, but as the other international releases trashed the game, I put it out of mind. Now I regret not getting it on a discounted pre-order like I did so many other Wii U games. It's not like with the gamecube controller adapter, or certain Amiibo figures that people were hoarding to charge inflated prices to people who actually wanted the damn thing. This is just pointless collecting gone wrong, lol.

I was planning to buy the game out of curiosity when it hit the bargain bin, but it looks like this will never be the case.

Between this game, and releasing Fatal Frame as an estore exclusive under the iOS freemium model, it seems like they really have no issue with people having no idea that that these games exist, despite that they have such a small release library for the console anyways. Though I blame them for what they did to Fatal Frame, I don't with Devil's Third at all (as it was intentional). The result was hilarious.

On 2015-12-08 at 3:36 PM, g_bassi13 said:

Did anyone get Xenoblade Chronicles X? Just wondering, as no one seems to be talking about it.

I'm only an hour or two in myself, and am still going through all the tutorials, so I don't have much to say about the actual game yet. Two comments though. One, the art style and cinematics are gorgeous. Simply walking towards the Western Gate at the beginning of the game feels like something out of Shadow of the Colossus. Two, the dialogue options seem utterly pointless. Like someone saw what Western RPGs are doing, and tried to imitate it, without concern for what they're supposed to achieve.

I do look forward to getting more into the game. One thing though is that I still have to finish Fallout 4, and this game hasn't given me any reason to immediately drop doing that and move on before I feel satisfied that I have completed that game first.

I just haven't bought Xenoblade yet because I don't want to have so many to play at once. I'm still trying to finish Fallout and others, so I didn't see a point in starting Xenoblade. I was going to buy it then just shelf it until I play it, but I might as well just wait until I'm done Fallout to buy it, and it may or may not be cheaper by then.

11 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

I just haven't bought Xenoblade yet because I don't want to have so many to play at once. I'm still trying to finish Fallout and others, so I didn't see a point in starting Xenoblade. I was going to buy it then just shelf it until I play it, but I might as well just wait until I'm done Fallout to buy it, and it may or may not be cheaper by then.

It's not really a "Drop everything and play this" type game, for much as I actually really like it. Like I said, it hasn't given me any reason to stop playing Fallout, which is mainly what I'm still doing. If released at a different point, I'd be much deeper into the story and what not by now.

Definitely worth a pick up, as again, the Wii U library is sparse as all hell if you've already picked up the other essentials.

6 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

It's not really a "Drop everything and play this" type game, for much as I actually really like it. Like I said, it hasn't given me any reason to stop playing Fallout, which is mainly what I'm still doing. If released at a different point, I'd be much deeper into the story and what not by now.

Definitely worth a pick up, as again, the Wii U library is sparse as all hell if you've already picked up the other essentials.

From what I hear it actually takes quite a long time to really get into the story of this Xenoblade. There's a long beginning part before the story really kicks off.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/01/2016 at 10:04 AM, Master Mind said:

Anyone dare to try my level in Mario Maker? See if you can be the 2nd person in history to beat it. Level ID: 2638-0000-0172-F967

If anyone else created a good challenge on there, I'd love to try it.

It says zero clears, but I'm guessing that first person was you, lol.

I got to the end once, but the hammer bro glitches his way off where you want him to stand if you wait and try and pin down his pattern before taking that leap of faith. Instead of lobbing at the beginning of the jump, he's lobbing from the bottom, and it's a near complete blind jump you have to take to get past him. If you had a mushroom I assume there'd be no worry, but I didn't at that point.

I took over an hour trying to beat it, but not necessarily because a part of it was inherently difficult. I just really, really suck at those mushroom music bouncy cloud blocks. Like I'm hilariously bad. All the practice of playing Mario in the world, and I still have to fluke my way past a basic gap of them. I can never get the timing down. So I got such limited tries at the firebreathing cannon section that I was only able to beat that part once (before the hammer bro fell down and waited for me after the jump, like I said)..

I kept trying because I knew it was within my capabilities to beat it, so that's the mark of a good level.

Archived