The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Wii U thread

avelanch

Also, finally got Skyward Sword for Wii. It's pretty awesome, and one of the best things you can get for your Wii U, if you're like me, and for some reason don't already have it.

It's the was the only console Zelda game I was yet to try, and is now the only one I am yet to beat. The motion controls are spot on.

9 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

It says zero clears, but I'm guessing that first person was you, lol.

I got to the end once, but the hammer bro glitches his way off where you want him to stand if you wait and try and pin down his pattern before taking that leap of faith. Instead of lobbing at the beginning of the jump, he's lobbing from the bottom, and it's a near complete blind jump you have to take to get past him. If you had a mushroom I assume there'd be no worry, but I didn't at that point.

I took over an hour trying to beat it, but not necessarily because a part of it was inherently difficult. I just really, really suck at those mushroom music bouncy cloud blocks. Like I'm hilariously bad. All the practice of playing Mario in the world, and I still have to fluke my way past a basic gap of them. I can never get the timing down. So I got such limited tries at the firebreathing cannon section that I was only able to beat that part once (before the hammer bro fell down and waited for me after the jump, like I said)..

I kept trying because I knew it was within my capabilities to beat it, so that's the mark of a good level.

Yes, it was me. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Perhaps I should've boxed the hammer bro in, as I didn't think he could fall that far. (Either that or I should've given another mushroom). The music blocks are the hardest for me as well. Aside from Mario World, I'm never 100% sure on the timing of them.

I hope you gave it a star ;) (Need those to be able to upload more levels lol) and let me know if you've created any courses on there.

9 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

Also, finally got Skyward Sword for Wii. It's pretty awesome, and one of the best things you can get for your Wii U, if you're like me, and for some reason don't already have it.

It's the was the only console Zelda game I was yet to try, and is now the only one I am yet to beat. The motion controls are spot on.

I just beat this game about a month or two ago. The motion controls are pretty good, making it stand out from other 3D Zelda games. I just wish Fi wasn't so annoying most of the time :lol:

On 2016-01-14 at 0:36 AM, g_bassi13 said:

My only gripe is how it looks on an HDTV because it's not an HD game since it's a Wii game. LResolution looks horrible to me.

8 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

My only gripe is how it looks on an HDTV because it's not an HD game since it's a Wii game. LResolution looks horrible to me.

It looks particularly bad. Playing a Wii game on a Wii U on an HDTV looks worse than simply playing a Gamecube game on my Gamecube on the same TV. I don't know what it is that makes that so, but Twighlight Princess for Gamecube looks less choppy, and has less texture filtering issues than Skyward Sword is having for me.

The art style is still fantastic though, and since it's my first time seeing it all I tend to forget that I'm looking at a very poor quality picture.

4 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

It looks particularly bad. Playing a Wii game on a Wii U on an HDTV looks worse than simply playing a Gamecube game on my Gamecube on the same TV. I don't know what it is that makes that so, but Twighlight Princess for Gamecube looks less choppy, and has less texture filtering issues than Skyward Sword is having for me.

The art style is still fantastic though, and since it's my first time seeing it all I tend to forget that I'm looking at a very poor quality picture.

I still haven't finished Skyward Sword. I've had the game since freaking release day, and it's 100% because of the picture. I seem to play it for a few days, then put it down for months.

This has never happened to me with any Zelda games, really. I'm not really the type to not play a game because of graphical quality either, but it is what it is, I suppose.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Anyone grab Twilight Princess HD?

Twilight Princess is probably my second favourite Zelda game, but I'm still really iffy about just picking up HD remakes. I already have the game on GameCube, and I don't think this offers nearly enough for an $80 purchase. If it's a available at a far cheaper sale price down the road, I can see myself playing it as it's a decent way to play a game I loved again. But it's not necessary.

I think Skyward Sword needs this type of remake more than any of the ones they've given it to so far, 3DS or Wii U.

1 hour ago, g_bassi13 said:

Twilight Princess is probably my second favourite Zelda game, but I'm still really iffy about just picking up HD remakes. I already have the game on GameCube, and I don't think this offers nearly enough for an $80 purchase. If it's a available at a far cheaper sale price down the road, I can see myself playing it as it's a decent way to play a game I loved again. But it's not necessary.

I think Skyward Sword needs this type of remake more than any of the ones they've given it to so far, 3DS or Wii U.

completed twilite ptincess on gamecube ,now playing it on wiiu the whole game is a mirrored image with some slight changes to certain outcomes. only paid 50 for the new version.

3 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

I still haven't finished Skyward Sword because of how blurry it looks on an HDTV and I don't really like the controls either.

TP, I do sort of want to buy it. I hear that it looks a lot better, and I wouldn't mind playing it with a regular Wii U Pro Controller either. Not sure I can quite warrant that price yet either, though.

• 5 weeks later...

As a heads up, they re-released pikmin 3 recently under their greatest hits banner or whatever it's called.  It's only $30 now, and it was hard to find afordably in the past given how it was pretty rare.

Edit: that's alongside mario 3d world and donkey kong tropical freeze as well. Just didn't mention them because they were never hard to find. They are permanently cheaper now, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Star Fox came out a couple of days. Response hasn't been very positive. I have to check it out for myself, and I will still purchase it, but damn, it's hard to screw up a Star Fox game, so I'm surprised to hear people suggesting that they did.

One complaint that doesn't surprise me, as it's the exact same one I had when I first heard about it, is that it's just another remake of the first Star Fox game for SNES. Like they re-made it once for N64, (and then ported that to the 3DS for a re-release), and then they've remade it again, almost 20 years later for a 3rd time.

And in between this massive period of over 20 years now, there's been less in terms of sequels than there are remakes. Starfox 2 for the SNES was cancelled, and while it was completed and eventually playable far later due to the leaked prototype, but it was not ever released to the market. Starfox Adventures, while very fun, is not a Starfox game in the spirit or essence that these games were, where it was a literal case of the Starfox licence being slapped across a different 3rd party game that was supposed to have its own IP (Dinosaur Planet).

That means the only real sequels were Starfox Assault, which some could argue is still distracted in certain ways that it shouldn't be with on foot combat (I really liked this game regardless of what people would say), and Star Fox Command which itself still diverts itself from what Star Fox gameplay is traditionally considered to be, and is a pretty mediocre game to boot. 

What did surprise me about the release of this Wii U game, is the complaints about how the tweaks to the controls and the gameplay don't come off well. This is because with whatever complaints I could muster up against Platinum Games and their works, none of it really revolves around gameplay. They do a pretty bang up job with fluid controls that are fun to play around with. Better than most developers out there in that respect, if not near completely all of them.

And i think regardless of how anyone really feels about any of the certain games, including this one, their mismanagement of the series has really driven the momentum of it into the ground completely. They don't have much going for them outside of name recognition and nostalgia when it comes to the series. That probably more than anything is probably what prompted them to remake the same game again for the umpteenth time.

But I think they got it completely backwards when it came to capturing the feel of their big base game. I think rather than take a different spin on the exact same game again, they should have taken the similar classic approach to a different game and story. They haven't tried and followed through on that idea once yet.

On a similar note to series' that continue to disappoint, I was actually happy to hear they were planning to release a new Paper Mario game for the Wii U. For a minute, or like 30 seconds at least, until I saw this trailer:

Paper Mario was fantastic, and the Thousand Year Door for Gamecube even more so. Just brilliant RPG games with the right levels of quirk and storytelling that divided each chapter and story archs. Thousand Year Door just took the original game and cranked it to 11, and not many people remember the game as anything but a classic today.

The following Super Paper Mario for the Wii, and Sticker Star for the 3DS it really feels like they just forgot what made the series what it was. I mean as distractions for what should have been the main series of games they would have been totally acceptable, but the issue is that their is no proper main series, or rather that the main series is now just this series of uninteresting spin offs.

That's why my reaction to the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi Crossover of Paper Jam from earlier in the year was as humdrum as it was. I'm sure it's a decent game, and I like the Mario and Luigi for what it is, but it's another game with the Paper Mario identity that just isn't Paper Mario. 

Now there's a 4th non-Paper Mario game in a row. I mean just watching the small trailer you know what's coming up. It has the aesthetics and the look of a Paper Mario game, but it's inherently different.

I was one of those clamouring for a Paper Mario game for the Wii U, but this does not capture my imagination at all. Without even playing it you can tell what you're going to get. I think the fan response to this video about sums it up. Like with others, I think these repeated entries kind of begin to suck away the hope that the series will ever go back to what it's supposed to be.

The Nintendo Brand, and their holding on their past IP's and working them well is what's keeping Nintendo in the market today, but if they half ass a sizable portion of those properties with these kinds of entries the shine will start to wear off. I mean you shouldn't be giving people any reason to doubt buying a Paper Mario Game, or a Metroid game, or a Star Fox game, when they are part of what are essentially only a few series that are keeping Nintendo afloat and viable. The entries should be pretty automatic pick ups for many.

I don't think they're being lazy or anything, they just seem to be really misguided in their experimentation. Failing to innovate where they should, and taking stabs in the dark where they shouldn't.

I mean they can do it right, and you could look to simple examples like Mario 3D world to see a fresh take on something that feels familiar. It didn't lack much of any creativity, and it did what it did as a 3D Mario platformer. Essentially all Zelda games are another example of how too work a formula while shaking staleness from it.

I don't want to admonish some of these developers for following their muses, and trying different things, but they have to take their audiences and their responses into greater consideration. In this situation, it feels like they're learning nothing with each past entry, treating them like a success to build upon, rather than a failure to examine. This one in particular agitated me more than others, because it feels like the most misguided of all. The only thing that I think would have been harder was to have been a Animal Crossing fan circa the end of last year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2016 at 3:25 PM, g_bassi13 said:

On a similar note to series' that continue to disappoint, I was actually happy to hear they were planning to release a new Paper Mario game for the Wii U. For a minute, or like 30 seconds at least, until I saw this trailer:

Paper Mario was fantastic, and the Thousand Year Door for Gamecube even more so. Just brilliant RPG games with the right levels of quirk and storytelling that divided each chapter and story archs. Thousand Year Door just took the original game and cranked it to 11, and not many people remember the game as anything but a classic today.

The following Super Paper Mario for the Wii, and Sticker Star for the 3DS it really feels like they just forgot what made the series what it was. I mean as distractions for what should have been the main series of games they would have been totally acceptable, but the issue is that their is no proper main series, or rather that the main series is now just this series of uninteresting spin offs.

That's why my reaction to the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi Crossover of Paper Jam from earlier in the year was as humdrum as it was. I'm sure it's a decent game, and I like the Mario and Luigi for what it is, but it's another game with the Paper Mario identity that just isn't Paper Mario. 

Now there's a 4th non-Paper Mario game in a row. I mean just watching the small trailer you know what's coming up. It has the aesthetics and the look of a Paper Mario game, but it's inherently different.

I was one of those clamouring for a Paper Mario game for the Wii U, but this does not capture my imagination at all. Without even playing it you can tell what you're going to get. I think the fan response to this video about sums it up. Like with others, I think these repeated entries kind of begin to suck away the hope that the series will ever go back to what it's supposed to be.

The Nintendo Brand, and their holding on their past IP's and working them well is what's keeping Nintendo in the market today, but if they half ass a sizable portion of those properties with these kinds of entries the shine will start to wear off. I mean you shouldn't be giving people any reason to doubt buying a Paper Mario Game, or a Metroid game, or a Star Fox game, when they are part of what are essentially only a few series that are keeping Nintendo afloat and viable. The entries should be pretty automatic pick ups for many.

I don't think they're being lazy or anything, they just seem to be really misguided in their experimentation. Failing to innovate where they should, and taking stabs in the dark where they shouldn't.

I mean they can do it right, and you could look to simple examples like Mario 3D world to see a fresh take on something that feels familiar. It didn't lack much of any creativity, and it did what it did as a 3D Mario platformer. Essentially all Zelda games are another example of how too work a formula while shaking staleness from it.

I don't want to admonish some of these developers for following their muses, and trying different things, but they have to take their audiences and their responses into greater consideration. In this situation, it feels like they're learning nothing with each past entry, treating them like a success to build upon, rather than a failure to examine. This one in particular agitated me more than others, because it feels like the most misguided of all. The only thing that I think would have been harder was to have been a Animal Crossing fan circa the end of last year.

The last good or at least decent Paper Mario game was Super Paper Mario IMO. The story was great and the gameplay was OK but it wasn't Paper Mario. But Sticker Star, outside of it's amazing soundtrack lacks any characters, doesn't have an engaging story and the battle system was screwed over. Colour Splash just looks like a downright insult to the Paper Mario fanbase though... What a terrible trailer...

I didn't post about it in this thread, so it's too late for a PSA, but humble bundle had another Nintendo bundle for some of their indie games.

I really only wanted it for "Freedom Planet", and "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse". So there was a lot of fluff. The fluff itself was better than the fluff from the last bundle, but it's not stuff I will likely waste too much time with either way. If both of those games were in the first tier it would have been easy enough to pay a dollar or whatever for it, but Freedom Planet meant I had to pay for that tier two regardless, and it only unlocked at the price of $9+ because the average price people were paying for the bundle was so damn high. 

That was because Street Fighter IV for the 3DS and Darksiders 2 for the Wii U were at a $13 third tier. Which sucked. I added the extra $4 for them at that point, but because I don't use my Wii U or 3DS for digital games, neither have any storage beyond the default that Nintendo provides. Darksiders 2 required wiping out a bunch of things to fit on my console, and Street FIghter is a complete non-starter unless I buy a new SD card for my 3DS, and I'm not going to waste my money on that, so I ended up wasting my money on the game. The kicker is that after the large download, I don't like Darksiders 2 at all. Seems like a game of minimal substance, that's iterative of so much that came before it, that seems to be trying way too hard to be "cool."

In total, I got about 12 games for those $13. but it's not exactly a discount if you're counting things you never wanted or would never have paid for in the first place (or can't even play at all, technically). They're all of high production quality though, at the very least.

Freedom Planet and that Shantae game are both top notch though. So I'm not really upset or anything. Truly great games.

edit: It's not that different from the last bundle where I spent $10 and the only thing I played enough of was Guacamelee. Which is also a fantastic game.

Archived