The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

1 minute ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Should be interesting to see whether its a one way or two way deal. I previously thought he'd be a contender for a fourth line spot in the fall, but given the Gagner and Burmistrov signings, our forward group is looking a little crowded so that seems a little less likely now. He'll probably start in Utica but will be a solid candidate for a call-up once injuries hit.

It's a two-way deal.

On 6/25/2011 at 1:58 PM, Barney Stinson said:

I hate all the talk of "steals" before none of these guys have even suited up for a NHL game yet

Chill out and don't get excited

Round 4                      

4 98 Columbus Mike Reilly D Shattuck St. Mary's [Minn.] 46 2 6 8 10 2016-17
4 99 New Jersey Reid Boucher L U.S. National Development Team [USHL] 112 17 20 37 18 2016-17
4 100 Toronto Tom Nilsson D Mora Jr. [Sweden]            
4 101 Vancouver Joe Labate L Holy Angels Academy (Minn.) 13 0 0 0 21 2016-17
4 102 St. Louis Yannick Veilleux L Shawinigan Cataractes [QMJHL]            
4 103 Carolina Gregory Hofmann F Ambri-Piotta [Swiss-A]            
4 104 Calgary Johnny Gaudreau L Dubuque Fighting Saints [USHL] 232 73 131 204 38 2016-17
4 105 Dallas Emil Molin L Brynas Jrs. (Sweden)            
4 106 NY Rangers Michael St. Croix C Edmonton Oil Kings [WHL]            

Hate to agree that you were right, Calgary got the bigger steal... 

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2017 at 8:56 AM, Katobaron said:

Labate posted some videos of him doing some combat training to his Instagram. Maybe it was something suggested by management at the end of year meetings?

Good for him. I hate to see young guys who can't really fight (there seems to be no momentum in his punches unlike say someone like Volpatti ) feel they have to risk concussions just to curry favour in order to stay in the NHL. 

If he learns how to fight I think we will see more confidence in his general play.

I actually think his best game is net front presence and forecheck. He also has a decent shot but is it an NHL goalie calibre shot?

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Joseph LaBate | C/LW
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I would say goodbye to LaBate.  He was injured a lot this season but even when he was healthy his development had stagnated. Just not a good enough skater and clumsy with the puck. He tried to add fighting to his resume but was never very good at it.

On 7/7/2017 at 2:53 PM, ruilin96 said:
Round 4                      

4 98 Columbus Mike Reilly D Shattuck St. Mary's [Minn.] 46 2 6 8 10 2016-17
4 99 New Jersey Reid Boucher L U.S. National Development Team [USHL] 112 17 20 37 18 2016-17
4 100 Toronto Tom Nilsson D Mora Jr. [Sweden]            
4 101 Vancouver Joe Labate L Holy Angels Academy (Minn.) 13 0 0 0 21 2016-17
4 102 St. Louis Yannick Veilleux L Shawinigan Cataractes [QMJHL]            
4 103 Carolina Gregory Hofmann F Ambri-Piotta [Swiss-A]            
4 104 Calgary Johnny Gaudreau L Dubuque Fighting Saints [USHL] 232 73 131 204 38 2016-17
4 105 Dallas Emil Molin L Brynas Jrs. (Sweden)            
4 106 NY Rangers Michael St. Croix C Edmonton Oil Kings [WHL]            

Hate to agree that you were right, Calgary got the bigger steal... 

Ah, "bigger" steal?   They got a steal but in now way, shape, form can he be described as "bigger" than much of anything.

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Size that will most definitely need to be replaced. Can't go into next season with just Gudbranson regulating things.

I agree, but I don't think Labate is a loss in any sense of the word. We have too many young wingers coming in to Utica this season.

4 minutes ago, Guile said:

I agree, but I don't think Labate is a loss in any sense of the word. We have too many young wingers coming in to Utica this season.

True. I never had a feeling like his game was going to translate at the NHL level.

On 03/05/2018 at 5:45 PM, UticaHockey said:

I would say goodbye to LaBate.  He was injured a lot this season but even when he was healthy his development had stagnated. Just not a good enough skater and clumsy with the puck. He tried to add fighting to his resume but was never very good at it.

Good call man. Also, just wanted to let you know I appreciate your insight about the team in Utica. As a west coast inhabitant I don't have the chance to watch as many Utica games as I would like. It's nice having a reliable sources providing updates at the farm.

Archived