The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

Is it possible Grenier has surpassed Jensen in our prospect pool? Grenier is 1.5 years older but being a late bloomer he is at a similar spot as Jensen in terms of professional experience.

At this point Grenier is much larger, more capable defensively and as it stands right now has a much more evolved offensive game.

From this Comet's fan point of view, Grenier is ready for his shot with the Canucks. From seeing him play in person, he has more than the tools, he has the character to be a NHL player. Anyone can have the tools it takes, but, without the character, your not going to make it. Will be sorry to see him leave, but happy for him at the same time. He leaves it on the ice every game.

Is it possible Grenier has surpassed Jensen in our prospect pool? Grenier is 1.5 years older but being a late bloomer he is at a similar spot as Jensen in terms of professional experience.

At this point Grenier is much larger, more capable defensively and as it stands right now has a much more evolved offensive game.

I think Jensen still has the better offensive potential, but has almost no consistency in his game (well, he's been consistently cold the past little while). He's nowhere near ready for the NHL, and I'd be disappointed if the Canucks called him up just because he's a top prospect. Grenier's the far more consistent player, and the Canucks could use an extra big-bodied player that can score goals, never a bad thing to have.

From this Comet's fan point of view, Grenier is ready for his shot with the Canucks. From seeing him play in person, he has more than the tools, he has the character to be a NHL player. Anyone can have the tools it takes, but, without the character, your not going to make it. Will be sorry to see him leave, but happy for him at the same time. He leaves it on the ice every game.

Do you see him as the first call-up amongst the forwards now? The Canucks called up Archibald because they knew he could play a bottom-6 role... do you think Grenier's suited for that line of duty as well as an offensive role?

I think Jensen still has the better offensive potential, but has almost no consistency in his game (well, he's been consistently cold the past little while). He's nowhere near ready for the NHL, and I'd be disappointed if the Canucks called him up just because he's a top prospect. Grenier's the far more consistent player, and the Canucks could use an extra big-bodied player that can score goals, never a bad thing to have.

Do you see him as the first call-up amongst the forwards now? The Canucks called up Archibald because they knew he could play a bottom-6 role... do you think Grenier's suited for that line of duty as well as an offensive role?

I think the Canucks can't go wrong giving Archibald another shot or giving Grenier his chance. Both have proven themselves here in Utica. Definitely see either as a first call-up on a offensive line, for sure. They both can score if given the opportunity. The problem here in Utica, in my opinion, is the constant line juggling by coach Green. We just can't get established lines because of consistent call-ups and player shuffling between teams. These guys (Comets) just can't find their rhythm. Coach isn't sure who's coming or going. Not coaches fault at all, but I think if Archi or Grenier played on a dedicated, experienced line, they will produce on the NHL level. I don't think we will see either of them in Utica for much longer.

I am glad there's a forward prospect that seems to be playing decently in Utica. However, I don't think the Canucks will call him up this season for an extended period of time unless there's a lot of injuires.

Considering the amount of money and time the Canucks had to spend to finally get an AHL team, I don't think they will bring up the prospects unless they are too good to bury in the AHL. I think Canucks will use this year as a test for Utica and their prospects to get a real good feel of how well their prospects are and Grenier will be a good measuring stick for them.

I am glad there's a forward prospect that seems to be playing decently in Utica. However, I don't think the Canucks will call him up this season for an extended period of time unless there's a lot of injuires.

Considering the amount of money and time the Canucks had to spend to finally get an AHL team, I don't think they will bring up the prospects unless they are too good to bury in the AHL. I think Canucks will use this year as a test for Utica and their prospects to get a real good feel of how well their prospects are and Grenier will be a good measuring stick for them.

That's ok with us in Utica. All we need is some stability in our lines. I would love to see these guys develop down here. Maybe that will produce more wins. In the mean time, I think Archi and Grenier are the 2 best candidates, thus far, to get to Vancouver. There are about 8 more that are close, but need to develop a bit more. Overall, I can see the talent mature as each game is played.

That's ok with us in Utica. All we need is some stability in our lines. I would love to see these guys develop down here. Maybe that will produce more wins. In the mean time, I think Archi and Grenier are the 2 best candidates, thus far, to get to Vancouver. There are about 8 more that are close, but need to develop a bit more. Overall, I can see the talent mature as each game is played.

Thanks for your input… Don't ever really get to watch the AHL games. I hope Grenier can turn into a Blake Wheeler? type of player. He seems to have the same build and skill set. Is Grenier aggressive or shy away from contact?

Thanks for the Utica update. I believe Travis Green is a decent coach and the D appears to be playing better from what I have read about Utica lately (although I didn't really see them play), which is similar to how Portland Winterhawks used to develop good defensive prospects. I do believe Archibald and Grenier can become a Canuck in the future as well, esp after the good performance by Archibald in the last call up.

However, I am curious which 8 are close to being an NHLer?

As for the line up stability, I also think that has to do with the lack of good prospects and the new team in a new league. I believe Utica will be a much better team next year when some of our CHL prospects graduate and turn pro and we will have much better prospects and less fringe and redemption project in the line up.

Thanks for the Utica update. I believe Travis Green is a decent coach and the D appears to be playing better from what I have read about Utica lately (although I didn't really see them play), which is similar to how Portland Winterhawks used to develop good defensive prospects. I do believe Archibald and Grenier can become a Canuck in the future as well, esp after the good performance by Archibald in the last call up.

However, I am curious which 8 are close to being an NHLer?

As for the line up stability, I also think that has to do with the lack of good prospects and the new team in a new league. I believe Utica will be a much better team next year when some of our CHL prospects graduate and turn pro and we will have much better prospects and less fringe and redemption project in the line up.

I hear ya about coach Green. I do feel for the guy. He is doing the best he can under the "revolving door" line up scenario. I just wish (and MANY Utica fans agree) that he would show more emotion behind the bench. You have to understand that when we last had the AHL here, we were used to the likes of Herb Brooks, Tom McVie and Robbie Ftorek as coaches. All 3 made their feelings known to not only the officials, but to the players as well. And the fans here appreciate that.

As for the other players, I believe, that have a shot at Vancouver, they are: Jensen, Lain, Pelletier, Suave, Tommernes, Ferriero, Hamill and DeFazio. Please, hold your laughter if you don't agree. This is based on what I have SEEN during their games here in Utica. These guys listed above, just play hard. They need some time, maybe another year, to develop, but I think these guys have a legitimate chance just because of the way they play. It just seems like they play on a different level. I think that, if these guys played with the right line combination, and mix in some NHL experience to go along with it, you would see their skills excel above where they are now. They need work, but they have the tools. It's a matter of having the right line.

I'll give a "honorable mention" to Biega and Friesen. Both good with the sticks, and good skaters. Biega is a great on-ice communicator. I think he could wear a "C" or at least an "A" on his sweater down here in Utica.

I'm sure this list will change as time and skills grow. Feel free to dissect the list of players mentioned above. I'm no "hockey GuRu" so you'll have to just accept my personal beliefs based on my observations from seeing them play. I am one that doesn't really look at stats when I judge a player. I like to see the player in action before I give my opinion. You guys will have your chance soon for your own personal observation. The Comets are heading to Abbottsford next week for 2 games. I think, for the most part, you will like what you see from your Canucks farm team.

Don't really see Grenier as a 1st liner, yet. I don't know, but, there is just something about him that makes me think he can hold his own if he "gets the call" from Vancouver. He has 1 heck of a quick wrist shot. Made the Texas goalie look like he was standing still Saturday night. top right shelf. Utica's only goal.

To you Utica fans who've been watching the games, how have Ferreiro and DeFazio been? I liked the Ferreiro signing and thought he might have been higher up than Santorelli on the depth chart (before his stellar play of course). Chances of hi getting called up in injuries strike again?

To you Utica fans who've been watching the games, how have Ferreiro and DeFazio been? I liked the Ferreiro signing and thought he might have been higher up than Santorelli on the depth chart (before his stellar play of course). Chances of hi getting called up in injuries strike again?

I like both of them. We don't have much "toughness" on the squad down here, but these 2 are "in your face" players. Give them a little more time down here to develop and I think they should be ok when the time comes. I don't think either will be in Utica by seasons end.

Ferreiro is a bit of a double edge sword. He leads the team with 6 goals and I think he has the best pure shot on the team. The negative is he has the worst +/- on the team at -10. It seems like every time the Comets give up a goal Ferreiro is out there. I don't see him getting called up unless he can improve his defensive play. Torts would never put up with that.

DeFazio I can't say enough good about. Hardest working player on the ice and never takes a shift off. Not a liability in his own end and his work ethic is something that the Vancouver prospects should try to emulate.

Ferreiro is a bit of a double edge sword. He leads the team with 6 goals and I think he has the best pure shot on the team. The negative is he has the worst +/- on the team at -10. It seems like every time the Comets give up a goal Ferreiro is out there. I don't see him getting called up unless he can improve his defensive play. Torts would never put up with that.

DeFazio I can't say enough good about. Hardest working player on the ice and never takes a shift off. Not a liability in his own end and his work ethic is something that the Vancouver prospects should try to emulate.

Maybe DeFazio will turn into a Volpatti for us?

whose faster Grenier or Archie?

I would have said Grenier last year, but Archie has been improving his speed to the point where I would call it pretty equal. Maybe Utica Hockey can help answer this question?

Archived