265 replies to this topic

#181 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

I believe Honzik needs to be signed by June.

Which is not happening.

#182 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Honzik lost to the Mooseheads today in the battle of Nova Scotia. Can't really blame him though.

He stopped 17/18 in the first, 12/13 in the second and 5/6 in the third (they scored 1 on an empty net). Eagles lost 4-1.

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#183 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,703 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

The Eagles lost to the same team 4-1 with their other goalie the night before too.

It doesn't seem to matter who's in net for that team, 4 goals against seems to be the standard. I really hope they trade him to a better team at the deadline. It's his last season in the Q anyways, no point going down with a sinking ship.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#184 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Yeah and the bad part is he is on a terrible team so he is looking worse than he is, then we probably won't sign him so he won't even get a chance to prove himself with a decent team.

zackass.png

#185 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yeah and the bad part is he is on a terrible team so he is looking worse than he is, then we probably won't sign him so he won't even get a chance to prove himself with a decent team.

that's why you don't draft long term project goalies. by the time they prove their worth, they will be 27-30 and playing for some other team. complete waste of a pick.

#186 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hopefully he steps it up, he has all the tools.

Maybe if he can't put up more respectable #'s we can make a descision on him, I haven't given up on him yet but being on a terrible team won't help him.

zackass.png

#187 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Honzik allowed 5 goals on 41 shots for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in a 5-1 loss to the Acadie-Bathurst Titan today. Obviously 5 goals is a lot to allow, but when you still make 36 saves in the effort it's not like you had a terrible game.

It'll be interesting to see how he performs in the AHL or ECHL next year when he goes pro. Even if he hasn't been a stud this year, it would be prudent of the Canucks to still sign him. With Luongo likely moving on from Vancouver, every goalie in the organization will move up a notch and you need to constantly keep goaltending prospects in the rotation, in my opinion.

Next season:

NHL: Schneider, Lack

AHL: Cannata, Honzik/veteran

ECHL: Honzik??

Junior/College/Europe: Nadda!

Edited by NuxFan09, 04 January 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#188 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,494 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

We traded the 60th overall pick (Mario Lucia) for the 71st (Honzik) and the 101st (Labate). Lucia is a Minnesota native which may explain why the Wild wanted the pick, but interestingly enough Lucia played the following year in the BCHL scoring 42 goals, 93 points in 56 games.

I hated the Honzik pick at the time and I hate it more even now. Labate was an ok pick (sucks to see his decline this season though). Here are 60, 61, and 63rd picks.

- Mario Lucia - 6'3 centre with great speed and scoring touch. 10 points in 9 games this year playing for Notre Dame
- Shane Prince - 5'11 centre who posted 88 points in 59 games in the OHL during his draft year. 6 goals in 21 AHL games this season.
- Andrey Pedan - 6'4 defenseman with 9 goals, 26 points in 33 games in the OHL this season along with 84 PIM.

Unfortunately those three guys are blowing the door off of the guys we drafted that year. Even in the 4th round, Garrett Noonan a 6'2 DEFENSEMAN scored 16 goals in 38 games for Boston College last year.

Honzik is putting up abysmal numbers (coming off of injury, but even last year he was bad), Labate has 5 points in 15 games good for 7th on his team.

Corrado was a huge win and I think Jensen will pan out, but it seems unfortunate that we traded down when there was some solid talent drafted near that spot.

Edited by canucklehead44, 04 January 2013 - 08:47 PM.

Sig too big.

#189 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Honzik allowed 5 goals on 41 shots for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in a 5-1 loss to the Acadie-Bathurst Titan today. Obviously 5 goals is a lot to allow, but when you still make 36 saves in the effort it's not like you had a terrible game.

It'll be interesting to see how he performs in the AHL or ECHL next year when he goes pro. Even if he hasn't been a stud this year, it would be prudent of the Canucks to still sign him. With Luongo likely moving on from Vancouver, every goalie in the organization will move up a notch and you need to constantly keep goaltending prospects in the rotation, in my opinion.

Next season:

I think he is better than people give him credit for, if he was on a better team he would be alot more liked around here.

zackass.png

#190 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Next season:

I'd rather the canucks pull another Lack style move where they sign a free agent instead of signing honzik. He just isn't good enough to be worth 1/50 contracts available or to be taking starts away from Lack or Cannata. Yes people talk about all the things he could be, but he hasn't shown anything to deserve it. If he wasn't a draft pick, would he still be good enough to warrant a 3 year commitment? I could see him on a PTO with an ECHL club, but that's it. The Canucks would be better served signing a European/NCAA free agent and or drafting a goalie in 2013, someone like Eamon Mcadam, Eric Comrie, a 2nd tier guy in the draft that can get a lot of time to develop into a quality player(Not Fucale as he'll be taken early where a skater would be more beneficial for the organization).

Bring Back the Totems!

#191 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,381 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Looks like the Blues got the better goalie in the third round with Binnington.
Posted Image

#192 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,703 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Honzik is a raw talent like lots of European goalies that come over here. He clearly has good athletic ability, he just needs a goalie coach to help him harness his talents.

From what I've seen of him play, it comes down to positioning. He's a very agressive goalie, which seems to put him out of position. He seems to love to make the big saves, which can be a detrement to some goalies games.

We'll know alot more in his first season in the AHL. I know right now he's looking like a waste of a third round pick, but there's no reason to write him off yet.

Posted Image

#193 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

We traded the 60th overall pick (Mario Lucia) for the 71st (Honzik) and the 101st (Labate). Lucia is a Minnesota native which may explain why the Wild wanted the pick, but interestingly enough Lucia played the following year in the BCHL scoring 42 goals, 93 points in 56 games.

I hated the Honzik pick at the time and I hate it more even now. Labate was an ok pick (sucks to see his decline this season though). Here are 60, 61, and 63rd picks.

- Mario Lucia - 6'3 centre with great speed and scoring touch. 10 points in 9 games this year playing for Notre Dame
- Shane Prince - 5'11 centre who posted 88 points in 59 games in the OHL during his draft year. 6 goals in 21 AHL games this season.
- Andrey Pedan - 6'4 defenseman with 9 goals, 26 points in 33 games in the OHL this season along with 84 PIM.

Unfortunately those three guys are blowing the door off of the guys we drafted that year. Even in the 4th round, Garrett Noonan a 6'2 DEFENSEMAN scored 16 goals in 38 games for Boston College last year.

Honzik is putting up abysmal numbers (coming off of injury, but even last year he was bad), Labate has 5 points in 15 games good for 7th on his team.

Corrado was a huge win and I think Jensen will pan out, but it seems unfortunate that we traded down when there was some solid talent drafted near that spot.

It's become very apparent that the Canucks scouting department is inept. If Gillis is as smart as we all think he is, he will make the necessary changes going forward.
:towel:

#194 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Honzik followed up yesterday's 5 goal against effort with 4 goals against on 27 shots today for Cape Breton in a 4-0 loss to the Moncton Wildcats. He only played for 47:26 of the game, while Philippe Trudeau played the remaining 12:34 and stopped 5 of 5 shots in relief.

Of note: According to the Screaming Eagles website, Philippe Trudeau was just traded to Val D'Or for 16 year old forward Timothe Simard and a 2013 4th round draft pick. I guess that means that Honzik will take the reins completely in net for the Screaming Eagles from here on out.

http://www.capebreto...eau-to-val-d-or

#195 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,703 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Honzik followed up yesterday's 5 goal against effort with 4 goals against on 27 shots today for Cape Breton in a 4-0 loss to the Moncton Wildcats. He only played for 47:26 of the game, while Philippe Trudeau played the remaining 12:34 and stopped 5 of 5 shots in relief.

Of note: According to the Screaming Eagles website, Philippe Trudeau was just traded to Val D'Or for 16 year old forward Timothe Simard and a 2013 4th round draft pick. I guess that means that Honzik will take the reins completely in net for the Screaming Eagles from here on out.

http://www.capebreto...eau-to-val-d-or

Good. Honzik is not the reason why they're losing games.

If he was really that bad, the coach would not keep playing him. The team in front of him seems to be in a rebuilding stage.

Posted Image

#196 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Good. Honzik is not the reason why they're losing games.

If he was really that bad, the coach would not keep playing him. The team in front of him seems to be in a rebuilding stage.

Yeah it's unfortunant for him that his team is so bad, so he looks worse than he is.

I'm kinda hoping we sign him cause I think he is better than he has shown but I know we probably won't.

zackass.png

#197 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Still not a fan of having taken him so early, but give him time. Just wish we could pick up goalies via free agency (like Lack) instead of having to invest a mid-round pick on them.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#198 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Honzik allowed 7 goals on an unreal 56 shots against for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in a 7-0 loss to the Gatineau Olympiques. It was a weird game, though, as it appears there were only 16 players on the Eagles bench.

#199 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Honzik had a pretty good game for the Screaming Eagles, stopping 33 of 36 shots in a 3-1 loss to the Acadie-Bathurst Titan. He has faced a grand total of 92 shots in his last 2 games. Crazy.

My thinking is that if Honzik ends the year with a high GAA but a solid Save%, he's worth the Canucks investing more time and resources in. I feel like real project goalies are taken in the 6th and 7th rounds, like Morgan Clark. Honzik was taken in the 3rd round so methinks the Canucks won't discard him so easily.

#200 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

My thinking is that if Honzik ends the year with a high GAA but a solid Save%, he's worth the Canucks investing more time and resources in. I feel like real project goalies are taken in the 6th and 7th rounds, like Morgan Clark. Honzik was taken in the 3rd round so methinks the Canucks won't discard him so easily.

I also agree, I think it is unfair as he has had some great moments in his Junior career, and he has had some good one's on this terrible Cape Breton team.

I think we should give him another shot, and not jump the gun with this.

zackass.png

#201 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Honzik allowed 2 goals on 12 shots in the first period of Cape Breton's 7-0 loss to the Blainville-Broisbriand Armada. Backup Alex Bureau took over from Honzik at the beginning of the 2nd period. The Eagles website didn't give any specific reason for why Honzik didn't play the rest of the game, only stating that he left the game following the 1st period.

I'm assuming it's an injury. Tough break for David.

#202 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

In relief of goalie Alex Bureau, Honzik played 32:19 and stopped 15 of 16 shots faced in a 6-3 Cape Breton loss to the Moncton Wildcats. Bureau allowed 5 goals on 22 shots in the first 27:41 of the game.

#203 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Honzik had himself a great game, stopping 32 of 33 shots for Cape Breton in a 2-1 shootout loss to the Saint John Sea Dogs today.

#204 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Nice to see Honzik finally picking up the pace again. Starting to break out of that sticky situation he was in.

2moy3iq.png

#205 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

he has raw potential. cape breton is a crap shoot. im interested to see what pro goalie coaches can do for him.

#206 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Has been lights out for Cape Breton the past few games... 1.26 GAA along with a .957% sv in his last 3.

He also made 25 saves tonight vs. Saint John in a 2-1 victory.

Posted Image

#207 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

So if he ends up having an okay year, with decent stats (marred by bad numbers from earlier in the season) do you guys think MG will try to give him the Red Bull treatment and have him play a year in Europe to see how he does, if they can find a spot for him?

#208 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

So if he ends up having an okay year, with decent stats (marred by bad numbers from earlier in the season) do you guys think MG will try to give him the Red Bull treatment and have him play a year in Europe to see how he does, if they can find a spot for him?

That, or the ECHL. Assuming Luongo gets dealt and Lack becomes the back-up to Schneider, we'll probably see Cannata and Climie (or a different AHL vet goalie) in the AHL, which means Honzik will get a spot elsewhere. Of course, there's always the possibility that Honzik has a strong camp and earns an AHL spot but I think it's safe to assume, especially if Cannata continues his strong play, that Cannata will be the man between the pipes on the farm team.

#209 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

Sounds good, great he has been playing well, I was optimistic when we picked him, seems thing to have taken a jagged turn with ups and down up now you can see he is getting back to where he should be which is great to see, hopefully he can just continue his maturation and development.

zackass.png

#210 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

That, or the ECHL. Assuming Luongo gets dealt and Lack becomes the back-up to Schneider, we'll probably see Cannata and Climie (or a different AHL vet goalie) in the AHL, which means Honzik will get a spot elsewhere. Of course, there's always the possibility that Honzik has a strong camp and earns an AHL spot but I think it's safe to assume, especially if Cannata continues his strong play, that Cannata will be the man between the pipes on the farm team.

I don't think he'll be in the ECHL without a contract though. Grenier played in Austria this season but also with no contract but who knows how MG got that to happen...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.