The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

1 minute ago, Senpai said:

Seems to work for Pittsburgh and the Hawks...

Evidently they didn't get the memo that fighting is quickly disappearing from the game. I'd rather we have a team that PLAYS HOCKEY with persistent, tenacious battle level and is hard to play against. Don't give an inch. 

We've got a couple guys who can chuck them for the rare instances that's required. It's not really a large concern of mine in player evaluation.

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm talking more about the intimidation part of the game.  Players are cautious while out there because they know he can cave them in if he really wanted to.  

And players will be cautious with Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Pedan, Virtanen, Horvat etc paying them hard as well. 

56 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I was impressed with Labate's compete level again tonight, he's playing like a guy who knows he has something to prove. Flattening Tkachuk and fighting Ferland is a pretty good way to win points with the fans, even though it wasn't much of a fight.

Thanks for bringing this back to Labate, I was looking for more insight on him and all I could find was a P***ing match between several posters.

Seems like maybe he is learning what his niche will be if he wants to make it as a pro, very exciting to see, especially from a guy who seemed all but done coming out of college.

Interesting.

scored a goal the other night.  Crashes the net. Hard on the forecheck.  Not a defensive liability.  Always hustling.  Good on the boards.  Throws one hit and gets in a fight so he's benched?  Wd must be missing Vey still.  What a neutering.

I think the problem with Labate is that altough he has played a very good game, is that he's still playing a very undisciplined and reckless game. He was in the box multiple times that night against Edmonton and some of them were untimely especially after he scored a goal. 

Anyways, I think Labate should be given a longer look since he's played so well so far. Just a little raw right now, and there is nothing a little coaching won't help. Overall really impressed. 

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

Interesting.

scored a goal the other night.  Crashes the net. Hard on the forecheck.  Not a defensive liability.  Always hustling.  Good on the boards.  Throws one hit and gets in a fight so he's benched?  Wd must be missing Vey still.  What a neutering.

In fairness, WD was likely looking for ANY way too stop the refs from crawling up his arse. Labate plays hard but he is a bit of a zebra magnet :lol:

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

In fairness, WD was likely looking for ANY way too stop the refs from crawling up his arse. Labate plays hard but he is a bit of a zebra magnet :lol:

Fair point.  I think the same thing (plays on the edge). However I felt his call on Tkachuk was borderline.  Guddy had two calls as well.  All in all I felt the reffing was questionable.  I just don't like this tactic by wd.  I felt labattes play to that point bought him some leeway and I'm sure the vets appreciate his tenacity.  If you're going to bench a player for that surely you could bench an etem or a Grenier (since waived so there is that) for complete lack of hustle and intensity.

22 hours ago, riffraff said:

Fair point.  I think the same thing (plays on the edge). However I felt his call on Tkachuk was borderline.  Guddy had two calls as well.  All in all I felt the reffing was questionable.  I just don't like this tactic by wd.  I felt labattes play to that point bought him some leeway and I'm sure the vets appreciate his tenacity.  If you're going to bench a player for that surely you could bench an etem or a Grenier (since waived so there is that) for complete lack of hustle and intensity.

The hit on Tkachuk was late but I love the way this guy plays. hes definitely going to be in the show at some point.

2 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Doesn't sound like Willie is at all upset with LaBate.

Was thinking Labate had passed Gren on the call-up depth chart.   He plays every shift with 'urgency' which is exactly what this club needs. 

Etem is about to begin a pivotal year in his career imo.   He'll surpass 200 NHL games this season and will be an RFA in July - time to ascend the depth chart or stay bottom 6 - your choice Emerson. 

15 minutes ago, combover said:

For what he brings he has been the best surprise of the pre season and the most noticeable. pesty stand up for himself and team mates hits scores and can skate. He's been great this preseason. 

Totally agree. I sure didn't see that coming. 

Archived