The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dasein

Ryan Kesler's rookie season in CCHA: 11G20A31P +4 44PIM in 40GP

Joseph LaBate's rookie season in CCHA: 5G15A20P 0 20PIM in 33GP - on pace for 6G18A24P in 40GP

Kesler was projected to be a solid 3rd line center after scoring 11 goals and 31 points in CCHA. LaBate is on pace for just 6 goals and 24 points - which isn't too bad, but considering that a 31 point player was projected as a 3rd liner, it seems like the best we can hope for in him is a 3rd line center. Obviously Kesler was a 1st round pick for a reason and LaBate a 4th round pick - but that is the best comparison that we can make right now for LaBate.

I don't know if Kesler team was stacked or that LaBate plays on a bad team or what not - which could effect production - but my hopes is that LaBate turns into a very solid 3rd line checking center using his size (6'4" 205lbs) to his advantage.

Unlike Kesler who turned pro right away after 1 year in CCHA, LaBate is committed for 3 more years - which is good because he will need that time to develop. I hope he just takes a longer time in turning into something like Kesler - but a poor man's Kesler is never a bad thing to have either.

If this kid has Kesler's work ethics, he'll be an impact player for us in the future.

Wisconsin is not in the CCHA, it's in the WCHA... but for comparison's sake

Kesler's season:

Buckeyes to a third place finish in the CCHA's regular season standings. At the 2003 CCHA Tournament, Kesler scored two goals as the Buckeye's finished in fourth place, losing to Northern Michigan 4–1 in the third place game.[16] Despite this finish, Ohio State secured an at-large bid to the 2003 NCAA Men's Division I Ice Hockey Tournament, the third appearance at the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship in Ohio State's history.[16] At the tournament, Ohio State suffered a 1–0 loss to Boston College in the opening round of the East Regional at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island, ending both the team's and Kesler's season.

whereas, Wisconsin finished 10th in the WCHA with 11W, 15L, and 2T for 24 pts.

They start their playoffs vs #3 Denver (16W, 8L, 4T, for 36 pts) which they split the regular season series with (1W 1L each).

game 1 of the best of 3 series is this friday.

got this from canuckarmy

How far away is he from the NHL? Does he need the full four years at college?

It's always hard to answer this type of question as players respond to strength and conditioning programs differently. There are a few things holding LaBate back right now, and it starts with his strength. He's got that frame that I mentioned, but he needs to fill it out with muscle. Wisconsin has one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the country with Jim Snider, and it would be best to see him in that program for at least three seasons.

I don't know if he needs all four seasons at Wisconsin, but I don't think he'll be in the NHL until after his four years of eligibility expire. Players in his mold tend to take a little bit longer to develop as they are growing into their bodies. I think he's about three years away from making the NHL. I'll take a guess and say he'll stay at Wisconsin through his junior season (year three), turn pro and spend a year in the AHL before cracking the Canucks lineup.

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/3/8/jose...arning-quickly

Labate's first season of college hockey is officially over, as his team lost to Denver 3-1. it was a long shot that they would have defeated them though, so it's not a surprising outcome. I hope he has a productive offseason and comes back stronger than ever.

Labate's first season of college hockey is officially over, as his team lost to Denver 3-1. it was a long shot that they would have defeated them though, so it's not a surprising outcome. I hope he has a productive offseason and comes back stronger than ever.

So... How'd he do this season?

Is that good in his league?

It's definitely good for a freshman. He'll get stronger this summer and on top of that, with the experience he gained this year, look for him to have a spike in production next year for Wisconsin. The talk about the kid is that he could be a real gem.

Archived