549 replies to this topic

#121 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

7G, 11A for 18 points in 17 games this year. Not sure but I think he's playing 2nd line RW, but also with MacKinnon on the top PP.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#122 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

Hope he does well, and he develops fast. We need a big, physical winger with some skill.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#123 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

I was just looking at his stats on the Halifax Mooseheads site and it looks like he had 16 P 8 G 8 A in last years playoffs. Our first 3 picks last draft are all playoff performers, which is awesome, Jensen having 11 P in 10 games and Honzik being absolutely amazing in net for the Tigres. Bright future ahead for the Canucks.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#124 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

Grenier seems to be picking it up. Seen he had 20 points in 20 games, he now has 28 points in 25 games for the Halifax Moosehead.

#125 sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

6'5, 200 pounds, and more than a ppg in his second year of junior. Not bad at all!
Posted Image

#126 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

6'5, 200 pounds, and more than a ppg in his second year of junior. Not bad at all!

Yes, it's his 2nd season in junior, but he's also an overager--meaning that he's a 20 year old 6'5" 200lb man playing in a league for 16-19 year olds.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#127 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:28 AM

Yes, it's his 2nd season in junior, but he's also an overager--meaning that he's a 20 year old 6'5" 200lb man playing in a league for 16-19 year olds.

Exactly. And it's going to be a tough call whether to offer him a contract or not with those kind of numbers all things considered.

#128 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,562 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:21 AM

Exactly. And it's going to be a tough call whether to offer him a contract or not with those kind of numbers all things considered.

it's not that tough.
MG: hey Grenier, you want a league minimum contract to play in the AHL and continue developing?
AG: Sure.

tada!

#129 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:43 AM

it's not that tough.
MG: hey Grenier, you want a league minimum contract to play in the AHL and continue developing?
AG: Sure.

tada!

I was under the impression that there was a maximum number of players that an org could have under contract at any one time under the CBA and that given that , it might not be wise to have 12 players under contract in Kalamazoo.

I stand corrected, I guess.

#130 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,562 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

I was under the impression that there was a maximum number of players that an org could have under contract at any one time under the CBA and that given that , it might not be wise to have 12 players under contract in Kalamazoo.

I stand corrected, I guess.

we have a lot of contracts coming off the books this season, and only 2 players in kalamazoo (ECHL, not AHL). I'm not sure how you would think this would max out our contracts...

#131 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

we have a lot of contracts coming off the books this season, and only 2 players in kalamazoo (ECHL, not AHL). I'm not sure how you would think this would max out our contracts...

Yeah but when you combine the likes of Schnieder, Tochkin, Achibald, Grenier, Erixon, Anthony, Andersson and maybe Freisen all potentially in Kalamazoo it does begin to cramp your ability to sign the likes of a Nathan Longpre when he comes along.

All I'm saying is that I think Gillis is signing an awful lot of ECHL fodder.

#132 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,562 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

Yeah but when you combine the likes of Schnieder, Tochkin, Achibald, Grenier, Erixon, Anthony, Andersson and maybe Freisen all potentially in Kalamazoo it does begin to cramp your ability to sign the likes of a Nathan Longpre when he comes along.

well you and i obviously disagree on the talent level of our prospects, and longpre could be signed at any time if we want him.

#133 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Think a prospect isn't panning out? Waive and buy him out if he doesn't get claimed. Done. One more contract spot available.

#134 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

Think a prospect isn't panning out? Waive and buy him out if he doesn't get claimed. Done. One more contract spot available.

I didn't know that the CBA allowed for the waiving and buying out of players on entry level deals playing in the low minors.

If so, then problem solved I guess.

#135 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

I didn't know that the CBA allowed for the waiving and buying out of players on entry level deals playing in the low minors.

If so, then problem solved I guess.

Havn't seen anything in the CBA preventing the buying out players who have entry level bonuses. I don't think it's done a lot, because the general evaluation of a prospect takes ~5 years on average from 1st eligible draft year and 1st contracts are usually 2-3 years in length. Even then, another team may be willing to take a shot at developing the player.

#136 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

Some highlights from a month ago, but saw that they weren't posted. A couple of nice setups by Grenier:

http://www.youtube.c...95fAUN4#t=1m05s

http://www.youtube.c...95fAUN4#t=2m09s

#137 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

Havn't seen anything in the CBA preventing the buying out players who have entry level bonuses. I don't think it's done a lot, because the general evaluation of a prospect takes ~5 years on average from 1st eligible draft year and 1st contracts are usually 2-3 years in length. Even then, another team may be willing to take a shot at developing the player.

Yeah it's weird though 'cos usually when you see NHL teams buy out players part of their cap hit still counts for a while after... would it be the same for a prospect on an ELC despite never having had his cap hit actually count?

#138 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:01 AM

Yeah it's weird though 'cos usually when you see NHL teams buy out players part of their cap hit still counts for a while after... would it be the same for a prospect on an ELC despite never having had his cap hit actually count?

I could be completely wrong, but I believe that even in that case the buy out would cause it to be against the cap. There are no exceptions.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#139 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:38 AM

I could be completely wrong, but I believe that even in that case the buy out would cause it to be against the cap. There are no exceptions.

That sucks. Say we bought out Tochkin or some other bad contract, it'd be hella annoying to have their cap hit count even if they never played a game in the bigs.

#140 Panjodh

Panjodh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:39 AM

LOL French players suck??

Tell that to Bergeron, Lecavlier(sp?), St.louis, Broduer, and countless, COUNTLESS other stars

Burrows?

#141 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

Well lets just be grateful he's putting up positive numbers. Just because he's an "overage" it doesn't mean you have to dominate or else your a nothing. I think his progress is positive, and besides that, 80% of these "overages" are not dominating the leauge,

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#142 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

Well lets just be grateful he's putting up positive numbers. Just because he's an "overage" it doesn't mean you have to dominate or else your a nothing. I think his progress is positive, and besides that, 80% of these "overages" are not dominating the leauge,

Just the fact that he's producing at higher than a point-per-game pace in his 2nd full year in the Q is a good thing. I don't think he has to flat out dominate to have a chance, but if he learns to play a solid defensive game plus PK, as well as throwing in some physicality in there to go with his skill and skating we'd have a very useful player on our hands regardless.

#143 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

That sucks. Say we bought out Tochkin or some other bad contract, it'd be hella annoying to have their cap hit count even if they never played a game in the bigs.

The hit wouldn't be much. For any player under 26, it's 1/3 of their remaining cap hit for double the length. If we were to buy out Tochkin's contract, as per your example, at the end of the season, his remaining salary would be $1.05M over 2 years. The Canucks would then take a cap penalty of $0.175M/year for 4 years.

You're also forgetting that the Canucks don't need to sign him to a contract for him to play in the AHL next season. With a 3rd year eligible draftee like Grenier, the Canucks can choose not to sign him and Grenier can sign an Amateur Try-Out Contract with an AHL club in the pre-season. If he makes the AHL club, he can spend up to 2 seasons on an ATO basis with that club before the Canucks would need to sign him to an NHL contract or lose his rights. Unfortunately for Grenier, it means he only gets the $10,000/year cheque from the Canucks and no income from actually playing in the AHL, so it's a pretty crappy deal for him.

#144 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

The hit wouldn't be much. For any player under 26, it's 1/3 of their remaining cap hit for double the length. If we were to buy out Tochkin's contract, as per your example, at the end of the season, his remaining salary would be $1.05M over 2 years. The Canucks would then take a cap penalty of $0.175M/year for 4 years.

You're also forgetting that the Canucks don't need to sign him to a contract for him to play in the AHL next season. With a 3rd year eligible draftee like Grenier, the Canucks can choose not to sign him and Grenier can sign an Amateur Try-Out Contract with an AHL club in the pre-season. If he makes the AHL club, he can spend up to 2 seasons on an ATO basis with that club before the Canucks would need to sign him to an NHL contract or lose his rights. Unfortunately for Grenier, it means he only gets the $10,000/year cheque from the Canucks and no income from actually playing in the AHL, so it's a pretty crappy deal for him.

Thanks for clearing that up! And I never even heard about the bolded part before. Good stuff. Posted Image

#145 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

Grenier up to 41 points in 38 games in his 2nd year of junior as an overager. Is a big boy at 6'04.

#146 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Mooseheads are on sportsnet tonight @ 4:00pm pst.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#147 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'm watching this Friday night CHL game on Sportsnet.

Alexandre Grenier just scored, overpowered the defensemen 1 on 1. I hope he can make the roster next year, he's already 20 and has the size we need for a forward.
http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#148 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Grenier just scored a beauty on a slick power move. Kid never even played Junior AAA. He made it last year in December and got drafted after a half length rookie season. He seems like a great pickup. :D

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#149 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

He's drawn two penalties and protects the puck fairly well. Very good skater, not just for his size either. His linemates (Drouin #27 & Boudreau #57) weren't helping him out very much at all, however.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#150 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

A late draftee like this doesn't really have to dominate. Optimistically, he projects as a big bodied bottom 6 forward. PPG is fine as long as he does all the other things the club covets. Folks mentioned him skating well and protecting the puck. Now its just about sound positioning, willingness to pay the price and, most especially, compete level and work ethic. Not a fighter, I know, but does he at least stick up for his teammates in melees, etc.? Perhaps someone who follows his club can answer that.

3rd round picks have a single % digit chance of making the show. Still, if he consistently delivers on the above, then, as I've said before, he may be in a Nuck uni sooner (and could stick for longer) than the likes of Schroeder and Rodin, one-dimensional guys that should have shown more based on their ranking/draft selection.

We have the Bruins to thank for making beef be the "it" thing once again. Mercifully MG caught on just in time for last year's draft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.