#541 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

GamePad Distance Issues

Another issue brought to light on Neogaf, but according to some users carrying the Wii U’s GamePad as little as 12 feet away from it can cause the signal to fade and will apparently lose signal at 15 feet.
One of the Wii U’s biggest selling points, the ability to play big screen games on a small screen (while you’re no doubt in bed), this ability is apparently severely limited.

Wooowwww...this is a huge fail on Nintendo's part. Add in the other problems, and this console is doomed.

Eventually, the biggest coup in the gaming world will be when Nintendo stops making consoles. Then Microsoft and Sony will battle it out for Nintendo's game development. Whichever one adds Mario/Zelda/etc. to their lineup will score a huge advantage.
Posted Image

#542 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

OP, please don't kill the messanger...

http://www.gamespot....ardware-6400507

The Shortcomings of the Wii U Hardware

November 21, 2012 6:12PM PST
Peter Brown, Editor

The Wii U introduces exciting innovations to the world of console gaming, but a clunky OS and a concoction of cheap hardware sully its potential.

Nintendo's Wii U is finally available, but whether or not it's been able to deliver the sort of "next-gen" experience many are waiting for is another story. Without the proper suite of software, a console's hardware may not be used advantageously. Conversely, weak hardware can hamper any given software's potential in the end. The Wii U falls into both of these traps. It's not a system without merit, but there are too many missed opportunities, and unfortunately, the time to address these issues may have already passed.

Hard Drive Space vs. System Software

The Wii U's system software is a hog. After installing a hefty day-one update, owners of the 8GB Wii U are left with roughly 3GB of internal storage. This is problematic for a few reasons. While there may have been some assumption on the part of customers that a portion of their internal storage would go to the operating system, losing over half of their free space (in the case of the 8GB model) is a bit much. Nintendo may have given some warning ahead of time, but burying the details within a FAQ on its support site hardly constitutes fair notice.
Posted Image
The Wii U's operating system takes up over half of the Basic Set's available memory.

It's also curious that Nintendo would issue an update so large that it prevents some of its customers from purchasing digital copies of games such as Nintendo Land from the eShop.

Bloated, Sluggish Operating System

Outside of dissecting the entire file structure of the OS, or even Nintendo's compression methodology, you can superficially judge the "weight" of software by its load times. That said, opening or exiting the Wii U's Settings application takes 12 to 14 seconds, which is unacceptable by any measure. Why should system software take up so much hard drive space and require such lengthy load times if the only assets being loaded are simply images, text, and a few sound effects? Something doesn't add up.

External Storage Limitations

If you're feeling light on space after the update, you're likely considering the addition of a thumb drive or external hard drive. It's known that the Wii U supports such additions, but less apparent are the associated limitations.

Posted Image

It begins with the USB ports on the Wii U. At USB 2.0, they're severely outdated; the 3.0 standard has been in use for three years and is hardly cutting edge itself. Nintendo has never pushed the envelope tech-wise, but going with USB 2.0 is a gross misstep. Not only does it operate at a fraction of the speed provided by USB 3.0, but it only allows a device to draw a maximum of 500 mA of current per port. USB-powered hard disk drives built on the 3.0 specification require upward of 900 mA.

Promisingly, USB 3.0 is backward compatible, meaning that 3.0 based devices will function, but transfer data at slower speeds, when connected to a USB 2.0 port. Customers who want to add a modern USB 3.0 external drive to their Wii U need to buy one with a dedicated power source, or purchase a USB Y-splitter cable, which would allow a USB (3.0) powered drive to draw power from two ports at once. USB-powered external drives are an invaluable convenience, so it makes sense to go with the latter option despite the requirement of an additional purchase (a y-splitter). If Nintendo wanted to accommodate modern tastes and expectations, upgrading the USB ports, or at least including a y-splitter, would have been an easy win. As it stands, the internal storage of any Wii U is already laughable compared to other consoles, and it doesn't help that the solution to said issue only highlights the shortcomings of something as simple as a USB port.

The Innovative, Lackluster GamePad

There's no question that the GamePad redefines expectations of what a game controller can be. It's also true that, for the most part, Nintendo has done a good job with the software side of things, exemplified by the inclusion of the universal remote application. Sadly, none of these factors make up for the paltry components built into the GamePad, which will ultimately prevent Nintendo from taking full advantage of its potential.

The first culprit is the screen. For whatever reason, Nintendo is sticking by its preference for stylus-centric, resistive touch panels. Compared to the universally preferred capacitive panels used in modern mobile devices, resistive-based touch screens are built for deliberate strokes, not the gestures or multi-touch inputs that make devices like iPads and even Vitas so user-friendly. You can use a finger to interact with the GamePad's screen, but other flaws linger. Light touches don't always register properly, and the input resolution of the screen hampers games such as Darksiders II, which relies on small icons to represent individual items in your inventory.
Posted ImagePosted Image

One of these things is not like the other.

At least the Wii U is capable of streaming video to the GamePad, allowing you to play games like New Super Mario Bros. U without the use of a TV. The physical range afforded by the Bluetooth radio in the GamePad hovers around 30 feet at best, which may be enough for most people, but it would be an entirely different story if the signal were carried over Wi-Fi instead. The problem is that it will never happen with the current iteration of the GamePad, which lacks a built-in Wi-Fi radio. Outside of a Bluetooth signal extender, let's call it the Wiipeater, the only way we'll ever experience true remote gaming on the GamePad is with a new hardware revision.

Wi-Fi may have been omitted in the current version due to the associated parts and manufacturing costs, but it could also be related to the GamePad's puny battery life. Currently, you're lucky if you get four hours of use before having to recharge the GamePad. People are already complaining about the battery life, just a few days into the system's life span, so don't be surprised if you see a third-party manufacturer release a higher-capacity battery in the near future.

Transferring Wii Content

We're lucky that Nintendo allows customers to transfer content from their Wiis to begin with, but the process is ultimately cumbersome due to the Wii U's DRM requirements.

It's complicated: connect a Wii and a Wii U to the Internet, register an SD card online to your Wii U, copy your Wii data to the same SD card, and then copy the data from the SD card to the Wii U. This is facilitated by the Wii Transfer Tool, which must be installed on each system.
Posted Image
Are you having fun yet?

As it stands, the current process only accounts for items installed to your Wii's system memory, meaning that anything on the SD card in the Wii must be copied to the system, or redownloaded, before transferring. What's worse, the Wii menu on the Wii U only allows you to use the same amount of internal memory as the Wii, even though the Wii U has considerably more available. That means you'll still have to use the SD card to store WiiWare and Virtual Console games that don't fit within the 512MB allotted. Also, once you transfer any software from a Wii to a Wii U, your Wii will never again be able to use that license to play the software.

At the end of the day, it's rare that hardware manufacturers are able to include every feature under the sun at an affordable price. The Wii U does many things well, but so much of its promise is lost on the inferior tech in the GamePad and the console. It will be interesting to see how these are addressed down the road, but at the moment, it seems that the Wii U is anything but next-gen tech. Is it unrealistic to expect Nintendo to do more than simply innovate? Its intent came from a good place, but the result leaves a lot to be desired.

#543 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

the gamepad is wifi, not bluetooth... the company that developed the technology stated as such.

so much misinformation running around...

#544 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Wooowwww...this is a huge fail on Nintendo's part. Add in the other problems, and this console is doomed.

Eventually, the biggest coup in the gaming world will be when Nintendo stops making consoles. Then Microsoft and Sony will battle it out for Nintendo's game development. Whichever one adds Mario/Zelda/etc. to their lineup will score a huge advantage.

Wasn't surprised there would be a flaw.

Should have just stayed at the roots of video game systems and not be "innovative".
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#545 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Wasn't surprised there would be a flaw.

Should have just stayed at the roots of video game systems and not be "innovative".

That would ignore the whole reason Wii was successful.

If anything, their failures seem to stem from trying to please all types.
Posted Image

#546 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

im still buying it

#547 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

im still buying it

I'd wait if I were you... Early adopters of any consoles usually get the short end of the stick.

Except Xbox users... They get a free Xbox for ten years of service...

http://imgur.com/a/sg6hh

Edited by (>'-')>, 22 November 2012 - 10:09 PM.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#548 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

I want a free Xbox :(

#549 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm aware that it is probably due to the fact that I'm just a lot older than I used to be, but there is just nothing appealing to me about the WiiU.

When the next wave of Playstation and XBox consoles come out, I will also hold off for quite a while before I even think of purchasing the system, so I know that I'm pretty much out of the "hardcore" gaming category. However, that also means that I may be entering the "casual" gamer category. If that's the case, isn't that what Nintendo is known for? Because the WiiU, as has been stated so many times, has no identity nor do Nintendo know who they are actually catering to.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#550 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Lp

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#551 î мцšт вяздк чфµ

î мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

lets face it, the wii u was released earlier than future xbox or playstation because it sucks balls in comparison and nintendo would've lost out in its sales at that point so they rushed the crap out of it to release it before the other next gen. consoles.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#552 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

This came out with such little fanfare it was easy to forget that it even existed.
Shame to see Nintendo going this way, loved my N64 and to a lesser extent my Gamecube.
Slightly considered getting a Wii before playing it at my friends wore the novelty off. Had zero desire to get the Wii U.
Posted Image

#553 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

This came out with such little fanfare it was easy to forget that it even existed.
Shame to see Nintendo going this way, loved my N64 and to a lesser extent my Gamecube.
Slightly considered getting a Wii before playing it at my friends wore the novelty off. Had zero desire to get the Wii U.

Going what way? It's sold out everywhere.

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#554 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

original stock sold out day one, restocking less than a week later, sold out immediately as well. nearly half a million sold within the first week, and their sales are only limited by how fast they can get the consoles to market.

yup, it's gonna be a failure everyone.

#555 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

[img]http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/O3z42l8JXzHJPWRX6NJ_Dw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-CA/blogs/rightclick/wiimini.jpg[/img]

http://ca.news.yahoo...-160913856.html

In a rare Canadian exclusive, Nintendo announced today that it will be launching a miniature version of its Wii console, the Wii Mini, ahead of the holiday season on December 7th.
For $99, Canadians will be able to pick up the Wii Mini in matte black with a red border and matching red controller and nunchuck. The console is "designed exclusively to play Wii games" BGRreports, so no backwards compatibility with GameCube games like the full-sized Wii, which has been on the market in North America since 2006.
[ Related: Wii U debuts with some issues, but its biggest obstacles are yet to come ]
In fact, the only games the Wii Mini will play are hard-copy Wii games. The Wii Mini has no Internet connectivity, which means no Virtual Console games or download-only titles, as well as no online features in other games.
Having said all that, though, this low-priced move could prove extremely beneficial to two key groups: families who found the original Wii too cost-prohibitive, and gamers who never bought into the Wii because of the lacking library for the "hardcore" crowd.
[ Holiday tech gift guide: Five hot video games for teen and adult gamers ]
While the Wii has been largely panned as having catered more to the casual gamer crowd over Nintendo's loyal fanbase, for $99, it's the perfect opportunity to try out some of the gems that have been released for the Wii. At such a low price point, gamers don't need to feel like they need to invest much in order to play the great titles that did emerge from this generation of gaming. Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, both Super Mario Galaxy games, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, The Conduit, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey and Trauma Team would be just a few of my personal suggestions. And with a library of over 1,300 (as Nintendo claims), there are at least a couple of others that might convince you to pick up a Wii Mini.

Edited by vancanfan, 27 November 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#556 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Posted Image

http://ca.news.yahoo...-160913856.html

technically not a wii u, and it's canada only, it'll be interesting to see how it sells.

Edited by avelanch, 27 November 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#557 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

technically not a wii u, and it's canada only, it'll be interesting to see how it sells.

Yeah I know, just didn't want to start a thread though and this thread is similar, so.

#558 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Yeah I know, just didn't want to start a thread though and this thread is similar, so.

i think there is a wii thread somewhere... but i think it's archived now.

#559 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

original stock sold out day one, restocking less than a week later, sold out immediately as well. nearly half a million sold within the first week, and their sales are only limited by how fast they can get the consoles to market.

yup, it's gonna be a failure everyone.

What a scary direction.
I bet the execs at Nintendo are sweating bullets heading in the path of success.

#560 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Don't forget Pokemon games, it's number two all time in sales behind Mario. Of course the Call of Duty franchise is quickly catching up and another GTA game is about to be released.

#561 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

What a scary direction.
I bet the execs at Nintendo are sweating bullets heading in the path of success.

This April Nintendo announced that for the first time in company history they was at a loss for the year. Including a $350mil loss in the last 6 months.

Not to mention that the Wii U only sold 400k units in NA its first week, while the original Wii sold 600k.
Nintendos goal for total Wii U sales is 5.5mil by the end of March. By March 2007, the Wii sold 5.84mil.
Unless the sales pace in the rest of the world is significantly stronger for the Wii U then it was for the Wii then they will fall short of that target as well.

http://arstechnica.c...3ds-wii-demand/
http://arstechnica.c...n-xbox-360-ps3/

Edited by Jägermeister, 27 November 2012 - 08:20 PM.

Posted Image

#562 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

This April Nintendo announced that for the first time in company history they was at a loss for the year. Including a $350mil loss in the last 6 months.

Not to mention that the Wii U only sold 400k units in NA its first week, while the original Wii sold 600k.
Nintendos goal for total Wii U sales is 5.5mil by the end of March. By March 2007, the Wii sold 5.84mil.
Unless the sales pace in the rest of the world is significantly stronger for the Wii U then it was for the Wii then they will fall short of that target as well.

http://arstechnica.c...3ds-wii-demand/
http://arstechnica.c...n-xbox-360-ps3/

Hi.
You can't sell more than the inventory you provide. They sold out. As in they sold every last unit. As in they weren't able to sell 600k because they didn't have 600k units.
I'm aware of the companies losses. The first in 30 years.
This happened while the wii u wasn't out, I don't see the correlation?
I own an Xbox. I'm not even arguing for nintendos sake, rather common sense.

#563 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hi.
You can't sell more than the inventory you provide. They sold out. As in they sold every last unit. As in they weren't able to sell 600k because they didn't have 600k units.
I'm aware of the companies losses. The first in 30 years.
This happened while the wii u wasn't out, I don't see the correlation?
I own an Xbox. I'm not even arguing for nintendos sake, rather common sense.

They sold out of Wiis at 600k as well. For months most places didn't have any in stock, I remember people saying it was near impossible to find.
Right now, my local Future Shop has a full shelf of Wii U, and from what I've heard, many other stores still have them in stock. Some people have to look around, but most are successful in finding one. Nintendo saying that retailers are completely out of stock is a PR move, as there is most certainly Wii U available.
IMO and many others, the Wii was gimmicky and the novelty wore off quickly (I have 3 friends who bought it, within 6 months they were all collecting dust), and I know for a fact none of them will be getting a Wii U. Many others feel the same way.

What I said still stands, the Wii U will have to sell at a better pace from now until March then the original Wii did, and that I don't see that happening.

As for the losses, I never said it had anything to do with the Wii U, it has to do with the company.
I'm not saying they are doomed to fail, but they are most certainly no longer the company they used to be.
Posted Image

#564 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

^^^
"Selling out" is most certainly a PR move, and has become common in the gaming industry.

Nintendo knows how many units to make so that they will just come short of meeting demand. The fact that they released a full 1/3 less than they did the original Wii shows they expected significantly less demand for the U.

Like I mentioned earlier, the demand for Wii only grew as untouched markets for gaming (middle-aged to elderly) realized what it could do. I don't see that happening for the U, as there is nothing innovative being offered that will appeal much to non-gamers.
Posted Image

#565 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

^^^
"Selling out" is most certainly a PR move, and has become common in the gaming industry.

Nintendo knows how many units to make so that they will just come short of meeting demand. The fact that they released a full 1/3 less than they did the original Wii shows they expected significantly less demand for the U.

Like I mentioned earlier, the demand for Wii only grew as untouched markets for gaming (middle-aged to elderly) realized what it could do. I don't see that happening for the U, as there is nothing innovative being offered that will appeal much to non-gamers.

or their production factory had a massive fire and they lost a number of units and were forced to reduce the number of units they could release...
http://www.gonintend...story&id=187506

then again, as the old adage goes:
Posted Image

#566 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

http://www.nowgamer....went_wrong.html

the wii u web browser is very fast actually.

http://www.nowgamer...._light_dev.html

Moreover, this guy pretty much sums up my thoughts on the console.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LZzX0lDyNI

Nintendo seems to be having an identity crisis here. They just can't seem to figure out if they are going to appeal to the causal or to the hardcore. The gamepad gimmick just doesn't cut it for the casual in my opinion and there are not enough third-party games to cater to the hardcore.

Game budgets are getting ever more expensive for the high-end consoles that Nintendo is not going to keep up with development cost to churn out first-party AAA titles one after another. Eventually they'll have to rely on third-party developers to shoulder the burden, but I just can't see any incentive for the budget-tight publishers to take such a risk. There is a reason why Rockstar is cautious about making games for the Wii U. They have a reputation to uphold and their games are very, very expensive to make. For example, it cost them 80-100 million to make Red Dead Redemption which makes it one of the most expensive games ever made, and they just refuse to port it to PC because they claim it's not finacially viable.

yeah the wii u has a cpu 1.2 GHz. but its a newer technology that is designed to use less power. Developers will have to get used to the new tech.
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#567 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Why you can't read too much into the Wii U's "slow" clock speed
Comparing raw numbers just doesn't work when measuring consoles' relative power.

by Kyle Orland - Nov 29 2012, 3:30pm PST
Posted Image
An image from a Nintendo teardown shows the heart of the Wii U.
Nintendo
Remember the days when your idiot friends would argue with you in the schoolyard about how "blast processing" made the Sega Genesis a better system than the Super Nintendo? Or how the Nintendo 64 was twice as good as the Sony PlayStation because it had twice as many "bits"? Or how the Wii's processor was no better than "two GameCubes stuck together"? Here in our new, enlightened age, I thought we had left such context-free numbers games behind like so many other childish arguments.\

But no, in 2012 people are apparently still obsessing over how a single spec number makes one console wholly better or worse than another. Today's bit of myopic number-crunching is based on the findings ofWii hacker (and now purported Wii U hacker) Hector Martin, who last night tweeted claims that he had discovered the previously unknown clock speeds for the Wii U's tri-core PowerPC 750 processor (about 1.24GHz) and the AMD Radeon-based GPU (about 550MHz).

The Wii U's CPU clock speed number is indeed lower than the Xbox 360's 3.2GHz clock (although the 360's gets halved to a functional 1.6GHz when multithreading) or the PS3's 4GHz clock. The GPU clock speeds are more comparable across the PS3, the Xbox 360, and the Wii U. Still, plenty of reporters jumped on that fact as undeniable evidence that the Wii U hardware is actually inferior to that of consoles that came out years ago.

"For the most part, this means that the Wii U is under-powered compared to the seven-year-old Xbox 360 and the six-year-old PS3," VentureBeat wrote of the clock speed finding (with a few caveats). "One would have at least hoped for tech that surpassed current consoles, even if only by a small margin," a Forbes writer declared. "I honestly can’t believe what I’m reading here," a GamingBolt writer hyperventilated. Discussions on countless message boards and online forums are even more hyperbolic concerning the importance of the clock speed comparison.

Of course, comparing two consoles with vastly different architectures and internal chips is not nearly as simple as just seeing which one has the higher clock speed. Things like the number of computer instructions per clock cycle, the bandwidth of the RAM bus, and the overall efficiency of the architecture are at least as important as the raw clock speed at which a processor runs.

So how does the Wii U measure up when all that is taken into account? It's a bit unclear. In further tweets, Martin suggests that comparing the Wii U to older HD systems is like comparing a Pentium 4 to a Pentium 3. While the Pentium 4 was capable of much higher clock speeds than its predecessor, the Pentium 3 was much more efficient when running at the same clock speed.

Similarly, the Wii U's support for out-of-order execution and its shorter pipeline lets it operate more efficiently, doing more per clock cycle than systems like the PS3 and Xbox 360, Martin says. Then again, Martin also points to a lack of hardware threading and "weak SIMD" on the Wii U that hurt that relative clock-to-clock performance.

Rather than comparing numbers, though, it's sometimes better to just see how two systems handle the processing required for the same game. On that score, my basic tests of the console using a bunch of Wii U ports found them to be graphically indistinguishable from the PS3 and Xbox 360 games they were based on, with comparable fidelity and smoothness. More detailed examinations of the Wii U's launch ports found graphical performance that was comparable to that of other systems, though not really improved over the previous versions. Those examinations suggest that the Wii U's relatively beefy (for a console) 1GB of game RAM and powerful graphics processor are being held back by a relatively weak CPU and slow RAM bus, creating a system that is basically the processing equal of the PS3 and Xbox 360, thus far.

Of course, these are launch-day ports of games originally designed for other systems, so rushed developers may not have had the time to devote to substantially tuning and improving the performance for the Wii U hardware. In general, graphical fidelity and observable performance of a system's games only improves as the system gets older and developers get a better handle of how to best tailor their games to its specific hardware.

Still, it doesn't speak well of the Wii U's processing power that we have yet to see a game that really performs markedly better than anything we've seen on other current consoles. If the system can't manage that feat, it risks being quickly overshadowed by much more powerful hardware expected from Sony and Microsoft in the next year or so.

Regardless, one thing is clear in all of this: those pointing to clock speed as the end-all, be-all proof that the Wii U is not powerful enough are not considering the whole picture. As Martin himself tweeted, "So yes, the Wii U CPU is nothing to write home about, but don't compare it clock per clock with a 360 and claim it's much worse. It isn't."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/why-you-cant-read-too-much-into-the-wii-us-slow-clock-speed/

#568 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

^^^
So, in other words, the Wii U is not worse than your 7 year-old XBox...but it's not better either.

That's not good news for Wii fans, Av.
Posted Image

#569 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

no, it's better, we just don't know by how much yet, because there are no games maxing it out to compare against. if the launch titles are on par (or in some cases, better) than last gen, it only going to get better as devs get used to the system.

#570 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Last Saturday and I went Christmas shopping and decided to pop in at EB Games (Winnipeg). Not only did they have Wii U consoles for sale, but they had 20 available. I started chatting with the sales girl to pass time, and she asked if I would like to buy a Wii U. When I said no, she said, "Please buy one. We have had 20 sitting here since Wednesday and nobody has bought one yet."

I understand that not all markets are the same, but when the Wii came out, it took forever to find one. Not a good sign for Nintendo at all.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.