The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

Weird move. But we still own his rights don't we?

I can't imagine his dream isn't to play in the NHL since he's Canadian. Maybe he believes that this is the best league to develop his skills.

All isn't lost with this guy yet.

He didn't sign with the Red Bulls. The Canucks made arrangements to have him play in Austria. I guess they feel its better for his development if he plays in Austria vs the ECHL

And yes, he is still our property. We have until June 30, 2013 to sign him.

He didn't sign with the Red Bulls. The Canucks made arrangements to have him play in Austria. I guess they feel its better for his development if he plays in Austria vs the ECHL

And yes, he is still our property. We have until June 31, 2013 to sign him.

Is there a source that this was a vancouver led decision and not him just following money?

Is there a source that this was a vancouver led decision and not him just following money?

Yah from a QMJHL writer for the Halifax chronicle-herald

@CH_willyPalov

The Vancouver Canucks have arranged for former Moosehead Alex Grenier to play for Pierre Page with Red Bull Salzburg in Austria this year.

There weren't going to be enough minutes in Chicago for him to properly develop is my guess. Rodin, Kassian (possibly), Schroeder, Sweatt, Friesen, Archibald, plus all of Wolves management's players (not to mention Gillis' history of adding a top end AHL scorer almost every year) and Grenier would have been healthy scratched quite a bit.

It's disappointing that he's not ready for the AHL but at least he's going somewhere he can really work on his offensive skill set.

They have Archi, Anthony and Rai.... are they packed? Archi will play Wolves next year.

Yes they are, with our prospects and the players the Wolves sign themselves (Haydar) there would be no room for Grenier to play and develop.

Schroeder, Schneider, Matson, Friesen, Rai will all be competing for Center positions on the Wolves next year. Reinprecht would certainly earn himself a spot if he returns, plus other non-Canuck property Wolves who may be back next year, and we can always sign a couple AHL guys to compete for jobs too.

So we know of 5 canucks prospects at the least, plus potentially another 3-4 centers when we consider any off season AHL-level signings and Wolves guys coming back, that is a lot of players competing for 4 (potentially 5) spots.

Seems likely people will be relegated to the K-Wings. I guess this could be good for Grenier's development, but I would hope he is planning to join the AHL the following year. I wonder if he is allowed to still attend Canucks training camp before heading to Austria, if I were the Canucks I would try to arrange that sort of a deal.

Schroeder, Schneider, Matson, Friesen, Rai will all be competing for Center positions on the Wolves next year. Reinprecht would certainly earn himself a spot if he returns, plus other non-Canuck property Wolves who may be back next year, and we can always sign a couple AHL guys to compete for jobs too.

So we know of 5 canucks prospects at the least, plus potentially another 3-4 centers when we consider any off season AHL-level signings and Wolves guys coming back, that is a lot of players competing for 4 (potentially 5) spots.

Seems likely people will be relegated to the K-Wings. I guess this could be good for Grenier's development, but I would hope he is planning to join the AHL the following year. I wonder if he is allowed to still attend Canucks training camp before heading to Austria, if I were the Canucks I would try to arrange that sort of a deal.

He's already in Austria, moved into his apartment and everything. I don't see him coming back for training camp.

Disappointing to lose a prospect like that.

He had good size, but I heard he was soft and didn't use it. Oh well, not all gambles pay out. At least we found a gem in the late rounds in this year with Frank Corrado.

Great, this POS took the money instead of developing in Chicago. We got a less talented, less everything Radulov on our hands.

Does anyone really need any more proof as to why it can suck to play for this fanbase? Look how quickly we turn on our prospects!

This is great news, obviously the Austrian league is what Gillis thinks is the best league for him to play in, difficult enough that it will be man against boys but easy enough that he should enjoy success.

Does anyone really need any more proof as to why it can suck to play for this fanbase? Look how quickly we turn on our prospects!

This is great news, obviously the Austrian league is what Gillis thinks is the best league for him to play in, difficult enough that it will be man against boys but easy enough that he should enjoy success.

This is very true. Also, by all accounts (including my own), Greener is just not very physical, but is fast and keen offensively, while also being huge. His game is almost tailor-made for Euro leagues, where he wont be asked to be a tank like he would in the AHL or ECHL, this may be the best thing that could have happened to him developmentally. On top of this he's playing for the team with some of the best facilities in Western-Europe.

This is very true. Also, by all accounts (including my own), Greener is just not very physical, but is fast and keen offensively, while also being huge. His game is almost tailor-made for Euro leagues, where he wont be asked to be a tank like he would in the AHL or ECHL, this may be the best thing that could have happened to him developmentally. On top of this he's playing for the team with some of the best facilities in Western-Europe.

As long as he's using his size to protect the puck i'm okay with him not hitting people. If he can become a lesser Jakub Voracek, I'd be extremely happy.

Gillis isn't in on this Austrian deal. He didn't offer Grenier a contract because he doesn't want a glut at the Kalamazoo level.

He has enough of those guys and only fifty contacts to go around. Tochkin, Rai, Andersson, Archibald, Anthony, possibly Freisen; they all take up contract spots.

Too many K-Wings spoil the broth.

I had no idea Grenier was an overager. Guess I wasn't paying attention to his age. My first thought was, "Why is he not continuing to play with the Mooseheads in the Q?".

Whatever happens, I hope he remains somewhat in the hands of the Canucks organization. If he develops nicely, he's the kind of player the Canucks will want on the team.

Weird move. But we still own his rights don't we?

I can't imagine his dream isn't to play in the NHL since he's Canadian. Maybe he believes that this is the best league to develop his skills.

All isn't lost with this guy yet.

Man i hope he comes to his senses and plays for Chicago. He was a point a game in the Q.

Archived