Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Transformers Prime
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Wipeout: The Game 3
ZombiU
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#482 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

that's the launch day lineup

most of the hardcore games right now are ports.
Posted Image

#483 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,348 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

that's the launch day lineup

most of the hardcore games right now are ports.

albeit upgraded ports/with all the extra content, plus more, in most cases. Also, it's not exactly a negative thing if you don't own the game on another console yet.

#484 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

albeit upgraded ports/with all the extra content, plus more, in most cases. Also, it's not exactly a negative thing if you don't own the game on another console yet.

I get the feeling that avelanch is actually a Nintendo PR rep in real life.

Posted Image

#485 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

"Upgraded/extra content" doesn't really sell me on anything. It's not that I expect failure, just that they don't seem to be roaring out of the gate with the approach that I was hoping to see.

The problem with the "hardcore" business model for Nintendo is that people aren't going to buy it to play CoD or Mass Effect. I hope they don't buy too much into this idea that it will only be recognized as a "real" console if it appeals to hardcore gamers. I would much rather see digital downloads of Mother or Pokemon games than Call of Duty. That's the sort of thing that would make me think "hey, this Wii U might be a cool thing to buy."

#486 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,348 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

well those things are coming in the future, you can't expect everything out of the gate.

#487 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

well those things are coming in the future, you can't expect everything out of the gate.

Didn't say I was. A strong launch does make for better sales/reputation, though. People have short attention-spans. If the video-game industry were an MTG tournament, Nintendo would have a deck full of "nostalgia" cards and I feel like in the past few years they just haven't been playing them as much as they could.

#488 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Didn't say I was. A strong launch does make for better sales/reputation, though. People have short attention-spans. If the video-game industry were an MTG tournament, Nintendo would have a deck full of "nostalgia" cards and I feel like in the past few years they just haven't been playing them as much as they could.

This analogy. I like it.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#489 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,651 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Lp

#490 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,348 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

MTG????

And this launch lineup is one of the strongest of any console in the last decade. I'm confused as to what you were expecting besides all the franchises with new games from day 1.

#491 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

MTG????

And this launch lineup is one of the strongest of any console in the last decade. I'm confused as to what you were expecting besides all the franchises with new games from day 1.

Magic the Gathering.

Majority of the launch titles are either just ports, or it's games that won't necessarily adhere to the hardcore gamers.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#492 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

MTG????

I have already said that my expectations will be met or not when more games come out. The launch lineup doesn't really appeal to me.

Out of curiosity, which titles are you (or anyone reading this) most excited for? I'm not trying to prove that the lineup is bad; I'd just like to hear what the biggest draw is for people. I don't feel that there is anything there for me.

#493 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,348 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

Zombi u, new super Mario brothers u, call of duty black ops 2, scribblenauts unlimited, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, and I'm a sucker for the warriors games so I'll probably get Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper. I have never played a mass effect game so I may get me3, and I'll get assassins creed 3 eventually too.

#494 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Cool, cool. Yeah, I'm not saying the games are bad. There just isn't that "one" game that I really want yet. When there are a few, I'll definitely be getting a Wii U, but not until I feel like I can get as much out of it as I do from the consoles I have.

#495 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

I see a mix of some promising looking games, along with some really abysmal ones... So the same as pretty much any console launch, especially of late. The major difference being that there are a hell of a lot of ports to go along with everything else. And again, with those ports I see some good titles, along with some very lame and even horrible ones.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#496 Mr.Mulletandbars

Mr.Mulletandbars

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

I am not sure if Nintendo is held to a different standard or something but if you look at the past launches of other consoles there have always been many ports and not the quantity and quality in my eyes of this launch. I will be picking up NSMB U and Zombi U which are both exclusives and very appealing to me.
Also will be picking up Assassins Creed and BLOPS and I cant understand where all this bashing comes from as people ask for the big 3rd party titles and they bring them and still not good enough. Just think about this, if you can get the best of the 3rd party AAA and all first party Nintendo games on 1 console....Thats a pretty good deal.

#497 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

As many people have said already, most launch titles for new systems are fairly week, and this one is no different. The only game that looks remotely interesting to me is ZombiU. However, unless ZombiU is rated to be a must own game (a perfect 10 by reviewers), then I will not be buying a system right away.

I'm one of those nerds that has all 3 consoles, but literally have not touched the Wii in about 3 years. I bought the XBOX 360 about 3 months after launch. I waited to purchase the PS3 until the Blu-Ray/HDDVD war was over, as that was the only reason I wanted one.

If people remember, it took about 2 years after the PS3's launch for them to release any games actually worth going out to purchase a PS3 for. The WiiU will be no different. Yes, they have Mario, but that franchise releases a game every 3 months. Once they release a new Zelda or Metroid, then more people will buy one. I just feel that Nintendo is going to lose the next wave a console wars by a large, large margin. Large.

Large.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#498 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,496 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

i would love to see an hd remake of super metroid or a game in that style not like metroid other m when you had to switch back and forth between first person and third person to shoot missiles

#499 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,496 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

I still have a Wii from launch, and a Gamecube from launch, an old "fat" PS2, a DS, an XBOX 360 and my PC (so technically also an SNES). Even if all three major next-gen consoles came out next week, I have so much gameplay available to me that I wouldn't worry about the fact that I need to spend my money on tools rather than video-games. I still haven't played Earthbound through, Final Fantasy X, XII, Okami, Skyward Sword ect., so I'm not really worried about having access to what is not a very interesting launch library to me. There's nothing superior to the games I listed available on the Wii U right now.

The only games I'm much interested in at all on that list I already intend to get on Steam. I'm not a Call of Duty player, but my younger brother is, and we both feel that Black Ops 2 doesn't hold much promise. I'm going to school out of town in January so I decided to start playing CoD on Steam (despite the fact that it's not at all my style and I'm awful at it) as a way of hanging out with my brother. Most people I know play the series socially, and the Wii U will not have any draw on that crowd because a group of five people who play CoD together aren't going to buy a $400 console each just to play on a different platform.

I want the Wii U to do well, but my expectations will be determined by games that come out post-launch.

well like most people have said already most consoles and you can look back all the way to the nes usually have just one stand out game for launch and the better games usually don't hit til 1-2 years after the console release nintendo is notorious for doing this

#500 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,348 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

well like most people have said already most consoles and you can look back all the way to the nes usually have just one stand out game for launch and the better games usually don't hit til 1-2 years after the console release nintendo is notorious for doing this

everyone is notorious for doing this.

#501 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,875 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

As many people have said already, most launch titles for new systems are fairly week, and this one is no different. The only game that looks remotely interesting to me is ZombiU. However, unless ZombiU is rated to be a must own game (a perfect 10 by reviewers), then I will not be buying a system right away.

I'm one of those nerds that has all 3 consoles, but literally have not touched the Wii in about 3 years. I bought the XBOX 360 about 3 months after launch. I waited to purchase the PS3 until the Blu-Ray/HDDVD war was over, as that was the only reason I wanted one.

If people remember, it took about 2 years after the PS3's launch for them to release any games actually worth going out to purchase a PS3 for. The WiiU will be no different. Yes, they have Mario, but that franchise releases a game every 3 months. Once they release a new Zelda or Metroid, then more people will buy one. I just feel that Nintendo is going to lose the next wave a console wars by a large, large margin. Large.

Large.

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling too.

I've been watching things with the Wii U closely, because I was thinking of picking up some Nintendo stock. (Funny how motivations change in adulthood.) But this launch has "let-down" written all over it, and the Wii U as a whole has the potential for total disaster.

How so? Looking at the ads and such, there is very little buzz about the Wii U, especially compared to the Wii. The thing with the Wii is, it was completely new. It brought something totally innovative to gaming, that appealed to almost everyone - even people who had never played a video game. That got people's attention. The huge "Wii Fit" craze brought even more sales to people who wouldn't normally bother, and kept the ball rolling for a while.

The thing with Wii U is, nothing stands out. The nondescript name makes it sound like just another Wii game - especially with all the "Wii __" games out there. The picture ads make it seem like it's either a peripheral for Wii, or a new handheld device like the Nintendo DS or PS Vita. Most people I talk to who are not informed gamers have no idea what it is, what it does, or when it is coming.

And even for those who do know, there seems to be very little interest among casual gamers. Other than more Mario and Zelda games and a bit better graphics, what makes it worth shelling out more money for? The controller with a screen will appeal to some gamers looking for a more complex, immersive experience...but for casual gamers, it just makes things more confusing (the exact opposite of what made the Wii so popular).

And the ability to play solely on the screen of said controller? That may have been a great idea 3 years ago, but we all have phones and/or tablets that already do that, with hundreds/thousands of games available for a fraction of the price.

There's also the timing. With the struggling economy, and so many people interested in the similarly-priced tablets, I see problems with Christmas sales. Many will hold out for a while longer, allowing XBox and Sony to release more advanced systems that most hardcore gamers will favor.

A while ago, I thought Nintendo stock at $15-16 was a can't-lose scenario. I mean, it's Nintendo - it's not like they're going to implode or something, right? But now I'm not so sure. Wii U may surprise and be a resounding success...but I wouldn't bet on it.

The next couple of years have to potential to end Nintendo as we know it. They'll obviously always have a foothold in game development, but consoles?
Posted Image

#502 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Well right now there are ports but eventually i think developers will start developing games together for all three systems.
Posted Image

#503 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

http://www.gamespot....oft-ceo-6399936

pfft fail
Posted Image

#504 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Definitely. I don't claim that the Wii U launch is worse than any other launch. I just have a lot of good games to play on other consoles, so the launch isn't quite good enough for me to buy a Wii U at launch. It would have to be obscenely good for that.

#505 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

http://www.gamespot....oft-ceo-6399936

pfft fail

What is the basis for that statement? The Wii (which has weak hardware and caps out at 480i/p, not to mention EXTREMELY limited internal storage) launched at $50 less than the Wii U. The XBOX 360 (plagued with hardware failures and general fragility) cost $150 more than the Wii U at its own launch if you wanted decent storage space, while the Playstation 3 at minimum specs cost $50 more than the 360.

Add to all this that the Wii U runs 1080p natively (something that the 360 and PS3 cannot do), and all you are left with is a head full of f***

#506 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

What is the basis for that statement? The Wii (which has weak hardware and caps out at 480i/p, not to mention EXTREMELY limited internal storage) launched at $50 less than the Wii U. The XBOX 360 (plagued with hardware failures and general fragility) cost $150 more than the Wii U at its own launch if you wanted decent storage space, while the Playstation 3 at minimum specs cost $50 more than the 360.

Add to all this that the Wii U runs 1080p natively (something that the 360 and PS3 cannot do), and all you are left with is a head full of f***

That's the most pathetic statement I've ever heard from Ubisoft, especially since they've been supported Wii U for so long. Even a PSVita costs $250.

Edited by Bob Singh, 15 November 2012 - 04:23 PM.

Posted Image

#507 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

That's the most pathetic statement I've ever heard from Ubisoft, especially since they've been supported Wii U for so long. Even a PSVita costs $250.

I'd probably be more likely to get a PS3 or Vita than a Wii U right now, but STILL. I get that he was trying to appeal to pretty much everyone in the sense that $350 is a considerable ding for most people, but it just isn't comparatively expensive. May as well just say gaming is too expensive and blow up the entire industry.

#508 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,348 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

http://www.polygon.c...ge-test-gamepad

in low wireless activity areas the gamepad can extend beyond 100 feet from the console, and that distance COULD be increased through the use of repeaters or range extenders, since the gamepad uses a special form of 802.11N Wi-Fi that could "include a few neat surprises".

the 26 feet max range nintendo reports is the "worst case scenario" that should cover 99.9% of all gaming experiences, and most should be able to reach beyond that range.

The tech would even theoretically support extending the GamePad's use well outside the house, say to a local Starbucks, through Wi-Fi.

Edited by avelanch, 16 November 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#509 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

I'd probably be more likely to get a PS3 or Vita than a Wii U right now, but STILL. I get that he was trying to appeal to pretty much everyone in the sense that $350 is a considerable ding for most people, but it just isn't comparatively expensive. May as well just say gaming is too expensive and blow up the entire industry.

lol

http://www.polygon.c...ge-test-gamepad

in low wireless activity areas the gamepad can extend beyond 100 feet from the console, and that distance COULD be increased through the use of repeaters or range extenders, since the gamepad uses a special form of 802.11N Wi-Fi that could "include a few neat surprises".

the 26 feet max range nintendo reports is the "worst case scenario" that should cover 99.9% of all gaming experiences, and most should be able to reach beyond that range.

The tech would even theoretically support extending the GamePad's use well outside the house, say to a local Starbucks, through Wi-Fi.

thats really good news
Posted Image

#510 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

Well right now there are ports but eventually i think developers will start developing games together for all three systems.

This.^ Finally Wii will have a system that plays with the big boys. So many games are Xbox/PS3/PC only . Time to hook that 4th wheel to the gaming wagon.

EDIT: Doesnt the console release today or is that only in the US or something?

Edited by Offensive Threat, 18 November 2012 - 01:38 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.