The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

Man i hope he comes to his senses and plays for Chicago. He was a point a game in the Q.

Again, the Canucks faciltated the move to have him play in the Austrian league as Chicago is JAMMED with our prospects and Chicago signed players

He is Canuck property until June 30, 2013. If Canuks do not sign him then, he will become a free agent

Man i hope he comes to his senses and plays for Chicago. He was a point a game in the Q.

I get the feeling that this move was a way to elude the contract cap because we retain his rights and he plays in a league on par with the ECHL and continues developing while making a good chunk of cash and life experience and we can sign that extra UFA (Schultz :bigblush: )

i still don't understand Austria League of all place. Couldnt they get him into somewhere more respectable like SEL or SM-lliga?

Or even DEL?

My guess is they want him playing 1st line minutes. Typically most players (even many NHL bounds) will get 4th line minutes at best their first year in the SEL, in order to acclimatize them to the pro game. I don't know as much about the SM-liga but perhaps it is the same situation there.

DEL I could have seen as an option, but there is enough similarity in competition in the Autrian league to justify picking Austria over Germany if other factors were involved. At the very least he isn't going where Patrick White went (German 3rd league, Oberliga).

Other factors may include (as mentioned) EC Salzburg's amazing arena, the fact that they have won the Championship 4 out of the last 6 years (indicating good potential linemates for Grenier plus top coaches/management), and money/player's preference on where to live.

My guess is they want him playing 1st line minutes. Typically most players (even many NHL bounds) will get 4th line minutes at best their first year in the SEL, in order to acclimatize them to the pro game. I don't know as much about the SM-liga but perhaps it is the same situation there.

DEL I could have seen as an option, but there is enough similarity in competition in the Autrian league to justify picking Austria over Germany if other factors were involved. At the very least he isn't going where Patrick White went (German 3rd league, Oberliga).

Other factors may include (as mentioned) EC Salzburg's amazing arena, the fact that they have won the Championship 4 out of the last 6 years (indicating good potential linemates for Grenier plus top coaches/management), and money/player's preference on where to live.

I think the main reason he will be playing in Austria is because he will be playing under Pierre Page.

For those of you who don't know what Page is doing in Austria right now. Pagé spearheaded the International Ice Hockey Development Model (IIDM) in Salzburg with the Red Bulls. The model aims to develop world class athletes with the help of the training facilities provided at the Thalgau training center. With all the championships they've been winning lately, I say it's going pretty well.

The Canucks specific put him in Austria under Page because it would be best for his development. This is a great move by the Canucks.

Guest Dasein

I think the main reason he will be playing in Austria is because he will be playing under Pierre Page.

For those of you who don't know what Page is doing in Austria right now. Pagé spearheaded the International Ice Hockey Development Model (IIDM) in Salzburg with the Red Bulls. The model aims to develop world class athletes with the help of the training facilities provided at the Thalgau training center. With all the championships they've been winning lately, I say it's going pretty well.

The Canucks specific put him in Austria under Page because it would be best for his development. This is a great move by the Canucks.

Wow, thanks for the insight. Didn't know that was the case.

i still don't understand Austria League of all place. Couldnt they get him into somewhere more respectable like SEL or SM-lliga?

Or even DEL?

Still better than Patrick White's German beer league.

Wow, thanks for the insight. Didn't know that was the case.

I was also unaware of Pierre Page, thanks for sharing. This move is starting to make some good sense, I really hope we sign Grenier next offseason.

"Thinking outside the box."

Isn't that what Gillis said impacted him the most about the book Moneyball? This move seems to be exactly that. Everyone knows that Grenier is a "gentle giant" and most teams would be trying to change his entire game by telling a 6'5" 200lbs guy to put on 20-30lbs of muscle in order to hammer guys into the boards instead of realizing he is what he is, a skill guy getting used to gangly arms & legs, and trying to squeeze out his offensive potential. So Gillis send him off to Austria to learn how to use his size to protect the puck, create space and therefore offense against men rather than use his size to crash and bang against men.

On top of that, people have been saying for years that the bigger ice surface over there helps nurture more "skilled" players. Gillis must be thinking "top-six forward" for Grenier rather than "top-six forward with the ability to become a bottom-six if top-six doesn't pan out" and since Gillis knew there would barely be bottom-six minutes with the Wolves, let alone top-six minutes, it's off to some new innovative program that is showing some tangible results in the "'overachieving' on a consistent basis" department. I bet you Gillis probably sees a lot of similarities between what he's trying to implement over here (new, innovative ideas) and what Page appears to be doing over there.

I wonder if Gillis & Co see any future Johan Franzen-type upside in Grenier, ie all the size & skating ability in the world but needed years to develop into a late bloomer at age 25.

"Thinking outside the box."

Isn't that what Gillis said impacted him the most about the book Moneyball? This move seems to be exactly that. Everyone knows that Grenier is a "gentle giant" and most teams would be trying to change his entire game by telling a 6'5" 200lbs guy to put on 20-30lbs of muscle in order to hammer guys into the boards instead of realizing he is what he is, a skill guy getting used to gangly arms & legs, and trying to squeeze out his offensive potential. So Gillis send him off to Austria to learn how to use his size to protect the puck, create space and therefore offense against men rather than use his size to crash and bang against men.

On top of that, people have been saying for years that the bigger ice surface over there helps nurture more "skilled" players. Gillis must be thinking "top-six forward" for Grenier rather than "top-six forward with the ability to become a bottom-six if top-six doesn't pan out" and since Gillis knew there would barely be bottom-six minutes with the Wolves, let alone top-six minutes, it's off to some new innovative program that is showing some tangible results in the "'overachieving' on a consistent basis" department. I bet you Gillis probably sees a lot of similarities between what he's trying to implement over here (new, innovative ideas) and what Page appears to be doing over there.

I wonder if Gillis & Co see any future Johan Franzen-type upside in Grenier, ie all the size & skating ability in the world but needed years to develop into a late bloomer at age 25.

More than interesting!

If MG has that level of insight with Grenier then my question would be what happened with Mason Raymond? I understand that MG inherited Raymond but a promising talent is proabably on the way out of town IMHO because of poor development and coaching.

More than interesting!

If MG has that level of insight with Grenier then my question would be what happened with Mason Raymond? I understand that MG inherited Raymond but a promising talent is proabably on the way out of town IMHO because of poor development and coaching.

Nonis rushed him up here after only 32 AHL games (45 including playoffs) so he clearly didn't follow the Detroit model of over-ripening prospects with Raymond and when Gillis came on board the roster was so uber thin/top-six starved for offense that he let Raymond develop on the fly which, admittedly, looks like a mistake. Although, Gillis did keep Grabner marinating longer because he was still down there when he came on board.

I can't see the way the Canucks handled Raymond being a mistake. The guy put up 25 goals and 53 points in 09/10 (his 3rd season and 2nd full season). He was coming along just fine but just hit a wall and then furthermore endured that bad back injury.

I actually think that all in all Raymond is a success story as far as the Canucks' player development program goes. There are TONS of 2nd round picks that have done much worse and accomplished far less than Mason Raymond.

Anyways, back on topic (Alexandre Grenier).

Canuck prospect Grenier's European adventure

BY JIM JAMIESON, THE PROVINCE JUNE 6, 2012

Alexandre Grenier is ensconced in his Salzburg apartment, has his complimentary car and is already training with EC Red Bull.

It's been a whirlwind year for Grenier. And if you go back another year it's more like a tornado.

Twenty-one months ago, as a 19-year-old he started the season playing junior A hockey in Saint-Jerome, Que. By mid-season, he was getting his first taste of major junior hockey with the Quebec Remparts. He was drafted in the third round (90th overall) last June by the Canucks and in September he was attending an NHL rookie camp.

Now, after a very productive first full year with Halifax of the Quebec League, he's set to play the next season in Austria's top profession-al league.

The Canucks made him an offer so as to retain his rights for another year and see the opportunity that was set up by Grenier's agent, Allain Roy, as a win-win. Assuming all goes well in Austria they can sign him next year. If not, he can become a free agent.

"With Salzburg it's going to be a great opportunity to learn," said Grenier, over the phone from the Austrian city. "Guys are older than me, not like in major junior where I was the oldest one. So most of the guys here have already played at the NHL level. That's going to be a great experience for me. I'll try to learn as much as I can and work as hard as I can."

With Red Bull, Grenier will get a chance to learn from former NHL coach Pierre Page for a team that's one of the top professional hockey franchises in Europe.

"They are very good at developing young players and have really good training facilities there," said Roy. "He's a big kid who needs to work on developing his body."

The native of Montreal suburb St.-Constant is the classic late-bloomer, certainly dictated by a serious car accident three years ago, but the Canucks liked the right winger for his impressive size - 6-foot-5 and 200 pounds - and his offensive skills. Grenier justified the Canucks' pick by putting up good numbers (25-39-64 in 64 games) as a over-age player last season in Halifax.

Grenier's coach in Halifax, Dominique Ducharme, loves his offensive up-side, but knows he has work to do.

"He's got great hands, really good vision, good shooter," said Duch-arme. "He can be more aggressive attacking the net. Skating? It's pretty good, but I think he could be using it more. When he's moving his feet, he's very hard to stop."

Grenier has already begun off-ice training and expects to hit the ice by July. After a short training camp, Red Bull begins pre-season games in early August.

The Salzburg team has a number of Canadians on its roster but who knew Grenier would be playing with former Montreal minor hockey teammate Ryan Kavanagh.

"I played with him when I was 12 or 13 in summer hockey, but it's been a while," said Grenier, whose salary is believed to be close to that of the AHL.

Besides the cultural wonders of Salzburg, Grenier is keen to take advantage of the proximity of other European countries.

"We have weekends off, so probably myself and a couple of guys will take some time to go out and visit," he said."Everything is close so why not?

Why not, indeed. It's all part of the excellent adventure.

© Copyright © The Province

Read more:http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1x8amMLgF

If you head over to the Sawyer Hannay thread, a 7th round pick of ours in 2010 and team mate of Grenier's, I've posted a link of Sawyer joining Grenier with Red Bull.

Maybe this will be a new thing for our prospect's, for the one's that need extra time then others, instead of taking up a spot on Chicago's roster. Make's sense really, because if they can't crack it in the AHL they get sent down to the ECHL, and this sounds like a better league then that.

And we esentially aren't giving up on our prospect's just because they haven't really done anything up to this point, I like it, because we may start seeing some late bloomers devleop properly with Red Bull.

Guest Dasein

If you head over to the Sawyer Hannay thread, a 7th round pick of ours in 2010 and team mate of Grenier's, I've posted a link of Sawyer joining Grenier with Red Bull.

Maybe this will be a new thing for our prospect's, for the one's that need extra time then others, instead of taking up a spot on Chicago's roster. Make's sense really, because if they can't crack it in the AHL they get sent down to the ECHL, and this sounds like a better league then that.

And we esentially aren't giving up on our prospect's just because they haven't really done anything up to this point, I like it, because we may start seeing some late bloomers devleop properly with Red Bull.

Also we're not wasting a contract on them either in case they don't turn out. Buy ourselves an extra year to sign them if they pan out.

I was just watching the draft and for some reason Grenier popped in my head. Austria huh. Well maybe it's a good stepping stone for him. I still think he needs to be with the Wolves to properly develop his skills to NHL standards. Muscle gain should be at the top of his list. If he could get to 230 lbs, I think he'll be a monster for us.

Archived