The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Honzik Talk

b3.

Honzik allowed 2 goals on 12 shots in the first period of Cape Breton's 7-0 loss to the Blainville-Broisbriand Armada. Backup Alex Bureau took over from Honzik at the beginning of the 2nd period. The Eagles website didn't give any specific reason for why Honzik didn't play the rest of the game, only stating that he left the game following the 1st period.

I'm assuming it's an injury. Tough break for David.

So if he ends up having an okay year, with decent stats (marred by bad numbers from earlier in the season) do you guys think MG will try to give him the Red Bull treatment and have him play a year in Europe to see how he does, if they can find a spot for him?

That, or the ECHL. Assuming Luongo gets dealt and Lack becomes the back-up to Schneider, we'll probably see Cannata and Climie (or a different AHL vet goalie) in the AHL, which means Honzik will get a spot elsewhere. Of course, there's always the possibility that Honzik has a strong camp and earns an AHL spot but I think it's safe to assume, especially if Cannata continues his strong play, that Cannata will be the man between the pipes on the farm team.

Considering the back up allowed 8 goals to a pretty middle of the pack team like PEI, you really have to consider just how bad the team is in front of him. I don't think any of us can really judge his play without watching him because statistically his team may just be the most brutal in the entire CHL. A goalie can only do so much

Archived