The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Honzik Talk

b3.

The Eagles lost to the same team 4-1 with their other goalie the night before too.

It doesn't seem to matter who's in net for that team, 4 goals against seems to be the standard. I really hope they trade him to a better team at the deadline. It's his last season in the Q anyways, no point going down with a sinking ship.

Honzik allowed 5 goals on 41 shots for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in a 5-1 loss to the Acadie-Bathurst Titan today. Obviously 5 goals is a lot to allow, but when you still make 36 saves in the effort it's not like you had a terrible game.

It'll be interesting to see how he performs in the AHL or ECHL next year when he goes pro. Even if he hasn't been a stud this year, it would be prudent of the Canucks to still sign him. With Luongo likely moving on from Vancouver, every goalie in the organization will move up a notch and you need to constantly keep goaltending prospects in the rotation, in my opinion.

Next season:

NHL: Schneider, Lack

AHL: Cannata, Honzik/veteran

ECHL: Honzik??

Junior/College/Europe: Nadda!

We traded the 60th overall pick (Mario Lucia) for the 71st (Honzik) and the 101st (Labate). Lucia is a Minnesota native which may explain why the Wild wanted the pick, but interestingly enough Lucia played the following year in the BCHL scoring 42 goals, 93 points in 56 games.

I hated the Honzik pick at the time and I hate it more even now. Labate was an ok pick (sucks to see his decline this season though). Here are 60, 61, and 63rd picks.

- Mario Lucia - 6'3 centre with great speed and scoring touch. 10 points in 9 games this year playing for Notre Dame

- Shane Prince - 5'11 centre who posted 88 points in 59 games in the OHL during his draft year. 6 goals in 21 AHL games this season.

- Andrey Pedan - 6'4 defenseman with 9 goals, 26 points in 33 games in the OHL this season along with 84 PIM.

Unfortunately those three guys are blowing the door off of the guys we drafted that year. Even in the 4th round, Garrett Noonan a 6'2 DEFENSEMAN scored 16 goals in 38 games for Boston College last year.

Honzik is putting up abysmal numbers (coming off of injury, but even last year he was bad), Labate has 5 points in 15 games good for 7th on his team.

Corrado was a huge win and I think Jensen will pan out, but it seems unfortunate that we traded down when there was some solid talent drafted near that spot.

Honzik allowed 5 goals on 41 shots for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in a 5-1 loss to the Acadie-Bathurst Titan today. Obviously 5 goals is a lot to allow, but when you still make 36 saves in the effort it's not like you had a terrible game.

It'll be interesting to see how he performs in the AHL or ECHL next year when he goes pro. Even if he hasn't been a stud this year, it would be prudent of the Canucks to still sign him. With Luongo likely moving on from Vancouver, every goalie in the organization will move up a notch and you need to constantly keep goaltending prospects in the rotation, in my opinion.

Next season:

Next season:

Honzik is a raw talent like lots of European goalies that come over here. He clearly has good athletic ability, he just needs a goalie coach to help him harness his talents.

From what I've seen of him play, it comes down to positioning. He's a very agressive goalie, which seems to put him out of position. He seems to love to make the big saves, which can be a detrement to some goalies games.

We'll know alot more in his first season in the AHL. I know right now he's looking like a waste of a third round pick, but there's no reason to write him off yet.

We traded the 60th overall pick (Mario Lucia) for the 71st (Honzik) and the 101st (Labate). Lucia is a Minnesota native which may explain why the Wild wanted the pick, but interestingly enough Lucia played the following year in the BCHL scoring 42 goals, 93 points in 56 games.

I hated the Honzik pick at the time and I hate it more even now. Labate was an ok pick (sucks to see his decline this season though). Here are 60, 61, and 63rd picks.

- Mario Lucia - 6'3 centre with great speed and scoring touch. 10 points in 9 games this year playing for Notre Dame

- Shane Prince - 5'11 centre who posted 88 points in 59 games in the OHL during his draft year. 6 goals in 21 AHL games this season.

- Andrey Pedan - 6'4 defenseman with 9 goals, 26 points in 33 games in the OHL this season along with 84 PIM.

Unfortunately those three guys are blowing the door off of the guys we drafted that year. Even in the 4th round, Garrett Noonan a 6'2 DEFENSEMAN scored 16 goals in 38 games for Boston College last year.

Honzik is putting up abysmal numbers (coming off of injury, but even last year he was bad), Labate has 5 points in 15 games good for 7th on his team.

Corrado was a huge win and I think Jensen will pan out, but it seems unfortunate that we traded down when there was some solid talent drafted near that spot.

Honzik followed up yesterday's 5 goal against effort with 4 goals against on 27 shots today for Cape Breton in a 4-0 loss to the Moncton Wildcats. He only played for 47:26 of the game, while Philippe Trudeau played the remaining 12:34 and stopped 5 of 5 shots in relief.

Of note: According to the Screaming Eagles website, Philippe Trudeau was just traded to Val D'Or for 16 year old forward Timothe Simard and a 2013 4th round draft pick. I guess that means that Honzik will take the reins completely in net for the Screaming Eagles from here on out.

http://www.capebretoneagles.com/article/screaming-eagles-trade-trudeau-to-val-d-or

Honzik followed up yesterday's 5 goal against effort with 4 goals against on 27 shots today for Cape Breton in a 4-0 loss to the Moncton Wildcats. He only played for 47:26 of the game, while Philippe Trudeau played the remaining 12:34 and stopped 5 of 5 shots in relief.

Of note: According to the Screaming Eagles website, Philippe Trudeau was just traded to Val D'Or for 16 year old forward Timothe Simard and a 2013 4th round draft pick. I guess that means that Honzik will take the reins completely in net for the Screaming Eagles from here on out.

http://www.capebreto...eau-to-val-d-or

Honzik had a pretty good game for the Screaming Eagles, stopping 33 of 36 shots in a 3-1 loss to the Acadie-Bathurst Titan. He has faced a grand total of 92 shots in his last 2 games. Crazy.

My thinking is that if Honzik ends the year with a high GAA but a solid Save%, he's worth the Canucks investing more time and resources in. I feel like real project goalies are taken in the 6th and 7th rounds, like Morgan Clark. Honzik was taken in the 3rd round so methinks the Canucks won't discard him so easily.

Archived