The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

Yes, it's his 2nd season in junior, but he's also an overager--meaning that he's a 20 year old 6'5" 200lb man playing in a league for 16-19 year olds.

Well lets just be grateful he's putting up positive numbers. Just because he's an "overage" it doesn't mean you have to dominate or else your a nothing. I think his progress is positive, and besides that, 80% of these "overages" are not dominating the leauge,

Well lets just be grateful he's putting up positive numbers. Just because he's an "overage" it doesn't mean you have to dominate or else your a nothing. I think his progress is positive, and besides that, 80% of these "overages" are not dominating the leauge,

Just the fact that he's producing at higher than a point-per-game pace in his 2nd full year in the Q is a good thing. I don't think he has to flat out dominate to have a chance, but if he learns to play a solid defensive game plus PK, as well as throwing in some physicality in there to go with his skill and skating we'd have a very useful player on our hands regardless.

That sucks. Say we bought out Tochkin or some other bad contract, it'd be hella annoying to have their cap hit count even if they never played a game in the bigs.

The hit wouldn't be much. For any player under 26, it's 1/3 of their remaining cap hit for double the length. If we were to buy out Tochkin's contract, as per your example, at the end of the season, his remaining salary would be $1.05M over 2 years. The Canucks would then take a cap penalty of $0.175M/year for 4 years.

You're also forgetting that the Canucks don't need to sign him to a contract for him to play in the AHL next season. With a 3rd year eligible draftee like Grenier, the Canucks can choose not to sign him and Grenier can sign an Amateur Try-Out Contract with an AHL club in the pre-season. If he makes the AHL club, he can spend up to 2 seasons on an ATO basis with that club before the Canucks would need to sign him to an NHL contract or lose his rights. Unfortunately for Grenier, it means he only gets the $10,000/year cheque from the Canucks and no income from actually playing in the AHL, so it's a pretty crappy deal for him.

The hit wouldn't be much. For any player under 26, it's 1/3 of their remaining cap hit for double the length. If we were to buy out Tochkin's contract, as per your example, at the end of the season, his remaining salary would be $1.05M over 2 years. The Canucks would then take a cap penalty of $0.175M/year for 4 years.

You're also forgetting that the Canucks don't need to sign him to a contract for him to play in the AHL next season. With a 3rd year eligible draftee like Grenier, the Canucks can choose not to sign him and Grenier can sign an Amateur Try-Out Contract with an AHL club in the pre-season. If he makes the AHL club, he can spend up to 2 seasons on an ATO basis with that club before the Canucks would need to sign him to an NHL contract or lose his rights. Unfortunately for Grenier, it means he only gets the $10,000/year cheque from the Canucks and no income from actually playing in the AHL, so it's a pretty crappy deal for him.

Thanks for clearing that up! And I never even heard about the bolded part before. Good stuff. icon_cheesygrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

A late draftee like this doesn't really have to dominate. Optimistically, he projects as a big bodied bottom 6 forward. PPG is fine as long as he does all the other things the club covets. Folks mentioned him skating well and protecting the puck. Now its just about sound positioning, willingness to pay the price and, most especially, compete level and work ethic. Not a fighter, I know, but does he at least stick up for his teammates in melees, etc.? Perhaps someone who follows his club can answer that.

3rd round picks have a single % digit chance of making the show. Still, if he consistently delivers on the above, then, as I've said before, he may be in a Nuck uni sooner (and could stick for longer) than the likes of Schroeder and Rodin, one-dimensional guys that should have shown more based on their ranking/draft selection.

We have the Bruins to thank for making beef be the "it" thing once again. Mercifully MG caught on just in time for last year's draft.

A late draftee like this doesn't really have to dominate. Optimistically, he projects as a big bodied bottom 6 forward. PPG is fine as long as he does all the other things the club covets. Folks mentioned him skating well and protecting the puck. Now its just about sound positioning, willingness to pay the price and, most especially, compete level and work ethic. Not a fighter, I know, but does he at least stick up for his teammates in melees, etc.? Perhaps someone who follows his club can answer that.

3rd round picks have a single % digit chance of making the show. Still, if he consistently delivers on the above, then, as I've said before, he may be in a Nuck uni sooner (and could stick for longer) than the likes of Schroeder and Rodin, one-dimensional guys that should have shown more based on their ranking/draft selection.

We have the Bruins to thank for making beef be the "it" thing once again. Mercifully MG caught on just in time for last year's draft.

If you're looking for beef from Grenier, well, you're looking in the wrong place. He's not that type of player. Sure MG drafted some size in 2011 but he also made sure there was skill to go along with it. Make no mistake - he still looks for skill first and foremost in his drafts. The days of Evan Fuller are long gone.

The problem I see is, this overager is a 'project'.

The Blackhawks drafted an overager in the 5th round last year, that has 5 goals in 7 NHL games.

I like 'projects' but I also like guys that can step in and make an impact, we haven't drafted a player like that in a long, long time....

At least we have Hodgson and Tanev!

I'm watching this Friday night CHL game on Sportsnet.

Alexandre Grenier just scored, overpowered the defensemen 1 on 1. I hope he can make the roster next year, he's already 20 and has the size we need for a forward.

What roster?

You are absolutely dreaming if you think this kid gets a sniff at the NHL level in the next 3 years. He's a talented floater who shows very little desire to do the things that make NHL players, well...NHL players.

He is lazy, looks fairly uncompetitive, does not back check, will not forecheck hard...for the beauty he scored on national tv last week, every other shift he was the last forward back entering the d-zone.

Do not hold your breathe on him even making the Wolves (AHL) next year....Anthony and Archibald both couldn't cut it this year, and by all accounts have a much better work ethic than Grenier.

The Blackhawks drafted an overager in the 5th round last year, that has 5 goals in 7 NHL games.

I like 'projects' but I also like guys that can step in and make an impact, we haven't drafted a player like that in a long, long time....

Why the heck would you want to draft someone ready to play right now? If he was ready to play AND he was anything but a 4th liner (maybe bottom end 3rd liner)/3rd pairing D he would be drafted way before the 5th round. The Blackhawks got a hit with their draft.. So? At this point we have NO holes that a draft pick could help fill so I would rather someone ready 3 even 4 years down the line who has a good chance of being a top6/top4 player then a guy ready to step in who will never make it to the top4/top6.

• 3 weeks later...

I think with the depth of talent in our roster, we are going the right direction of investing in the future. We have developed some good players like that through our system and jensen will be a home run project as well imo.

Alexandre Grenier is tied for 2nd on his team in points with 19G 31A. He is tied with Matthew Boudreau (who has played 4 more games). So essentially the only player who is ahead of him on their team is the young phenom Nathan MacKinnon.

I know, I know, that he is an overager and just huge in general, that he should be dominating in the younger and smaller league. I still think that it is somewhat impressive, that in just his second year in the league he has already doubled his points from last year. If he keeps improving at this rate then he could become a very interesting prospect to follow. He also really turned it on in the playoffs last year. I am curious if he can do it again.

Archived