The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

A bit off-topic, but I've always wondered why there has been such a void of youth translating from the AHL to the NHL. While most simplistic answer will be blaming the drafting, but perhaps it may be more on development.

Schroeder and Bill Sweatt already been listed, but there are a bunch of other highly touted prospects like Anton Rodin and Yann Sauve who didn't did remotely close to what their potential were. Not only Canucks prospects but Atlanta Thrashers ones too like Angelo Esposito (in the running for #1 in the 2007 draft), Boris Valabik, etc.

Chicago Wolves were not the direct affiliate of the Canucks. Thus, the team was interested in winning over developing players. As such, career AHLers got more ice time. The other problem was that guys like Sweatt, Rodin, and Sauve were really only highly touted by Canucks fans. Sauve maybe had a bit of promise, but his car accident really set him back.

I would be super curious to see how Rodin would fare in Utica

We still hold Rodin's RFA rights do we not?

4 goals in 4 games in SHL playoffs. I wonder if they've even thought about bringing him back.

Looks like a textbook late blooming Swede to me.

4 goals in 4 games in SHL playoffs. I wonder if they've even thought about bringing him back.

Soderberg Style?

2 years until he would be same age as him when he came over to the B's.

I think we could make room for a 26-27 year old Swedish RW in 2 years.

Me as well, too bad he went back to Sweden. He could have played on a much more skilled team here then he was used to in Chicago.

I felt he wasn't even used properly in Chicago.

He had brief appearances with Schroeder and Sweatt but mainly played with Tim Miller and Nathan Longpre.

I felt Mactavish was trying to use him more like a grinder when his offensive skillset is far better.

You can thank Mac T and the Wolves organization for the mishandling of Rodin

I hate talking about Anton Rodin because every time I think of him I just think of his pure offensive potential and his dynamic speed.

I remember watching A LOT of Chicago Wolves games during the lockout and Rodin was my favorite prospect.

He was most definitely misused in Chicago and I'll probably never forgive the Wolves for that.

Good point. He's no longer on the Vcr protected list (?) so is he a FA, does he need to pass through waivers, frankly I have no idea. In league play it's iteresting to not that Billy Sweat plays for the same team and in fact had 1 point more than Rodin kind of put's things into perspective ... Jeff Tambellini is 6th in play off scoring.

I can't find a reserve list for NHL teams, any one have a link ?

Rodin: The year before going to the AHL he had 7 goals 26 points in 53 games with Brynas. His numbers in the AHL were fairly similar, 10 goals 27 points in 63 games.

This year he had 19 goals 40 points in 53 games. Very possible he could still play in the NHL, as he just turned 24. Sweatt is probably to old to have a serious chance.

As for Grenier, he followed up his solid rookie numbers by matching his point totals in 9 less games. 3rd on the team in scoring (1 behind DeFazio with 8 less games played) and 4th in +/- at +10.

Huge player, but I wonder if he can crash and bang in the bottom 6? I've heard his overall game is still quite raw.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a proponent for keeping Grenier for a while.

Really glad to see him coming along. Hard to argue at least that our RW depth might be raw but between the Comets and Nucks we've some serious size and at least skating ability on it.

I really hope he makes a case for himself at training camp next year. It is going to be tough but there is an entire playoffs to be played and who knows who gets dealt at the draft or walks for free agency.

I see a little Jamie Benn in him (obviously that isn't far, the guy just won the Art Ross), with the combination of size, playmaking and scoring ability.

Archived