The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

I was just looking at his stats on the Halifax Mooseheads site and it looks like he had 16 P 8 G 8 A in last years playoffs. Our first 3 picks last draft are all playoff performers, which is awesome, Jensen having 11 P in 10 games and Honzik being absolutely amazing in net for the Tigres. Bright future ahead for the Canucks.

• 3 weeks later...

6'5, 200 pounds, and more than a ppg in his second year of junior. Not bad at all!

Yes, it's his 2nd season in junior, but he's also an overager--meaning that he's a 20 year old 6'5" 200lb man playing in a league for 16-19 year olds.

Yes, it's his 2nd season in junior, but he's also an overager--meaning that he's a 20 year old 6'5" 200lb man playing in a league for 16-19 year olds.

Exactly. And it's going to be a tough call whether to offer him a contract or not with those kind of numbers all things considered.

Exactly. And it's going to be a tough call whether to offer him a contract or not with those kind of numbers all things considered.

it's not that tough.

MG: hey Grenier, you want a league minimum contract to play in the AHL and continue developing?

AG: Sure.

tada!

it's not that tough.

MG: hey Grenier, you want a league minimum contract to play in the AHL and continue developing?

AG: Sure.

tada!

I was under the impression that there was a maximum number of players that an org could have under contract at any one time under the CBA and that given that , it might not be wise to have 12 players under contract in Kalamazoo.

I stand corrected, I guess.

I was under the impression that there was a maximum number of players that an org could have under contract at any one time under the CBA and that given that , it might not be wise to have 12 players under contract in Kalamazoo.

I stand corrected, I guess.

we have a lot of contracts coming off the books this season, and only 2 players in kalamazoo (ECHL, not AHL). I'm not sure how you would think this would max out our contracts...

we have a lot of contracts coming off the books this season, and only 2 players in kalamazoo (ECHL, not AHL). I'm not sure how you would think this would max out our contracts...

Yeah but when you combine the likes of Schnieder, Tochkin, Achibald, Grenier, Erixon, Anthony, Andersson and maybe Freisen all potentially in Kalamazoo it does begin to cramp your ability to sign the likes of a Nathan Longpre when he comes along.

All I'm saying is that I think Gillis is signing an awful lot of ECHL fodder.

Yeah but when you combine the likes of Schnieder, Tochkin, Achibald, Grenier, Erixon, Anthony, Andersson and maybe Freisen all potentially in Kalamazoo it does begin to cramp your ability to sign the likes of a Nathan Longpre when he comes along.

well you and i obviously disagree on the talent level of our prospects, and longpre could be signed at any time if we want him.

Think a prospect isn't panning out? Waive and buy him out if he doesn't get claimed. Done. One more contract spot available.

Think a prospect isn't panning out? Waive and buy him out if he doesn't get claimed. Done. One more contract spot available.

I didn't know that the CBA allowed for the waiving and buying out of players on entry level deals playing in the low minors.

If so, then problem solved I guess.

I didn't know that the CBA allowed for the waiving and buying out of players on entry level deals playing in the low minors.

If so, then problem solved I guess.

Havn't seen anything in the CBA preventing the buying out players who have entry level bonuses. I don't think it's done a lot, because the general evaluation of a prospect takes ~5 years on average from 1st eligible draft year and 1st contracts are usually 2-3 years in length. Even then, another team may be willing to take a shot at developing the player.

Havn't seen anything in the CBA preventing the buying out players who have entry level bonuses. I don't think it's done a lot, because the general evaluation of a prospect takes ~5 years on average from 1st eligible draft year and 1st contracts are usually 2-3 years in length. Even then, another team may be willing to take a shot at developing the player.

Yeah it's weird though 'cos usually when you see NHL teams buy out players part of their cap hit still counts for a while after... would it be the same for a prospect on an ELC despite never having had his cap hit actually count?

Yeah it's weird though 'cos usually when you see NHL teams buy out players part of their cap hit still counts for a while after... would it be the same for a prospect on an ELC despite never having had his cap hit actually count?

I could be completely wrong, but I believe that even in that case the buy out would cause it to be against the cap. There are no exceptions.

Archived