The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

not to mention hes a plus 5 on a team that has gotten scored on like crazy. not even mentioning the hits hes thrown and the fight hes had

he's +5, and Utica has scored five even strength goals, which means Grenier has been on the ice for all of them and hasn't been on for any goals against. Pretty amazing, even if it's only three games into the season.

really trying to temper my expectations of him so far. if you've followed this guy for awhile, this is sort of how you would figure the 'best case scenario' for him would go. late bloomer at all levels since juniors. if he turns in a season of real contribution (AKA stringing out this first few games for the whole season) or ending up around a PPG, i think he will have shown the top end progression the brass was hoping to see when they drafted him. we may see grenier in a canucks uni after all!

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=687825

Comet of the Week

Alex Grenier takes the nod as the Comet of the Week for the second consecutive time. The 6-foot-4, 200-pounder picked up three helpers in the loss to Rochester on Saturday and also finished with a team-high plus-2 rating. Through three games this season, the Laval, Quebec native has posted five points (1-4-5) and seven penalty-minutes. Although the Comets are minus-5 in the goal-differential department, Grenier is sitting pretty with a plus-5 rating and has been on the ice for six of the seven goals the Comets have scored this season.

He was on the ice for the empty netter tonight so he got his first minus of the season... but he's still at +4, which is the only plus rating on Utica's entire roster. Plus he was on the ice when they scored their only goal on the PP. Archibald-Pelletier-Grenier's been a pretty effective unit.

Yeah, that's their top PP unit together with Tommernes and Corrado. Good to see him getting minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Now with Kesler clogging up the 1st line RW spot, pushing Burrows, Hansen AND Kassian down, I don't see a chance for Grenier this season.

Injuries happen.

But I understand, we are pretty deep at RW with Kesler, Burrows, Kassian, Hansen, Dalpe, Weise, Jensen.

Kesler can move back to center, Burrows to the left wing, but Kassian and perhaps Jensen could be ahead of him by the time he's developed enough for a call up. That's not likely to be this year though and assumes he'd come in as a top 6 guy, where Hansen would still be a premier 3rd liner for us, although for any opening in the near future I wonder if Dalpe gets a bit of a shot at more offensive ice time.

Kesler can move back to center, Burrows to the left wing, but Kassian and perhaps Jensen could be ahead of him by the time he's developed enough for a call up. That's not likely to be this year though and assumes he'd come in as a top 6 guy, where Hansen would still be a premier 3rd liner for us, although for any opening in the near future I wonder if Dalpe gets a bit of a shot at more offensive ice time.

I don't see Dalpe sticking if the 4th line is the only option. He has to get a shot on the 3rd line as a winger. Richardson is a great C for these young guys as his overall game covers some of their weaknesses. Dalpe window is closing fast as Hanson's return means a shakeup. Dalpe's cut to the net in the Duck's game had to impress. Since Archibald goes back to Utica soon I would move him to the 4th and put Dalpe on the 3rd to see how he does.

Archived