The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Honzik Talk

b3.

I don't know why people are mad at this pick, he was incredible in the playoffs for the Tigres. Make no mistake about it, that team isn't in the playoffs nevermind getting to the 2nd round and giving the powerhouse Sea Dogs all they could handle.

Brilliant pick, we have goalies but we all know one is going to be traded, and honestly after Schneider and possibly Lack it's not very impressive.

How ironic, i said in another thread here a month ago or so that i thought we should draft him laugh.gif He seems to be a big goalie that is fast for his size. He definitely has potential. Thought we could have got him later, but im happy smile.gif

I can't stand all the posters knocking Gillis for this pick based on team needs. Unless we drafted top 3, none of these players will fill our current needs, and not have a shot at the lineup for another 4-5 years, who knows where Luongo and Schneider will be at that point. You guys just come off as uneducated idiots posting crap about this choice.

Having depth at ALL positions shouldn't be frowned upon. It's not like Honzik will be with the Canucks next year, pushing Schneider to be traded or anything. This guy will take lots of time to develop yet, so why not? What's wrong with depth at ALL positions?

Hopefully he can pan out.

I agree, i was reading an article in yahoo sports, and they had an all-steal team of this draft and Honzik was considered the steal for goalies. I saw the highlight package of him and man, the comparisons are not far off from Pekka Rinne, his lateral movement is insanely fast, and has a remarkable glove hand. He struggled during the season, but when it came to the playoffs, he upped his game to the point he was the only one keeping the tigers in it until they lost out to the Seadogs. I guess Honzik had to adjust to N. American style, from what i've seen and read, he does have the athletism but he's a bit raw, i'd like to see Rollie get his hands on this guy and get to work with him, and we might have found ourselves a gem.

he hadn't had a goalie coach until this past season... and after he got used to his teachings he turned it on. that team never deserved to be in the playoffs, nevermind make it through the first round.

Guest Dasein

VERY excited to see Honzik play next season in the Q.

He had to adjust to not only playing a NA-style game but NA life as a 17 year old living away from home by himself. Looks like he adjusted well after a while and was very solid in the playoffs.

I've been saying it for a while - we need to draft a solid goaltender this season, or trade Schneider for a young, elite goaltending prospect. This is for the future - both Schneider and Lack are going to enter their prime before Luongo deteriorates - so both will leave our club via trades or FA to be a starter on another NHL club.

Honzik will be the goaltender of the future. Mark my words.

VERY excited to see Honzik play next season in the Q.

He had to adjust to not only playing a NA-style game but NA life as a 17 year old living away from home by himself. Looks like he adjusted well after a while and was very solid in the playoffs.

I've been saying it for a while - we need to draft a solid goaltender this season, or trade Schneider for a young, elite goaltending prospect. This is for the future - both Schneider and Lack are going to enter their prime before Luongo deteriorates - so both will leave our club via trades or FA to be a starter on another NHL club.

Honzik will be the goaltender of the future. Mark my words.

Guest Dasein

He'll be 30 when Luongo's contract runs out. Not sure a player will want to wait that long to have the definite role as a starter (I do realize that by this time Luongo probably won't be the starter anymore, but other elite goalies have done as much).

We do have goaltending depth mind you, with Schneider, Lack, Cannata, and Ilahti

Luongo's not playing his entire contract out. He'll retire around 40 or earlier, and will be a backup to Honzik for 1-3 years before he retires. For those 1-3 years, it is likely that we'll have Honzik at a bargain similar to Schneider's contract, allowing us to swallow Luongo's cap as a backup for 1-3 more years before we give Honzik that big time contract that Luongo has - if he deserves it.

Archived