The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

• 2 weeks later...

that is very interesting.. mcnally, corrado, grenier, canatta, kconn and labate gillis seems to be doing pretty well after round3 and im sure i missed someone that avelanch will bring up ;)

Friesen ;)

also Polasek (great first season for the wolves last year), and Andersson (who could end up being really good and will be in NA next season ::D)

That's actually a very good sign that our scouts are finding undervalued talent (if these prospects pan out). Detroit has been finding gems in the middle rounds for years now.

That's actually a very good sign that our scouts are finding undervalued talent (if these prospects pan out). Detroit has been finding gems in the middle rounds for years now.

i agree, you can start to see gillis's drafting philosophy start to payoff and he hasnt even had that many picks due to trades some of nonis's and some of his own doing.

i knew id forget some players too, avelanch keeps me on my toes watching prospects to try and at least sound informed :P

I've never really understood the grovelling over MG for asking the owners to triple their scouting budget. It's not like he improved it on the same budget, or made substantial budget cuts elsewhere to put a much bigger emphasis on the importance of drafting. I'm not begrudging him for it or anything, but I don't really see it as a 'philosophy' so much as a luxury.

I've never really understood the grovelling over MG for asking the owners to triple their scouting budget. It's not like he improved it on the same budget, or made substantial budget cuts elsewhere to put a much bigger emphasis on the importance of drafting. I'm not begrudging him for it or anything, but I don't really see it as a 'philosophy' so much as a luxury.

I like how you refer to it as a luxury. The philosophy is there too though, it is how you manage said luxuries when you come across them.

Part of proper management is knowing when to spend money. Improving performance under the same budget is a great way to show your worth, but the goal of the scouting department is not to showcase Mike's management skills.

The goal is to achieve the highest return possible, rather than the highest return per dollar possible. Under this goal, as long as their is some marginal benefit to increasing costs, they should increase.

If you have a resource available to you, and choose not to use it because its too easy and does not involve brilliant management on your part, then you have made a mistake. Good on Mike for avoiding that mistake, and taking advantage of an opportunity many would have missed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dasein

Disappointing to lose a prospect like that.

He had good size, but I heard he was soft and didn't use it. Oh well, not all gambles pay out. At least we found a gem in the late rounds in this year with Frank Corrado.

Archived