The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Honzik Talk

b3.

I'm really hoping that somehow we can hold onto Lack so he can take over as a starter. The guy's a hoot and one of the nicest guys I ever met (never mind talented). When he steps into Schneider's role I hope he sticks around for a couple years and starts to transition into a net-sharing role and eventually takes over. I also feel that when the first out clause hits the canucks may ask him to take it (or he might volunteer to take it), meaning it would be right in time for Lack to step into the big show (4 years until Lou can ask for a trade, 6 years until the canucks can ask him to waive) by then lack would have been our backup/co-starter for 3-5 years and should be ready to take over, with Honzik ready to step into a backup role.

Guest Dasein

Pretty agressive... Slides out of his crease a lot. Kinda reminds me of Raycroft in his time here.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple things that I've learned with the few videos I've seen:

-He really, really covers the bottom of the net well.

-Very quick lateral movement and can get the pads extended in a flash

-Quick glove hand

A few unanswered questions (not bad, simply I don't know):

-Rebound control

-Stick handling

-Puck handling

-Reading the play

-Recovery (2nd save)

My first impression is he is more of an artistic than a technical goalie. He seems to accomplish a lot with speed, reflexes and acrobatics. But he's also very flexible and I can't believe how far he can get his pads extended so quickly. He does seem to recover quickly, but most of the highlight saves he seems to commit to the first save. But he is also quick to get ready again, so it's to be seen if that's fast enough for the NHL.

In a way he is the counterpart of Schneider who's strength is his form and technical ability. I am interested to see where his development takes him.

Addendum: Ok, watch the highlight video again and tell me that doesn't look like Luongo.

A couple things that I've learned with the few videos I've seen:

-He really, really covers the bottom of the net well.

-Very quick lateral movement and can get the pads extended in a flash

-Quick glove hand

A few unanswered questions (not bad, simply I don't know):

-Rebound control

-Stick handling

-Puck handling

-Reading the play

-Recovery (2nd save)

My first impression is he is more of an artistic than a technical goalie. He seems to accomplish a lot with speed, reflexes and acrobatics. But he's also very flexible and I can't believe how far he can get his pads extended so quickly. He does seem to recover quickly, but most of the highlight saves he seems to commit to the first save. But he is also quick to get ready again, so it's to be seen if that's fast enough for the NHL.

In a way he is the counterpart of Schneider who's strength is his form and technical ability. I am interested to see where his development takes him.

Addendum: Ok, watch the highlight video again and tell me that doesn't look like Luongo.

Guest Dasein

This kid's quickness blows Luongo out of the water!!

Maybe when Luongo was in Florida he was this quick, but ever since his groin problem a couple years ago he isn't this quick and never will be again, period.

Dude, Luongo was 100X faster than Honzik when he was in Florida, and even when he was with us prior to his groin injury.

There's a reason why he was the highest goaltender ever taken in a draft at the time (4th overall - DiPietro and MAF have since surpassed him, being drafted 1st overall).

Luongo never gets the respect he deserves on this board...He's an amazing goaltender and the best that the Canucks have ever seen.

Guest Dasein

2011-2012:

Starter - Luongo (32)

Backup - Schneider (25)

Lack = 23

Cannata = 21 (final year at Merrimack College)

Iilahti = 19 (final year in WHL)

Honzik = 18

Offseason - Schneider signs an offer sheet as a RFA and leaves the Canucks organization - we lose one goaltending prospect, and need a backup goalie who can play 20+ games behind Luongo - re-sign Eddie Lack to Schneider $ for 2 years

2012 - 2013:

Starter - Luongo (33)

Backup - Lack (24)

Cannata = 22 (AHL/ECHL - 1st year ELC)

Iilahti = 20 (AHL/Overage season in WHL)

Honzik = 19 (final year in QMJHL)

2013 - 2014:

Starter - Luongo (34)

Backup - Lack (26)

Cannata = 23 (AHL/ECHL - 2nd year ELC)

Iilahti = 21 (AHL/ECHL - 1st year ELC)

Honzik = 20 (AHL/ECHL/Overage season in QMJHL - 1st year ELC)

Offseason - Lack is now at the age that Schneider was when he left to become a starter on another team. Lack signs an offersheet as a RFA and leaves the canucks organization - we lose one goaltending prospect, and need a backup goalie who can play 20+ games behind Luongo

2014 - 2015:

Starter - Luongo (35)

Backup - Cannata (24) - 3rd year ELC

Iilahti = 22 (AHL/ECHL - 2nd year ELC)

Honzik = 21 (AHL - 2nd year ELC)

Offseason - Cannata's ELC expires. Does not show the level of play that Schneider and Lack showcased, and re-signs a 2 year deal at Schneider $ to back up Luongo

2015 - 2016:

Starter - Luongo (36)

Backup - Cannata (25)

Iilahti = 23 (AHL - 3rd year ELC)

Honzik = 22 (AHL - 3rd year ELC)

Offseason - re-sign Honzik to a 3 year deal, and Iilahti to a 2 year deal

2016 - 2017:

Starter - Luongo (37)

Backup - Cannata (26)

Iilahti = 24 (AHL)

Honzik = 23 (AHL)

Offseason - Cannata re-signs as a UFA to be a backup. Honzik is ready to contend for a NHL starting job. Iilahti does not hold much promise.

2017 - 2018:

Split-start - Luongo (38), Honzik (24) - Luongo mentors young Honzik as they split games according to performances - Luongo gets the call in the playoffs

Cannata = 27 (AHL/Picked up on waivers)

Iilahti = 25 (AHL)

Offseason - Iilahti's contract expires. Offer Iilahti minimum contract, but he opts for Europe

2018 - 2019:

Starter = Honzik (25)

Backup = Luongo (39)

Offseason - Luongo calls it quits, after 13 seasons as a Canuck and 19 seasons in the NHL. He leaves as the all-time leader in Canucks organization for all categories for goaltenders, and two Stanley Cup rings. Honzik re-signs to a starting goaltender's wage of the NHL market in 2019.

IDEALLY, this is how I see things to pan out. Luongo is the goaltender of the franchise, and will be a starter until he is 37. By then, 3 of our goaltender prospects, Schneider, Lack and Cannata all reach and pass the coming-of-age for young goaltenders (25-26) and leave the team to pursue a starting job elsewhere.

The Canucks enjoy a long tenure by Luongo, followed up by the latest goaltending prospect who enters his prime at 25, like those before him, and just so happens to reach that age at the right time when Luongo is about to retire. This lucky man is Dave Honzik - he'll have one of the best mentors to learn the game from and will become the goaltender of the future for the Canucks.

Obviously, there is next to 0% chance of the above happening exactly as is. Completely fictional, if you will. But as you can see, goaltending prospects come and go, especially when you already have a starter signed for the next decade. Having a stable starting goaltender means that we need to constantly draft goalies each year to be the "next" guy whenever Luongo is ready to retire - that could be 35 - if so, Lack will be ready to step in. That could be 38 - if so, Honzik will be ready. That could even be the end of Luongo's contract, which means a goaltender prospect who we take in the next 1-3 years will be ready to step in.

We need a constant stream of goaltending prospects to be ready to go once Luongo steps down. We're preparing for any time our starter falters, we'd have the next guy ready to go, at any given year. That's depth.

Honzik is so intriguing because he's bigger and more skilled than Cannata and Iilahti. Not only that, he will come of age at the most opportune time, when Luongo is 37-38 (Right now, Brodeur is 38 - he looks like he is ready to step down - and Luongo will probably have the same career curve).

I expect Gillis to continue drafting a goalie each year for 2 - 3 years from now. And if the BPA happens to be goalie, we have to take him. That's just the way it is.

• 1 month later...

Well, he played his first year in North America last year, didn't do too well, but he only played 36 games. He should be more comfortable next year in the Q, as it'll be a familiar experience as he can just relax now. He just needs to work on things is all, nothing a little development can't hurt.

He did however, play better in the playoffs, as his GAA went down to 3.28GAA from 3.54 GAA in the Regular Season , and his SV% went up to .919% from his Regular Season stats as he had a .884SV%.

Things are looking up for him IMO.

Archived