The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

Nice report! Any chance he'll be on TV again for people to see?

they'll be on national TV the following days:

1-27 on fox college sports

1-28 on fox college sports

2-3 on the big ten network

2-17 on fox sports network

2-18 on fox sports network

3-2 on fox sports network

3-3 on fox sports network

if you have any of those networks you'll be able to follow him. I don't have any of those, unfortionately.

i'm not sure if any of these games (or any of the ones on their local channels) will be picked up by any other networks.

Joe has put together a nice little string of games. He's coming off a four point (1g 3a) weekend as the Badgers managed a two game sweep of Alaska-Anchorage.

Noteworthy to mention that all of his points came at even strength.

He currently has 6 points in his last 5 games, and 9 points in the last 9. His season stats to date are 5 goals, 13 assists for 18 points in 24 games.

These are impressive numbers for an 18 year old freshman. At 6'4, 195lbs, this could be our big pivot of the future. Still plenty (and I do mean plenty) of development left. But a very nice start to his collgiate career.

*Edit

Getting to play with Ducks 2nd rounder Justin Schultz, who is tearing up the NCAA, is certainly not hurting his production.

Joe has put together a nice little string of games. He's coming off a four point (1g 3a) weekend as the Badgers managed a two game sweep of Alaska-Anchorage.

Noteworthy to mention that all of his points came at even strength.

He currently has 6 points in his last 5 games, and 9 points in the last 9. His season stats to date are 5 goals, 13 assists for 18 points in 24 games.

These are impressive numbers for an 18 year old freshman. At 6'4, 195lbs, this could be our big pivot of the future. Still plenty (and I do mean plenty) of development left. But a very nice start to his collgiate career.

*Edit

Getting to play with Ducks 2nd rounder Justin Schultz, who is tearing up the NCAA, is certainly not hurting his production.

He's our replacement for Ryan Kesler - the big power forward shutdown 2nd line center.

Hodgson is in lineage to take over for the Sedins, and LaBate, the American, for Kesler. LaBate will begin on the 3rd line center and switch spots with Kesler as he levels down and LaBate gets better.

Ryan Kesler had 11G20A31P in 40GP for Ohio State in his rookie season.

Joseph LaBate is on pace for 8G22A30P in 40GP for Wisconsin this season.

Not bad for a 4th rounder.

The numbers Ryan Kesler put up above convinced many that Ryan would project to be a good 3rd line center. Hence, at this pace, LaBate projects to be a solid 3rd line center - just as Ryan Kesler was. What made Kesler different and unique was that he shattered the expectations set by others through hard work, willing and driving himself to be better.

It's up to LaBate to break this ceiling and evolve into a top 6 center like Kesler did. Otherwise, he looks to project to be a solid 3rd line center at this point - which, of course, is great for a 4th rounder.

Ryan Kesler had 11G20A31P in 40GP for Ohio State in his rookie season.

Joseph LaBate is on pace for 8G22A30P in 40GP for Wisconsin this season.

Not bad for a 4th rounder.

The numbers Ryan Kesler put up above convinced many that Ryan would project to be a good 3rd line center. Hence, at this pace, LaBate projects to be a solid 3rd line center - just as Ryan Kesler was. What made Kesler different and unique was that he shattered the expectations set by others through hard work, willing and driving himself to be better.

It's up to LaBate to break this ceiling and evolve into a top 6 center like Kesler did. Otherwise, he looks to project to be a solid 3rd line center at this point - which, of course, is great for a 4th rounder.

He most definitely has that work ethic, he nearly put on 10 lbs this summer while preparing for college. He weighed around 195 at the draft and is now 203 and counting, he could easily be 220 lbs in a few years. I'm excited for this kid and from what I saw of him he looks to be a solid 3rd line Center or Winger.

Labate and the boys got swept w. the 2 games they played in North Dakota over the weekend. I watched the game yesterday that was nationally televised on THE SCORE. I'm really impressed with his skating and his reach. He reminds me of Joe Thornton. Best case Scenario of course.

Nice article on Labate and his transition to the NCAA as an 18 year old.

http://badgerherald....he_pressure.php

Feeling the pressure, LaBate plays beyond his years. Straight out of high school, UW’s youngest forward finds spot on top line

By Kelly Erickson

Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:33 p.m.

Updated Friday, February 10, 2012 1:59:55 p.m.

Straight out of high school, Joseph LaBate embodies the youthful state of the Wisconsin men’s hockey team.Hockey is a rare beast in college athletics. Players can leave early for their shot at a professional career, but more often than not, they don’t even start their collegiate campaigns until they spend a few years playing in juniors after they graduate from high school.

But as one of Wisconsin’s youngest skaters — still only 18 years old — LaBate decided to skip those habitual years with a junior team where players generally get stronger and faster and have an opportunity to adjust for the pace of the college game.

“Everyone talks about how big of a switch it is both mentally and physically, with bigger guys and just the demand of what coaches expect from you,” LaBate said. “It’s a very big leap, and I think I’ve handled it pretty well. My family is pretty supportive of me, and obviously my teammates are too. I think I’ve handled it pretty well and keep trying to do it day by day.”

While knowing the jump would be more difficult, the Eagan, Minn., native didn’t expect to find himself consistently skating on the top line. Skating alongside sophomore forwards Mark Zengerle and Tyler Barnes, LaBate has notched five goals this season and 14 assists. His 19 points are fifth most on the team — but the most of any freshman.

While his stats could certainly be better — sitting 20 points behind team leader Zengerle, who has 39 on the season — head coach Mike Eaves has some pretty high — and tough — expectations for his youngest forward.

“We’ve got a true freshman, an 18-year-old man who’s coming out of high school, and we’ve got him on our top unit, so he’s expected to some degree to be able to put numbers on the board,” Eaves said. “We’re expecting him to be good down in his own zone. It’s like he goes from being an undergraduate to getting graduate course work in terms of where he comes from and the responsibilities that we’re giving him. It’s a lot to handle, … (but) he’s a battler.”

This “battler” attitude that Eaves describes is a quality that has led to his progression throughout the season, something his linemates can’t deny.

“It’s been tremendous growth he’s had over the year, just with his strength, his speed, his awareness out there — it’s a lot faster game; it’s a big jump,” Barnes said. “It’s a lot of little things that you can see him picking up on and seeing the ice a lot better and making plays.”

Standing tall at 6-foot-4, 195 pounds, LaBate gave UW its most recent victory by knocking in the game-winning goal with just over four minutes to go in the third period in a 3-2 victory over Alaska-Anchorage Jan. 21.

The goal certainly made LaBate stand out and served as a sort of benchmark from his progress, but when he first stepped onto the first line, it was admittedly intimidating.

“Oh yeah,” LaBate said. “I remember when I came into practice, … and I looked up and I saw I was with Zengs and Barnes on the first line, and I was like ‘holy smokes, this is a big step,’ and I just tried to focus on playing my game. I’ve just done that ever since. They’re such good linemates to have, so supportive and stuff, and we gel pretty well together.”

When deciding where to commit, LaBate was specifically looking for a school where he’d have the chance to play immediately and get as much experience as possible. For him, Wisconsin was that team — more than he even knew, at the time.

“I wasn’t expecting this big of a role right away,” LaBate said. “I’ve been really enjoying it. I’m pretty lucky to be on a team where I can play this much and have this much responsibility, so I think it’s just good for me. It’s going to benefit me in the future.”

But, he definitely had a lot to learn, specifically some little details that high school hockey just can’t provide.

“You learn a lot of little stuff,” Zengerle said. “Obviously, he’s a skilled player, and he skates well and handles the puck well and shoots well, but you learn a lot of things away from the puck and things like that, and things in the d-zone — just so many details that Coach Eaves teaches you that you wouldn’t think of before you get here.”

But with such a youthful team trying its hardest to make something out of its up-and-down season, a lot of pressure falls on LaBate and the first line as a whole. Barnes acknowledged that they are completely aware of this pressure off the ice, but on the ice, it disappears.

“There’s definitely a lot of pressure, but we don’t really let it bother us too much,” Barnes said. “We’re used to it; we just go out there and play. Once you go out on the ice you notice it. … On the ice, everything’s carefree. You’re out there just playing. He’s done a really good job this year just filling the role and he’s grown a lot over the year, and it’s been fun playing with him.”

Eaves is well aware of the amount of pressure he’s put on LaBate, but he still has some higher expectations that the freshman has yet to meet.

“We put a lot on his shoulders, but we think eventually, by sticking with him, it’ll pay off for us, Eaves said.

“I wish there was fruit on the vine right now, we’re just getting little buds on it, but the fruit’s coming. He’ll be damned good one day.”

I've had high hopes for this kid since draft day.

I really hope he can turn into our shutdown 3rd line center in the near future (3-5 years).

Big frame, good skating, decent hands, American - all the pre-requisites for the making of a Ryan-Kesler-esque center - I just hope he has Kesler's work ethic which got him to the level he is at today.

Archived